• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It's time!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Or more reasons why folk don't come back and stay... They get scammed every time you turn around.... and nothing is done about it... they get tricked into losing something precious and never want to return again...

They want to go where the people are but they just don't have the template or gear.... so they get frustrated and quit again.

They come here to Stratics and read 40 or 50 threads about how the DEVs aren't doing anything, or how we only have 5 DEVs now and they aren't fixing this, don't communicate with the players here and 100's of other things and they think NO WAY I'm coming back.

Yes we are partially to blame. Because we complain constantly about things. But since there isn't anywhere to "officially" complain and the track record of the DEVs for communication about things is poor to non-existent... people feel that the DEVs aren't listening... or don't care. We are told that we will be getting a "Monthly" newsletter... yet we got one and that was it. It's 3 days of complaints or more before there is any response at all. Shards go down randomly all the time and there is no response about it from the DEVs.

I could go on and on... since there are so many reasons why players get frustrated and leave.... but I will say that once someone does manage to Divorce UO... they NEVER come back. Sure folk get mad and quit all the time... or they have a family and RL issues that take all their time and they simply don't have time for UO anymore... or they get bored and go off to what they think are greener pastures but those folk often DO come back... but as more and more folk are Hacked/Scammed/Burned..... they Divorce UO... those people don't come back. So the next time you find out about some hacker/scammer or you think about doing something like that remember your only hurting the community. The worse you treat the other players... the less other players you're going to find.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still play because I enjoy the variety of play we have in UO, no matter what mood your in when you log in there is something entertaining to do.

I wear basic imbued armor here on Siege and have a bit fancier imbued armor back on Chessie. Who really needs the top end armor other than PvPers, and PKers with a pair big enough to take on a PvPer.

500 million is not required to play UO unless your fixated on the status of top end armor for the edge and bragging rights. I doubt I spent 10 million making the 14 sets of armor my characters have on Chessie and they can hunt most things. They just can't solo everything in the game.

New players just need to start the game and not do the mad drive for top end skills and gear. You work your way up through the levels most games have from level one and work on to the top ability you can reach, level by level. There's a lot to this game to do and plenty of time to learn much of what you need to know as you work towards GM. Play the game, don't just sit bored, pancakes moaning and whining about the grind of training skills to have max skills, there is no grind if you just kick back and play the game, and your skills will climb as you play.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes we are partially to blame. Because we complain constantly about things. But since there isn't anywhere to "officially" complain and the track record of the DEVs for communication about things is poor to non-existent... people feel that the DEVs aren't listening... or don't care. We are told that we will be getting a "Monthly" newsletter... yet we got one and that was it. It's 3 days of complaints or more before there is any response at all. Shards go down randomly all the time and there is no response about it from the DEVs.
The pancakes and whining and crap being slung on these forums have to driving returning & new players away, since obviously since there's only all the gigazillion bugs, Devs don't jump bow humbly and immediately do whatever players want them to do, and there's no fun talked about in the game, just endless pancakes.

Tell me, you ever think Mesanna and the Devs just get sick and tired of all the crap dumped on their work endlessly? Read these damn forums as if you were them with all the garbage slung at them and the game, would you stop in here and bother talking to us knowing the *bleep* that will get slung in your face the moment you don't jump upon command and make every change somebody wants cause it doesn't work how they want it to.

gods, my blood pressure must be in low Earth orbit right now.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We both know that's incorrect. Cmon! Years and years of horrible content, bugs and god knows what else. The people that are here are here for good no matter what. Be realistic! People can say they'll leave, but they won't ;)
With the "Years and years of horrible content, bugs and god knows what else.", why the *bleep* are you even playing this game, Cazador? Are you masochistic or just talking out the other end?

I think she's gone from stratics forever honestly. She had her little clic. They left..so did she. No more sucking on the Dark Lady's teet at every given second..
*chuckles* As deep as it's starting to get, yep, the other end.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the "Years and years of horrible content, bugs and god knows what else.", why the *bleep* are you even playing this game, Cazador? Are you masochistic or just talking out the other end?

*chuckles* As deep as it's starting to get, yep, the other end.
I play because pvp in the other MMO's sucks for the most part. Mostly playing other games, pvping here on and off. If we're going to start "labeling" I mean things could get real weird around here..I say it how I see it. You see it how your told to see it..there's a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The pancakes and whining and crap being slung on these forums have to driving returning & new players away, since obviously since there's only all the gigazillion bugs, Devs don't jump bow humbly and immediately do whatever players want them to do, and there's no fun talked about in the game, just endless pancakes.

Tell me, you ever think Mesanna and the Devs just get sick and tired of all the crap dumped on their work endlessly? Read these damn forums as if you were them with all the garbage slung at them and the game, would you stop in here and bother talking to us knowing the *bleep* that will get slung in your face the moment you don't jump upon command and make every change somebody wants cause it doesn't work how they want it to.

gods, my blood pressure must be in low Earth orbit right now.
Oh trust me I know full well how they feel... they have told me. But they also must understand how we feel as well.

I've played the game NON-STOP since I started in 99-2000 somewhere in there when I bought UO:R off the shelf... I fell in love with Sosaria and everything about UO. I made friends many of whom I still play with and still enjoy their company. I've lost countless friends due to many of the reasons I've stated before in this thread. I've lost countless more to RL issues including death, beginning of families, loss of jobs, etc... Lost even more to craptastic games with pretty graphics like WoW and LoTRO, etc... Sure some come back... but most who try to return just get frustrated and leave... which makes me frustrated.

I get tired of having to make workrounds to do things in-game that should just "work" since they obviously aren't. I get irritated when I see things like this:

Since I really love the game seeing stuff like that just drives me nuts and makes me irritated. To me that's just sloppy... But it's been like that since the EC was "released" and to me it's still in BETA. I shouldn't see stuff like that if IMO the DEVs really did care about the game and really did actually play the game... and if they took the time to look at it in the EC. So I pancake and complain about it. I've offered everything from giving co-ordinates to each of these spots all over the map... to begging to be able to "clean up Britannia" and have someone come remove all the crap that's scattered all over the world from statues, to paintings, to stew, or carpet and any number of other items that litter the lands. I've offered to make it my job to clean it up... I'd do it for minimal pay even... or no pay at all just free subscription fees for the month... or whatever... but that'll probably never happen.

I spent hours going over all the in-game craftables and such and detailing what needs to be fixed on them from how they sit in a tile to which ones need more facings. I did the same with many clothing items with clipping issues and everything else. I've even finally gotten a working "recording" program so I could record some issues with how clothes move ahead of your character and such when your riding so I could submit the issues... But it falls on deaf ears it would seem.

Maybe I'm being picky... but you know what? I don't see crap like that when I play other games. If I do right after a patch it gets FIXED. Why? Well if you ask me it's because to the makers of most games how the game looks is important... it's about taking pride in ones work. Can you really look at that and say with pride that you like how that looks??? I sure as hell couldn't.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
To be perfectly honest, I personally wouldn't have a problem with shard consolidation of some sort. I just recently came back after a rather lengthy hiatus. I had stopped paying for my account, and since anything of any value was in my house, it's all gone apart from the 3 million I had when I left and a few other items that I happened to have in my bank.

Having said that, I totally understand why others would have an issue with shard consolidation. Housing would certainly be at the top of the list, and even if an entire house could be transferred to another shard, it still wouldn't be the same.

I've thought about transferring over to another shard myself, but I can't justify spending the money to transfer all six of my characters. And then there would be my wife's to consider. It would get rather expensive. If transfers were to be opened up for free for a month, I'd probably do it.

In the end, I don't think forcing a consolidation would be good for the game... at all. There are too many people with ties to their shard. Too many houses to move. Too much stuff. It wouldn't work.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I really don't understand why people aren't just pushing more for a shard gate. Although I would love a consolidation, I understand why many people wouldn't. I realize this has been mentioned a few times throughout this forum, but the topic always seems to go back to shard consolidation. Maybe I'm missing some major logistical issue, but right now I really don't see one. A shard gate is the best of both worlds (pun in there?). It would not force people to relocate, and at the same time allow access to better economies and well... people. I've played UO a long long time, and I feel the reason this game was so great was because of the people. Lets face it. From a new or returning players perspective this game would look like the end is near (except of course those returning to Atl). Several shards including mine just seem deserted. With a shard gate, people who like seclusion may remain in seclusion. People who would want to be part of a broader community would have that access. I would be extremely disappointed if this simple concept continues to be rejected or ignored.

I don't mean to sound negative, and I'm no all knowing master wizard or whatever, but until recently I really question whether or not this game will continue to exist if something isn't done to bring some life into this game. It seems like this game is only still going is because of veteran player retention, but how long will that really last? Let's face it, people we'rent exactly lining up to place the latest expansion. It was exciting at first, but I don't really see many new players wandering around. I really feel a SHARD GATE is the solution. Please support this.

If this is asking too much, I'd settle for a shard gate between every shard, and a new shard. That way, people from any shard can meet up on common territory. Just a thought.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really don't understand why people aren't just pushing more for a shard gate. Although I would love a consolidation, I understand why many people wouldn't. I realize this has been mentioned a few times throughout this forum, but the topic always seems to go back to shard consolidation. Maybe I'm missing some major logistical issue, but right now I really don't see one. A shard gate is the best of both worlds (pun in there?). It would not force people to relocate, and at the same time allow access to better economies and well... people. I've played UO a long long time, and I feel the reason this game was so great was because of the people. Lets face it. From a new or returning players perspective this game would look like the end is near (except of course those returning to Atl). Several shards including mine just seem deserted. With a shard gate, people who like seclusion may remain in seclusion. People who would want to be part of a broader community would have that access. I would be extremely disappointed if this simple concept continues to be rejected or ignored.

I don't mean to sound negative, and I'm no all knowing master wizard or whatever, but until recently I really question whether or not this game will continue to exist if something isn't done to bring some life into this game. It seems like this game is only still going is because of veteran player retention, but how long will that really last? Let's face it, people we'rent exactly lining up to place the latest expansion. It was exciting at first, but I don't really see many new players wandering around. I really feel a SHARD GATE is the solution. Please support this.

If this is asking too much, I'd settle for a shard gate between every shard, and a new shard. That way, people from any shard can meet up on common territory. Just a thought.
upload_2015-12-10_22-37-6.png

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm aware of the single character transfer code that cost nearly double the monthly rate of the game. But if I had a choice, I would rather have the ability to regularly roam across shards for free. I think it would make the game more fun and appeal to those who want to be part of bigger communities, without having to pay the steep price of transferring regularly. I hope others would agree. What do I know though. I just want whats best for the game because I love UO, and its sad to see deserted shards... and $19.99 transfers.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm aware of the single character transfer code that cost nearly double the monthly rate of the game. But if I had a choice, I would rather have the ability to regularly roam across shards for free. I think it would make the game more fun and appeal to those who want to be part of bigger communities, without having to pay the steep price of transferring regularly. I hope others would agree. What do I know though. I just want whats best for the game because I love UO, and its sad to see deserted shards... and $19.99 transfers.
And don't forget these
168 – 179 Month Rewards
  • Shard Transfer Shields – allowing transfer to the shard represented by the shield selected. One token per month, account bound. The shields can be seen here (Note: This item does not function on Siege Perilous or Mugen shard. Shields are decorative use only)

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To my opinion it simply ain't possible or quite hard to do.....

There is players with large Houses, Castles, and they are filled of items.

If Merging Shards is no guarantee to them that they will get that same size House on the merged shard and that they might get a smaller House, what will they do of all of their many items in their current large House ?

A solution could be giving to all players a Bank storage that reflects the current size of their current House can store so that they can put all in the bank and then, even if they would get a smaller house on the merged shard, it would still be an inconveniency because for someone starting with a Castle and ending up with a two storey it would not be something to cheer about....... but at least, on top of that disappointment, they would not also have a storage problem.....

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I wear basic imbued armor here on Siege and have a bit fancier imbued armor back on Chessie. Who really needs the top end armor other than PvPers, and PKers with a pair big enough to take on a PvPer.
Now you start to speak as a true Siege player.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
A forced (or even semi-voluntary/extorted) shard merge really isn't the answer, for many of the reasons stated (community, etc.), plus a few more. Even if you could guarantee me the same size house(s), you couldn't guarantee me the location. And I usually place plots and customize them. I'm slow, so it takes me forever...and then I have to decorate them. If someone told me I had to go compete for replacement housing spaces and then redo all my work, I would almost definitely give it up and go back to some other game.

What I DO support, and think is even necessary at this stage, is easier regular inter-shard travel. Yes, the 14-year active vets have it -- which is great for them, but unfortunately it has screwed up the economy for everyone who doesn't. (and returning players with 3M in the bank from the old days, and no ystocked up resources? Fuhgeddabouddit.) We can't even get our stealables or loot drops on our own shard because shard hoppers camp & poach them to export to other shards.

That said, I do a lot of shard hopping now using newbie alts, for events and to hang out with people. That part is fun, but of course I can't do any adventuring, or bring back a present or a trade. I'm not advocating the removal of a perk given for 14 years of active account ownership, but there could be ways to offer a similar but limited version to newer or returning players (I have 18 year accts but my little vacation doesn't entitle me.)

Store tokens as they exist are not the answer. I am never going to pay $40 real life dollars for a round-trip ticket between shards...EVER. So if Broadsword really wants to make more money they need to rethink this (cough micro-transactions) and take them down to $1, with a return trip included. Then I'd be shelling out a lot of money on a regular basis, I expect. Or how about a premium account for an extra $5/mo? Yeah...I'd probably do that for shard-hopping privileges, if it included the ability to take items back and forth with me.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I have never seen so many selfish people since I was at Walmart on Black Friday.

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me.....

No,

me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me!

The game needs players and not enticing them by having an attractive active player base seems moronic, no? Wait, I forgot whom I am talking to here...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What I would like to see is a token, that will pack your house in a special moving box in your bankbox. The box can be stored in bank if you plan to take a break from UO or want to move to an other shard.
If you can find a plot of same size, you can unpack the box directe to your new dirt plot or Classic house of same kind and you will have your home back with alle secures and deco, placed like when you did pack the house.
If you can't find a plot or house at same size/type, you can keep the special moving crates in your bankbox a month, to give the player time to fine a house big enough for the contents in the moving crates. When you find the right plot, just choose unpack special moving crates from the house sign. If house is not same size/type, the contents will go to the moving crates in the new house and there is not enough free lockdowns in house, you will be given lockdowns = contents count in moving crates + 500 lockdowns so you can live in the house. Now we need to get lockdowns down to normal again, Maybe we need a way to buy lockdowns at EA store, so you for 3 month can have same count of lockdowns like in a castle, else you will only have locdowns that is normal for the house after a month.

This way, players do not need to pay 3-4 times a year to keep a house, when not playing and we could free house plot to playing players. It would also make it easier to move to an other shard. Find the perfect plot, pack your old house, unpack it to new plot.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If that's what a new player see using the EC client, no wonder they give up again, it looks like crap
That's just the tip of the iceberg. First off if you have an "animated" item and you use the circle of Transparency you can't SEE the item. Try placing something like a bubbling flask or something in the EC where you put it on a table right beside you and you have the Circle on. You have to run 8 or 9 tiles away at least before it will show up so you can lock it down. On Siege I placed one of those Fountains of Life ..... I haven't seen the thing since. I know it's there in the blank spot I can't walk through... but I can't actually SEE it unless I go to the blank spot and double click it to get bandages out. Then it shows up for awhile but the next time I log in again the spot is empty.

I can run or ride and half my clothes move 1/4 of an inch to an 1/8th of an inch in FRONT of my character... so often I see my bare legs from the back or my shirt sticking out from my robe in front of me. Looks horrible.

So I can't help but to shake my head and wonder what the heck will happen if UO EVER gets approved to go on steam.... What will they say when they see crap like that? Just makes me sad. I don't want people to see that sort of thing. So I have asked for it to be fixed... but yeah I rather doubt it will ever happen.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They just need to keep the CC listed right next to the EC where it's easy to find and hope some of the new players go for the 'classic'ish client for the original feel of this new game their checking out. The EC isn't up to snuff and there isn't the staff to finish it so it works well. Sad fact of life.

Ossy

Adventurer
At a minimum they should limit new character creation, for new accounts, to a small handful of shards. So new players can pick a high or medium population shard and there will be people to play with. Great way to turn off new players by having them pick a shard that has little to no one on it.

At least put the population levels on the shard list, so the player can pick.

A shard gate is another solution. The Transfer tokens are not a solution as only 14+ year players have access and shard-hopping can be a negative if only a handful can do it (and new players cannot).

If no shard gate, get rid of transfer tokens and do this: Eodan, Lost Lands, all dungeons (including Doom), Ilshen (anywhere where there are no houses) should be shared between multiple shards. Any new lands should be shared and there should be a shared town accessible by moongate where people can put up vendors to access items from all shards. So vets can have their community and lives/history on their home shard but still get the benefits of shard hopping. New players have up to 60 days (or placing a house) to pick a home shard. They start on shard of their choice and adventure there and the shared lands. The idea being they develop friends through adventuring and have the option to go whatever shard the vets they befriended or guilded with are on as their home without having to buy a 20 transfer code.

I'm sure there are coding issues, but it seems a good middle of the road solution to help out newbies and allow vets to stay where they are.

Maybe create a new land around the shared town that people can build houses on if they so choose.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It's not gonna happen. UO wouldn't survive the hit when that many players quit. Not to mention what a major project it would be for the devs. You might think of something simple like handing out transfer tokens but that wouldn't cut it. They would need to complicate the hell outta it. The current token system isn't 100%.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let's give ideas of things that would work.
I said it already a million times, but I'll gladly repeat it:

Instead of actually merge two or more shards, just open up free char transfer between those shards:
Free transfers between all US East shards.
Free transfers between all US West shards.
Free transfers between all European shards.
Free transfers between all Asian shards.

Transfers between shards from different regions would still need a token. I.e. Atlantic -> Europe or whatever...

No token or in-game item would be involved for the free transfer. Would work just like the TC char copy: Go to your Menu, select char transfer, select one of the eligible servers -> done.

I'm calling that a "soft-merge" ;)

And it will only tick off shard shield owners, who own only shields from one and the same region. (But even that could be overcome, since shields are account bound, maybe with devs directly exchanging them on request.)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I said it already a million times, but I'll gladly repeat it:

Instead of actually merge two or more shards, just open up free char transfer between those shards:
Free transfers between all US East shards.
Free transfers between all US West shards.
Free transfers between all European shards.
Free transfers between all Asian shards.

Transfers between shards from different regions would still need a token. I.e. Atlantic -> Europe or whatever...

No token or in-game item would be involved for the free transfer. Would work just like the TC char copy: Go to your Menu, select char transfer, select one of the eligible servers -> done.

I'm calling that a "soft-merge" ;)

And it will only tick off shard shield owners, who own only shields from one and the same region. (But even that could be overcome, since shields are account bound, maybe with devs directly exchanging them on request.)
I'd be happy with this as well!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree with mergers of ANY kind but it wont happen because of the guilds / groups that farm the quiet shards to take to the full shards for mega prophit and the eventers that want MORE shards NOT less.....go figure!!!.....they kick a fuss up evertime blaming housing and history...etc..... deffo agree though

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree with mergers of ANY kind but it wont happen because of the guilds / groups that farm the quiet shards to take to the full shards for mega prophit and the eventers that want MORE shards NOT less.....go figure!!!.....they kick a fuss up evertime blaming housing and history...etc..... deffo agree though
The realization is real! I'd say most nay-sayers are moving tons of stuff to ATL to sell. Why ruin that and have competition and ya know...play the game. Imagine that, you can't just solo spawns 23 1/2/7 and ship over boat loads of scrolls!

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I still fail to see how shard mergers would get more people to play.
I believe the premise is that by consolidating shards, new players will be forced to log in to fewer but more populated servers. By doing this, the new player will see that the game is, in fact, populated and might feel more comfortable, getting into the social aspect of the game, making friends and making it more difficult to leave.

This, however, doesn't solve the issue of getting people to even try the game to begin with. It also doesn't tackle the issue of returning players coming back and finding their shard gone.

There are other issues that would need to be considered, but those two are the biggest I can come up with for now.

EDITTED: For clarity of thought.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've always maintained that they could clover shards... Keep the housing parts but have area's like Ilshenar, Dungeons and such be shared between 3 or 4 shards. The only problem comes with the Abyss. Where 2 people on every shard actually have a house. But this could EASILY be remedied by either combining shards that don't have homes there with ones that do... or compensating the ones that do with giving them a choice to relocate and have one of the 2 plots in the north of Ter Mur City.... there are 2 plots inside the City wall up there. Not sure what they are for... or giving them a castle on Malas or something else special.

That way you have 3 or 4 shards that can "share" some of the server maps... where transferring then from one to another would just mean going through a gate or whatever to the other shard...

The other MAJOR problem with this is that folk like me have Characters on EVERY Shard. So what would happen to those? What would they do give us 21 characters? This would have to be solved before any thoughts of combining or anything would happen. If we had to delete a bunch of characters I'm pretty sure folk would not be happy.

Ossy

Adventurer
No matter what happens (losing house, shard history, characters) someone is not going to be happy. 18 years means that no matter what happens, someone will be getting screwed somehow.

There's no getting around that.

So the question becomes what is the best way to minimize that impact on the smallest amount of people and would the existing vets that get screwed be willing to suck it up if it meant more growth for UO in the long run?

Moongates between shards, with dungeons/new lands all shared, wouldn't really mean you would have to lose characters. You just have the ability to have all 21 (for example) characters on one shard at a time.

Just treat them as non-account if gate over, so all 21 wouldn't own a house on every shard for example.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess at that now we're just talking about free transfers. However I'd be willing to pay a $4.99 monthly fee for a Transfer Gate Ticket. That works like transfers. You can either use it as a hopping point or a move all your characters type thing.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Being able to moongate back and forth between shards might be ok. But I still think EA sells too many transfer tokens for that to happen. Give me a big Luna house and a Trinsic castle and I'll move, maybe. Why should I be expected to give up everything I've worked for? Not gonna happen. A shard like Atlantic would be my nightmare. If Legends gets anymore crowded I might have to move from there ;) I hate pointless debates, this isn't going to happen. Broadsword is hiring people, GMs and EMs are back. Things might not be as bad as you think. Some of us like living in the country, some in the city. You can't force all the country folk into the city and expect them to like it. I just moved pretty much about a year ago, to Legends. I could have just as easily went to Atlantic, if I was forced to play a shard like that I would have no desire to play UO anymore. UO use to be the only game in town really. Now there's 1000's. There will still be big games but there will never be another time like UO in 98. Just enjoy it while it lasts. The sun is fading on UO, nothing will stop that. The only question is how long they can drag it out.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Transfers and gates allowing people to relocate freely will not work unless they make valuables shard bound. It will only give the people farming dead servers more reason to do so because of the free xfer to and from...

Consolidation or merging Dungeons/T2A/Ish/Termur are really the only options we have. If you merge dungeons and new players log in and chose a WC server because that's were they ping the best to will still be extremely disappointed because they might see 1 or 2 people at luna mint...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Consolidation or merging Dungeons/T2A/Ish/Termur are really the only options we have. If you merge dungeons and new players log in and chose a WC server because that's were they ping the best to will still be extremely disappointed because they might see 1 or 2 people at luna mint...
And if you make WC players play on the EC you will disappoint your entire WC player base, but I guess that's ok with you.

Ossy

Adventurer
That's why I suggested giving new players a 60 day or so window to find a permanent home shard if go with the route of shared dungeons/etc. Also suggested a shared gathering spot/town so everyone can meet and new players can interact with vets from all over.

A new player creates a character, picks a shard (give the shards population call-outs) and starts messing around. They do some dungeons, visit different places and meet people. Now they can decide if the shard they are on is where they want to stay or join up with that guild that helped them out in Destard which happens to be on Great Lakes and not Catskills (where they created the new character), so they move to Great Lakes and call it "home".

Some mechanic/coding issues but would provide the most options.

Also maybe there are only specific shards that a new player can create on, some of the more med-to-high population servers and not any low, so then they can decide to follow that helpful guild to a low-pop server.

Maybe it needs to be longer then 60 days? Or some conditions (like GMing a skill) have to come into play?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What? When did I ever say that was ok? Maybe you need to gather information before making assumptions? I live in California...
Consolidation or merging Dungeons/T2A/Ish/Termur are really the only options we have. What the hell is this then

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Consolidation or merging Dungeons/T2A/Ish/Termur are really the only options we have. What the hell is this then
Hey there little guy. I'm not sure what level of education you received or maybe are still receiving, but with basic reading comprehension you should be able to understand it rather easily. If you need help just ask!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we can jump and shout and make a argument all we like.. it aint gonna happen.....like i said.....[end]

1. because of the guilds / groups that farm the quiet shards to take to the full shards for mega prophit
and
2. the eventers that want MORE shards NOT less.....go figure!!!....

THESE folks kick a fuss up evertime this subject is mentioned firmly pointing there finger at blaming housing and history...etc....

its a dead duck...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
we can jump and shout and make a argument all we like.. it aint gonna happen.....like i said.....[end]

1. because of the guilds / groups that farm the quiet shards to take to the full shards for mega prophit
and
2. the eventers that want MORE shards NOT less.....go figure!!!....

THESE folks kick a fuss up evertime this subject is mentioned firmly pointing there finger at blaming housing and history...etc....

its a dead duck...
Maybe your shard doesn't mean anything to you because maybe a lot of you jump all around... But I've been on GLs since the second day I started playing. (The first day I played on LS but found a few very rude people and decided to look elsewhere)... So I started on GLs found a few VERY nice people and decided to settle... Since then I have been a part of the history of my shard... I know so much that has happened to it. Been there when Yew was poisoned with the swamp... Helped to take down (The Doppleganger) Blackthron..... said good-bye to Lord British and watched him vanish through the gate. (still got the screenies)... Welcomed 100's of people to the shard... Ran events... attended events. I remember things from most every addition or expansion.... I know where all the "secret" stuff is... I know why some things are where they are in the land (Unique to GLs)... and it has meaning to me and many others that play on our shard.

I have no idea why some things are on some shards... I wasn't there. It has ZERO meaning to me. But I'm pretty sure that someone on those shards remembers and I'm sure it means something to them.

My characters some where "born" on GLs... Some came there for their own reasons... but they are as much a part of GLs as the Abbey is or the township of Newcastle is... along with it's banner... which on any other shard would honestly lose all meaning. What about those folk who proudly got their buildings recognized for being a landmark of the shard? Do you think those folk would want to move??? Do you think that means nothing to them? I am thinking it means something to them.

So you can talk about merging all you want but there are MANY of us who would be so lividly pissed we'd quit. I know most every Seer added item or area on GLs... and such... I don't know jack squat about any other shard or their history... and quite frankly I don't care about them... but I'm sure someone there does.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
That's why I suggested giving new players a 60 day or so window to find a permanent home shard if go with the route of shared dungeons/etc. Also suggested a shared gathering spot/town so everyone can meet and new players can interact with vets from all over.

A new player creates a character, picks a shard (give the shards population call-outs) and starts messing around. They do some dungeons, visit different places and meet people. Now they can decide if the shard they are on is where they want to stay or join up with that guild that helped them out in Destard which happens to be on Great Lakes and not Catskills (where they created the new character), so they move to Great Lakes and call it "home".

Some mechanic/coding issues but would provide the most options.

Also maybe there are only specific shards that a new player can create on, some of the more med-to-high population servers and not any low, so then they can decide to follow that helpful guild to a low-pop server.

Maybe it needs to be longer then 60 days? Or some conditions (like GMing a skill) have to come into play?
This is great in theory, but UO isn't attracting that many new subs each year. I would bet most are returning players or players whom lost their account info. Regardless both have some knowledge of the game and it's servers. Now, to a brand new player, that let's say is of average familiarity to games similar to UO would know to choose a shard with the best ping. Depending on the time of day and their internet connection etc...their best choice might be Origin. Well, as much as the locals will hate to admit, that shard is on life support. This would make the new players first experience not fair to well. If you pigeon holed these players into two servers, one EC and one WC that would give them the best scenario and getting up to speed with the game. Pacfic on the west and Atl on the east. If the devs developed some sort of reward program for others moving to these two servers as well it would help funnel players which would allow for them to slowly start removing servers or consolidating.

An expansion purely designed behind housing that was only accessible on Atl and Pac and given priority to those giving up their beloved plots to relocate would be a start. There could be a raffle, there could be a gold sink that would help remove gold from the game entirely, there could be a free for all, it could be weighted on how many linked accounts with housing players have or some other idea that could be voted on in game based on account age.

I don't have the perfect answer to solving this, but I am sure that through some sort of voting/democracy it could be accomplished reducing the fallout to a sustainable level.

I would gladly give up my ATL castle, luna plot, Fel Trinsic Tower and Fel New Mag 18x18 to move back to a WC server that had a population/market/economy identical to Atl's. Even if it required me having to fight for placement.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey there little guy. I'm not sure what level of education you received or maybe are still receiving, but with basic reading comprehension you should be able to understand it rather easily. If you need help just ask!
OMG I had to laugh so hard at this. What level of writing skill did you ever learn, I am guessing it is about 3rd grade because of the state you are in. Here let me explain something to you.
The only way to fix UO is to consolidate all the dungeons and the only way to make sure that new players are not disappointed is to have them log into a highly populated shared. Where are the most highly populated shards (EC) and where are these newly consolidated dungeons going be (EC) or maybe you really need to learn to write better.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
OMG I had to laugh so hard at this. What level of writing skill did you ever learn, I am guessing it is about 3rd grade because of the state you are in. Here let me explain something to you.
The only way to fix UO is to consolidate all the dungeons and the only way to make sure that new players are not disappointed is to have them log into a highly populated shared. Where are the most highly populated shards (EC) and where are these newly consolidated shards gonna be (EC) or may you really need to learn to write better.
Um, you're still assuming that everything should be consolidated to just the East. Regardless, I really do not enjoy engaging in any conversations with you because of your pure enjoyment to argue for the sake of arguing. Thanks to Kelmo telling me I should moderate whom I speak with I'll do the same with you. Welcome to my ignore list :thumbup:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Um, you're still assuming that everything should be consolidated to just the East. Regardless, I really do not enjoy engaging in any conversations with you because of your pure enjoyment to argue for the sake of arguing. Thanks to Kelmo telling me I should moderate whom I speak with I'll do the same with you. Welcome to my ignore list :thumbup:
LOL Guess when some one proves you wrong you just put them on an ignore list, especially when they directly quote you.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I started on Legends back in 2011 and only stayed because of the small population. I am really far away from the servers and thus I have a very high ping to them. A lower population shard definitely help mitigate the problems I have with such high ping. Whenever I am shopping on ATL, it is a pain to move around.
I would go if there was a merge and I were left without a quiet, low population to play on because lagging due to a lot of people being around just isn't fun at all.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being able to moongate back and forth between shards might be ok. But I still think EA sells too many transfer tokens for that to happen. Give me a big Luna house and a Trinsic castle and I'll move, maybe. Why should I be expected to give up everything I've worked for? Not gonna happen. A shard like Atlantic would be my nightmare. If Legends gets anymore crowded I might have to move from there ;) I hate pointless debates, this isn't going to happen. Broadsword is hiring people, GMs and EMs are back. Things might not be as bad as you think. Some of us like living in the country, some in the city. You can't force all the country folk into the city and expect them to like it. I just moved pretty much about a year ago, to Legends. I could have just as easily went to Atlantic, if I was forced to play a shard like that I would have no desire to play UO anymore. UO use to be the only game in town really. Now there's 1000's. There will still be big games but there will never be another time like UO in 98. Just enjoy it while it lasts. The sun is fading on UO, nothing will stop that. The only question is how long they can drag it out.
No honestly it probably won't happen. But is that not what a discussion platform like this is meant for? General topics regarding the game. It wasn't intended for a omg let's make it happen tmrw. More of as a discussion on people thoughts or ideas. This topic reallllly needs to be addressed and ironed out to a certain extent. You may dislike the idea of a populated game..which to many is confusing but I'm sure once steam goes live we need a way of directing the other 90% of the world to a populated shard. I can't tell you how many games I've played started my character, leveled up a bit only to find out I was on a dead server, and say screw it I'm not doing it again. Or at that paying a game I've never even played to move to a more populated server with my level 30 junk Mage. I mean there literally are shards with Luna spots available..that's how dead they are. Log into shards take 20-30 minutes and see how desolate they are.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I started on Legends back in 2011 and only stayed because of the small population. I am really far away from the servers and thus I have a very high ping to them. A lower population shard definitely help mitigate the problems I have with such high ping. Whenever I am shopping on ATL, it is a pain to move around.
I would go if there was a merge and I were left without a quiet, low population to play on because lagging due to a lot of people being around just isn't fun at all.
No offense, but who's issue is it that you live in an area that is either A) too far away from the hosting server or B) not up to standard infrastructure? I want you to enjoy the game as best you can, but just like anything else in the REAL world sacrifices need to be made for the greater good.