• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Logging out to stable or retrieve your pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why don't they just put a delay for pets to time out if player logs out / crashes if not stabled.

So if either scenario happens they could stay there for say 2 mins then pets would log.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes but if folks lose connection and can't get it back then their pet can go wild and they lose their pet. This was put in to prevent that from happening. Taking it out would cuase many tamers to lose thier pets which is a huge issue.
No...if you lose connection your character still logs out after 5 minutes

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunaly, sometimes it does help to let the people in charge know that we expect more as paying customers and we're tired of doing their job for them. They may not like it. They probably won't read our rants.. But some of us are not just going to gobble up any 10% effort and 90% goofing off publish on a game we love. Things that they add to the game which improve the game, we appreciate, and they are already thanked with our hard-earned cash.

If we don't receive 110%, we'll be on the boards whining about it if not cancelling our accounts. Will that kill UO? No, it will always be around in some shape or form, even after EA decides to pull the plug.
Of course I'm not going to suggest that ranting is bad, it does help let publishers know if we don't like something. Rather I'm suggesting that it hinders any attempts at a consensus if someone does nothing but criticize others and add nothing to the discussion. It is the attempts at getting a consensus on what we want that helps give them a direction on where to go in improving it.

In terms of this discussion a pet logging out when the player does actually does log out seems like a good change. But if someone is going to purposely abuse this system would it really change that dramatically than how it is now?

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No...if you lose connection your character still logs out after 5 minutes
You do but your pet doesn't at least not always. This was the reason that pets logged out the instant you do now.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You do but your pet doesn't at least not always. This was the reason that pets logged out the instant you do now.
I very much doubt that they'd hire devs that incompetent

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I very much doubt that they'd hire devs that incompetent
No but this game isn't exactly bug free given its history. Change A to B is never that simple in UO given how old this game is.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My idea would be if you log out to save the pet then the only way to retrieve the pet is by going to the stable or using a pet ball.

There Fixed.

And if there is a bug with this i propose the bug is fixed instead of just skirting around it.

Im affraid this dosnt compute i neither revolve my life around uo or expect uo to revolve around me and i actually determined my shard as it had the better Ping and primetime classed as my pimetime. Easy
I like the 1st idea as a good compromise to fix some of the issues.

As far as you second response (bolded for clarification), you don't think Uo should revolve around you or you around UO either. Hoever, I am 100% against anything that would not allow me to play whatever shard I want to play whenever I want to play it, and still be able to participate in the game how I choose. Especially since, as I stated, I have friends....and not all of those friends are in the same geographical area as I am...or I am not even always in my "home" timezone when I play...or due to shift reasons, I am not available to play for weeks at a time during "peak time". .

But again, back too the pets, I like the stabling the pet at logoff/connection loss, and either a pet summoning bakk or a stable needed to retrieve it...probably also with a cool down timer akin to the combat timer.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Con loss can be faked and abused.

Also Con loss is one of those things it happens why do we have to have mechanics to prevent the loss of a pet? On that basis on a con loss a player should be sent to their house so they dont die or loose anything in their pack?

The period of time lost maybe 5 - 10mins tops big deal........
If the issue were that if you lost conn, and when that happened, an item had a chance of being lost, I am sure the outcry would be quite loud. Just because it is a tamer issue does not mean that the bug is insignificant.

But again, if the pet could be made to auto stable and then need to be retrived rather than popping back in, then I believe the biggest abuses would be fixed.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes but if folks lose connection and can't get it back then their pet can go wild and they lose their pet. This was put in to prevent that from happening. Taking it out would cuase many tamers to lose thier pets which is a huge issue.
I like gorbs idea up earlier, it actually makes a lot of sense, if you disconnect while a pet is out it's killed and immediately stabled as a ghost, combine that with taking away a pets ability to "join" you while in spawn and other non-teleport areas and the exploits are closed and the pets are still safe.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like gorbs idea up earlier, it actually makes a lot of sense, if you disconnect while a pet is out it's killed and immediately stabled as a ghost, combine that with taking away a pets ability to "join" you while in spawn and other non-teleport areas and the exploits are closed and the pets are still safe.
Would that be in conjunction with changing the pet summoning balls so they work in Ilshenar and the Abyss?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Would that be in conjunction with changing the pet summoning balls so they work in Ilshenar and the Abyss?
Especially since they DID use to work in the non-spawn areas of Ilshenar, until a few years ago.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I laughed at this.
I hadn't read the posts here for a day or so. I think Mervyn is new. He doesn't really realize the ramifications of his ideas or huge mistakes that have been made in the past. (Remember when you could smelt bods? LOL!) So give him a break and explain why you're laughing.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well, then, I guess if you get disconnected in either place while using a weapon, the weapon should go to your bank box and you'll have to go retrieve it.
Special compensation for tamers has been made for years. It's why tamers are "hated" by so many people.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, then, I guess if you get disconnected in either place while using a weapon, the weapon should go to your bank box and you'll have to go retrieve it.
disconnecting a dexxer generally means dead & rummaged anyways, so by all means send all my gear to the bank for me for free! it would save me millions!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll just butt out now. It's clear I'm in over my head. I was merely thinking of the many times these days I seem to lose connection while playing UO. Seems to happen five or six times a day. You guys are the experts. Have at it. I'm done.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exactly Tina

This has been the way it is for YEARS now, why all of a sudden is it a problem? I seriously hate it when one person puts up something as an issue, and everyone then jumps on the bandwagon with how x y or z will 'fix' it even tho it is really a NON issue, accept perhaps for a few ppl in Fel that may have a problem with others they think are abusing in some way, however, a pet without an owner is basically just spawn, so no idea what the fuss is about. The thing is, changes to this will result in just some other 'problem' for the fel players. As has happened in the past: problem with Hide on tamers in fel, ok change it an nerf all tamers that had hide on their template, problem with ppl using the protection spell in fel, ok change it and nerf all mages in both facets so they need recast it every single time they die, time and time again you see where some problem in fel nerfs something for all.

Making a pet go back to a stable upon disconnect so you have to retrieve it from there will certainly be a fantastic idea when in the middle of doing a peerless once the keys have 'expired' so you can't reenter or places where you cannot use a ball (most fel dungeons, ilsh dungeons), basically get disconnected and you may as well leave the fight, and frankly, having to drag a pet through 5 levels of a dungeon to get to where you want to fight is NOT an option that will improve any tamers enjoyment of the game. Heck if you do that then all mages should not be able to invis on their way there to make it 'fair'.

But yes, let's make a tamer return to the stable to claim a pet on disconnect, but if we are doing that then yes, we should make it fair that all weapons return to the bank box too.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
disconnecting a dexxer generally means dead & rummaged anyways, so by all means send all my gear to the bank for me for free! it would save me millions!
So you don't insure your weapon? Silly then

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you don't insure your weapon? Silly then
<- Points at shard icon in profile

This has been a problem for a long time and (at least on siege) has gotten worse lately, it's being abused to death. I would assume it's starting to happen more on other shards too due to talk recently, especially in factions. Tamers stealthing down to somewhere and relogging to pull their pet to them in areas pets teleporting to them is explicitly disallowed, and faction tamers using it to retrieve pets lured away from the battle (because it's an impossible fight to sit there tanking a few thousand HP off a few GDs while mages hammer at you) by hopping in a friended house, so they don't have to "risk" losing a pet ball. It's a tamers only exploit, no other characters have this magical "relog" they can do to pull their weapon back to them if lost.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it is the same for 'both' sides of the fight, am sure each faction/guild has it's own share of tamers all using the same tactics, if not then suggest you guild some in :p This is just this weeks 'abuse' change it and another will be there next week and basically everyone gets screwed in the process including the majority of Tram players who do NOT have a problem, by the 'few' that want to pvp with tamers. Personally IMO you shouldn't be able to pvp with Tamers or summons, it should be spells or whacky sticks only.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it is the same for 'both' sides of the fight, am sure each faction/guild has it's own share of tamers all using the same tactics, if not then suggest you guild some in :p This is just this weeks 'abuse' change it and another will be there next week and basically everyone gets screwed in the process including the majority of Tram players who do NOT have a problem, by the 'few' that want to pvp with tamers. Personally IMO you shouldn't be able to pvp with Tamers or summons, it should be spells or whacky sticks only.
Personally, I agree with you on that, my personal opinion is that pvp with pets is not pvp at all, it is non-consensual pvm.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have no pvp tamer scum in minax, it's COM that needs to cheat to be competitive :)

Perhaps we should run speehacks too to keep competitive, since everyone is exploiting it ?

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what about all the other bugs with pets and pet commands

Sometimes pets get stuck for no reason when fighting any monster and u cant call them back (only way to get them unstuck is 2 kill the monster,pet dies or logg out/in)
Sometimes or most of the times pets can not follow you true sparkles
Sometimes pets get left on shore when entering a ship (this happens most of the time when using the older ships with gangplanks )
Sometimes when your pet dies it start running south it will keep running untill it hit an obstacle

This is just a few i m sure there are many more put an agro timer on pets now will be wery anoying

Fix all the other bugs first then put a 2 min agro timer on pets i m sure most tamers could accept that

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 8753
(not that I think any dev did, as it was implemented, if I remember correctly, to resolve a bad bug with disappearing pets)
Yes, at one point if you placed a house over a pet it would get crushed and disappear forever, but you'd still have a spot taken by a pet. Never to be seen again :S Im sure there were more issues similar too.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about in Fel instead of the pet being auto-stabled it is auto killed when you lose connection or log out as a ghost, but resurrecting the pet when it dies in this manner would not cause skill loss?
Not just Fel all game areas and let the pet be killed by spawn or players. Why should the pet not suffer skill loss? thats like telling me i can place a bet on the football for a team to win and if they loose i still get my money.... irish. Youve taken your pet out to fight if it dies it looses skill if u get con loss and it dies you loose skill points it happens.

TBH is this is acceptable for tamers pets if i get con loss i expect to not have skill loss in stat. Same principle tbh.

And this became a big pain at the introduction of dread warhorses and greater dragons because they have a lot of hp do a lot of damage and get saved just before they die just incase they get the kill on someone. Exploit.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggested it as middle ground. I'm assuming the devs implemented the auto-stable feature because they were unable to make the pets properly time-out when player logs or loses con (perhaps due to the way players lose con when the servers are going down for maint). It still allows players to cheat death for their pets, but at least forces them to either wait the resurrection time penalty from NPC vets, find someone to rez their pet, or rez the pet using bandages if they have sufficient vet skill for the pet.

Phangs_of_Phage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This has been a big deal since it was introduced (pub 16 i think). It has constantly allowed tamers to grief in pvp. Stand in a house send you dragon out and log when it starts getting attacked... No one here sees a problem with that? And Flutter was right, special compensation has been made for tamers for years, this is crap.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the pvp aspect of abusing this feature it frees up the necessity for a player to incorporate the vet skill in their templates. Logging prevents pet death which means no need for vet skill. It's like a blue player running from a murderer red lined then just entering heartwood (which is pointless to have in fel) to avoid death and there's nothing you can do about it. Player skill becomes void which a lot of people find really annoying...

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
This has been a big deal since it was introduced (pub 16 i think). It has constantly allowed tamers to grief in pvp. Stand in a house send you dragon out and log when it starts getting attacked... No one here sees a problem with that? And Flutter was right, special compensation has been made for tamers for years, this is crap.
Well nothing changes since you can do exactly the same thing with a petball, ok you save a charge but you also stay in game with all bars and such up.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well nothing changes since you can do exactly the same thing with a petball, ok you save a charge but you also stay in game with all bars and such up.
Almost, but this "trick" is used in non-teleport areas, and that would require bothering to pay for pet balls (which need to be replaced once you use them too much like a BOS). On siege they're a whopping 10k or so gold and lootable on death so people are even MORE afraid to carry them.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no problem with a tamer using something like a pet ball or even recalling out to save a pet. Pet balls have restrictions and need to be charged up. Recalls don't work everywhere either. A player logging out of the game has an advantage over those who don't - log out works everywhere, doesn't need charges and negates the need for any vet skill. You shouldn't be able to circumvent a whole system of pets die, get resurrected and have a skill penalty by quitting the game at the right moment. The same risks should apply to all tamers when we screw up, not just those of us who stay logged in and choose to let it happen. It's a pity this trick doesn't extend to players, I imagine it would have been fixed on sight then lol.

Also, this isn't just a Fel/PvP issue. In Tram, if you hunt alongside a tamer and things get tough, you can bet they'll try pulling this trick a lot of the time. Then you end up fighting their spawn alongside the stuff you had on you already. It's a very good way to get someone killed if they're not watching the pet and its owner to get warning of a logout ;) And again, it means a tamer doesn't need vet skill - heal with magery and log out to prevent death. An extra 100-120 skill points in a tight template is pretty useful if you can avoid the pet death inconveniences by logging out heh.

Wenchy

O

Old Man of UO

I think everyone is forgetting the Miners and Lumberjacks who use blue beetles or packies. If there is anything in their packs, they can't insta log out with you, they lose loyalty and can go wild. Any changes (which I really don't think is needed, but whatever) needs to make sure that these aren't negatively affected on disconnection.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think everyone is forgetting the Miners and Lumberjacks who use blue beetles or packies. If there is anything in their packs, they can't insta log out with you, they lose loyalty and can go wild. Any changes (which I really don't think is needed, but whatever) needs to make sure that these aren't negatively affected on disconnection.
Exactly what I've been saying. It's not just something that effects tamers who obviously can't PvP.... This is something you are talking about that will effect ANYONE with pets. Folk with horses, folk with packies, folk with ferrets, even Golems, and many other pets. Think before you condemn with your ideals. Yes a few bad apples do indeed use the feature as a crutch.... but honestly is that so bad that you have to call for a change that will basically harm FAR more than it helps.

You know I have this to say I wish all this FEL BS would stay in FEL. Sort of like the fix to keep whinny poor PvPers from running home tail between their legs and swapping characters to run right back and fight some more only to get spanked again. I totally HATE how now I can't run home and change characters because when I got home some stupid Mongbat was sitting on my steps and I auto shot the accursed thing and now I have to wait forever.

Just saying.

Phangs_of_Phage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Change should never have been implemented in teh first place. All that needs to be put in is a 5 min delay or the 2 min combat timer delay. Problem solved. If your pet goes wild in 2 or 5 mins then you dont need to be using it int he first place

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I just think the combat timer should apply for pets as well as players, when a player logs a pet shouldn't insta-log it should have to wait the 2 minutes if it's in combat, and if in an area that was specificly flagged so that you can't teleport a pet to you there the pet should NOT teleport to you there if you log in, it should teleport to the last position you were in before being in a non-teleport area. It's 100% an exploit to leave your pet inside your house, run down to l4 of a dungeon, then relog to pull the pet to you. Or my personal favorite to set a pet on someone, run for the nearest private house, then reolog to pull the pet to safety.

Relogging to teleport pets in non-teleport/combat situations is exploit abuse and should be bannable just as all other exploits are, if you want to teleport a pet to you use a petball, if you're in a area where that's not allowed....tough! it's not allowed in that area for a reason...this is no less an exploit than the guys who were using the glitch to sacred journey home with scrolls after completing champ spawns.

/signed

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly what I've been saying. It's not just something that effects tamers who obviously can't PvP.... This is something you are talking about that will effect ANYONE with pets. Folk with horses, folk with packies, folk with ferrets, even Golems, and many other pets. Think before you condemn with your ideals. Yes a few bad apples do indeed use the feature as a crutch.... but honestly is that so bad that you have to call for a change that will basically harm FAR more than it helps.

You know I have this to say I wish all this FEL BS would stay in FEL. Sort of like the fix to keep whinny poor PvPers from running home tail between their legs and swapping characters to run right back and fight some more only to get spanked again. I totally HATE how now I can't run home and change characters because when I got home some stupid Mongbat was sitting on my steps and I auto shot the accursed thing and now I have to wait forever.

Just saying.
I would say that people abuse this insta log out/pet retrieval in trammel more than in fel. I'm talking about pvm where tamers will attack a boss and insta log their pet out because it's going to die. Also i know lots of people (myself not discluded) who will go into area where you can't use a pet ball and summon a pet in by logging out and in.

O

Old Man of UO

Also i know lots of people (myself not discluded) who will go into area where you can't use a pet ball and summon a pet in by logging out and in.
I admit to doing this, but don't log out to save my pet. A 0.1 point is stat loss is nothing, and my tamer has Vet skill to resurrect my pet.

I still think you are trying to use a sledge hammer to drive a tack.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just saying.
Some of us tamers do have crafters and non tamers too :) In fact most tamers have at least a few non tamers. I want this coding fixed so nobody loses a pet for good, and a timer is not going to delete your pet. It simply stops someone from hauling a pet out of a fight by logging out. That's it. Once the timer passes, your pet would either end up in the stables or log out beside you. But if there is any non-tamer fallout from this change, it would extend to me too so I'm hardly going to suggest a change that nerfs some of my favourite characters.

And again, this is not Fel BS or something that just a few players do. If you are standing by a tamer when they bail out with a lot of spawn on their dragon, you're in trouble. I have seen players killed by this, and I've had pets die when they got swamped too quick for me to save them. Tamers logging out and pulling pets are a liability on any facet, and they're not a rarity. I would hope it was, nothing makes me want to kick stuff than seeing tamers screwing around...but they do and I think it needs fixing.

Wenchy

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a feeling it will be wery anoying to play a tamer if they put the timer on logg in logg out like others have pointed out nothing will change unless they also put a timer on pet balls
I can only speak for myself but on a bad day my pets get stuck 4-5 times a day sometimes without any reason they just cant move i dont see how turning a much liked type of character anoying is a move in the right direction

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some of us tamers do have crafters and non tamers too :) In fact most tamers have at least a few non tamers. I want this coding fixed so nobody loses a pet for good, and a timer is not going to delete your pet. It simply stops someone from hauling a pet out of a fight by logging out. That's it. Once the timer passes, your pet would either end up in the stables or log out beside you. But if there is any non-tamer fallout from this change, it would extend to me too so I'm hardly going to suggest a change that nerfs some of my favourite characters.

And again, this is not Fel BS or something that just a few players do. If you are standing by a tamer when they bail out with a lot of spawn on their dragon, you're in trouble. I have seen players killed by this, and I've had pets die when they got swamped too quick for me to save them. Tamers logging out and pulling pets are a liability on any facet, and they're not a rarity. I would hope it was, nothing makes me want to kick stuff than seeing tamers screwing around...but they do and I think it needs fixing.

Wenchy
I'll have you know I have 6 tamers... I very rarely log in and out to avoid my pets death. Death happens. However when my pet is in trouble and stuck and won't follow me I don't want to have to have some stinking timer on it preventing me from doing things in the midst of something important causing all manner of havoc because some whiners in fel can't deal with a tamer. And when I lose connection which I do on a sadly regular basis and I know I'm not alone... I'm glad to know my pet is safe.

I already have to put up with the repulsive timer on MY OWN logggin out and switching characters because of Fel BS... I don't need that sort of BS on my pet too.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I admit to doing this, but don't log out to save my pet. A 0.1 point is stat loss is nothing, and my tamer has Vet skill to resurrect my pet.

I still think you are trying to use a sledge hammer to drive a tack.
Exploiters should be banned...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have you know I have 6 tamers... I very rarely log in and out to avoid my pets death. Death happens. However when my pet is in trouble and stuck and won't follow me I don't want to have to have some stinking timer on it preventing me from doing things in the midst of something important causing all manner of havoc because some whiners in fel can't deal with a tamer. And when I lose connection which I do on a sadly regular basis and I know I'm not alone... I'm glad to know my pet is safe.

I already have to put up with the repulsive timer on MY OWN logggin out and switching characters because of Fel BS... I don't need that sort of BS on my pet too.
Yup, my pets die when I can't vet them fast enough, I can honestly say I've never logged to save them. It never occurred to me. That's why my suggestion had the pets immediately autostabled - in the stable, with a delay on claiming them out when you logged back in. The pets are safe.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a feeling it will be wery anoying to play a tamer if they put the timer on logg in logg out like others have pointed out nothing will change unless they also put a timer on pet balls
I can only speak for myself but on a bad day my pets get stuck 4-5 times a day sometimes without any reason they just cant move i dont see how turning a much liked type of character anoying is a move in the right direction
The solution for that is to fix pets so they can be "unstuck" without players resorting to logging out. Logging out and pet balling should never be necessary if your pet gets caught on a rock. It should be possible to use the come command and the pet unsticks itself and returns to your side. Oddly enough, if I herd a stuck pet to follow me, it can un-stick from a rock by itself. It's wierd, but true. It's like they use a different pathfinding method for herding vs following a tamer's commands.

Tamers have a long history of using workarounds including logging out and pet balls when there is a bug in the game. Yet I suspect few of them take time to report that bug, preferring instead to just fix it themselves and move on. Or they think 'it's been around for years the devs must know about it!' This ensures the bug survives, and when changes like this are proposed these bugs finally get mentioned. Imagine what would happen if every tamer reported every bug at least once over the period of a month. I'd bet that the devs would see this pile of bug reports and act upon them.

If your pets are sticking several times a day without an obstacle being the cause, I'd call a GM because that isn't normal. Once in a blue moon I get a pet stick to the spot and feeding it solves the problem. Also, lore the pet and check loyalty is wonderfully happy and double check that you have enough skill for good control. Tamers hate me for suggesting such basic checks, but some returning tamers don't realise the formula changed and others used a calculator that wasn't giving the right control chance.

In a lot of areas you should also have the option to recall, even if it's to a spot near the one you're on. That will also bring the pets to your side. But I'd say this problem is dodgy AI that also needs fixing :)

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As I've said in my last post, stuck pets need to be fixed. But not by keeping the log out trick so we can use it to fix the problem ourselves. The pets need to be fixed. It's an inconvenience having to log out and in to un-stick a pet, and at times it really isn't convenient.

If pet balls are improved, pets can't stick on terrain and there is actually a timer which will log your pets out when you have been fighting that is going to enhance and secure your taming experience. Not harm it. You would have no reason to log out during a game session so this timer would have no effect. And if you drop connection (as we all do) then yes, a pet might die. But you won't lose it, and that was the point of the bonding system. Not to prevent pet death, to prevent their loss from unbonding and going wild.

As for the anti Fel stuff, really Fel has been in game long before Tram and the log out timer has been in for years. You do realise that people do PvP in Tram too, don't you? Rules concerning PvP are going to be applied to the places where PvP can occur. Which is everywhere, albeit Tram PvP is kinda sucky. Just be glad you didn't get the stamina and blocking rule that Fel has had forever, because I can only imagine the screams if folks couldn't push through monsters in dungeons any more :D The log out delay is actually a very good bit of code - it gives you the perfect reason to stand up, have a stretch and take a little break from gaming. Or in my case, make a cuppa and refresh forums.

Wenchy

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yup, my pets die when I can't vet them fast enough, I can honestly say I've never logged to save them. It never occurred to me. That's why my suggestion had the pets immediately autostabled - in the stable, with a delay on claiming them out when you logged back in. The pets are safe.
The pet is safe and you are up a creek without a paddle... NO warrior has to log in and out because their weapon got stuck... and no warrior has to log back in after a system crash without their armor and weapon...... nor does any mage.... why should Tamers?

So you are saying Tamers should suffer and have to totally restart back from where they began after a system crash or after their pet gets stuck because some lamer in Fel doesn't lknow how to properly PvP? And that goes for both the one fighting the tamer and the tamer using exploits to PvP? Once again I have to say I'm fed up with exploiters and cheaters and whiners in Fel ruining gameplay for everyone else.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I've said in my last post, stuck pets need to be fixed. But not by keeping the log out trick so we can use it to fix the problem ourselves. The pets need to be fixed. It's an inconvenience having to log out and in to un-stick a pet, and at times it really isn't convenient.

If pet balls are improved, pets can't stick on terrain and there is actually a timer which will log your pets out when you have been fighting that is going to enhance and secure your taming experience. Not harm it. You would have no reason to log out during a game session so this timer would have no effect. And if you drop connection (as we all do) then yes, a pet might die. But you won't lose it, and that was the point of the bonding system. Not to prevent pet death, to prevent their loss from unbonding and going wild.

As for the anti Fel stuff, really Fel has been in game long before Tram and the log out timer has been in for years. You do realise that people do PvP in Tram too, don't you? Rules concerning PvP are going to be applied to the places where PvP can occur. Which is everywhere, albeit Tram PvP is kinda sucky. Just be glad you didn't get the stamina and blocking rule that Fel has had forever, because I can only imagine the screams if folks couldn't push through monsters in dungeons any more :D The log out delay is actually a very good bit of code - it gives you the perfect reason to stand up, have a stretch and take a little break from gaming. Or in my case, make a cuppa and refresh forums.

Wenchy
I certainly do know you can PvP in Trammel I've done it for YEARS. Most tram groups that PvP don't use lame Fel tactics to do it. The log out delay is totally lame and has been for YEARS. Killing a mongbat because i auto shoot as an archer should NEVER force me to have to wait to switch characters. It is and always was one of the lamest fixes ever put into the game. And I would TOTALLY understand it IF I was PvPing..... however killing a mongbat or some other such similar piece of **** is NOT PvP and should not cause the delay.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taking the recently removed post as a sign of where this is headed, I'm calling a halt.

Status
Not open for further replies.