• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Let's settle the LUCK confusion once and for all

mana hit

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want sex items to drop too @Pawain ,,ive done many scallis with Allen on LS on my archer with no luck and I’ve gotten several small forges,,but that might have to do with all the healing I do on that encounter

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Me also. So that's why I have no results. Those mobs drop mage stuff. I have all that I need. If something regularly dropped sex items, I'd make make a luck suit.
Your're really going to have to watch your browsing history before you let autocorrect do your posting for you.... this is twice.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So where do we stand. Did we remove the confusion, or add to it . . .
Yea unfortunately a very factless and jaded post kind of derailed this thread which was a very good question from the OP. I'd like to get this thread back on topic myself.

Take a look at my post #25 and #31 (after the first paragraph) about my thoughts on luck. In a nutshell (and what hasn't been addressed by anyone) it really comes down to what people think is "good" and what they are killing when it comes to looted items.

My opinion is that in-game luck 100% has some sort of impact on loot (on average). If you take the average loot you get from a mob (let's say balrons) with no luck on and then add max possible (3890 for 100% of luck impacting something) I think you will see definitely see a difference. Again, I'm not saying the stuff you will see is all going to be usable (it might have good mods on a bad piece or have ton of mods but too spread out etc) but in game luck has no impact on you getting a more desirable pieces (like a bokuto) versus junk pieces (like nunchucks)...and this is where I think some people would say luck does't get you better loot because it's not something you will use or sell for 100m+.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My opinion is that luck is a crock of rubbish.

I have played for yrs, had chars in high luck suits ie over 2500 and those in 0 luck suits and see absolutely bugger all difference in loot between them. I multiclient a LOT, pretty much my whole playstyle, doing the same mobs with the same sets of chars, I do the roof with three chars (2 tamers, 1 mystic mage) one has high luck the other two minimal or bugger all luck, no difference in the amount of drops nor the quality of loot.

Past weeks I have been running the invasions and running despise tram in between doing towns. Again see zero difference in the amount of drops irrespective of the luck. 3 tamers same build, one in luck, two not.

The ONLY reason luck is on my suits these days is it came with the legendary item so was just there. I run my main tamer in a high resist high luck suit as it was build forever ago, my other two tamers in high resists suits with minimal luck, no difference in drops or loot quality between the three.

I use the High luck tamer, a bard and and an archer/bard to run despise, again, the drops have been spread equally between them. Not in party yet over the past week have got 4 quivers, 2 veils, 4 eyes, 3 hailstorms, 2 human sandals, 3 garg talons. As for the body loot you get around 900gps and 4-5 items per character , and there is zero difference between the quality of loot between each char.

I put together a super high luck suit for my designated T-hunter (to test again and to satisfy the urge to 'see' if I could note any difference) and I have a second T-hunter to do the hoard and troves, again I see absolutely NOTHING different in treasure chests between the two, one with luck one without. No difference in the loot when the high luck T-hunters statue luck runs out either, so he drops from 3000 luck to 2200 or whatever it is, the quality of chests dug up doesn't appear to change at all, get just as many gold chests as iron ones irrespective of luck.

So my opinion for what it is worth is that LUCK is a crock of rubbish, how I started this post lol.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I did the same as you @MissEcho I made a luck suit for my t-hunter because everyone told me I 'needed' one, it was a waste of time and gold, I never saw any difference in loot, in fact I would swear the loot was worse WITH it! :(
If only Draconi had finished his work on Luck before they booted him, or even better, they had just kept him....

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My opinion is that luck is a crock of rubbish.

I have played for yrs, had chars in high luck suits ie over 2500 and those in 0 luck suits and see absolutely bugger all difference in loot between them. I multiclient a LOT, pretty much my whole playstyle, doing the same mobs with the same sets of chars, I do the roof with three chars (2 tamers, 1 mystic mage) one has high luck the other two minimal or bugger all luck, no difference in the amount of drops nor the quality of loot.

Past weeks I have been running the invasions and running despise tram in between doing towns. Again see zero difference in the amount of drops irrespective of the luck. 3 tamers same build, one in luck, two not.

The ONLY reason luck is on my suits these days is it came with the legendary item so was just there. I run my main tamer in a high resist high luck suit as it was build forever ago, my other two tamers in high resists suits with minimal luck, no difference in drops or loot quality between the three.

I use the High luck tamer, a bard and and an archer/bard to run despise, again, the drops have been spread equally between them. Not in party yet over the past week have got 4 quivers, 2 veils, 4 eyes, 3 hailstorms, 2 human sandals, 3 garg talons. As for the body loot you get around 900gps and 4-5 items per character , and there is zero difference between the quality of loot between each char.

I put together a super high luck suit for my designated T-hunter (to test again and to satisfy the urge to 'see' if I could note any difference) and I have a second T-hunter to do the hoard and troves, again I see absolutely NOTHING different in treasure chests between the two, one with luck one without. No difference in the loot when the high luck T-hunters statue luck runs out either, so he drops from 3000 luck to 2200 or whatever it is, the quality of chests dug up doesn't appear to change at all, get just as many gold chests as iron ones irrespective of luck.

So my opinion for what it is worth is that LUCK is a crock of rubbish, how I started this post lol.
I agree that drops (in your pack) don't appear to be impacted with luck; this seems much more RNG related so champ spawn drops / roof drops / medusa /etc all seem to have the same efficiency 0 to 4000. I'd also agree that luck really plays no role in T-Map loot... I brought the question up last year during the Tmap revamp which was more important max luck or max carto (for gold chest vs rusty) and we never got an answer.

That said, from a corpse loot standpoint, if you have 2500 luck then you aren't maxing out luck and therefore you are leaving room for no impact. Read my previous post and check out the link to the luck calculator; if you have under 3890 luck there is a percentage chance that luck will not impact the loot (goes back to more RNG) and therefore you might think luck "doesn't do anything". The other things I noticed from your post is that you multiclient; which means that party or not there is a chance that whoever is wearing the luck suit is NOT doing the highest damage and therefore that high luck is not being taken into account. That skews a lot of it right there. Also as I mentioned before is that nobody every says what loot they are looking for or what they think is "good" because if you are looking for a very specific thing and don't get it then again you will say luck doesn't make a difference. Lastly, you seem to be doing the roof/Andros for your test and this what I also mentioned before; things like the roof or scalis have probably the highest loot table so if you are not hitting 4k luck then there is a good chance you won't notice the difference because 0 luck will still see legendary items (just due to the loot table) and the character with 2500 luck has a 23% chance not to have the bump even if they are the highest damage (or that luck is fully used).

I've tested luck in several places and when talking about non-boss level things true max luck will make a difference (that's the only way to compare luck vs non luck). Go kill a bunch of greater dragons in fel with 1 char using 4k luck for an hour or 2 straight and then go do the same thing in tram with 0 luck; I bet there on average you will notice pieces with more/higher intensity properties. That said, you still aren't going to find the level of loot you would find at the roof because it goes back to the loot tables and what's possible for that mob.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run two clients when soloing a peerless. One toon has 3.4k luck with statue, and the other toon has 2.4k luck with statue. I can tell a difference in loot when both of their luck is active. When one luck statue wears off, it drops the loot quality back to no luck levels.

I don't care about drops, don't even factor that trash into it. It's just about suit building for me.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
sorry, 3 people asked me about the invising while your with your pet, ive been super busy at work last couple weeks.
COVID19 and being a Paramedic..... people are just dying to meet me.
get it.... they are dying to meet me!

come on people that joke is gold!

anyways, so the invising while with your pet was something they put in years ago to combat farmers during an event.
they very openly came out and told us they where doing it to combat the drastic increase in stealth tamers that we where seeing.

and i know it was in effect for several years after.
but is it STILL in effect......
they never came out and said they where gonna turn it off.
but then they do a lot of things and they dont tell us.

it is something that should probably be asked at a meet and greet so they can look into the code and see for sure if it is still on and what exactly triggers it.

well, hell im not busy, ill go post over on the official forum's and ask and see if they will enlighten us.
i will return with info if they grace us with a answer.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I remember the thing about being invis'd meant less pack drops in that big anti-virtue dungeon event we had years ago, I don't remember what it was called...(okay I looked it up and it's the 10th Anniversary event) so I guess that was the first time I heard of it, but I never really played a tamer much so that could explain why I hadn't heard of it too.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope, it works but in a weird, convoluted way just to promote infinite grinding.:pie:
Since there is no cap for any sort of loot in UO, they have to keep the drop rates abmysal.

Most other games I grind put a daily cap on all sorts of loot and currencies. Most of the time it's well beyond what a reasonable person can grind out, but it allows them to drop decent loot without some lunatics hoarding tons of it.

Like Slim's veil. Designed for the people able to do thousands of trade runs. All 5 of them.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@celticus @Corwyn @GarthGrey

so i asked the question, got the answer.
the answer is YES.

Kyronix
Kyronix Dev

@ Poo - yes it is a thing, it's something we are aware of and look to further improve in the coming implementation of our Dynamic Treasures of... system that's coming in Publish 109.

Update 1 Publish 47
On October 3, 2007, the following was published:
  • You will get less credit towards the new dungeon drops if you are hidden when the monster you are fighting dies.
When the monster dies.... it was put in the game for the 10th anniversary dungeon drops
You will get no credit if you are more than 16 tiles away from the monster when it dies.
so if you look at the date that was from 2007 so this has been in the game for the last 13 years.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

the answer is YES.

Kyronix
Kyronix Dev

@ Poo - yes it is a thing, it's something we are aware of and look to further improve in the coming implementation of our Dynamic Treasures of... system that's coming in Publish 109.

so if you look at the date that was from 2007 so this has been in the game for the last 13 years.
Wow..Sad..Ty for the info.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

the answer is YES.

Kyronix
Kyronix Dev

Thanks for including me, my thoughts are still that he's misleading us. I don't think he knows the code as well as he wishes he does.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for including me, my thoughts are still that he's misleading us. I don't think he knows the code as well as he wishes he does.
Especially when he said he wont give the details. The details are in those publish notes. And does this check occur before or after luck? :)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Especially when he said he wont give the details. The details are in those publish notes. And does this check occur before or after luck? :)
I gave the info that we currently have on luck way back on like post 25 or so. I think more details (that are on UOGuide) came out around it during meet and greets etc. That said, I think the "how luck works" exact details will probably remain secret (like loot tables) so that people don't start farming the same thing 24/7.

That said... I do think it's a little bit of smoke and mirrors because if Kyronix said "it's something they are aware of and looking to improve" then it sounds like it's quite possible it doesn't work as intended. My only fear on them "fixing" this is that it will be like everything else they fix (nerf)... all of a sudden there won't be nearly as many legendaries spawning :eek:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again, if the idea is to give the "impression" that Luck is working as intended, make the simple change of showing Perfection and Felucca Luck on the status bars as it updates. This can't be that hard to do. Even if it doesn't change a thing and you still get the same quantity/quality of items, the illusion would be there and would stop a lot of the madness and 2nd guessing, ok I exaggerated, it would stop MY madness and 2nd guessing.....sigh...it would stop my 2nd guessing, there's no helping my madness.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well... if it only comes into play when the monster, I'm fine with it. I only go invisible to get a monster off of me and onto my pet. Once my pet is targeted, I'm visible again to do the healing and maybe throw a few damage spells.