Is This Really True?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 21, 2008
Catskills
I heard today that EA no longer bans people for the use of the word 'f-g', even if the context under which its used is blatantly derogatory. Something so demeaning and discriminatory surely isn't allowed.

A

Ashlen

I didnt know they ever did anything about it
That has never been a word I liked or used

But have had it thrown at me many times
along with b!t(h right behind it and I even paged
one time it got so bad. But I never knew they
did anything about it.
New to me.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
2545 x 2031
I've seen a lot of people blab the R word lately too :X. I usually tell them to not say it though and they usually just don't know better.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Cats/Europa
That's one of those things that are, unfortunatly, selectively enforced.

It's still technically bannable, but more often than not, a GM will tell you to put the offending player on ignore.

M

Mirage

I heard today that EA no longer bans people for the use of the word 'f-g', even if the context under which its used is blatantly derogatory. Something so demeaning and discriminatory surely isn't allowed.
Is it really important anymore?

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 21, 2008
Catskills
Is it really important anymore?
Yes, it is. I don't think that any company should allow hate speech in their games. I'm to understand someone said "Well, it can be used as a 'joking' tone". I hope that applies to everything now, then, including the N word. Any derogatory term has been made into something semi-positive or joking, but for a company to allow the use of those words, joking or not, is passively supporting the use of those words.

I'm far from uptight on most things, but I honestly don't think its appropriate for those kind of things to be allowed in a game. Especially one thats rated T for Teen.

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 7, 2005
Right behind you
I do not want to sound like I disagree with you or disagree with your point. I would like to say if those words offend you so much add them to your filter so you dont have to see them. its not the same as putting a player on ignore from what I understand. From what I understand it will block those words for you though.

The game is in a sad state right now for what it allows and does not allow. What rules it enforces and what rules it doesn't. at least this way you dont have to see it.

R

Rathma

I agree with you Calina. I don't think its right for people going around saying those words as they please. People are here to play a game without some numbnut running around saying those type of words to people.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
2545 x 2031
EA should just take the stance of most all games and have a global filter on all those kinds of words that are automatically filtered out etc. If a player then goes and uses a method to bypass thier filter system then they should take action. It would save a ton of headaches :x.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
illandril.net
You could be banned for using the term "generous, caring person" if you used it in a derogatory way (more than once, following the person from one location to another, after the person you directed it at asked you to stop).

I don't know what EA's list of "ban-on-site" words is (with one exception), nor if it has changed recently.

M

Mirage

Yes, it is. I don't think that any company should allow hate speech in their games. I'm to understand someone said "Well, it can be used as a 'joking' tone". I hope that applies to everything now, then, including the N word. Any derogatory term has been made into something semi-positive or joking, but for a company to allow the use of those words, joking or not, is passively supporting the use of those words.

I'm far from uptight on most things, but I honestly don't think its appropriate for those kind of things to be allowed in a game. Especially one thats rated T for Teen.
I've heard much worse here in UO.

The reason I said is it important anymore, is because EA don't care about anything anymore. The game is dying for sure, and it's just a matter of time.

Someone suggested filter words you don't like. That's what I would do...IF it bothered me. Which it don't.

I enjoy hearing someone call someone else a f*g. *shrugs*

Mir

R

Rathma

I think the game is dieing in more then one way, but this probably is one of them.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 28, 2007
People are too easily offended these days. Seriously, it's a word. They only offend you if you allow them to. Personally, I find it discredits the person using such a word so it doesn't offend me, it amuses me. Besides, if a GM can actually get some REAL work done by ignoring a word, I say more power to him/her.:thumbup1: