• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new anncouncement concering the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the annoucnement Here!

[Archery] Looking for a archery build

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
My archer is currently a disco/archer. I am looking for something fun to try but something I can do some solo stuff with. Currently my template is as follows:
111.9/120 Archery
103/120 Chivalry
102.3/120 Discord
110/110 Tactics
110/120 Music
110/120 Peace
the rest in focus going down

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Howdy Lestat,

I've only been back a few weeks but I remember your name and I wanna say we played together regularly, but that maybe me talking out my backside. I'm old and it would have been many years ago.

Anyways, I'm kinda in the same boat as you, only I'm an ABC archer. Looking for somethiong with a bit more ommphh so to speak.

Skill/real/cap
Anat 117.7/120
Tactics 105/115
Bush 80/115
Chiv 100/115
Archery 117.3/120 (gem to 120)
Healing 100/110
Resist 100/100

You can tell, based on caps and present levels, I've been thru a few different builds. All of them fun, but looking for more/different/nastier/something?

Were you on Baja back in the day Lestat, in the guild SOA? Is that where I know you from?

Anyways, good luck to us both and anyone who can assist with some ideas.

Haz

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Were you on Baja back in the day Lestat, in the guild SOA? Is that where I know you from?
I have played on Baja off and on but was never in a guild. I mainly played Cats years ago. I moved to LA when it opened and then to Chessy in 2007.

Reactions: Mac

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My wraith archer:
Archery, Tactics, Anatomy, Chivalry, Resist Spells, Spirit Speak, Focus

- Max Tactics and Anatomy for high damage.
- GM Spirit Speak with some jewels that add skill points to leach back more mana
- Chivalry for some of the utility spells of being able to travel with sacred journey, dispel evil summons, remove curse. I do not have full slayer sets on this character, so will also use EOO depending on situation.

Point of build is to have high mana regen and leach to keep chaining AI as much as possible for high damage per tick. Need atleast 20 Necro to maintain Wraith form, which can be accomplished with JOAT from human. I have separate jewels and book I macro on in order to cast wraith form. Even when not in wraith form, still very effect.

My stealth archer:
Archery, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Resist Spells, Hiding, Stealth

- My particular build has two suits - a 211 Stam suit and a Stealth suit. I only run 40 real Stealth and get to 120 Stealth with items on a second suit that has 182 Stam.

I'd like to think both are a little outside of the standard "ABC" build. Good luck !

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a lot of fun with my AMC archer.
120 archery
120 mace
120 resist
100 tact
100 ana
090 heal
100 chiv
I mostly did rikkitor/oaks with this template, fairly cheap template to make except for the 120 resist powerscroll, but u be fine with 100 for pvm, i sometimes swapped chiv for ninja for pvp.

Reactions: Mac

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, maybe I just remember you from the forums years back Lestat, and good morning to the others posting here.

Decided on a Disco Archer. Based on what I've been reading, kinda appears it's a pretty standard sorta build. Thanks for the comments about the builds you use, bunch of interesting stuff out there to try. I'll let yas know how it goes after training a bit.

Haz

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya know what, I do have a question for everyone now that I think about it.

Resist or Anatomy?

Presently:
Music
Disco
Tactics
Bushido
Chiv
Archery
Resist or Anatomy

Kinda leaning towards Resist

Jepeth

Journeyman
Governor
Ya know what, I do have a question for everyone now that I think about it.

Resist or Anatomy?
Anatomy factors into the damage formula and increases Bushido's evasion ability. From personal experience on my archer resist feels very underpowered in pvm.

Last edited:

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, here we are...

Anat 100/120
Archery 115/120
Bush 80/120
Chiv 100/120
Disco 110/120 (One set of jewels for the startup, Disco'ing, and then
Music 110/120 switch to set for fighting, does that sounds right?)
Tactics 105/115

Thats real/cap.

Time to get to work on the gems, My imbuing is 117, but damn if I remember much, lol. I have done some playing, need to figure out a few macros for the Enhanced to remove some key strokes. Playing has just been testing but is fun. Will add to this when my next step is done.

Any suggestions from you good folks?

Haz

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, here we are...

Anat 100/120
Archery 115/120
Bush 80/120
Chiv 100/120
Disco 110/120 (One set of jewels for the startup, Disco'ing, and then
Music 110/120 switch to set for fighting, does that sounds right?)
Tactics 105/115

Thats real/cap.

Time to get to work on the gems, My imbuing is 117, but damn if I remember much, lol. I have done some playing, need to figure out a few macros for the Enhanced to remove some key strokes. Playing has just been testing but is fun. Will add to this when my next step is done.

Any suggestions from you good folks?

Haz
Interesting choice.
What you should pick is kinda dependent on what you aim at hunting, i kinda see 2 options here, either single target or not.
Personally i find disco most suited for single target, unless you hunt with a group of people like roof or something.
I would roll with something like
120 archery
120 tactics
120 music
120 disco
120 bush
080 chiv / buff this with juwels
060 poisoning (or any other combat skill)
740 skill points.

Reasoning why i would dish ana is to get 300 combat points to reach max mana reduction so i can dish out more special moves...AI AI.
Since you can honor, and use a slayer weapon chiv is not super needed, but nice to have for heals, and u can always stone off poison, and stone on more chiv if u need it for roof/EM events or something else.
chiv at 80-100 still cures/heal pretty decent.

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Kaio for the heads up for the max mana reduction. Since I've just returned, I have little experience to base some decisions on, so I have a few more questions. Please know I have been looking in multiple locations for answers to these and they have been unclear, or I have just not found them yet.

Is it more important to have the max reduction based on 300 points in skill or the damage bonus supplied by Anat? What I mean is, I'd be using both the specials and damage bonus the way I'm setup now (specials would be tied to mana of course), but once mana is gone I'd still have the damage bonus working....right? If I remove anat and use only the mana reduction from the 300 skill points for more specials, I'm still gonna run out of mana eventually and then have no damage bonus backing up my shots..right? This is where your experience Kaio, and the rest of you, will far outweight mine. Somewhere, at some level, there is a point where the two different scenarios cross paths in damage done, making one better than the other, but I dont have the experience to know where that crossing is, you guys might. I hope what I'm asking is clear.

Another question, this about Real vs Modified skills. I know that, in barding for mastery work, you need Real, not Modified numbers. I think I read, maybe wrong here, that Real numbers are needed for Tactics, but I don't know about the rest of my skill list, meaning Archery, Bush, Chiv and I'll say I go for the Max Reduction so Swords for the third combat skill. Anyone know off the top of their heads?

Thanks as always,
Haz

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My wraith archer:
Archery, Tactics, Anatomy, Chivalry, Resist Spells, Spirit Speak, Focus

- Max Tactics and Anatomy for high damage.
- GM Spirit Speak with some jewels that add skill points to leach back more mana
- Chivalry for some of the utility spells of being able to travel with sacred journey, dispel evil summons, remove curse. I do not have full slayer sets on this character, so will also use EOO depending on situation.

Point of build is to have high mana regen and leach to keep chaining AI as much as possible for high damage per tick. Need atleast 20 Necro to maintain Wraith form, which can be accomplished with JOAT from human. I have separate jewels and book I macro on in order to cast wraith form. Even when not in wraith form, still very effect.

My stealth archer:
Archery, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Resist Spells, Hiding, Stealth

- My particular build has two suits - a 211 Stam suit and a Stealth suit. I only run 40 real Stealth and get to 120 Stealth with items on a second suit that has 182 Stam.

I'd like to think both are a little outside of the standard "ABC" build. Good luck !
What kind of bows do you use? I know on a melee it's pretty much always crafted weapons (slayer, elemental, HLD, depending on scenario), but I do recall seeing archers with legendary bows. I am making my very first archer, so any and all advice is appreciated.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Mac As an archer you will get into mana issues, unless you go the wraith route, with max mana reduction cost, you should be able to get more specials in, and hopefully get mana back with hit mana leech.
There was a calculator where you could calculate damage output, sadly i couldn't find it :(

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What kind of bows do you use? I know on a melee it's pretty much always crafted weapons (slayer, elemental, HLD, depending on scenario), but I do recall seeing archers with legendary bows. I am making my very first archer, so any and all advice is appreciated.
I have full set of crafted elemental bows. Generally with Damage Increase, Swing Speed Increase, Hit Lower Defense, Hit Mana Leach and a 5th mod that I will change up (couple have a different hit leach, couple have a hit spell). No hit areas for this guy because it's generally not what I use him for. Bows aren't too difficult to craft, so I have a bunch from over the years. I do not generally use Legendary bows as most have strange mods.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have full set of crafted elemental bows. Generally with Damage Increase, Swing Speed Increase, Hit Lower Defense, Hit Mana Leach and a 5th mod that I will change up (couple have a different hit leach, couple have a hit spell). No hit areas for this guy because it's generally not what I use him for. Bows aren't too difficult to craft, so I have a bunch from over the years. I do not generally use Legendary bows as most have strange mods.
Thank you for the information. And if you wanted to make a hit area bow, would you use a Magic shortbow for that?
Edit: And another question - do you use any bows with overcapped HML (not sure if that's possible in bows)?

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you for the information. And if you wanted to make a hit area bow, would you use a Magic shortbow for that?
Edit: And another question - do you use any bows with overcapped HML (not sure if that's possible in bows)?
Neither one of my archers is really used for spawning. While I have both comp bows and mag shortbows with hit area on them, I am not getting much use from them at the moment. The wraith archer does best in low-movement / stationary type of fights. The Stealth archer is more for PVP and keyying certain Peerless where stealth can help.

The only overcap mod I have on any bows are a few where I have 40 SSI. The wraith archer has HML on his bows, but right now, I have so much mana leach and regen in the template that it is almost overkill. I would probably be okay without it having 120 Spirit Speak in the template, in addition to having some points in Focus and high 29 Mana Regen on the suit. You should adjust to whether or not you feel like you're managing your mana well enough to justify having it on your bows.