• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Live 2008 Event this Weekend= The Mad Mage: March 28th - March 29th

G

From uo.com

The Mad Mage: March 28th - March 29th (Dates slightly wrong on Herald)

Blackrock - the world's most valuable ore. Nearly impervious to the fires of forging and magics alike, yet a violent reagent in spells best forgotten - the bane of the Britannian government and its great hope. Entire cities have been wiped off the face of the map, and every rumor, every whisper points to this mysterious substance. It's been known to drive men mad and beasts wild. More than one infirmary houses raving lunatics, with their imaginary voices, and victims of vicious blackrock infected monsters.

At last, one mage believes he's found a way to locate blackrock en masse, with a cunning artifice of machinery and arcane power. Even when his own fellows abandoned him and his work, Kronos found unexpected support in the government, eager to fund his work. He's worked his entire life just for a moment like this, and Moonglow will be forever remembered as the place where his legacy was born. His machine, aided by an ancient artifact and a sample of blackrock, will at last prove his theories... he knows it will.

But more eyes are on this project than even the government knows. Beyond the benign alchemical research lies a darker power. Friendships will be tested, loyalties questioned, and a future forged by the actions of those who come and bear witness to this "Mad Mage."

--------------------

Did i miss something or is this in the latest publish too

G

But.... today IS the 27th...?

And where are you seeing this?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Hrm. The dates should be 28th and 29th.

G

Coolio so we are getting a 2 day weekend event!!!

yipeeeeeeeeee!! books friday off work!!!!!

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Hrm. The dates should be 28th and 29th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not seeing the announcement at all....The "Live Events" banner thingie at the top of the UO main page ain't working for me.

-Galen's player

G

Ah.. I see where it is now.. its on the top of page banner that only seems to actually do anything when i'm using IE and does nothing in the other browsers on my PC that I use because they AREN'T riddled with gaping security holes.

Never program webpages for IE, guys... it holds itself to no general web standards. Working specifically for IE usually means not working for everyone else.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
....*rubs eyes* I think my computer is broke cus I don't see that anywhere.....

And I JUST posted that the servers were back up......I think I need a vacation....

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Where it says LIVE EVENTS 2008? CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS???

Nothing happens when I click on it......

I

<blockquote><hr>

Ah.. I see where it is now.. its on the top of page banner that only seems to actually do anything when i'm using IE and does nothing in the other browsers on my PC that I use because they AREN'T riddled with gaping security holes.

Never program webpages for IE, guys... it holds itself to no general web standards. Working specifically for IE usually means not working for everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....UO team, please just put it the news on the main page instead of having it be this Flash Player thing.....A lot of us have been burned enough times that we disable a lot of that crap....

-Galen's player

I

<blockquote><hr>

Except, like I said, the banner only actually links to anything in IE. The other browsers I have (Firefox and Opera) don't do anything.

http://www.uoherald.com/liveevents/

Direct link for everyone not dumb enough to use IE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

-Galen's player

G

I got no problems with flash links.. I have problems with designing specifically for a web browser known for breaking web standards. :p

G

Do i get a ''prize'' for beating the mighty news hound Larisa to some tasty News hot from the press!!!!

Or Guess as normal i will just end up with another locked thread instead!!!

I

imported_Fran Fury

Thanks Crysta. I use firefox and although I see the "Live Events 2008 Click here for details".. I can't actually click anything. lol

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Thanks

Is THAT why it won't work for me? Cus my browser??? Stupid internet grrr.

Well I can't wait, when we stress tested it WOW that was so fun! ALOT of deaths, remember that?? Man..fun times. I remember when Draconi told all of us to RUN away from the machine...LOL it took me 10 minutes to move 2 screens...that was great.

Thanks Draconi for finally getting this event out there!

G

Yeah, that test was fun. Was also fun getting a (very) early look at the items they had planned.. although I hope that one they handed out for people to test has been changed by now.. was about as balanced as a see-saw being ridden by a speck of dust and a hippo.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting... Very interesting...

The title for the 2008 storyline is "WARRIOR OF DESTINY".

When do we get to summon the Stranger to help in the fight against the Shadowlords?

*signs up for the Resistance*

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Crysta..the cloak? Yeah...hope they fixed that a bit if they are putting it in this time.

THP I'll send you some cookies
Thanks, I click on that thing and it does nothing so KUDO's to you

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this means we're officially somewhere around Ultima V storywise? Makes sense given the events last year, and the next planned expansion.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this means we're officially somewhere around Ultima V storywise? Makes sense given the events last year, and the next planned expansion.

[/ QUOTE ]Whoops, it'll change to "Warriors", plural.

U

uo addict

Another tip for the web designers: if you are going to use underlined text for links, don't also use it for paragraph headings that are not links!

Schedule of Events for WARRIOR OF DESTINY

<u>Invasion of Magincia: 2007 </u> &lt;- a link

<u>Mad Mage: March 25th - March 27th </u> &lt;- not a link

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Except, like I said, the banner only actually links to anything in IE. The other browsers I have (Firefox and Opera) don't do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've NEVER had any problems with IE, yet have seen numerous viruses get through on Firefox. I recently had to clean one off of a computer at one of the companies that I do computer maintenance for. They were using Firefox.....

Not any more....

G

Wow! Thanks for the link! I didnt even know this page existed. I wonder what other stuff I might be missing

D

DarkChronus

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I've NEVER had any problems with IE, yet have seen numerous viruses get through on Firefox. I recently had to clean one off of a computer at one of the companies that I do computer maintenance for. They were using Firefox.....

Not any more....

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to like Firefox better, both as a user AND as a web designer. Any browser is going to have security issues at some point or another so that's not really my biggest reason for using one over another.

I'd also like to sign the "petition" to make that link work in Firefox and not just IE.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Not any more....

[/ QUOTE ]

Until recently, IE had more security holes in it than swiss cheese and more viruses got through it than Firefox. Now firefox has a few that are getting through, but i still have had more get through IE than Firefox.

Almost every network admin I know will say to use Firefox over IE because of the security issues with IE....heh...and every tech guy (including myself) will echo that.

IE -has- improved recently. Just give it time to have someone find the security holes.

G

In these days of multiple browsers, it's good (and very basic) design practice to check your pages load in the most popular ones. It's not difficult. I'm a Firefox addict, but I keep IE on my system along with Opera simply to test web pages I write. Good web designers also remember that Linux users exist too.

There is not a browser that can guarantee 100% immunity to virus or spyware infections
Certainly not in the hands of the average user who sometimes clicks a dodgy link or 2 and doesn't carry out good basic security practice and maintenance tasks.

I think it's misleading to suggest IE is more secure when it's the #1 target of all the hackers and undesirables out there
I know the results I've had with my PCs when I went from IE to Firefox, basically before I'd pull up spyware, the odd nasty bit from my email... Now all I get is cookies. Besides that, IE 7 won't install on this PC and IE 6 isn't trustworthy.

But as with all browsers, there are security settings and in Firefox you get plugins for added security.

Wenchy

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hang around Moonglow on the given dates and find out. :p

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not get a choice ...*shudders* I have two lil homes on Moonglow and not enough information..yet as to the fate of us, our lil homes and the isle etc.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Not any more....

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't get the link to open with IE or Firefox...

C

Connor_Graham

I had no problems getting it to work, and that was with IE.

G

I liked the look of the flash link, but yeah at least it's working now. ^^;

G

Works with lynx

( GUIs are overrated - UO needs a nethack-based client. cu tamer: @d )

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Not any more....

[/ QUOTE ]

Until recently, IE had more security holes in it than swiss cheese and more viruses got through it than Firefox. Now firefox has a few that are getting through, but i still have had more get through IE than Firefox.

Almost every network admin I know will say to use Firefox over IE because of the security issues with IE....heh...and every tech guy (including myself) will echo that.

IE -has- improved recently. Just give it time to have someone find the security holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get any viruses through IE 6... I do get them through the JRE, though... so I uninstalled it. Sun still hasn't figured out how to tie up loose buffer overruns and I can't be dealing with viruses just because they write a bad runtime environment...

I'm not saying IE is perfect, but a fully service packed IE isn't too bad. I still call IE "Internet Exploder"... mostly because it's funny.

D

DarkChronus

Works now as the linked static image. There was no easy workaround for the Flash movie?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Any tech or admin that can't button down and secure a simple browser needs to go back to school regardless of the name of the browser.

and to the actualy subject at hand:

yay! Event!

S

stevensnr6

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad when that is necessary. IE is the default, but when people learn better they use others. Peace.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I find it amusing that the remarks about IE being non-compliant are circular arguments. The rules on "compliancy" were made by IE's competitors, in such a manner to make it where MS would be unlikely to participate, and would (for good reason) not expose their proprietary code to their competitors. It would be lke asking someone to split a purchase with you, you putting up cash, but demanding the other person give you (not the place you were buying from) their Credit card and security/personal info, and put your name on all their bank accounts.

Besides, by the very rules that seem to be selectively targeting "the Borg" (as a friend, an ex-microsoft programmer and NOT a fan of theirs likes calling them) most of the time, would not actually having them onboard have brought up charges of industry collusion and monopoly? funny how some things get treated with such double standards. Microsoft is evil because they are a part of everything, but they are also evil because they weren't part of this?

My experiences with Firefox are such that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It's pretty much taken over one friend's computer, interfering with the use of any Microsoft product on it (including XP), and half the software from other companies; I suspect his source for it online was a hacked version with God knows what kind of malicious code embedded into it. Apple's irritating the hell out of me, constantly popping up their "updater", to try to get me to download the Windows version of Safari (which would probably be happening regardless if I used IE, Firefox or Opera, so long as I have iTunes &amp; Quicktime).

Microsoft has their faults (I refuse to buy Vista, and have similarly refused to let any of their Office products be installed on my machines for a decade), but what I've seen from the "alternatives" on the browser &amp; OS fronts, they are at least as dishonest as Microsoft - so I opt for the devil I know.

I'm also beginning to suspect that a number of the crashes that IE has been having over the last year or so, on some sites, are related to people purposefully mucking with the standards to cause IE users to crash from deliberately malformed but "compliant" content, not any real need for "compliancy". It's especially apparent on some sites that espouse the use of the other browsers, yet have "ads" that crash IE - when their supposed target audience would never see such ads in the first place because of their features of said preferred browser. The smell of dead fish I detect isn't the pay lake next door...

G

Tread carefully for thy words do disturb upon a topic more grave, more vicious and relentless in its antipathies than all the Tram vs Fel threads of all the years of stratics pooled together.

G

I think your friend's PC problems stretch much further than a browser... If you download from anywhere other than Mozilla's site, you could also bring in malicious code with it. If I was you, I'd be telling that friend to seriously scan the daylights out of the PC and get a proper firefox copy to start with. Also, if they downloaded a hacked firefox, what else have they downloaded recently?

If you're basing your view of Firefox on what has happened on your friend's PC then that's a shame. I don't think you can say one is better than the other without some good first hand experience. It's like saying Linux is crap after playing with it for a day. You have to give these things a chance

I expect IE, Firefox and Opera compatibility with 100% of sites these days, and a designer with half a brain would skip a feature if it didn't work in one of those browsers. You also need to consider that some adverts are bad news whatever browser you're running. But with Firefox a lot of us can block certain advertisers' content whenever and wherever they crop up. The site owner may not realise they have bad adverts if they block them - something you should consider before complaining about them.

Instead of a conspiracy theory about those sites, I'd drop them a friendly email reporting problems loading their site in IE. They might not know there is a problem.

Wenchy

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole adhering to standards issue aside, I am convinced that the only reason those other browsers aren't "riddled with gaping security holes" is because they don't command enough market share for most hackers, crackers, and malware programmers to warrant attacking them to find those holes. Each browser has its good points &amp; weaknesses, and one may handle particular areas of security better out of the box so to speak than another, but in reality, any can be breached in some way, if someone is determined enough. Compromising systems has become organized, and in some cases, big business these days, and as such, there currently is no real incentive to devote time/resources to areas that will yield low returns.

A lot of the problems with IE are directly related to user ignorance - chronically unpatched systems, combined with uninformed browsing practices, that play right into the hands of people looking to exploit these weaknesses. It is a peculiarity of the whole home computing/Internet system that self contained products and services do not share. We might hope users wouldn't have to make constant decisions about security and what goes on their system in order to use it, but that is unfortunately not the case.

-Skylark

I

<blockquote><hr>

Try it now - I got the web guy to futz with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!

-Galen's player

G

There is no blackrock turn in!!!!

U just need 1 piece to take the full effect of both days at the event!!

I

imported_Hanna

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole adhering to standards issue aside, I am convinced that the only reason those other browsers aren't "riddled with gaping security holes" is because they don't command enough market share for most hackers, crackers, and malware programmers to warrant attacking them to find those holes. Each browser has its good points &amp; weaknesses, and one may handle particular areas of security better out of the box so to speak than another, but in reality, any can be breached in some way, if someone is determined enough. Compromising systems has become organized, and in some cases, big business these days, and as such, there currently is no real incentive to devote time/resources to areas that will yield low returns.

A lot of the problems with IE are directly related to user ignorance - chronically unpatched systems, combined with uninformed browsing practices, that play right into the hands of people looking to exploit these weaknesses. It is a peculiarity of the whole home computing/Internet system that self contained products and services do not share. We might hope users wouldn't have to make constant decisions about security and what goes on their system in order to use it, but that is unfortunately not the case.

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]Have to agree with you totally there.

Nescape used to get hit with a lot of hacks, but since it's market share has dropped to about 0.2% hackers don't bother anymore.

IE has been the best browser out there since IE4.0. Not because it complied with all web standards. But because it serve it's customers. Where netscape vomited on every little error, IE fairly gracefully handled the minor errors and showed the user what basicly was intended by the designer, whether it be a professional or novice.

Instead of targeting geeks as it's customers, Microsoft went for the real market of people who just wanted to be able to view sites without having to know how to program them. Netscape would vomit on most sites, the average user had no idea why, they just thought netscape sucked.

97% of viewers of my client sites are IE users, about 1-2% are robots, about 1% Mac users, no firefox, unless I view therir site using it, no gecko unless it's a robot.

Now geek sites, like http://www.w3schools.com or even UO.com (geeks love games), have alot more users using gecko and firefox but that is not the norm for most non-geek sites.

The biggest mistake a web designer could make is not making their site work perfectly in IE. Unless your running a geek site.