• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It's time!

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's time as a community we need to step up and hammer out plans to merge shards. Are you really so blind to see how the game is dying? There are less and less people literally every single day. There are literally no new players coming in.

Housing seems to be the really key issue. So let's give ideas of things that would work. It's stupid we are as a community just letting the game die due to some infatuation with a pixel house. My idea would be to cut the fat and just merge everyone into 4 separate shares fresh. US East,US West,Europe,Asia.

Every character is given a free Transfer token to move to whichever you'd like. Character slots are bumped to 10 and housing is completely empty. A new land is created specifically for housing to handle the influx of people. Each account can have 1 house per shard so a total of 4 houses per account. New players don't play cause hell there is no one to play with, amongst other issue but that's the biggest one. We know people enjoy farming dead shards for items/gear afk but let's as a whole take the game back and keep it around for a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1st of all: I agree

2nd : :bdh:

The ONLY way this could work would be to market it as a "new" game, IE UO Reborn or some such. It would also require new code from the ground up and HD resolution. There would have to be static gates from the old lands to the new housing area for at least 6 months as it takes time to move the contents of entire castles. I would also say the tram/fel split would have to be eliminated for a type of pvp toggle.

In other words .... aint never happenin

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Threads like this should be removed since this will never happen.Thanks to Mesanna, and the Devs this will never happen.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Not that easy, some people do have houses, you just can't place in a moving crates, there need to be a way to move the whole house with context.
Also who should be allowed to move first to get the good spots? you can't let a castle owner end up with a small house, that would not be fair.

An other thing, if we are going to move all to new shards, why not get rid of the split in Trammel and Fel ruleset on the shards, do it right, make 2 Fel (US East and Asia) ruleset shards and 4 Tram ruleset shards US East, US West, Europa and Asia)
The Tram shards would have Tram rules on all facets. The Fel shards would have Fel ruleset on all facets and VvV would be active on all facets but without the special Siege rules.
I only think players should be able to have 2 housen on an account, still only one house on a shard.

I'm not sure about new house land, it have to be done better than Males, more minded for player towns. Around a player town should be some gathering and some small spawns and maybe a few npc vendors, an inn, a stable and a moongate near.

What about paid accounts with house but where the player do not play? If they still are hanging on old shards, should they then be packed and moved to a backup server until the player wake up?

It's not easy and no matter how it is done, some will get hurt.
When done, remove shard transfer as it is now.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fear it can't be done; people - are- attached to their homes and communities. Rather than hard merges, it'd be nice to make it free and easy for people to move as they please. Heck, make moongates that take you to different servers. This would even be in-line with age-old l mid 90's original vision of UO and way it handles shards. It'd be like a soft merge. Do your housing on Drach, Luna shopping on ATL and PvP on Europa.

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Won't happen. I think many players would quit if it did.
Doesn't matter..the current players we have are already quitting daily. We're talking 18 year players are dropping 10-15 accounts and friends are either keeping them in maintenance or the stuff is dropping. It's really sad.

All the housing and nostalgia won't mean **** once you're forced to find a new game or free share.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Threads like this should be removed since this will never happen.Thanks to Mesanna, and the Devs this will never happen.
No thanks to Mesanna and the devs the player base is shrinking exponentially

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As someone with multiple characters and accounts I'll say this... HELL NO.

I am not packing up my player run town to move it to some crappy ass shard with no history or some shard who's history I don't know and don't care about. When GLs dies I'm gone. I won't move. Without a way to guarantee that I can have my town back exactly as it is... hell NO.

I give a rats ass about playing with more people and more people for you to kill in Fel... Just don't care. I don't care to go back to having to pay WAY too much to have a teeny tiny tower... etc. And I don't want to have to live in BFE. I like where I am. I like my shard and I really like most the people that play there. If I wanted to live where it was crowded as hell and I couldn't find a place to drop a house for a year then I'd be playing on Atl or some free shard that's uber popular. But I don't want that.

Now... If they wanted to say take 4 shards and make them interconnected via some land or portal and we'd all be free to move between the 4 shards but they would share "dungeons" on the servers... As well as Eodon would be the same for all 4 "Pod" seververs as well as Ilshenar that would be just dandy. We could all have the same dungeons and that wouldn't take too much coding I shouldn't think. Since technically you have to port to those places anyway when you go into the cave. I'm fine with that.

But to make me move. You best have brand new servers with some true 3d or at least all new art that is "modern" and everything else to go with it...

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder how super shhhhweeet those player ran towns are when there's nowhere to play. Or worse Messana has to link up server to her home DSL service cause she refuses to change or make any worthwhile changes for the future of the game with new players rather than the handful of stubborn people we have left. I mean it can't get any worse the shoddy development and archaic servers.. As for pvp it doesn't matter I already have pvp characters on every shard. That's not an issue.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna has said several times that will never happen.
She also said new hi res art was in the works..how'd that go? Oh it got tabled because it's too hard..I think everyone forgets how many things are supposed to never happen or are happening and do or don't..just saying. Money talks ******** walks. I do however enjoy the oh I'll close all 200 of my accounts. Yet those same people would be lined up for the housing boom. It's just fkin silly.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
She also said new hi res art was in the works..how'd that go? Oh it got tabled because it's too hard..I think everyone forgets how many things are supposed to never happen or are happening and do or don't..just saying. Money talks ******** walks. I do however enjoy the oh I'll close all 200 of my accounts. Yet those same people would be lined up for the housing boom. It's just fkin silly.

Still ain't gonna happen.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I wonder how super shhhhweeet those player ran towns are when there's nowhere to play. Or worse Messana has to link up server to her home DSL service cause she refuses to change or make any worthwhile changes for the future of the game with new players rather than the handful of stubborn people we have left. I mean it can't get any worse the shoddy development and archaic servers.. As for pvp it doesn't matter I already have pvp characters on every shard. That's not an issue.

You want people? Go to Atlantic. I'm on Legends. I moved there from GLs as I found it a little crowded. We have the best EM out there. We have enough people for a viable shard. We can get the things we need working together. People don't swear and talk like 10 year old's in chat (Being a little rough on the ten year old's). We got room to build. A real nice shard where someone isn't in your face everywhere ya go and there's people available when ya wanna do something. We're fine, we don't need saving. TYVM ALL games end sooner or later. When the time eventually comes just suck it up and move on.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't matter..the current players we have are already quitting daily. We're talking 18 year players are dropping 10-15 accounts and friends are either keeping them in maintenance or the stuff is dropping. It's really sad.

All the housing and nostalgia won't mean **** once you're forced to find a new game or free share.

See, you seem to think that shard merging is going to solve the problem of the game dying when in fact it would kill the game FASTER than just letting it run its natural course. Everyone would quit if they merged shards.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It wasn't tabled because it was too hard. It was tabled because it would take too much time and money. I also don't see how a poor record for following through (real or perceived) would be an argument that they WOULD undergo something as massive as a shard merge. In my eyes it would be a good indicator that it's not going to happen even if they wanted to do it. It would be a big project.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
There's plenty of games I can play for free with 20 year old graphics and just kill monsters. Graphics doesn't even matter to me - I love NetHack. :D Many recent graphics have been quite poor, and don't fit the game, imho. I'm rather glad the graphics "upgrade" project died, as I fear what would have been done. :p

I'm already downsizing my number of accounts. What keeps me at all anymore is community, such as remains. Merge shards, break communities, and I guarantee folks will leave.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Won't happen. I think many players would quit if it did.
Guarantee you I would and would take my 10 accounts with me, not much I know but I'm not the only one and I'm sure there are a lot that would quit rather than leave their home shard. As said above, Mesanna and the devs have already spoke to this many times, ain't gonna happen, drop it!!
Bad idea, bad bad bad.
:bdh:

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want people? Go to Atlantic. I'm on Legends. I moved there from GLs as I found it a little crowded. We have the best EM out there. We have enough people for a viable shard. We can get the things we need working together. People don't swear and talk like 10 year old's in chat (Being a little rough on the ten year old's). We got room to build. A real nice shard where someone isn't in your face everywhere ya go and there's people available when ya wanna do something. We're fine, we don't need saving. TYVM ALL games end sooner or later. When the time eventually comes just suck it up and move on.
I liked your post but it's better than a like, you said it well, Capt.! Agree absolutely and totally.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they could possibly leave it up to the players if they just added 1 more shard.
Make it so all housing on said shard has the same storage as castles do now (the only reason most have a castle is because of storage),
give each char that wants to transfer a free transfer token to that shard, ONE WAY!.
No more transferring between shards afterwards, your in your new home with everyone else and that's that.

Then once the remaining shards drop to like 50 people give that shard a 30 day warning that its time to move or you'll be evicted.
Oh and new chars can only be made on the new shard.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's time as a community we need to step up and hammer out plans to merge shards. Are you really so blind to see how the game is dying? There are less and less people literally every single day. There are literally no new players coming in.

Housing seems to be the really key issue. So let's give ideas of things that would work. It's stupid we are as a community just letting the game die due to some infatuation with a pixel house. My idea would be to cut the fat and just merge everyone into 4 separate shares fresh. US East,US West,Europe,Asia.

Every character is given a free Transfer token to move to whichever you'd like. Character slots are bumped to 10 and housing is completely empty. A new land is created specifically for housing to handle the influx of people. Each account can have 1 house per shard so a total of 4 houses per account. New players don't play cause hell there is no one to play with, amongst other issue but that's the biggest one. We know people enjoy farming dead shards for items/gear afk but let's as a whole take the game back and keep it around for a lot longer.

I like the thought of increasing character slots and giving transfer tokens.

Though there is currently large plots of land available on all shards but Atlantic for housing.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't get the argument for forcing players to all move in together.

1) It assumes we all want to go back to crowded shards.
2) Those players who like crowds already have an option - move to Atlantic. I'm guessing that was the main motive behind the introduction of shard shields and transfer tokens, i.e. so that players could choose to flock together. Nominate an existing shard and choose to make that the next most populous shard. Then those who need crowds can move there and start over - don't drag the rest of us kicking and screaming.
3) I don't have the stats, but I'm thinking that all the houses standing on empty shards are generating a significant amount of revenue for UO because someone is paying to keep them up even if they're not playing very much. Get rid of all those houses and the money behind them is going to vanish along with the game. People who are barely playing now aren't going to start fresh.
4) The only reason I'm still paying is because of my existing houses - I'm not starting over on a new shard.
5) The game is dying - people are moving on so just accept it. Nothing short of a complete reboot is going to bring UO back to it's glory days. Wiping all the shards and announcing a "fresh start" will just speed up the count down clock. A lot of us are still here because of our history with the game. Tell us to start over and we will...with a different game.
6) I talk to some of the old players who left UO. Though they talk with fondness of the old days, they have no desire to come back and it has little to do with the graphics or population base - they've simply outgrown the game.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The OP is fixated on what will make them happy and screw anyone else's joy playing the game. We're playing on the shard where we are because we enjoy what it's like, if we didn't we'd have moved by now.

You enjoy crowds? Move to Atlantic or a free shard, the rest of us are where we enjoy playing. Ruin that for us and we're gone and UO loses a fair chunk of it's bottom line.

Ossy

Adventurer
I made a character on Atlantic the other night. Holy crap, what a mistake. General chat was a nightmare.

I brought this up in another thread not that long ago and got the same response: house and history.

Which makes sense, that is what UO is.

Going forward, all new lands should be shared between all the shards, or a handful at least. There's no reason to have an Eodan for every shard.

I don't think there should be shard transfer tokens, so can move from shard to shard. But if going to have that in the game, then just go all the way and have moongates that connect the shards so you can have a house on Great Lakes and shop on Atlantic or something.

UO can't compress shards. Just no way to do it and keep the existing user base happy and if you lose the existing user base, you lose the game.

There is a lot that they can do to make the game better for new people (some of which would piss off the old folks) but they seem happy to have it where it is.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I currently only have 2 accounts open and am logging in about once every 10 days to refresh some boats. I haven't even decided yet whether I will open any other accounts this month to collect the holiday gifts. I have a lot of family stuff going on that has severely impacted the amount of time I have to play anymore. However, when I do have an hour or so free to play, I find myself completely uninterested in logging in. I've tried to force myself to do it and go do a little hunting or packing up some stuff to throw it into the bank so I can drop some houses, and I can't even do that. My interest in UO is almost completely gone. Every simple thing that I used to enjoy doing seems utterly pointless anymore. UO is a difficult game to just log on and play for a few minutes and then leave for a a few days or weeks and come back later. Having houses and things to decorate with was "cool" for a long time but anymore it just feels like a burden when I think about the amount of time required to just pack up the important stuff to save it so I can take a break and maybe come back later. It's just too much work, instead of being fun, when what I really want is just an easy way to get a diversion for a short amount of time.

I wonder just how many other people still paying for UO are like me, still paying just enough to keep from losing things in UO but with no real desire to play anymore because it just really isn't much fun anymore. I already have enough RL stuff to worry about taking care of. If Broadsword could figure out some way to make UO a game that is much less item-dependent and easier to drop into and out of it and play casually for short periods, then maybe more people would be interested in it. As it is now, I think it's just too complicated and item-heavy for even old veteran players to really enjoy it as much as they used to. Too often it just feels like more "obligation," "responsibility," "money," "tedium," and "work" instead of just being FUN. Edited to add: Maybe a lot of people just don't log on anymore because they are unconvinced they are going to stick around much longer and dread the idea of getting more semi-useless stuff to have to sort through and make decisions about keeping or not keeping not so far into the future. There just isn't enough stuff to do in UO that isn't item-centric and/or is more than just a fancy-looking chat room.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It should be started one shard at a time, starting with the smallest ones (Mugen?). Transfers should only be allowed to the top 8 to 10 biggest.

However, this is just a pipe dream. I have no idea how'd they move housing spots. People on the smaller shards won't want to give up their Castles or spots in Luna. In my opinion, that's the biggest issue that would need to be resolved. Anyone talking about "shard history" needs to realize that there is no shard history anymore if 98% of the population has died out.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The OP is fixated on what will make them happy and screw anyone else's joy playing the game. We're playing on the shard where we are because we enjoy what it's like, if we didn't we'd have moved by now.

You enjoy crowds? Move to Atlantic or a free shard, the rest of us are where we enjoy playing. Ruin that for us and we're gone and UO loses a fair chunk of it's bottom line.
I'm not fixated on keeping myself happy tbh. I already have characters on literally every single shard that has players on it. The sense behind merging would be beneficial to everyone. Yes you might have 10 people who enjoy playing completely alone for a few hours a week. I'm talking about gaining customers in the long run if Steam ever breaks ground. I'm not suggesting deleting every shard, or even just saying ok well Atlantic is popular let's just move everyone there. There are literally 10-15 shards wasting server space with less than a handful of players playing them. Atlantic alone could probably keep the doors open. The word merger makes all the old "vets" turn up the flame throwers, it's ok though because these will be the same people who's thoughts will be. "Well the devs squandered it in the end" no matter when it eventually does happen. We have EM's running events on shards where it's maybe 5-10 people from that actual shard. The rest are x-sharders. It's just a complete waste of resources. The content/event arcs, farmers have people to sell to would increase exponentially. As to hit the comment of me just trying to make myself happy, I think it's quite the opposite, I'm more interested in the game gaining players. Where everyone commenting negatively without thinking logically or without emotion is more worried about losing pixels and not caring about the repercussions in the end. I guess what I'm saying is even if the game were completely FTP people would log in to 85% of shards and say oh ok the game is dead.."insert new Japanese rpg game for year" has hundreds of thousands of players and 5 shards, I'll play there. Where as UO has what maybe 10's of thousands "maybe thousands" of unique accounts with what 25+ shards? Take it as some super secret hidden agenda all you'd like..it's just the reality of the matter. How do you save a game that is dwindling more and more every year. If I had the time or energy I would conduct this myself, but I'm sure someone on here has the time and patience and maybe could do this for me. The newest expansion just hit not too long ago. Log on to every single shard at their prime time and tell me how many players you see at "tram turtle spawn" "shadow guard" "Fel turtle spawn"..and I'll guarantee its less than 100. And that's spread amongst the ENTIRE game. Not one shard maybe excluding Atlantic or Yomato will have more than 20.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bet if I took the time and energy I could find posts from every single person here saying. Fix spell weaving on my dead shard I can't find people, or fix justice there's no reds, or there's no role players here, or something in general of a complaint to fix this that or the other thing because there's no players. Yet most here are so against shard mergers they will hide in the little move to Atlantic shell they love to hide in when "shard mergers" is the topic. However if the topic was, make this less hard because I don't have people to do it with 80% call it development "flaw" due to the low player base.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your post is just a few months away from the "sky is falling" post and or I am quitting post.....its not the game, it hasn't changed as much as you have.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your post is just a few months away from the "sky is falling" post and or I am quitting post.....its not the game, it hasn't changed as much as you have.
For me the sky wouldn't be falling. It would be an I told you so..so honestly it doesn't matter. Explain the the game hasn't changed portion..I don't know weather you're trolling, or are just amusing me.

And no I wouldn't even post if I quit..if I quit it would involve walking around Luna dropping my items and deleting my characters..what these people do here isn't quitting. It's please say bye to me, so I can come back in 3 months cause I miss it.

Ossy

Adventurer
The game has changed and it is hard for an old player to jump into and get back up to speed.

Way too item dependent now. Which gets away from part of UO's charm IMO.

I do think that sooner, rather then later, shard contraction will have to happen. It's inevitable. At some point the amount of people playing won't justify the cost of keeping that shard active.

So this really isn't a dead horse topic, because eventually it will probably be a valid question. How would UO handle shard contraction with housing, player towns, unique items/structures in each shard?

Ossy

Adventurer
Also, I could never justify paying for anything in a game that I'm not actively playing.

Hell, I'm having a hard time justifying the 12.99 a month to myself for a game that I'll only log onto a couple times a week for an hour or two at a time.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And no I wouldn't even post if I quit..if I quit it would involve walking around Luna dropping my items and deleting my characters..what these people do here isn't quitting. It's please say bye to me, so I can come back in 3 months cause I miss it.
I was headed out the door when I stopped by Siege while my gametime finished running out, as a 'what the hell' month or so spent in a fel type shard assuming there'd be ashats galore. Siege, with it's small population turned out to have the magic prodo no longer had due to it's near absolutely no risk play, it's a world with really only one flaw, I can't get my 12 years of deco moved to it from Chessie.

Siege is why I'm still playing three years later and my Chessie setup see's me occasionally to pick up holiday items. I've no interest in a mob scene many so want shard mergers to force everyone together into. I'm a happy camper on Siege, Chessie is a fizzle, and if I lose Siege the door won't hit me on the rump on my way out. There's nothing in prodo to pull me back and a lot of other games to try out these days.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm with Ossy on this one. The start up costs and understanding of this game are so complicated and the play guides virtuously useless unless you want to spend the next 6 months trying to absorb everything that i dont see anyway that this is attractive to fresh players. I think FTP should be introduced upto GM level just so people can come in and check it out with out making a financial commitment but the dev's seemingly want no part of this.

As far as merging the shards, ain't going to happen army. EA is making a lot of bank off this and the loss of passive income stream would probably sound the death knell.

One other point is you'd need to run this by the Japan player base as well. They probably bring more revenue into the game than any of us do.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, and your way will make almost every UO player rush out the UO door never to be seen again. That sure will help save UO.
We both know that's incorrect. Cmon! Years and years of horrible content, bugs and god knows what else. The people that are here are here for good no matter what. Be realistic! People can say they'll leave, but they won't ;)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Mesanna wont respond to the Siege thread on transferring off, or to PMs. She won't respond to this one either.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna wont respond to the Siege thread on transferring off, or to PMs. She won't respond to this one either.
I think she's gone from stratics forever honestly. She had her little clic. They left..so did she. No more sucking on the Dark Lady's teet at every given second..

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If players logon and find the shard dead, they may very well just logout again. My best time was, when I would see a lot other players, hanging out at the towns, the player towns, the gathering areals and forest and the dungeons.
Other players was what made me love the game, even when some of them had me as target. We sometimes see waves, where more players get on and that will make many of the ones who only play a little stay longer in the game a day.
Merge the shards are not easy, but I do believe it is a must if this game shall survive

Last edited:

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cazador,
I was not trying to insult or troll you, you all of people should realize that a game this old is held together by die hard fans. Take away those very few things keeping those fans here just hurts the game even more.

No I am not suggesting the game has not changed, only that individuals Idea's of Ultima and how it should be has changed more than the game has.

No, I am not speaking for everyone but I can say with a ton of confidence that Most would leave if the shards were consolidated and housing lost (oh yes they will). This game will never have the numbers it used to have and forcing others would do nothing good. The Idea I am sure is being made with "good intention" but never could be implemented without horrid repercussion.

This game has from the very beginning had bugs and login issues/dupes exploits/ nerfs and reverts......why do you still play? I play still because I still feel I own part of the game even though the reality is just the opposite. There are all kinds of suggestions, that we have all heard from multiple discussions on this topic over the years on these very same boards over and over and over and it really just comes down to beating the dead horse.

No Consolidating Shards!

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I could name dozens of reasons why people log back in to "check it out" and leave.

Often they DO find folk and DO find friends still playing..... BUT and it's a big one...

They find that most of the "bugs" are still here or so they claim yet when asked many folk could not name more than 1 or maybe 2 bugs and they aren't that bad...
They find that the game has become all about pixels and stuff and they find that you need to have nearly 500M in the bank just to get restarted... when they look at the 50M they quit with they feel they will NEVER make it in this game as when they look at things priced on vendors it's insane... that is "if" they can find an actual vendor on their shard actually selling stuff. Since it seems every schmo in the game is running to every other shard buying up everything decently priced and transferring it to Atl to put it on a Vendor at some monstrous price that no one will buy but it bloats out their vendor so it looks good... Or no one can find stuff anywhere else so they are FORCED to overpay on Atl..... but new and returning players can't get to Atl to buy the stuff without spending RL money in transfer tokens.. so they get angry and quit...

They find that the building of a suit is now so overly complicated that you need a degree in advanced mathmatics to build one... and you need to tweak your character in insane ways to put together a template that works ... they can't just unmothball their old PvP character and get back into playing because now everyone will cream them in .2 seconds with all the new uber gear and weapons.... and they can't hit the broadside of an Ogre anymore... let alone another player.

They check in to find that people are still using hacks and cheats and nothing is being done about it...

They check in to find "Spambot" popping into Haven every 5 min to sell gold and items and wonder WTH???

They check in and find that their favorite towns and dungeons have been destroyed... They feel sad and leave.

New players log in find a problem page for help and never get any response at all... save the you sent a page message.... they wait hours and hours on end trying to get help and asking in the only channel they can the "spambots R us Help" channel... and no one ever answers because most paid players won't go into that channel... so in frustration they quit.