• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

just an fyi....

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Known to whom? Never heard of it, what is this issue then?
When you say as well, do you mean as well as the first fictitious issue? You thought you might conjure up another
For years people have complained about blessed items staying on body. The person that posted below me said they had one stay on body as well.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I die a lot. I have insured and blessed items. Never lost one. I have noticed items on my corpse. And guess what, I forgot to insure or bless them. I have noticed items on other players corpses, guess what, they did not insure them.

The only time I lost an item was when I went in the spider queen with a cursed set of arms. I died inside at the same time the queen died and accidentally left the encounter. I could not just go back in.

I also use 100% LRC. Never had a spell give me the message that I don't have the required ingredients.
I have had a mob disrobe or curse me so a heavy item fell off, than I got the message.

I guess I am an anomaly.

Last edited:

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with maybe 2 dozen or so claims..
So what you are saying is that in all the time that insurance has existed in the game there have only been 2 dozen claims? Not sure how you would even have the data to support this claim . On top of that I am sure that if all of the posts about insurance bugs on statics were counted it would be much higher than 20.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If so, he's spot on.
Kinda rude for someone who says they spend most of their time on emukated servers. Nice new, super clean code.
I accept percieved fault. Some of it could be pkayer error.Have your pets with aoes attacked someone or someone elses in Tram? No? Cant happen. Yeah. Not coded to.

but, what if we are right, and its a rare bug. Instead of other players investigating it, your fast to call BS.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Known to whom? Never heard of it, what is this issue then?
When you say as well, do you mean as well as the first fictitious issue? You thought you might conjure up another
Known personally to me, for one. Years ago in the days of valuable Doom artifacts and UO gold selling on eBay for $50 per million, I looted a blessed Staff of the Magi off someone's fresh corpse. It was payback, since he was not only an infamous scammer, but that Staff he'd gotten in trade for an Arcane Shield, and that he got from someone I thought was a friend and could be trusted to "borrow" it. What made it even more karmic was that the Staff on his body was still insured. I'd have returned it for most anyone else, but not for him.

Like I (and no doubt others) have replied to you before: just because you haven't experienced something yourself doesn't mean it never happened to anyone else.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i've experienced all the bugs mentioned here... spells that fail due to lack of reagents when wearing a 100 lrc suit (albeit that was in the early days when lrc was new).
Last week a character running Protection (the icon was still right there in the buff bar) was disrupted by a monster's spell. It wasn't a matter of losing mana to Mana Drain or Mana Vampire. The message was very clear. It shouldn't have happened, but it did nonetheless.

I'm not going to excuse the current UO team because they're responsible for the final product one way or another, but speaking practically, when I don't think they fully know how the programming for luck works, how can they track down rare bugs? There's also a big presumption that they really care in the first place. I've long been convinced they aren't going to spend a lot of time debugging when success won't have much effect on player retention anyway. Want to bet Mesanna even says that behind the scenes?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When things are left on the corpse that are insured or blessed it is often due to you being overweight... either thru being cursed or not wearing stat items so when those items aren't on you anymore like when you die and you go to pick up your stuff it picks up the last in... first out I believe ... could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that's the way it goes..... which then if your equipment is the first to fall on to your "death" it is the last to be "retrieved" and sometimes then will fall to your corpse... even though it's insured or blessed... because you couldn't hold it when you died.

Now you can call that a bug... or it's due to the way the code works... and you can say I'm speculating whatever... but that's the way I understand it to happen. And Yes I have had it happen... but no I didn't lose my stuff as I looted it myself from my own corpse.

Even had a blessed spellbook get "destroyed" with my corpse at an event with a "harrower" like mob... when my corpse was destroyed... so... again... go figure... though that was ages ago when insurance just started.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Last week a character running Protection (the icon was still right there in the buff bar) was disrupted by a monster's spell. It wasn't a matter of losing mana to Mana Drain or Mana Vampire. The message was very clear. It shouldn't have happened, but it did nonetheless.
That happens in Fire with lichs. It is a spell that hit you between cast and use. Not a bug.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED

I'm not going to excuse the current UO team because they're responsible for the final product one way or another, but speaking practically, when I don't think they fully know how the programming for luck works, how can they track down rare bugs? There's also a big presumption that they really care in the first place. I've long been convinced they aren't going to spend a lot of time debugging when success won't have much effect on player retention anyway. Want to bet Mesanna even says that behind the scenes?
Try paralize, vid or it didn't happen. Who says they don't know how luck works? it's fully documented on the official wiki.

When things are left on the corpse that are insured or blessed it is often due to you being overweight... either thru being cursed or not wearing stat items so when those items aren't on you anymore like when you die and you go to pick up your stuff it picks up the last in... first out I believe ... could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that's the way it goes..... which then if your equipment is the first to fall on to your "death" it is the last to be "retrieved" and sometimes then will fall to your corpse... even though it's insured or blessed... because you couldn't hold it when you died.

Now you can call that a bug... or it's due to the way the code works... and you can say I'm speculating whatever... but that's the way I understand it to happen. And Yes I have had it happen... but no I didn't lose my stuff as I looted it myself from my own corpse.

Even had a blessed spellbook get "destroyed" with my corpse at an event with a "harrower" like mob... when my corpse was destroyed... so... again... go figure... though that was ages ago when insurance just started.
I'll look into this.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It can, should, and does happen. there are a couple of different mobs that cast Mysticism spells and the one below does it.

1629361695446.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll look into this.
If you are farming gold and use bless to hold more, then die, you may have either the gold or something else left on the corpse when you click it. If you use jewels that add strength and are overweight without them, items will be left on the corpse. Your toon has to be very overweight. Mining or lumberjack can do that also.

Also if you carry close to 125 items when you die, your armor puts you over the limit so items will be left on your corpse.

In both circumstances the items left are not insured items. In my experience. But maybe if you have 125 insured items plus armor, insured items may be on the corpse.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you are farming gold and use bless to hold more, then die, you may have either the gold or something else left on the corpse when you click it. If you use jewels that add strength and are overweight without them, items will be left on the corpse. Your toon has to be very overweight. Mining or lumberjack can do that also.

Also if you carry close to 125 items when you die, your armor puts you over the limit so items will be left on your corpse.

In both circumstances the items left are not insured items. In my experience. But maybe if you have 125 insured items plus armor, insured items may be on the corpse.
Maybe... Might also be several piles of things... with a curse... or other affliction as well... weaken... lag might be a factor as well... so many variables. But it's always been a theory of mine that it has a lot to do with being overweight... as I have a few characters that often normally run close to the weight limit... they almost never loot gold...

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That happens in Fire with lichs. It is a spell that hit you between cast and use. Not a bug.
So that's the Microsoft excuse: "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

It was a para succubus, actually, and protection is supposed to prevent spell disruption anyway. I've never experienced it at any other time.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Try paralize, vid or it didn't happen.
How did we know you'd reply with your typical malarkey? Just because you never experienced something doesn't mean it never happened to anyone else, you know, like billions of humans who've had coitus.

Who says they don't know how luck works? it's fully documented on the official wiki.
Lots of us say they don't know. The "official wiki" is only what they claim, based on what they inherited. You have an awful lot of misplaced faith in their ability to understand what others left behind.

Kyronix claimed that luck affects the drop rate in the event, but I've yet to see any significant difference on the same day with the same spawn. Has he actually seen the relevant lines for himself, if they even exist? Are you really such a blind cheerleader for them, or are you just looking for ways to troll.

And what message was that?
The one about fizzling, duh.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was a para succubus, actually,
Yup they do that. It is a spell that hits you between cast and execute of your spell and you get the message that you fizzle.
Look close and you can see the graphic the spell makes. Annoying and causes you to die sometimes.

You both fired but she hit first,
1629415433246.png

Worse is running in to get 1 lich and they all cast on you at the same time and you run more than a screen away and the fireballs still hit you and you die.

Last edited:

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
The one about fizzling, duh.
Which one?
because if your spell was interrupted, you would receive a system message, if the spell fizzles, that's because you tried to release the spell while you were paralized. (which is not interrupting the spell casting, it is like everything on this thread - user error)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At 100% LRC I often receive the message that more reagents are required to cast that spell... So NO... It isn't because I got hit with anything... 100% LRC is a lie... I find you need to have at least 105% LRC to never get that message. I have many "cheap" LRC suits on other shards that have 100% LRC and they fail to cast quite often... Probably 1:3 casts... which is sad.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At 100% LRC I often receive the message that more reagents are required to cast that spell... So NO... It isn't because I got hit with anything... 100% LRC is a lie... I find you need to have at least 105% LRC to never get that message. I have many "cheap" LRC suits on other shards that have 100% LRC and they fail to cast quite often... Probably 1:3 casts... which is sad.
Since you play so often and it happens so often, I would like to see that message on a screenshot with 100% LRC in the stat screen. I must be an anomaly because I have never got the more reagents are required message on my suits.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is probably a rounding and display error, so the suit may show 17 or 18 a peice, but actually be like 16.78, round down for the formulae, but round up for display. This type of thing has happened in the past for other games

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is probably a rounding and display error, so the suit may show 17 or 18 a peice, but actually be like 16.78, round down for the formulae, but round up for display. This type of thing has happened in the past for other games
Suit mods are not fractional in the code. :tinhat: If your theory does not include Aliens no one will believe you.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
HOLD ME BACK

Absolute trash, this has NEVER EVER happened to anyone, ever.
Everrrr.

Let us break this down, PvP mages record everything 100% of the time using shadow play or version thereof (acts like a dashcam), so if something out of the ordinary like this ever happened, they would’ve reported it and shown a video of it.

never heard of this happening, not even 1 time. never happened to me and I play mage exclusively.

( NB: there is one documented bug if you have a ship rune in a runic atlas, you can receive the no reagent message if you try to recall to a ship using a charge)

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup they do that. It is a spell that hits you between cast and execute of your spell and you get the message that you fizzle.
Look close and you can see the graphic the spell makes. Annoying and causes you to die sometimes.

You both fired but she hit first,

Worse is running in to get 1 lich and they all cast on you at the same time and you run more than a screen away and the fireballs still hit you and you die.
Disruption still shouldn't apply to "Your concentration is disturbed," at least not with how the Protection spell is supposed to work. I don't accept the Microsoft-type excuse. That's not to say I'm blaming you, just that it's an obvious bug which even then I've noticed just the one time.

Spells hitting even from across dungeon levels is another bug that I doubt they'd expend any resources to fix.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which one?
because if your spell was interrupted, you would receive a system message, if the spell fizzles, that's because you tried to release the spell while you were paralized. (which is not interrupting the spell casting, it is like everything on this thread - user error)
Asked, and answered elsewhere. It wasn't being paralyzed, which is something many of us have seen for a very long time and understand is part of game mechanics as designed.

You use that term "user error," although it doesn't mean what you think it means. Look in the mirror, however, if you'd like a prime example.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe... Might also be several piles of things... with a curse... or other affliction as well... weaken... lag might be a factor as well... so many variables. But it's always been a theory of mine that it has a lot to do with being overweight... as I have a few characters that often normally run close to the weight limit... they almost never loot gold...
Now this is a sensible explanation. I doubt it's what happened to the scammer I got the Staff from, though, as I'd doubt he was running around so heavy.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So what you are saying is that in all the time that insurance has existed in the game there have only been 2 dozen claims? Not sure how you would even have the data to support this claim . On top of that I am sure that if all of the posts about insurance bugs on statics were counted it would be much higher than 20.
To be clear... what I'm saying is that I've only ever heard of this so called "bug" in this thread and that of the 3 people claiming it (none of which can reproduce) that maybe there is 2 dozen claims ever.... maybe. Please go count the number of insurance bugs on stratics and let me know what the count is if you are so inclined. Would love to see the links too so I can verify.

And when you do look for through the post if see anything like the below you know it's bous

I have many "cheap" LRC suits on other shards that have 100% LRC and they fail to cast quite often... Probably 1:3 casts... which is sad.
This is without a doubt BS. I might.... MIGHT believe that like 1 out of 400 times or something very rare might happen... but 33% of the time you get the message you don't have reagents when you are truly at 100% LRC? Mmmm no. I run 95% LRC on one of my mages since my ring broke and I might get the reagent message 1 outta 10-15 casts... so 1:3 with 100% makes zero sense... you might as well just rock 95% like me.

The most likely case here is that it's user error and the user just doesn't want to look into it or believe it's them... so they embellish the issue to make it seem relevant.

Last edited:

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just an update, lost 2 bows on sunday. They were both insured through the insurance menu, not single clicked. It was pvp, i run near weight capacity, and i could have been cursed when killed.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
best answer is, if it didnt happen to me, its not happening lol. i havent had any issue for over 15 years, maybe 20. since the cheat/bug people used to uninsure your all your items or make u over weight where items would drop to the ground lol. stopped me from going to fel acouple years. some old players may remember this and other issues. when people post things like this, they are just giving warning to other players there maybe a problem.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TLDR entire thread but if not mentioned, there is a known “glitch” that can drop blessed and/or insured items. Could prob b classified under user error. I’ve posted b4 yrs ago as a warning when it happened to me.

If players have over 125 items in their pack, including all gear taken off, the game code can drop random pieces of wearable gear to keep the 125 items in ur pack limit.

Example: Farming tchests at Miasma & had ~120 items in my pack. Heading towards exit when ISP hickup slowed me to a crawl and Rend decided to say hello. oOoOoOoOo
Not tested this recently so not sure if still works the same but... game code saw wearables towards the 125 items in pack limit & dropped random gear items to keep me at the limit. At the time, didnt notice this bc just clicked corpse & ran. Realized missing gear much later. Lost couple hundo mils of items, all insured & 1 blessed. Tried to figure out what happened & after couple hrs went back to test a theory. Reproduced exactly what happened, ressed, & went back to my corpse. This time carefully examining the scene, found a stack of my wearables on the tile where I died. I’ve never carried over 90-ish items in pack since & never had this prob again.

Edit: In PvP some folks will drop locked chests full of rando items or even carry them hoping others will loot or pick them up. They’re betting eventually someone that gets the chests will fit the ‘over 125 limit’ category & when that person dies that person will drop gear items. Be careful folks. ;)

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
best answer is, if it didnt happen to me, its not happening lol. i havent had any issue for over 15 years, maybe 20. since the cheat/bug people used to uninsure your all your items or make u over weight where items would drop to the ground lol. stopped me from going to fel acouple years. some old players may remember this and other issues. when people post things like this, they are just giving warning to other players there maybe a problem.
A guildmate once died at the B—, oops, I mean Piper spawn, and his entire suit stayed on his body, still insured. He had plenty of gold in the bank. The guild we were fighting returned all his stuff, which was surprisingly honorable considering their general rep. This was least 16 years ago, however.

I think he'd have quit UO after losing all his best gear. After that I started wearing only blessed items and replaceable pieces for a long time.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I went on test centre and tried filling myself up with both max items and being overweight and also insuring every item, and cursing myself, could not reproduce leaving any insured item on a corpse.

That said, i did loot a whole bag of insured slayers from a friends corpse at a piper spawn once - but then again he was running about 100 scripts on an unofficial client.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What happened to me was ~7yrs ago. I have never used anything except UO & UOA. Glad they fixed it then. Thanks for testing.

Ps. Glad to see ya Zog :)

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My friend was spawning on his new sampire using a suit a made him bout 9 years ago. He messages me the next day he died and his chest was looted by the mob. I yelled at him and made him a new chest and insured it, I went to the spawn with him opened his paperdoll and noted it was still insured. He died and ran his ghost out of the mob and I rezzed him he was redressing and noticed he didn't have his chest. I ran to his body and removed his insured chest from his dead body. I was at an undead spawn and died saw a lich had looted my corpse and figured it was bandies. I rezzed and couldn't find my earrings of protection, I killed the lich and on its corpse was my blessed earrings of protection.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My friend was spawning on his new sampire using a suit a made him bout 9 years ago. He messages me the next day he died and his chest was looted by the mob. I yelled at him and made him a new chest and insured it, I went to the spawn with him opened his paperdoll and noted it was still insured. He died and ran his ghost out of the mob and I rezzed him he was redressing and noticed he didn't have his chest. I ran to his body and removed his insured chest from his dead body. I was at an undead spawn and died saw a lich had looted my corpse and figured it was bandies. I rezzed and couldn't find my earrings of protection, I killed the lich and on its corpse was my blessed earrings of protection.
This is fishy to me... what client were you both using any shall we say sketchy programs running..