• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Mana Regeneration : is there a calculator ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mana Regen is capped at 18.

Is there somewhere a calculator to figure out up to what spells (whether magery or other spellcasting abilities) one could cast a go-go (i.e. replenishing mana right away) when at the 18 MR cap ?

Thanks.

I also have a question about Spell Damage Increase (SDI).

Does it only affect offensive spells (those which do damage...) or also "defensive" spells like, for example, Heal and Greater Heal or several Spellweaving or other casting abilities defensive spells ?

That is, for example, having high SDI allows to heal more damage casting Greater Heal as compared to not having SDI ?

If so, is there also a calculator which, depending on the SDI level, allows to calculate how much more points Greater Heal can heal ?

Thanks.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Is there somewhere a calculator to figure out up to what spells (whether magery or other spellcasting abilities) one could cast a go-go (i.e. replenishing mana right away) when at the 18 MR cap ?

Thanks.

Does it only affect offensive spells (those which do damage...) or also "defensive" spells like, for example, Heal and Greater Heal or several Spellweaving or other casting abilities defensive spells ?

That is, for example, having high SDI allows to heal more damage casting Greater Heal as compared to not having SDI ?

If so, is there also a calculator which, depending on the SDI level, allows to calculate how much more points Greater Heal can heal ?

Thanks.
I guess you never do any research before you post. Instead you count on that others are going to do the work for you. There have been numerous manaregen topics the last weeks so im gonna leave that to you to find out.

When it comes to SDI it only effects damage spells.

Heres a couple of spells that have their effectiveness based on magery skill.
Heal and greater heal is dependant on Magery and so is cure and arch cure. The higher your magery the higher the amount healed.

Your chanse to land poison on another player allso goes up as your magery raises. It does get countered by your enemys resisting spells though.
Curse effectiveness it the same as above.

Reactivate armor and magic reflection has its effectiveness based on Scribe.

Thats just some examples. You could say that SDI only applys to magery direct damage spells. I cant think of a single helpfull spell that gets better with SDI.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you never do any research before you post. Instead you count on that others are going to do the work for you. There have been numerous manaregen topics the last weeks so im gonna leave that to you to find out.

Actually, I did, but I could not come up with a calculator not in the sense of something that tells what spells can be cast indefinitively at X level of Mana Regen.

Besides, it gets even more complicated if one, besides, MR+ items has also Wisp or Lich form from Necro which seem to offer the fastest mana regen.

The calculator I am looking for, ideally, would be capable of taking into account all sources of possible mana regen like from having meditation (passive), MR items, necro Wisp or Lich form and so forth.

When it comes to SDI it only effects damage spells.
I kinda thought it but wasn't sure. This means the game is actually missing mods for defensive spells ? Or is there anything which can boost defensive spells just like SDI does it for offensive ones ?

By the way, summons are considered what ? Offensive or Defensive (because they can be both at once....). SDI affects summons duration ?

Heres a couple of spells that have their effectiveness based on magery skill.
Heal and greater heal is dependant on Magery and so is cure and arch cure. The higher your magery the higher the amount healed.

Yes, I was hoping, though, that like SDI increases the power of offensive spells (damage...), so there could be something that worked also for Heals, Greater Heals and Cure and Arch Cure boosting them (besides one's own Magery level, that is....).

Thats just some examples. You could say that SDI only applys to magery direct damage spells. I cant think of a single helpfull spell that gets better with SDI.
If for helpfull you mean defensive than I suspected right ? The game is lacking a mod to boost defensive spells ?

What about spellweaving Arcane Empowerment spell ?

Its descriptions reads :

For the duration of this spell, the caster’s damaging spells and healing spells are increased in effectiveness. Summoned creatures and animated undead are also increased in effectiveness.
Does it only work for Spellweaving spells or also other spells like from Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism ?

If it does, how exactly, for example, does casting Arcane Empowerment effect Greater Heals and the damage that gets actively healed per spell cast ?

The description for Arcane Empowerment also says :

Arcane Circle Bonus: +10% (+1% vs. player characters) damage modifier per additional arcanist. +5% healing modifier per additional arcanist. +2 seconds duration per additional arcanist.
If one gets a level 6 circle Focus do I understand it right that the healing bonus becomes +5% x 6 = +30% and it lasts +2 x 6 = +12 seconds ?

It is really kinda complicated if all of these MR items, skills, spells, interact with each other cumulating their effects, and that is why I was looking for a calculator which could handle them and show in practical terms the bonus in terms of mana spending depending on what spells one needs to cast.....

G

Gelf

Thanks.

Thanks.
the one on stratics is the most up to date for mr(theres no cap just diminishing returns), check the ask the devs section for formula. sdi does not give a bonus to anything but damage, with one exception. that would be arcane empowerment it gives 10 sdi plus 5 sdi per focus lvl(40 sdi with a lvl 6 focus), also gives a 10% bonus plus 5% per focus lvl healing(damage only) bonus. 40% for a lvl 6 bonus.

one thing to note is it works with the healing and vet skill as well(only checked the vet part though)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the one on stratics is the most up to date for mr(theres no cap just diminishing returns), check the ask the devs section for formula.

Are you sure MR has no CAP at all but only diminishing returns ?

Here [http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=30743] it says it is capped at 18......

If it is not Capped and only has diminishing returns, what is the "breaking point", that is, the amount of MR one wants to reach and not pass it because the bonus ain't worth the mod slot spent ?

sdi does not give a bonus to anything but damage, with one exception. that would be arcane empowerment it gives 10 sdi plus 5 sdi per focus lvl(40 sdi with a lvl 6 focus), also gives a 10% bonus plus 5% per focus lvl healing(damage only) bonus. 40% for a lvl 6 bonus.

That's for SDI but what about Arcane Empowerment ?
It's description mentions increasing "damaging spells and healing spells" alike.

But only those pertaining to Spellweaving, or also all those damaging and healing spells pertaining to all other spellcasting skills like Magery, Chivalry, Necromancy, Mysticism ?

If yes, in what way does Arcane Empowerment increase Greater Heal, for example ?

one thing to note is it works with the healing and vet skill as well(only checked the vet part though)
But Veterinary is not a spell !! It is a skill.....

You mean Arcane Empowerment increases the healing ability from the Veterinary skill ?
In what way if I may ask ?

If Arcane Empowerment increases the vetting healing for pets, than I should imagine that it should also increase the healing ability of the healing skill for characters ??

A

A Rev

There was a very good calculator posted by a player quite recently...look.

Arcane empowerment affects all spells.

There is a little icon in your buff bar that tells you the intensities...again...look

MR is not capped and has been stated many times...ONCE again...LOOK

The poster is wrong, Vet is NOT increased by arcane empowerment, only casting. Vet is only increased by animal lore and vet skill.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, as in regards the 18 MR CAP (unless there is no CAP and only diminishing returns). is the CAP only for items' bonus ?

That is, is it possible to cumulate the passive meditation from 120 meditation skill, bonus from necro Lich/Vamp form AND also the 18 MR bonus ?

And if there is no CAP but diminishing returns, do they get diminishing only for MR items or also for the meditation skill passive mana regen or necro Vamp/Lich forms ?

Bottom line is, cumulating all one can, how fast will passive meditation end up being ?

In order to max MR then, probably a cristalline ring is needed and also the MR3 Invasion spellbook.

This means, that only with an Ornament of the Magician FCR and FC will be 3 and 2, respectively.

Now, how limiting is, not being able to have FCR 6 and FC 4 but having fast Mana Regen ?

Head should be Hat of Magi, shield a Tongue of the Beast for the MR 3 and Invasion Spellbook in hand. Neck a Pendant of Magi.

Are there items which can help raise FCR and FC for other slots ?
Or is it possible to imbue FCR and FC on pieces other than jewellery like arms, gloves, legs ?

Candidate Pieces could be (any more suggestions ?) :

- Hat of Magi MR 4 INT 8 SDI 10% Fire 5% Cold 9% Poison 20% Energy 20%
- Pendant Of Magi MR 3 INT 10 SDI 5% LMC 10% LRC 30%
- Crystalline Ring Magery +20 Focus +20 MR 3 SDI 20% HPR 5%
- Ornament Of The Magician FCR 3 FC 2 LMC 10% LRC 20%
- Invasion Spellbook SDI 30% MR 3 LRC 10%
- Shield Tongue of the Beast [Replica] MR 3 SR 3 Physical 10% Energy 5%
- Rune Beetle Carapace Mana Incr 10 MR 3 LMC 15% Physical 5% Fire 3% Cold 14% Poison 3% Energy 14%
- Lieutenant Of The Britannian Royal Guard [replica] INT 5 MR 2 LRC 10%
- Crimson Cincture Dex 5 HPI 10 HPR 2%
- Conjurer`s Garb MR 2 Luck 140 DCI 5%

Jolly slots )to be able to fill in missing resistances/mods) to still cover :
- Arms
- Legs
- Gloves
- Feet
- Talisman ?

Totals so far are :

- MR 23 / INT +23 / Mana Incr 10 / SDI 65% / LMC 35% / LRC 70% / Magery +20 / Focus +20 / HPR 7% / FCR 3 / FC 2 / Dex +5 / HPI 10 / Luck 140 / DCI 5%
Physical 15% Fire 8% Cold 23% Poison 23% Energy 39%

Now, MR is 5 points over the 18 CAP while LRC is 30% short (but can be covered with the 4 remaining pieces arms, legs, gloves, feet). FCR is also only 3 and FC only 2.
How does SDI 65% sound ?

Resistances are short (for all 70s) of Physical 55% Fire 62% Cold 47% Poison 47% Energy 31% (which should be coverable in between arms, legs, gloves, feet).
Protection Earrings could help with 2% in some resistance that is too short.... And I think there is also some footwear carrying some resistance.

Suggestions for alternate solutions/pieces ?
Perhaps swap a Scrapper's with SDI 25% and no MR but carrying FCR and FC with the Invasion Spellbook ?

Would this outfit be capable of fast, non stop casting Greater Heals in alternative to Vetting a pet under heavy damage ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a very good calculator posted by a player quite recently...look.

I have been looking using Stratics' search engine and google but this calculator that is comprehensive of anything which might affect MR I could not find.

Maybe I was not good in my search, not sure, but I could not locate the post.

Perhaps I used the wrong words in my search ?

You remember something about the post or name of the calculator so that I can search it with better words for better results ?

Thanks.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, as in regards the 18 MR CAP (unless there is no CAP and only diminishing returns). is the CAP only for items' bonus ?

That is, is it possible to cumulate the passive meditation from 120 meditation skill, bonus from necro Lich/Vamp form AND also the 18 MR bonus ?

And if there is no CAP but diminishing returns, do they get diminishing only for MR items or also for the meditation skill passive mana regen or necro Vamp/Lich forms ?

Bottom line is, cumulating all one can, how fast will passive meditation end up being ?

In order to max MR then, probably a cristalline ring is needed and also the MR3 Invasion spellbook.

This means, that only with an Ornament of the Magician FCR and FC will be 3 and 2, respectively.

Now, how limiting is, not being able to have FCR 6 and FC 4 but having fast Mana Regen ?

Head should be Hat of Magi, shield a Tongue of the Beast for the MR 3 and Invasion Spellbook in hand. Neck a Pendant of Magi.

Are there items which can help raise FCR and FC for other slots ?
Or is it possible to imbue FCR and FC on pieces other than jewellery like arms, gloves, legs ?

Candidate Pieces could be (any more suggestions ?) :

- Hat of Magi MR 4 INT 8 SDI 10% Fire 5% Cold 9% Poison 20% Energy 20%
- Pendant Of Magi MR 3 INT 10 SDI 5% LMC 10% LRC 30%
- Crystalline Ring Magery +20 Focus +20 MR 3 SDI 20% HPR 5%
- Ornament Of The Magician FCR 3 FC 2 LMC 10% LRC 20%
- Invasion Spellbook SDI 30% MR 3 LRC 10%
- Shield Tongue of the Beast [Replica] MR 3 SR 3 Physical 10% Energy 5%
- Rune Beetle Carapace Mana Incr 10 MR 3 LMC 15% Physical 5% Fire 3% Cold 14% Poison 3% Energy 14%
- Lieutenant Of The Britannian Royal Guard [replica] INT 5 MR 2 LRC 10%
- Crimson Cincture Dex 5 HPI 10 HPR 2%
- Conjurer`s Garb MR 2 Luck 140 DCI 5%

Jolly slots )to be able to fill in missing resistances/mods) to still cover :
- Arms
- Legs
- Gloves
- Feet
- Talisman ?

Totals so far are :

- MR 23 / INT +23 / Mana Incr 10 / SDI 65% / LMC 35% / LRC 70% / Magery +20 / Focus +20 / HPR 7% / FCR 3 / FC 2 / Dex +5 / HPI 10 / Luck 140 / DCI 5%
Physical 15% Fire 8% Cold 23% Poison 23% Energy 39%

Now, MR is 5 points over the 18 CAP while LRC is 30% short (but can be covered with the 4 remaining pieces arms, legs, gloves, feet). FCR is also only 3 and FC only 2.
How does SDI 65% sound ?

Resistances are short (for all 70s) of Physical 55% Fire 62% Cold 47% Poison 47% Energy 31% (which should be coverable in between arms, legs, gloves, feet).
Protection Earrings could help with 2% in some resistance that is too short.... And I think there is also some footwear carrying some resistance.

Suggestions for alternate solutions/pieces ?
Perhaps swap a Scrapper's with SDI 25% and no MR but carrying FCR and FC with the Invasion Spellbook ?

Would this outfit be capable of fast, non stop casting Greater Heals in alternative to Vetting a pet under heavy damage ?

Im not really sure why you post here if your not going to trust the posters any way.
MR has NO CAP, it do however suffer from diminishungretuurns.
MR is based on INT, Meditation & Focus. Ther higher your value is in those skills the more you will get from each point of MR.

Are you aware of how diminishingreturns work? That should be reason enough not to build a suit like the one you posted above.

Tangle has 2MR
Faction Orny has 3MR
Faction Crystaline Ring has 3 FCR

I will say this again. MR has NO CAP, that means that you can stack all the MR that you listed +Necro from and Whisp. I do however belive that its stupid to stack that much MR.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im not really sure why you post here if your not going to trust the posters any way.

Not saying that at all. Just getting confused because the Stratics Item Properties page at http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=30743 lists Mana Regeneration as capped at 18.

Ok, I guess that the Stratics' page is mistaken.

MR has NO CAP, it do however suffer from diminishungretuurns.
MR is based on INT, Meditation & Focus. Ther higher your value is in those skills the more you will get from each point of MR.
I thought diminishing returns means that at higher levels of MR the bonus was decreasingly lower...... That is, for example, from 0 to, say 10 MR the boost to mana regeneration from the MR mod was a good one and then, from MR 11 and onwards the bonus received from the MR mod would still increase but only less and less and less to eventually stop giving any bonus at some MR or be so marginal to basically mean no more bonus increases.....

That's not how it works ?

Are you aware of how diminishingreturns work? That should be reason enough not to build a suit like the one you posted above.

Tangle has 2MR
Faction Orny has 3MR
Faction Crystaline Ring has 3 FCR

I will say this again. MR has NO CAP, that means that you can stack all the MR that you listed +Necro from and Whisp. I do however belive that its stupid to stack that much MR.
So, if 23 MR is overdoing it and the bonus would not match the mod slots used up, at what MR one should stop to have the best, say, "bang for the buck" ??

If I can, I would prefer going with regular items/artifacts and not faction ones and, unfortunately, Tangle comes with a price tag out of my reach (some 80 millions....).

I did not know that faction artifacts had different mods than their regular equivalent....
I thought they were just all alike, only with the "Faction Item" tag on it.

If my suit design seems not well assorted, what suit would you then suggest with the goal of it being needed by a Tamer wanting to be able to keep up healing a pet with Greater Heals only (and the occasional GCures when needed). The casting ability should be fast enough and mana regen recover fast enough to keep the pet ok also under heavy load of hits (like from higher end MoBs).

I used the stratics calculator at http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/meditation.php and assuming the following :

- 120 Meditation
- 140 Intelligence
- 18 MR from items
- 0 Focus

The calculator says that in medable armor the regen rate would be 2.58 mana points per second.
Lowering MR from items to, say 15, would only reduce regen rate to 2.47 mana points per second.

So, freeing up 3 MR to swap with some other mod would only reduce regen rate by a one tenth of a second.

Now, the real question is, since Greater Heal has a Mana cost of 11, regenerating 11 points would take 11/2.47 = 4.45 seconds.

That is, an ability of casting 1 Greater Heal every 5 seconds or so.

Is it enough to keep a pet alive when under heavy duty combat ?

Or do I need to further increase the amount of points of mana regenerated per second ?

How ? Using necro lich/vamp form ?
Using Spellweaving Arcane Empowerment spell ?

Or, would it be more efficient to increase the health healed per GHeal cast (so that it could be cast less frequently thus allowing more mana ro regain), rather than trying to further increase mana regen rate ?

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im not going to quote and answer every single question but i will do my best help you.
You have however missed the most important point. Whats your Template?
If your goal is to keep your pet alive while casting spells instead of using bandages you might want to add spell weaving. It has a heal over time spell that is great to couple with Greater heals.
I just feel that you havnt given us all the information the more i think about it.
Is this like a sort of follow up on you "solo dread horn with a tamer" thread?

Hat of the magi and pendant of the magi are both great for mana regen since they allso gives you INT. Ornament of the magician is probably your best bet for the bracelet slot and Totem of the void is allso a nobrainer.
Those 4 Artifacts alone gives you:
LRC 50
MR 7
LMC 30
INT 18

Awww i cant continue with this unless you give me all the information. Im just asuming things that might aswell be wrong. I will give you some advice though.

Dont get 6 FCR, 5 is just as good.
Aim for around 10-12 MR or so.
There is a better way of killing dread horn with a tamer *Hint*There is a safe way to use bandadges*Hint*
LMC is more important then MR untill LMC reaches 40%
Total mana/int is not to be undervalued
etc etc

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awww i cant continue with this unless you give me all the information. Im just asuming things that might aswell be wrong. I will give you some advice though.

There is a better way of killing dread horn with a tamer *Hint*There is a safe way to use bandadges*Hint*

Well, the idea started from tackling Dread Horn as a tamer, and since Dread Horn has an area effect spell which can bring trouble if a tamer is near the pet, vetting it, I started thinking how feasible it was to actually heal the pet from a distance without vetting but using Greater Heals.

Gift of Renewal from spellweaving could be an added bonus but is it enough, toghether with Greater Heal, to keep a pet alive against high end Monsters ?

Then, since I realized that there are other MoBs besides Dread Horn which can be a pain when vetting at a close distance, I just decided to develop a template and suit which would allow taming also in those instances where vetting a pet close by is just not possible, due to area effect spells.

And that is why I am now exploring all options.

The skills needed to get the job done are not a problem. I have Magery, Meditation, Spellweaving, some Necro and Mysticism but if other skills would be good to have to obtain the result I am looking for, I can always train them up.

I just need to come up with a way to be able to cast Greater Heals fast enough so to be able to catch up with the damage suffered by the pet when hunting big game.....

The problem is that, as compared to Veterinary, Greater Heal heals far fewer health points. That is, in 5 seconds veterinary can heal up way more points than Greater Heal.

So, and that is my project study, how can I bring Greater Heal to be as effective as veterinary or, at least, close to it so that even when hunting big game pets can be healed without veterinary but through Greater Heals ?

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would advice you to go look through the tamers forum.
Someone posted how to postion them self when fighting dread horn to be able to heal the pet with bandaids without getting hit by the AOE damage.
He posted screenies and everything.

I personaly feel the Eval is is more or less wasted on a tamer for PVM.
I would probably go with spellweaving. Spellweaving allso grants the abbility to finish creatures of with WOD wich is great for solo purpose.

Thi is actually a really easy suit to build.
Hat of the Magi
Pendant of the Magi
Imbued Tunic
Imbued Leggings
Imbued Sleeves
Imbued Gloves
Ornament of the magician
Crystaline Ring
Invasion Spellbook
Totem of the Void
Tangle
Conjurers Garb
Luck sandals or Int Boots

Imbued parts should all have 8Mana Increase, mixandmatch lrc and LMC to cap. After that just fill resist gaps.
This suit would give 14 MR even if you dont imbue a single piece with MR.
This set up would allso give you a nice chuck of SDI:
30 from Book
20 from Crystaline ring
5 PoM
10 HoM

etc etc

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would advice you to go look through the tamers forum.
Someone posted how to postion them self when fighting dread horn to be able to heal the pet with bandaids without getting hit by the AOE damage.
He posted screenies and everything.
As I said, while initially I thought of doing this for Dread Horn, now, considering that also other high end MoBs result in problems for a tamer wanting to heal a pet with Veterinary due to their use of area effect spells, I decided to build a template and suit in any case, for Dread Horn and also other MoBs which make it difficult to heal with Vet.

Therefore, I need to come up one way or the other, with an efficient template and suit which would allow through the only use of Greater Heals, to maintain a pet allive even when fighting high end MoBs.

I personaly feel the Eval is is more or less wasted on a tamer for PVM.
I would probably go with spellweaving. Spellweaving allso grants the abbility to finish creatures of with WOD wich is great for solo purpose.
Possibly, yes, Arcane Empowerment, Gift of renewal, Gift of life, Word of Death all can give good help.

Thi is actually a really easy suit to build.
Hat of the Magi
Pendant of the Magi
Imbued Tunic
Imbued Leggings
Imbued Sleeves
Imbued Gloves
Ornament of the magician
Crystaline Ring
Invasion Spellbook
Totem of the Void
Tangle
Conjurers Garb
Luck sandals or Int Boots

Now you got me really confused here.....
The suit you suggest now is not much different to the one I initially suggested if not for Totem of the Void and Tangle.

But in your earlier post you did not like it.

Did you change your mind or am I missing something here ?

With that type of suit using the mana regen calculator, I figured that I need about 5 seconds to recover the 11 mana points lost for each Greater Heal cast.

I wonder if it is enough to keep a pet alive (one Greater Heal every 5 seconds) considering that GHeal does not heal much........

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now you got me really confused here.....
The suit you suggest now is not much different to the one I initially suggested if not for Totem of the Void and Tangle.
Well there obviusly is a diffrence when my suit gives 14MR while your suit was getting about 25+mr.
When im building a suit i normaly aim for 10-12. The reason that one gets 14 is the new tangle, wich is great for MR.

Another route could be Meditation+Focus.
120 Meditation
120 Focus
12+MR
40LMC
200ish mana

Isnt that enough then sir, it wont work.

W

Walkerboh77

someone above was spewing false info

MR DOES have a cap

simply looking at the formula gives you the cap(MR 30)

from what i'm told evidently item MR is capped at 18....and spells like lich form will allow you to go beyond that cap....but no matter how far beyond 30 you go....it won't affect your MR the slightest iota

however it doesn't really matter if that's true or not.....it's in the formula the dev gave.... 30 is the ultimate cap for MR...no matter how you achieve it

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
someone above was spewing false info
Were i spewing false info? Easy up now bro.
The site they linked to does give bonus above 30mr according to the calc.
120 Meditation
120 Focus
120 INT
30MR
=
5.05 manaregen
If you change 30 MR to 31 MR you get 5.06.

I havnt looked at the actuall formula in the thread someone linked to before, However. Im just speculating here 30 MR was the maximum number of MR you could achiev from items before tangle was introduced. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I remember when the MR change happened, and at that point there certainly wasnt a cap. Noxin tested it him self and posted his resaults, i even think he was a part of the team somehow, cant remember.
To bad that his site is down.

---------------------------------------
  1. Base Mana Regen Rate is 0.2 mana per second
  2. Focus Bonus is Focus / 200 mana per second
  3. Let Meditation Bonus be 0.0075 * Meditation Skill + 0.0025 * Intelligence Attribute
  4. If your Meditation Skill is GM or above, multiple Meditation Bonus by 1.1
  5. If you are actively meditating, multiply Meditation Bonus by 2
  6. Let Base Item Bonus be (Meditation Skill / 2 + Focus Skill / 4) / 90
  7. Multiply Base Item Bonus by 0.65, then add 2.35
  8. Let Intensity Bonus be the square root of the sum of your Mana Regen intensities, capped at 5.5 (30 total intensity).
  9. Let Final Item Bonus be ((Base Item Bonus * Intensity Bonus) - (Base Item Bonus - 1)) / 10. This is mana per second.
  10. Add the Base Mana Regen Rate, Focus Bonus, and Item Bonus. Add your Meditation Bonus only if you're not wearing non-meddable armor. The result is your total mana regeneration per second.
----------------------------------------------

It all looks like a wall of text to me. Do you mean that the bolded part is refering to 30 Mana regen from items?

G

Gelf

The poster is wrong, Vet is NOT increased by arcane empowerment, only casting. Vet is only increased by animal lore and vet skill.
Well it might not now, not sure, but it definitely did when i tested it a couple years ago(before i took SW off tamer). of course could have been a bug too, i suppose.

W

Walkerboh77

Were i spewing false info? Easy up now bro.

[*]Let Intensity Bonus be the square root of the sum of your Mana Regen intensities, capped at 5.5 (30 total intensity).

It all looks like a wall of text to me. Do you mean that the bolded part is refering to 30 Mana regen from items?

sorry i get excited...yes the 30 intensity...or more importantly the 5.5 cap of the sqrt of total intensities

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry i get excited...yes the 30 intensity...or more importantly the 5.5 cap of the sqrt of total intensities

You mean, 5.5 mana points regenerated per second ?

Hmmm, that would not be bad.. It would mean, in my case, that I could regenerate the 11 mana points lost casting Greater Heal, in 2 seconds......

Question is, what do I need to do/have, so to reach the 5.5 mana points regenerated per second ?

I tried entering 30 MR in the calculator but it did not get that high.

I entered in the calculator 120 meditation, 150 INT, 120 Focus and 30 MR and yet, it only gets up to 3.65 mana points passive meditation per second when wearing meddable armor.

Now, 3.65 mana points per second is a loong far away from 5.5 (merely 2/3 of it).

I am still missing something to cover that 1/3 still missing up to 5.5 but what is it that I need to do or wear to get that high up ?

W

Walkerboh77

no....i mean the sqrt of the variable for that part of the equation representing the mana regen property is capped at 5.5

not to be confused with your actual mana regen

the item portion(5.5) is only a part of the your actual mana regen calc.,....the calc on stratics is right....go with it

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no....i mean the sqrt of the variable for that part of the equation representing the mana regen property is capped at 5.5

not to be confused with your actual mana regen

the item portion(5.5) is only a part of the your actual mana regen calc.,....the calc on stratics is right....go with it

Well, since I am having trouble finding ways to increase my mana (passive) regen points in 1 second time (with reasonable outfit I am only within the 2.5 to 3 points per second regenerated), and since this still means 4 to 5 seconds needed to regain the 11 points of mana lost per Greater Heal cast, to further shorten this time I thought, since addressing it through Mana Regen was too complicated (I cannot seem to figure out, because the calculator does not have an option for this, how would using Necro Lich/Vamp form change this...), to look at the Lower Mana Cost thus reducing the amount of mana needed to cast Greater Heals substantially bellow 11 mana points.

Now, the Stratics' Item Properties page lists LMC as capped at 40%. Is this still valid ?

The suit I was thinking of, reached 35% but still has 4 "jolly" slots to fill (gloves, arms, legs and footware). This means I should be able to reach the 40% LMC CAP.

Now, http://uo.stratics.com/content/professions/mage/items.shtml says

Lower Mana Cost (LMC) does pretty much what it says on the label - it lowers the mana it costs by adding up however much LMC you have, and subtract that from the total mana cost. Example, if you have 35% LMC and cast a flame strike, you will only have to pay 40 - 35% = 26 mana for it. Very nice ability to get as high as possible. This ability was capped at 40% in publish 25.
Therefore, by meeting the 40% CAP, my Greater Heals would cost 11 - 40% = 6.6 mana points.

In order to be able to cast a Greater Heal every 2 seconds and keeping healed the pet I would need to find a way to have my mana be passively regenerated at 3.3 points per second.......

Not wanting to pick up Focus to be able to use the 120 points for Spellweaving, instead, assuming 120 Meditation, 150 INT and 25 MR (using tangle instyead of the crimson cincture) the meddable passive mana points regenerated per second comes out as 2.82 points per second.

Still somewhat short to the 3.3 points target......

How to further raise it ?

Cannot raise Meditation any further, already at max 120. Raising MR above 25 seems difficult and I also have the problem that I was willing to swap the 3 MR invasion spellbook with a Scrapper adding FC/FCR and if I do that, I am now short of 3 MR which I need to pick somewhere else....

Anyways, even trying to push INT to 168, max allowed, only gets me to 2.87 points regenerated per second.

How the hell can I reach 3.3 points of mana passively regenerated per second ??

Even with 120 Meditation, 168 INT (max possible) and 30 MR I only get to 3 points of mana passively regenerated per second.

Increasing MR beyond 30 gives no benefit, points regenerated stay at 3 per second even with 35 MR....

Even though I stay with the 3 points per second, I would need to put up a suit that allows for 40% LMC, 168 INT, 30 MR and, of course, 100% LRC as well as good FC/FCR and resistances coverage.

Any good ideas ?

P.S., I'd really love to bump into a calculator which ALSO could help me factor in whatever bonus Necro Lich/Vamp form would add to the above in increasing the amount of mana points regenerated per 1 second of time.....

Unfortunately, the Stratics' calculator only factors in Meditation, Focus, INT and MR from items. It does NOT also factor in necro lich/vamp form bonus.....

By the way, as far as skills, possibly the template could be :

- 120 Animal Taming
- 120 Animal Lore
- 120 Magery (better healing)
- 120 Meditation (for better mana regen)
- 120 Spellweaving (for Arcane Empowerment, Gift of Renewal, Gift of Life, Word of Death)
- 120 ??? Necro ? Eval Int ? Veterinary ?

I left the sixth skill open and not put eval int by default, because, that I know of, Eval Int has no effect on GHeals and amount healed (has instead effect on offensive spells as in regards of damage done).

So, it might be used as a jolly skill for whatever might be more usefull for the need. I still would not be willing to use it for 120 Focus, though. I think 120 Eval Int or, even Veterinary (for those times that things go nasty and pet dies...), could come more handy than 120 Focus.

Any good ideas here as well ?

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only suggestion to you Popps is have you figured in your casting speed?

You can regen as fast as a rabbit, but if you can only cast greater heal every 6 seconds your mana will be regened by then.
As long as your mana has regened as fast as you can get the spell off that should do it.

The question might be can you cast Greater Heal fast enough to keep your dragon alive fighting the beasty, while regening enough mana to keep casting?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only suggestion to you Popps is have you figured in your casting speed?

You can regen as fast as a rabbit, but if you can only cast greater heal every 6 seconds your mana will be regened by then.
As long as your mana has regened as fast as you can get the spell off that should do it.

The question might be can you cast Greater Heal fast enough to keep your dragon alive fighting the beasty, while regening enough mana to keep casting?

That is a very interesting question........ problem is, that before doing a "field trial", I wanted to -at least "on paper"-, get the best set up possible and then, try it for real....

Or. alternatively, learn from someone else's experience...

But apparently, it seems noone likes healing their pet with Greater Heals, at least, not exclusively and massively as I am planning to do.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is a very interesting question........ problem is, that before doing a "field trial", I wanted to -at least "on paper"-, get the best set up possible and then, try it for real....

Or. alternatively, learn from someone else's experience...

But apparently, it seems noone likes healing their pet with Greater Heals, at least, not exclusively and massively as I am planning to do.
I think many tamers do heal their pet with greater heals. Its just that most ppl dont have to create a topic about it beofe they try it out.
The otherway around would probably better, ie try a template/suit out, then come back with questions and tell us what you belive went wrong.

I dont even have Vet on most of my templates and i feel that my MR is sufficient with 120 Med, 12-14mr, 40LMC and about 150 INT.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think many tamers do heal their pet with greater heals. Its just that most ppl dont have to create a topic about it beofe they try it out.
The otherway around would probably better, ie try a template/suit out, then come back with questions and tell us what you belive went wrong.

I dont even have Vet on most of my templates and i feel that my MR is sufficient with 120 Med, 12-14mr, 40LMC and about 150 INT.

Well, considering that, in order to make up a suit that might allow to keep a pet alive only with Greater Healing, no veterinary, one would need to spend a lot of millions, perhaps asking if it worked to fellow players who have already gone there and done that, before spending the millions needed to buy those items, might not be such a bad idea ??

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
test center is another option people often forget about!