• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is this worth doing:

M

Malkes

Alright, my account has been active for three years, at various points, since 2002. My main character has always been my tamer. Unfortunately, I find myself getting sick of trying to raise my taming any more (it is currently at 93.8, with a cap of 110). That's right, 93.8 after 3 or more years... and that is with me TRYING to gain in taming regularly.

Anyway, my idea was, in order to better get my taming up to where I want it, without having to wear jewelry: would it be prudent to buy a few soulstone fragments, put my taming on one, create a new character (with the same name, of course) and transfer that taming to him. I would then, before getting ANY other skills, max out my taming. I would think that it would be MUCH faster than attempting it with my current GGS output of .1 every 22 to 36 hours (depending on my skill at the time), since it would put my GGS counters at .1 every 4 to 7 hours. I would then soulstone my other skills the new character, after reaching a real skill of 110 in taming.

So, would it be prudent to do so, given that I have TERRIBLE luck with gaining in taming. I mean, I'll tame ridgebacks/bulls/ki-rin/etc for 3 hours at a time, and literally get ONE gain. If it were just an issue of being patient, I wouldn't be so bothered by it, but it's not like I haven't put in my time over three years trying to get my skill up, hehe.

Honestly, I'm just tired of being a person that is ok with using jewelry to control the high end pets that I like. I would much rather have the real skill to do so.

U

uoBuoY

I have done this myself.

I recently wanted a Tamer/Bard so I trained that temp on two separate chars.
The gains "seemed, felt" faster but you have to train in safe areas because you have no defense or healing (other than pots) but it can be done.
What I did, for example: tame a horse (so you can run away from trouble!), then tame and keep 3 Gaman and use them to kill you subsequent tames so the spawn refreshes. Kill the 3 Gaman at the end of each training session.

Even with this I still gave up training taming at about 105. Just too mind-numbing and discouraging. If you stay with taming only you can still get 0.2 GGS per day to 120.

Built my first tamer back in the days of Power Hour. Boy do I miss PH when it comes to training taming, disco, provo, etc.

M

Malkes

I think that after putting in 3ish years towards the character, I'll have the patience to finish off my taming at the faster rate, hehe.

S

Saris

I feel ya I sold one of my accounts with my tamer on it, so I recreated my tamer last year, im at 97 now lol, kinda with they would screw ggs and bring power hour back, as long as they left the anti macro code out, arms lore with 1000 daggers was a bit much. Oh and lockpicking back in the day, blahhhhh

M

Malkes

I just had one of those "duh" moments.

I realized that the smarter thing to do is to make the new character, switch my taming over to him then get the taming to 110 on him, then switch it back to my first character.

*Slaps forehead*

Will also be cheaper, as I'll only need to buy one powerscroll (the taming) instead of a scroll for all of my skills (all of the other ones have been at GM or higher for years).

M

Malkes

It's already paying off. I've managed to get 6 or so gains in one to two hours after switching my taming over to a new character.

Loving it.

U

uoBuoY

It's already paying off. I've managed to get 6 or so gains in one to two hours after switching my taming over to a new character.

Loving it.
That's great!

Just be prepared for the grind to set back in after 100-105.

M

Malkes

I'm actually put myself into a mind set of "it'll be worse than before" for that point, so that way, when it isn't, it'll be a pleasant surprise, hehehe.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something I read about doing recently (and did myself to get my LP up to GM for the second time) would be to buy a scroll of transcendence for animal taming that gives .2-.5 in gains each time you gain. Wait till you know you are going to get your GGS then eat the scroll next to the animals you are going to tame and tame like crazy! As soon as you get your gain, recall home and log out. Don't aggro anything, just log as fast as possible. Time yourself for the next GGS gain, add a few minutes or an hour, then log in and go tame till you get your gain, then go home and log out. You can probably do this about 10 times before the scroll wears off (maybe more! mmm), so you'll end up with 2 to 5 points of taming from it, and having hardly spent any time at taming.

Downside is of course, those scrolls are fabulously expensive. :p

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Something I read about doing recently (and did myself to get my LP up to GM for the second time) would be to buy a scroll of transcendence for animal taming that gives .2-.5 in gains each time you gain. Wait till you know you are going to get your GGS then eat the scroll next to the animals you are going to tame and tame like crazy! As soon as you get your gain, recall home and log out. Don't aggro anything, just log as fast as possible. Time yourself for the next GGS gain, add a few minutes or an hour, then log in and go tame till you get your gain, then go home and log out. You can probably do this about 10 times before the scroll wears off (maybe more! mmm), so you'll end up with 2 to 5 points of taming from it, and having hardly spent any time at taming.

Downside is of course, those scrolls are fabulously expensive. :p
Thats cool never thought of that thanks hmm maybe time to do my last five points :)

M

Malkes

Aye, the Scroll of Alacrity. It's hard to find them for taming, and when you do, they are insanely expensive.

By the way:

I remember you Sarsmi! We met at the UO 7th anniversary/Samurai Empire thing out in Cali, hehe.

Side note about the scroll:

I hear that the absolute best way to do it, is as Sarsmi said, but to have a friend tame a bull or something, bring it to your house (or wherever you are logged out) and release it, so when you log in there is a tamable right there waiting for you.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is a chart that relates gains to skill level and total skills.

It shows how often GGS come up at different levels, it also applies to regular gains. I used this as a reference during BR training. I always kept my skill totals below 300 and it made a huge difference.

Guaranteed Gain System chart

N

Narda Dag'thul

Something I read about doing recently (and did myself to get my LP up to GM for the second time) would be to buy a scroll of transcendence for animal taming that gives .2-.5 in gains each time you gain.
You can take this one step further: Get a transcendence scroll for 1.0 animal taming. Eat the alacrity scroll for bigger gains, eat the transcendence. Insta 2.0 gain.

Ofc, this is REALLY expensive ;)

M

Malkes

If I recall correctly, using a SoT and a Scroll of Alacrity together caps at 1 full point. I could be wrong about that, but I think it's correct.