• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just Curious

Miretar

Journeyman
Why is there a painting of a Madonna and Child in among the fishing loot? Namely “The Madonna with the Long Neck“ by Parmigianino. I am not sure that this is appropriate for the game. This has bothered me for years. As an art historian, I can also say that there are far lovelier images of this subject. I am sure that some of the newer paintings may also be religious in nature, but it’s harder to see their subject matter.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The one you speak of looks like this:
1665778215110.png

Here is the UO version.
1665779463907.png

I see the similarity.

I like spending hours in art galleries and don't mind the subject. But, this one is pretty bad, the long neck and the giant baby.
Just read it is a style Mannerism.

Last edited:

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly, because it's so small, they most likely did a google search and pulled a painting they thought looked good. It's not one of those things people are going to instantly recognize and file any sort of claim over

Miretar

Journeyman
Seems like a weird thing to be offended by.

When I find things like this, I appreciate that I get the reference. I don't really get bothered by it.
Given that the Madonna is holding a dead child, I think it is offensive.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Religious artefacts slip in across the dimensions from Earth all the time. I think we ought to have more of them. Give the people crucifixes and lifesize saint dolls and nativity scenes. May Luna transform into a hive of tiny cathedrals. It is only historically appropriate.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You are incorrect, study more art history maybe?

" The painting depicts the Virgin Mary seated on a high pedestal in luxurious robes, holding a large baby Jesus on her lap. Six angels crowded together on the Madonna's right adore the Christ-child. In the lower right-hand corner of the painting is an enigmatic scene, with a row of marble columns and the emaciated figure of St. Jerome. A depiction of St. Jerome was required by the commissioner because of the saint's connection with the adoration of the Virgin Mary. "

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I saw that also but did not want to mention it. but the child is sleeping according to many analysis.

Well I thought you were offended by it being religious art...

She is reanimating him. Isn't that the legend?
Did not see any reference to that, but one said it represented immaculate conception. I don't see that.

There are quite a few analysis of the painting, its like anything, it represents something different to the individual admirer.

People say something like this represents something:
1665787697914.png

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I saw that also but did not want to mention it. but the child is sleeping according to many analysis.

Well I thought you were offended by it being religious art...

Did not see any reference to that, but one said it represented immaculate conception. I don't see that.

There are quite a few analysis of the painting, its like anything, it represents something different to the individual admirer.

People say something like this represents something:
View attachment 136433
It is literally a depiction of the Madonna and Baby Jesus. There is no other interpretation the work was commissioned by the funerary of an Italian cardinal.

You dont get to choose your prose on commissioned works, especially in those days lol

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is literally a depiction of the Madonna and Baby Jesus. There is no other interpretation the work was commissioned by the funerary of an Italian cardinal.

You dont get to choose your prose on commissioned works, especially in those days lol
I guess you never had to read a poem in school and describe what the dead author intended. You can spend a semester breaking down "The Raven".

You never heard of imagery, symbolism, metaphors, similes, archetypes? Most art has different meaning to each viewer.

One reason some think the baby is dead is because it was commissioned by a Funerary.

An oversized Christ child is splayed across the Madonna's lap. The way his arm is hanging freely down is also a pose suggestive of death, adding to the sense of ambiguity surrounding the painting.

I am very literal. I see what I see and hear what I hear and write what I think. I am no artist with flowery words.

I saw a lady with a child and some admirers. They do not look like angels to me. Why does an angel have a Jug?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The painting depicts the Virgin Mary seated on a high pedestal in luxurious robes, holding a large baby Jesus on her lap.
Google will give you scores of breakdowns on what they think this painting represents.
type in "Madonna with a long neck analysis" Lots of pages of what people think the painting represents.

I had never seen this painting before.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I like to look at this painting and think that Jesus knew that I'd eventually come and had to do a whole separate death and resurrection just for me. The dudes who wrote the book left that part out for some reason.

TirNaNo'g

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recall a thread once where someone had figured out the real artwork that was used to create all the original shipwreck paintings. It's kind of nice to have a little culture in the game, although I can see why some might not want their real world religious figure depicted.

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Participation trophies, safe zones and trigger warnings . The New World Order. Hope i didn't offend anyone.

Miretar

Journeyman
BTW—I never s
I'm offended by your avatar. That cat has a really sassy look I just don't like...
The cat, may he Rest In Peace, was sassy from time to time. His name was Magnus, and he was my emotional support animal. Magnus was gentle, loving and sweet tempered, and a perfect companion in every way. This past week was the third anniversary of his death and I mourn his passing everyday.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait, some of you are serious about being offended by this picture? It is indistinguishable from the UO art. You can't even say for sure that the painting you're referencing is the picture in UO. I thought you were joking, but now I'm just disappointed at how thin-skinned some of you are. You're the type that wants to ban books, aren't you?

Miretar

Journeyman
Wait, some of you are serious about being offended by this picture? It is indistinguishable from the UO art. You can't even say for sure that the painting you're referencing is the picture in UO. I thought you were joking, but now I'm just disappointed at how thin-skinned some of you are. You're the type that wants to ban books, aren't you?
I do have an MA in art history—in renaissance art. There is a full color photo of the painting in Hart’s “Italian Renaistance Art”, which was the standard textbook on the subject in my undergraduate days. So yes I am qualified to recognize this very famous painting and to understand its iconography. I am not religious, but I do appreciate and enjoy religious art. While I find the Madonna with the Long Neck disturbing and even grotesque, that is not my point. I asked why there is a religious painting in this game. I just do not think that religious art has any place in a secular game.

And no I do not support book banning. Even idiots have a right to their opinion. To paraphrase Voltaire: “I disagree with you completely, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just do not think that religious art has any place in a secular game.
Sosaria is connected to Earth.

The Avatar, Lord British + the companions came from Earth originally.
In Ultima II the earth is ravaged by Nuclear warfare and you travel through time on Earth because of Minax
In Worlds of Ultima 2 , you travel to Mars and many NPCs are historical figures from Earth: such as Theodore Roosevelt, Edison, Mark Twain, and so on.

Like it or not, Ultima will always have a connection to the real world.

The painting has been in the game 25 years now, a little late to be upset by it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You quote Voltaire but yet advocate for the removal of a picture practically no layman will be able to identify because it offends you. You sir, are a hypocrite
I always thought that picture was a blurry ballerina dancing on 1 leg.

After seeing what it is based on, I am fine with it. I also would like to see what the others were based on so I can see how wrong I am on thinking what they are.

1665855055952.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought the top one was a loaf of bread on a shelf. The bottom one is famous.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just do not think that religious art has any place in a secular game.

And no I do not support book banning. Even idiots have a right to their opinion. To paraphrase Voltaire: “I disagree with you completely, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”
Who designated UO as a secular game, and what does that mean in the first place? If the game is not proclaimed to be religious in substance, does it mean that no religious symbols are allowed anywhere? Then I have news for you. There is religious symbolism all over the game. Or is it just Christian symbolism that one is supposed to be offended over? And, the book-burning and Voltaire references are just laughable - you supposedly are against book burning, yet advocate for a removal of an obscure image that nobody but you chose to be offended over. You quote Voltaire, but casually dub all those who have different opinions from yours "idiots". It seems your liberal arts education failed to teach you to be, well - liberal.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Veldrane and @railshot

I am do not know much about Voltaire Except for this part of his life:

Voltaire believed above all in the efficacy of reason. He believed social progress could be achieved through reason and that no authority—religious or political or otherwise—should be immune to challenge by reason.

I do not understand the reason you are calling the the OP a hypocrite because of them being offended by a painting and a reference to Voltaire.

I am more of a fan of Alessandro Volta, so I get those 2 names mixed up.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Voltaire believed above all in the efficacy of reason. He believed social progress could be achieved through reason and that no authority—religious or political or otherwise—should be immune to challenge by reason.
I was referencing the spirit of Miretar's quote which makes him a hypocrite. Now if what he is actually referencing is really a Voltaire quote, I can't say for sure. Given that he's been wrong about many of the details of the said picture that has earned his wrath... I wouldn't put money on it.

Miretar said:
To paraphrase Voltaire: “I disagree with you completely, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was referencing the spirit of Miretar's quote which makes him a hypocrite. Now if what he is actually referencing is really a Voltaire quote, I can't say for sure. Given that he's been wrong about many of the details of the said picture that has earned his wrath... I wouldn't put money on it.
Thanks I get it now. rephrase the quote to I defend UOs right to use the picture. I am Literal I have to see it in black and white. :)

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If a blurry religious painting offends you by being in a so called "secular" game - you do not belong in UO. The Avatar througout the Utlima series was a model of morality for players to emulate (or so Garriot hoped) and eventually expressed fully by the Avatar's becoming the embodiment of the virtues (expressions of morality). Until recent modern times, morality was tied directly to religion. The virtues are directly out of western religion. The concept of the Avatar & the Ultima series eventually culminated in a real time morality experiment experiment called UO . Garriot along with the core UO team believed that players would generally make the right (moral aka good) choices given the tools to do so within an environment of somewhat free will, if you may. They all commented later on how shocked they were that the player base almost over-whelmingly choose to do evil deeds.

UO has since devolved into just another mindless form of online entertainment despite Garriot's orginal intentions.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They all commented later on how shocked they were that the player base almost over-whelmingly choose to do evil deeds.
While I do understand that this is true, I generally don't believe this. I do believe that most players did choose good over evil. The evil deeds, however, are just more memorable than the good ones. The evil deeds are the ones that the developers heard about and caused people to complain about the game. Good deeds, for the most part, are boring and don't require any developer attention, so they mainly go unnoticed despite being an overwhelming majority of what takes place in the game.

Honestly, it's probably the same with the "greed fest" that the game has basically boiled down to. I can't believe that most players are incredibly greedy, but the ones that are are the ones we hear about. I like to think that the majority of players aren't like that, but again, those players, to the eyes of those reading and playing, are boring and overlooked.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I do understand that this is true, I generally don't believe this. I do believe that most players did choose good over evil. The evil deeds, however, are just more memorable than the good ones. The evil deeds are the ones that the developers heard about and caused people to complain about the game. Good deeds, for the most part, are boring and don't require any developer attention, so they mainly go unnoticed despite being an overwhelming majority of what takes place in the game.

Honestly, it's probably the same with the "greed fest" that the game has basically boiled down to. I can't believe that most players are incredibly greedy, but the ones that are are the ones we hear about. I like to think that the majority of players aren't like that, but again, those players, to the eyes of those reading and playing, are boring and overlooked.
You can spin it however you want, I am speaking directly from reading Garriot's and other developers own words that I have read multiple times.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I asked why there is a religious painting in this game.
I would assume that artists are lazy and classic paintings such as this are public domain and are freely available for commercial use.

You can spin it however you want, I am speaking directly from reading Garriot's and other developers own words that I have read multiple times.
Again, I understand that what you say is true and I am not applying any sort of spin on what you stated, as it cannot be refuted that Garriot and other developers have said this. I am merely pointing out that just because they are developers and stated it does not make it true. I have read the same things but have not seen any data points backing it up, likely because they don't exist. The developers likely speak based off of feedback that they received during their time as developers but "good deeds" likely don't generate much memorable feedback, at least not nearly as much as the "evil deeds" do.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, I understand that what you say is true and I am not applying any sort of spin on what you stated, as it cannot be refuted that Garriot and other developers have said this. I am merely pointing out that just because they are developers and stated it does not make it true. I have read the same things but have not seen any data points backing it up, likely because they don't exist. The developers likely speak based off of feedback that they received during their time as developers but "good deeds" likely don't generate much memorable feedback, at least not nearly as much as the "evil deeds" do.
Data points? You want a psychological case study, a statistical analysis of good or evil deeds, or a "gallop poll"? To open the whole can of worms for the 60,0000th time, they seriously considering shutting UO down because the player base was dropping like flies due to such "good" behavior. The fact that subscriptions were tanking in corellation to the complaints - there's your data points. The only ones that matter. The bottom line - ratio of money. coming in vs cost of upkeep. They decided on splitting the worlds into Trammel & Felluca to try & save it. This I read maybe a few months ago from one of the devs back then. I really should start saving this stuff. But then again, I don't need to be convinced, I have experienced the game in its good and bad phases for 24+ yrs.

And on another note, all the stuff that happened during the Destard event has done irreversible damage to my servers community. Many people who were around for these events are either not around or very quiet now. Event chat is mostly non-existent. It happened mid event during Destard. People just got fed up with all the "good" behavior that was forced onto them. It is sad. Most of us hated Hythloth, but we all had so much fun hating it together.

Last edited:

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I applaud each and every one of you for not letting this thread devolve and become locked/moved. Kudos UHall. Just like the old days.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Data points? You want a psychological case study, a statistical analysis of good or evil deeds, or a "gallop poll"? To open the whole can of worms for the 60,0000th time, they seriously considering shutting UO down because the player base was dropping like flies due to such "good" behavior. They decided on splitting the worlds into Trammel & Felluca to try & save it. This I read maybe a few months ago from one of the devs back then. I really should start saving this stuff. But then again, I don't need to be convinced, I have experienced the game in its good and bad phases for 24+ yrs.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I read the same things and I probably know exactly what article you are talking about. The data points, as I said, probably don't exist. What I can assure you of, is that for every Belan the Looter, every Chad Sexington, every idocguy, there are probably 500 people that killed 800,000 balrons or whatever and saved the realm from certain destruction. You just don't know who those 500 noble people are because they are boring. Those 500 people don't cause people to take to the forums with torches and pitchforks. You didn't have to create Trammel because of those 500 people. That fact could cause a developer to believe that the majority of people chose evil over good, when it simply is not the case.

I can log into almost any shard right now and get a complete stranger to give me plenty of gold, advice, or kind words within 5 minutes. (I have literally proven this). I wonder how long it would take to find someone to murder or scam me?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I applaud each and every one of you for not letting this thread devolve and become locked/moved. Kudos UHall. Just like the old days.
This might be one of the more interesting threads Stratics has had recently. Despite how it has been derailed completely (not in any small part by myself), the conversation going on here is quite civil and mildly entertaining.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh, don't get me wrong, I read the same things and I probably know exactly what article you are talking about. The data points, as I said, probably don't exist. What I can assure you of, is that for every Belan the Looter, every Chad Sexington, every idocguy, there are probably 500 people that killed 800,000 balrons or whatever and saved the realm from certain destruction. You just don't know who those 500 noble people are because they are boring. Those 500 people don't cause people to take to the forums with torches and pitchforks. You didn't have to create Trammel because of those 500 people. That fact could cause a developer to believe that the majority of people chose evil over good, when it simply is not the case.

I can log into almost any shard right now and get a complete stranger to give me plenty of gold, advice, or kind words within 5 minutes. (I have literally proven this). I wonder how long it would take to find someone to murder or scam me?
Just go pop a champ...

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In an mmo I played for 6.5 yrs, I went out of my way to help several "noobies". But here is where I am sure I fundamentally differ from most people. I might be considered a bit cynical but it to me an important difference.

Of the things "given", did any of them really cost the giver anything? Was there any actual sacrifice? Did it take them half a day of their busy time they did not have to either coach you or make stuff for you? Did they only have two of an item and gave you one of them they might have used later (sacrifice)? Gearwise I would guess no. It was probably stuff they had laying around or they could get easily. Moneywise, the game is flooded with it. I am not a money chaser in mmo's, but I have more money than I know what to do with at this point. Most of this behavior imo, is generally civil behavoir and not virtuous.

A person who takes time to give good advice because the giver wants the other person to do well or to offer kind words that will encourage someone to continue so they too can experience the same joy they had, those could be considered virtuous. I do not measure virtue by things given. But in time taken. Civil behavior costs nothing to participate in but makes people feel good. Virtuous behavior costs the giver something of themselves - normally sacrifice.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just go pop a champ...
I used to do this all the time. Pop a champ, work the spawn, wait for the raid, bring in my thief, profit. It takes longer than begging for a few million and isn't always successful.

I think Pete's point is similar to the actual amount of murderers in the 1700s 1800s. They were a very small percentage of the population but their infamy lived on.
Exactly. I highly doubt that the evil players ever outnumbered the good, despite what past developers or some players say. I think that the developers hypothesis on morality was always true, but the fact that the "evil" players caused them more stress than they imagined overshadowed that truth.