• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lots of guild bashing, but what's the real problem?

G

Many of us came here because it is dangerous. It remains dangerous, so we stay. The problems which cause people to leave (or fewer to arrive) are far more complex than any one guild "chasing them away."

There have always been "bad" or "meanie" guilds and "overpowered" templates here. So, let’s quit picking on the guild or template de jour and make some noise about the issues that may end this game as we know it.

The dynamics of the introduction of KR is a big issue; stiff competition probably even greater. Until UO decides to market this game, it will continue to bleed membership. Unless KR survives, I suspect EA will shed it completely.

So, since there will probably be no marketing until KR is working, I suppose we must sign on to that format (God I hate I am saying this). Only then can we help move the game in a marketable direction.

I

imported_mo'gluk

I agree hence why I have started playing it more ....even if orcs look even uglier than I would like...

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

I have yet to download KR for the basic reasons that the graphics of the game
does nothing for the premise of the game. The look and feel is just something
that EA wants... I am comfortable with 2D view. KR is not an improvement!
If I am forced to download KR then I will ; but, that is not going to change the
play.
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

I

imported_Luka Melehan

Still waiting for a map we can play alliance with.

I

imported_Pestilence Hemp

I had high hopes for KR (probly to high) and after months and months, i still cant get the damn thing to run. it was running well for awhile few patches later and it never ran again. ive downloaded and redownloaded it, installed it several times. then ultimatly ive uninstalled all of it. this game is unfortunatly dead, ive enjoyed it for many years, but time to let this beatin horse lye!

A

Alex the Gray

you sadly have a good point. I may order the cd and download it from there, though I hear there are still 2 weeks of patches following that.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

EA hasn't really marketed uo in ages. Not sure if KR will change this. Just look at ML that didn't even go out in a box. When AoS came out I checked at thhe local Wal-Mart and they didn't even plan to stock it and for good reason. EA has pushed online sales of the game so why should a store stock something that they can't sell. When they put out the 8th? the box didn't include the latest expansion so anyone buying it immediately needed to rush out for the expansion.

For the last few years the box set didn't include a decient map and the only good map of the lands was only available if one downloads UOAM - with KR we lose even that. It is like EA plans their marketing to sell to existing players all the while trying to drive players off by not fixing the things that are broken in the game which drives the existing players off.

The idea a new face that they are pushing in KR might be a good one but KR doesn't cut it. It is ugly and I at least find it unplayable.

M

mabesiege

*Waves* at Pest. I miss you old friend. You kept me inline;>) Anyhoo on to my post.

I started playing uo a few months after release. I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months...then years playing uo. In those days we were all mages and loot we did. We'd loot yer boots, bags anything we could take. Heck, we couldn't go in town:) Before i trail off on the past I'd like to say wassssup to these people. Angel, Sireloc, Pandamonium, Kinniver, Ace..and of course Mabe..i know i stole yer name!! I still think about you guys! We finally left uo when we were no longer able to res because of stat loss. Who knows why our group didnt come to siege, maybe we felt the good times were over.
I didn't break from gaming i went right into EQ/WOW etc before coming back to uo 2 years ago. Why did i come back to uo? Truth is nothing else in the marketplace came close to what I wanted out of a game. The newer mmorpg's seem restricted to me, I like open lands and fresh air. Instance's and boring quest's combined with hours of grinding stupid groups of monsters. No thankyou, i wanna play with people not monsters!!! These are some of the reason's i came back to uo and continue to stay here.
I will say this about returning to the game. The learning curve was forever. Outdated info on stratics combined with limited/mixed info from players left me asking questions night after night. Playing a mage in todays uo was different than before. Infact, so much so that i wasn't fast enuff nor had the correct *coughs* to do much. I ended up stoning my mages skills and i'm throughly enjoying my sammy. I wish i would've known this before wasting so many hours on my mage skills.

Now, how do we get people to this shard? The only place u can kill and LOOT yer fellow player. The place were when u die you lose stuff. We are different and there arent many options out there for people who like this playstyle. What happens when you kill someone in the newer mmorpg, last time i played one i killed someone and got some freaking medallion or something. I don't want that, i want what the guy/gal put on for clothes this morning. I want his/her armor and rings. I don't want bragging rights... i want the loot...Thats' what seige is...we get loot here ...thats one way to market our shard...i don't know of many games these days were pvp loot applies...Anyhooo im done...long live siege!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

*Waves* at Pest. I miss you old friend. You kept me inline;&gt;) Anyhoo on to my post.

I started playing uo a few months after release. I spent countless hours/days/weeks/months...then years playing uo. In those days we were all mages and loot we did. We'd loot yer boots, bags anything we could take. Heck, we couldn't go in town:) Before i trail off on the past I'd like to say wassssup to these people. Angel, Sireloc, Pandamonium, Kinniver, Ace..and of course Mabe..i know i stole yer name!! I still think about you guys! We finally left uo when we were no longer able to res because of stat loss. Who knows why our group didnt come to siege, maybe we felt the good times were over.
I didn't break from gaming i went right into EQ/WOW etc before coming back to uo 2 years ago. Why did i come back to uo? Truth is nothing else in the marketplace came close to what I wanted out of a game. The newer mmorpg's seem restricted to me, I like open lands and fresh air. Instance's and boring quest's combined with hours of grinding stupid groups of monsters. No thankyou, i wanna play with people not monsters!!! These are some of the reason's i came back to uo and continue to stay here.
I will say this about returning to the game. The learning curve was forever. Outdated info on stratics combined with limited/mixed info from players left me asking questions night after night. Playing a mage in todays uo was different than before. Infact, so much so that i wasn't fast enuff nor had the correct *coughs* to do much. I ended up stoning my mages skills and i'm throughly enjoying my sammy. I wish i would've known this before wasting so many hours on my mage skills.

Now, how do we get people to this shard? The only place u can kill and LOOT yer fellow player. The place were when u die you lose stuff. We are different and there arent many options out there for people who like this playstyle. What happens when you kill someone in the newer mmorpg, last time i played one i killed someone and got some freaking medallion or something. I don't want that, i want what the guy/gal put on for clothes this morning. I want his/her armor and rings. I don't want bragging rights... i want the loot...Thats' what seige is...we get loot here ...thats one way to market our shard...i don't know of many games these days were pvp loot applies...Anyhooo im done...long live siege!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You Sir capture much of what Siege represents. I beleive there are many like you who have yet to share the experiece. Unfortunately, they will likely never hear of the game since it is not in the marketplace.

I do hold one bit of hope. That KR will be completed, 2d will remain an option, and a new expansion that includes the promised new race of characters will arrive via a highly advertised and available package.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

There have always been "bad" or "meanie" guilds and "overpowered" templates here. So, let’s quit picking on the guild or template de jour and make some noise about the issues that may end this game as we know it.

The dynamics of the introduction of KR is a big issue; stiff competition probably even greater. Until UO decides to market this game, it will continue to bleed membership. Unless KR survives, I suspect EA will shed it completely.

So, since there will probably be no marketing until KR is working, I suppose we must sign on to that format (God I hate I am saying this). Only then can we help move the game in a marketable direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters... because very few have realized that... this is not the time to raise any issues at EA/Mythic.

They are preoccupied with a bunch of other [censored] right now. The problem is and isn't us. There are scores of UO fans playing emulated versions of UO... why is it that we are the only [censored] game out there that actually has emulations of itself so popular their noise can be heard?

This has very little to nothing to do with thin or thick skin...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters... because very few have realized that... this is not the time to raise any issues at EA/Mythic.

They are preoccupied with a bunch of other [censored] right now. The problem is and isn't us. There are scores of UO fans playing emulated versions of UO... why is it that we are the only [censored] game out there that actually has emulations of itself so popular their noise can be heard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we could successfully raise issues with the company to which we represent paying customers. That is part of the problem.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we could successfully raise issues with the company to which we represent paying customers. That is part of the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how do you differentiate between crying and legitimate complaints?

A huge obstacle I've encountered has been that we prevent the own betterment of ourselves. Look at the private housing issue for example... or how people complain about RoT?

I see Uthva's posts about how hunting sucks... it does. I've been telling people to push for making PvM fun/worthwhile again but the focus is so scattered.

I said the problem is and isn't us for a reason... like the "bad timing to raise issues" thing... few people probably picked up on this.

Oh and I hear ya Uthva... I really do, even when it seems like many don't.

That is why whenever I'm on... you can find me in Wind. It's a great place to hunt and suggest people head there for their hunting needs. It's gimp free and you got me looking out (when I'm on of course.)

Merry Christmas and see you all around.

A

AntiOTF

<blockquote><hr>

why is it that we are the only [censored] game out there that actually has emulations of itself so popular their noise can be heard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it was written in pre historic times, and any idiot with the least bit of knowledge in the old pre historic (dos/C?) language can emulate it perhaps?

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

why is it that we are the only [censored] game out there that actually has emulations of itself so popular their noise can be heard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it was written in pre historic times, and any idiot with the least bit of knowledge in the old pre historic (dos/C?) language can emulate it perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think the tech people of this world can't copy and paste code for newer software?

Seriously... there's an impenetrable invisible forcefield protecting the software of every other MMO out there...

seriously...

I

imported_mo'gluk

well the fact that there are emulators has less to do with ability to write as it does with the negligence of EA/Origin to protect its proprietary information. When they chose not to squash them at the onset it provided a legal loophole for any of them to continue to use the "world" of britannia.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

well the fact that there are emulators has less to do with ability to write as it does with the negligence of EA/Origin to protect its proprietary information. When they chose not to squash them at the onset it provided a legal loophole for any of them to continue to use the "world" of britannia.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is... how many of those people would be playing the same UO we do had they not have screwed with the fundamentals of this game so much.

I really don't think that's a problem... I think the reason why you don't see emulations with such popularity as ours is because well... the majority of people are satisfied with the game as is...

not wishing the game was something it once was...