• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jeremy, where do you live (online)?

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings Jeremy,

Today I was thinking of that OSI owned vendor house in Luna/ATL. Wouldn't that make a marvelous official residence for our EA Community Rep?

Now before you begin having nightmares about enduring pixel rants.... you have already stated that email is the most efficient way to contact you. I'm not thinking of you logging into your virtual office every day to deal with gaming issues. I was thinking more of a social experiment.

How would folks react to your presence in-game? Could you ride through Fellucia without fear? Would folks extend courtesy to your avatar as they (hopefully) do in real life? Would you have to log in 10x a day to erase nasty comments from your bulletin board?

I remember reading how Lord British would visit these lands on occasion. Of course, he was murdered once too. Would you have to set INVULNERABILITY-ON when you visit your new office?

Im sure that considering your experience you are pretty good at getting a feel for how folks regard EA/Mythic. I'm hoping that you get PM's and emails of support for the job you do, to counter the negative and sometimes insulting posts to various forums.

But, it sure would be interesting to see how folks would interact with you if you stepped into the lands of Sosaria (in character). Some might even say... In Real Life.

Safe Travels, Sam

G

I spent a couple of hours last Friday in the Winterland hot tub
I don't have an "official" presence on any of the prodo shards although I have characters on most of them for one reason or another. I don't think I'd last long in Fel :p

If I make a public appearance, it's most likely to be on Test to avoid shard favoritism

A

Al Thorin

I resent test cause it always gets all the visits from Devs and such.
Delete it.

G

Why don't you make some weekly visits and once a week on a set day login on a different shard to greet the community for a few minutes? I think that something like that could be beneficial to the community.

G

Only if I can talk Draconi into putting a hot tub on every shard

G

How You get out!? *grumbles*

*thawps Jeremy with a club and drags her back to his cave in that shard over there*

*grumbles beast-like noises*

We need hot-tub here in cave!

*beats chest and roars*

P

pallas

Personally I think the Dev team need to make more of a playing presence in the games. They should BE required to log in.

All I can think of is when Draconi was supposed to have 'flipped the switch' on the Magincia event last part and NO ONE on the UO Team even noticed until players on stratics had pointed it out like THREE DAYS later. Basically, not one person logged in during that time? No one noticed?

To me, that speaks volumes about the people that make the game and the actual interest they show in it.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, you can have Draconi make your house the only permanent residence on Test Shard. And... the germ-ridden hot tub as well if you're set on that. Perhaps a natural hot spring would be better, eh? Nothing like the thrill of bathing in water heated by a nearby volcano. I bet Draconi would like the possibilities that opens up.

Safe Travels, Sam

L

Lady Katherine

*imagines Jeremy in a (blue/purple/red/etc.) robe being bombarded with "Can I have your robe?"*

*remembers her old counselor days*

It would be fun to see you in an official capacity, but I would imagine being incognito would be easier.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so what character type is your favorite and why cant u go to new haven help, YOUNGS LOL!! if there were any and teach a few minutes each week!!!!!

C

Cellmate

Hey Jeremy, I own a pub in Luna on Oceania...nothing more likely to make a hit with Aussie players then to buy em all a beer!!

You're welcome to drop in anytime...and really, what's it matter if you show shard favouritism anyway...EA/OSI's been doing that for years...I know that you, deep inside and hidden, like Oce best, even if you won't admit it, lol.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always dreamed of having a "Town Hall Meeting" on the test shard. That way everyone can come and meet the Devs and ask them all the questions that they have been dieing to know about. It would give the players a chance to interact with the Devs on a more personal level and also make the player feel like they do have a voice about the game they love. (Sorry but most players do not visit these boards and post their thoughts here, as much as I do encourage them to do it.) The GMs could even send a Representative to show that they really do exist and to listen to out complaints about the feelings of lack of support.
This would also give the players a chance to meet and interact with the new team members. We can get a feel for what they want to do in game for us and they can get direct feedback on how we feel about the game. In my opinion its a great idea, but I really doubt it will ever happen.

A

Al Thorin

<blockquote><hr>

Personally I think the Dev team need to make more of a playing presence in the games. They should BE required to log in.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be a mistake, and a complete waste of time imo.
They would just get swarmed by people asking questions, people either thanking them, or cursing them for the state of the game, and in general the players would create such a rucus that any ingame presence would be lost in spam.

Now, I am sure that at least some of them play, but you can be sure they don't make it known who they are.

I

imported_Lariat

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure he would, as long as it was a flaming blackrock hot tub that exploded at random intervals.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes I had a pleasant time last Friday with Jeremy in the hot tub...PLEASE for the love of all that is sacred in UO DO NOT let Draconi NEAR it!

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See Larisa!
I knew those fishies weren't safe!
If they become blackrock infected I am so out of the tub!

Please Draconi?
Can we have a teensy tiny hot tub on the shards?
Or at least a nice hot springs to dip in?

L

Lord Zephyrus

i m sorry i was having a rough night and got a bit upset but it would be cool if we could see yall around more often even on the test shard just give some kind of notice so we can come hang out

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if she had her "office" on the test shard, anyone can create a char and log in. Plus, if you're embarassed about meeting the Glorious Lady Jeremy in newb clothes, you can always run to the bank and load up on all the godly stuff you can possibly wear.

Certainly asking her to come to one place is more reasonable than asking her to visit 20 something shards?

J

Jhym

I think he should add a spa heartwood quest.

You do the quest, then a section of heartwood opens up so you can go in for hot tubs, refreshments, scantily-clad elves (m &amp; f) that do massage, and reading rooms where you can read and paint.

Or just add a spa to magincia when it is rebuilt.

Where the old tent-house used to be.

I

imported_MoonglowMerchant

Serious question.

My impression is that you don't play much UO and have next to nothing in terms of PvP experience.

Do you think that it significantly impacts your ability to represent the community when a large portion of the community is participating in activities you are nearly completely unfamiliar with?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Buc's Den have a bathhouse?

G

Since I disagree with the premise, I can't really answer that question.

I

What part of the premise do you disagree with?

How many hours a week do you play UO?

How many hours a week do you PvP in UO?

G

It varies pretty widely, and has for the last ten years. Slow weeks, or weeks when I can't stand the computer anymore once I get off work, it might be just a couple of hours (I usually at least get in to test stuff and run routine chores - GGS, BODs - a couple times a week.) Bigger weeks probably top out around 15-20 hours. I peaked at probably 40 hours a week right after AoS, but I was severely underemployed at the time.

I don't PvP - I believe I've said that a few times. It's not my thing - never has been. Do I think that hampers my ability to represent the PvP community? No, I don't think so. The PvP community is exceedingly skilled at telling us what they want, and I certainly feel I have enough general game knowledge to be able to understand what they're talking about.

I've said this before, I'm sure, but my job is not to tell the devs what I think should happen. My job is to tell the devs what *you* think should happen. Certainly I need enough context to make sense of y'all's opinions, but I don't need to be an expert in any given system to point out where the complaints cluster.

I've worked on a fair number of games - games I knew from the ground up, games I'd only played the tutorial for, games I adored, games I loathed. My job description did not change from case to case, nor did my performance of it. Working on UO is a dream come true, quite literally, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm working, and my professional standards don't have anything to do with my personal preferences.

I

<blockquote><hr>

Do you think that it significantly impacts your ability to represent the community when a large portion of the community is participating in activities you are nearly completely unfamiliar with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered the question that time.

As a PvPer and a Siege player I would much prefer you to say that although you don't really care for PvP and have never tried Siege you understand that you could do your job even better by trying both and therefore intend on doing just that.

Your personal preferences do tend to get in the way of that.

P

pallas

<blockquote><hr>

*claps*

You get him Jeremy!!

[/ QUOTE ]

you... get... him?

what is this, an elementary school?

he wasn't attacking her, he was asking a honest question. jeez.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A hospital administrator does not need to know how to perform brain surgery to run a hospital.

Jeremy should not have to PvP, to represent the players that do. If you have an issue with something, make a clear argument, include facts and be polite.

She can take facts to the Devs.

Not that she needs me to defend her... but all this is getting off topic, dont you think?

Rather than accuse of her of being biased, you should invite her to a guild function and have some members demonstrate the (any) issue you are concerned with.

Back to the purpose of the OP (me), if she had an office anywhere... and Test is a good spot. You and a couple friends could easily gear up some chars and show her what is going on.

Safe Travels, Sam

I

Look, I know that Jeremy can do her job without PvPing. She can do her job without PvMing, or crafting, or running bods.

In my opinion, she would better represent the ENTIRE player base if she at least participated to some degree in all the activities of the playerbase.

I would say the same thing about anyone working on UO. They ought to play the game. Not just parts of it, all of it.

For me it is a question of being satisfied with the level or service we get, or wanting more.

I want more. I expect improvement.

PvPing a little, creating a character on Siege. That can not hurt.

Being complacent, that hurts.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the OP was suggesting that she establish a permanent base somewhere. She stated that she wouldn't want to show favoritism to any shard... so sticking with the original theme of the post... would you consider her presence (as her schedule allows) on test center a viable option to allow you and other players to demontrate issues in context?

Can you simulate PvP issues more effectively on Test shard? Remove any variable elements, set up a controlled demonstration?

This is a big game and expecting anyone to try and participate in everything (even a little bit) is a huge investment in time.

Safe Travels, Sam

I

<blockquote><hr>

Well, the OP was suggesting that she establish a permanent base somewhere. She stated that she wouldn't want to show favoritism to any shard... so sticking with the original theme of the post... would you consider her presence (as her schedule allows) on test center a viable option to allow you and other players to demontrate issues in context?

Can you simulate PvP issues more effectively on Test shard? Remove any variable elements, set up a controlled demonstration?

[/ QUOTE ]

In short, No. Test center works really well if it is a backup of an existing shard. Otherwise, it is pretty worthless except for figuring out the bugs in the next publish so that you can exploit them on your own shard.

Test center should go away permanently. Hell, they don't really test stuff on there anymore so what is the point?

<blockquote><hr>

This is a big game and expecting anyone to try and participate in everything (even a little bit) is a huge investment in time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that is the problem isn't it. You can't get more people to play the game without making an investment and that is apparently too much to ask.

G

I'm a ten-year vet. I HAVE pvped - it wasn't always optional. I've participated in tournaments, fought off ambushes, and run like a rabbit through the woods (often :p) I just don't particularly care for it. I had a character on Siege when it first came out, but I have a sentimental attachment to my home shard and haven't felt much desire to leave, and frankly I don't miss getting ganked.

All of which isn't really relevant to my job. I don't make the decisions as to what gets changed, or how. I just set up the focus groups, chart the feedback, report the reactions, and explain the changes when necessary.

Besides which, if history is any indication, if I *did* PvP, everyone would be convinced I was favoring a particular template :p

I

Jeremy,

Do me a favor. The next time you log in to UO to get GGS gains or run BOD's, take a few minutes and create a character on Siege. Play there just a little. Experience current PvP and ROT for yourself.

Now that Wilki is no longer part of the team, Siege doesn't have any voice other than yours. You report our concerns, and chart our feedback. However, you do so without experiencing any of it.

<blockquote><hr>

frankly I don't miss getting ganked

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. The experience is quite different than reading about it.

I'm asking you to do this because it would help Siege and I really believe it would help you to be better in your work as well.

If you choose not to, that is your choice. It is my opinion that it would be your loss and Siege's though.

G

So, since this thread is now thoroughly hijacked, what is your opinion on RoT? What do you think I'm missing? How do you think playing on Siege will help me interpret the data I have differently?

I

Honestly, I think changes to ROT would largely be a waste of time.

Years ago on Siege, there was a bug that allowed players to bypass the timer and the daily limits by using moongates to change servers. At that time, there was a pretty large influx of players to the shard.

During the blackrock event and with the subsequent alacrity scroll event, despite a decrease in training time, there was no corresponding increase in players. Why? Our players come from production shards and production shards are less and less populated.

If the goal is to decrease training times for players who are on Siege now, then by all means change ROT.

If the goal is to increase the Siege population, changes to ROT will not have a significant impact.

I'm not against it but it will take more.

G

OK... I see your position, but that's not what I'm doing. I don't think about it that way - all I'm doing is going "OK, the players are asking for x bugfix/balance tweak/new feature. I need to make sure the dev team is aware that this is being asked for."

I am not looking at it terms of the bigger picture. That would be the responsibility of the Live team lead designer and/or strike team lead, when they're prioritizing player requests, events, and new features. They're the ones who look at what's being asked for, what the overall impact to the playerbase is, what the risks are, and what the cost (in man-hours) is to implement any given item on the list. I just give them the data I have regarding the requests for and against so they understand that side of the equation.

I

I understand your position, but I think you are selling yourself short.

If all you do is hand someone a piece of paper or email them a spreadsheet then your interactions are neutral as you describe.

If there is ever a conversation, if your opinion is ever asked, then your experience comes into play.

When that conversation happens, when that opinion is given, I'd like you to think about the impact on Siege.

I think it makes sense that you could do that better with experience.

We need someone. Who is the voice of Siege if not you?

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

... take a few minutes and create a character on Siege. Play there just a little. Experience current PvP and ROT for yourself...

[/ QUOTE ]

So, create a new char on Siege... play for a few mins and a person can get a feel for what Siege is all about? I didnt realize that shard was so easy.

If you have some issue with gameplay on Siege, make the effort to state your own case. You can create a new thread, make your case and engage others in the dialogue as well.

Safe Travels, Sam

I

Sam,

I apologize if you feel that your thread has been hijacked.

Your idea was for EA to have an office and representation in game, correct?

Well, that is what I want too. I am asking Jeremy to make an appearance on Siege.

I know it's not Luna/ATL but I think she has been there and done that.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

I understand your position, but I think you are selling yourself short.

If all you do is hand someone a piece of paper or email them a spreadsheet then your interactions are neutral as you describe.

If there is ever a conversation, if your opinion is ever asked, then your experience comes into play.

When that conversation happens, when that opinion is given, I'd like you to think about the impact on Siege.

I think it makes sense that you could do that better with experience.

We need someone. Who is the voice of Siege if not you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't ... feel that she's selling herself short.
That part read(to me) as a clear definition of what she does.

You seem to be asking for a version of favoritisim ... or special treatment ...
beyond, what she has described there.

Oh, probably she "could do it" ...but ... to be Fair in doing it ...
as in fair and balanced ... she'd need to (as if it would be possible)
ALSO incorporate "big picture" veiws for each specific shard ... not just Siege.

Siege Mugen for starters ...
balanced against
Siege East coast shards
Mugen Asian shards
Siege vs West coast shards ....
mmmmm 25 x 25 single combinations ... 625
then f!(factor) the singles the doubles the ...

Better to do as she's doing ...
me thinks ...

No Harm in you asking for a "Siege/Mugen" advocate

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I apologize if you feel that your thread has been hijacked....
...I know it's not Luna/ATL but I think she has been there and done that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only suggested Luna/ATL as there is an OSI owned property there. I can create a character on any shard so I dont know why anyone would really care where she would set it up.

Good luck with your quest to improve conditions on Siege.

Safe Travels, Sam

G

YOU are the voice of Siege. You speak through me.

I can't be the "voice" of any single playstyle, server, guild, or faction and still do my job. I have to represent the community as it is. As it is, Siege is small but vocal, and their concerns are valid but impact fewer people than more general gameplay concerns - and more general gameplay concerns impact Siege, too.

Judging from the overall tone of the Siege-related discussions over the past year, I think we did a reasonable job - we got the Arms Lore special case in, we got the blessed combat items out, nailing the #1 reported Siege issue for '07. We also got a lot of more general changes in, particularly in PvP, which solved a large percentage of the reported PvP concerns - brought up some new ones, too, but in nothing like the volume that, say, Nerve Strike did.

I think we're doing ok, and I'd like to think we'll continue to do ok. Once we get back into our publish rhythm, we'll just have to see if y'all agree.

C

chitrani

<blockquote><hr>

Now that Wilki is no longer part of the team, Siege doesn't have any voice other than yours. You report our concerns, and chart our feedback. However, you do so without experiencing any of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you SURE about this ?

Honestly, Jeremy isn't working on this game all by herself, you know. It's my understanding that she works with a whole BUNCH of people. Quite a few of which, after a hard day of WORKING on the game, actually go home and PLAY the game. For fun, for the same reason the rest of us do.

Now some of these people... well, we don't know their names,because sometimes success is measured by what DOesn't blow up. I think Draconi's in charge of blowing things up and he does a Demmed fine job too ! But some poor folks have less amusing jobs.

Are you saying that Siege is such an awful place to play that not ONE of the people who work with Jeremy plays there ?

Admittedly Siege let Magincia burn to the ground but.. really, it can't be THAT Bad !

Chitrani

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

I can't be the "voice" of any single playstyle, server, guild, or faction and still do my job. I have to represent the community as it is. As it is, Siege is small but vocal, and their concerns are valid but impact fewer people than more general gameplay concerns - and more general gameplay concerns impact Siege, too.

Judging from the overall tone of the Siege-related discussions over the past year, I think we did a reasonable job - we got the Arms Lore special case in, we got the blessed combat items out, nailing the #1 reported Siege issue for '07. We also got a lot of more general changes in, particularly in PvP, which solved a large percentage of the reported PvP concerns - brought up some new ones, too, but in nothing like the volume that, say, Nerve Strike did.

I think we're doing ok, and I'd like to think we'll continue to do ok. Once we get back into our publish rhythm, we'll just have to see if y'all agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

bing!

Save UO - Save the cheerleaders<font color=red> ... </font color=red>(AesSedai 10/31/07)

I

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree on that. It is exactly why I'm making the request that I'm making.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree on this too. Because Siege is small we have often been overlooked. Most of us don't post here often and when we do...well you know.

I suppose if you aren't willing to give Siege a try (I wish you would) then increased participation on the Siege board would be a plus as well. I know you post there occasionally now.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree that last year was a good one for Siege. I know that we would all like this year to be even better. Certainly, improved communication and understanding will help with that.