Is this Halberd any good?

• Thread starter Old Man of UO
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
O

Old Man of UO

Miasma dropped this halberd for me last night and I was just going to leave it on the corpse, but thought maybe it is actually usable for the right mage. I don't PvP and so don't understand what mods are needed other than hit spell. If I read the mods correctly, there are 4 mods on this one (or is it 5?) which means I could add one more property with imbuing when it comes out. Should I toss/ keep/ sell this one?

Halberd
Spell Channeling
Mage Weapon -25
FC -1
Swing Speed Increase 30%
Damage Increase 18%
Fire damage 40%
Poison damage 60%

C

Connor_Graham

That's pretty much junk. Other than the SSI, it's not worth saving, and that only for "unraveling".

O

Old Man of UO

Well, I have enough junk to unravel as it is...
*tosses halberd into the recycling bin*

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
You could say there are 4 main properties...I never count negative spell channeling even though it really is...it's just it is an annoying property so meh, you have 4 real properties.

Aside from that, not really enough damage increase on the weapon. Not to mention, halberds are just plain silly.

I mean it has a secondary move of concussion but plenty of other weapons that can do that more efficiently. Mace is main weapon of choice for primarys. Secondary you have nice weapons with battle axe and long sword. All of those weapons are much faster than a halberd.

Halberd is kind of the big pun of UO since...it is REALLY...such a slow weapon.

G

GFY

Halbys were all the rage back in the pre- AOS days. Mages would carry them and hit you with and explosion flame strike combo and if they got a hit with a Vanquishing halberd, you were pretty much dead unless you had ubber armor. (*sigh* the good old days!)

Now halberds are just too slow. Most players can heal between halberd swings making them all but useless.

D

Dmaninuo

Ahhhhh, dont forget DP'n them as well. FIrst time I was pk'd was north of Minoc trying to mine. DP'd halberd, ran & did a dirtnap before I knew what was going on.

G

GFY

LOL I did a lot of mining in the caves north of Minoc. Well.. a lot of mining and running from PKs! (This was pre-Trammel for you younguns!) Don't forget that with the lumberjack bonus you could bring the strongest player down below half life with 1 swing!

Magery
Eval
Resist
Lumberjack
Swords
Meditation
Mining

Gm was the limit because this was the pre-champspawn era.

G

gjohnson5

Halberds never had the lumberjacking bonus.
ANd LOL @ the posts above this one. Hally's aren't axes and don't get lumberjack bonuses

IMHO a hally w/30% swing speed increase should be fairly good. Also since the damage is all fire and poison , you'll get some usefulness out of that. Many monsters like succumbus and changlings have weak elemental resists and high physical resist. With this , no chivalry needed.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
ANd LOL @ the posts above this one. Hally's aren't axes and don't get lumberjack bonuses

IMHO a hally w/30% swing speed increase should be fairly good. Also since the damage is all fire and poison , you'll get some usefulness out of that. Many monsters like succumbus and changlings have weak elemental resists and high physical resist. With this , no chivalry needed.
Not a personal attack, but reading every post to see whether every post above this one said "axe" would be important to do before one generalizes about whether every single person said axe or said lumberjack bonus...which in my case I did not discuss about either.

For the benefit of a doubt though, yes a halberd is not an "axe." It is a two-handed pole weapon, falling into the same class as a pike. Except that a halberd has...an axe head.

G

gjohnson5

Not a personal attack, but reading every post to see whether every post above this one said "axe" would be important to do before one generalizes about whether every single person said axe or said lumberjack bonus...which in my case I did not discuss about either.
What??
Work on sentence structure....
Anyway , Why not reread your own posts. If you didn't say halberd's get lumberjacking bonuses ,then maybe you weren't the subject of my post :-(

For the benefit of a doubt though, yes a halberd is not an "axe." It is a two-handed pole weapon, falling into the same class as a pike. Except that a halberd has...an axe head.
This is a ompletely moot point. The game has not defined hally's as axes

C

Connor_Graham

What??
Work on sentence structure....
Really?

Many monsters like succumbus and changlings
This is a ompletely
It's not a good idea to critique someone's sentence structure when your own post contains spelling errors. Just a tip for future reference. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house and all that rot.

No one ever said they did. Maybe you should go back and reread the conversation.

We try not to troll in this forum, so please refrain from doing so.

G

gjohnson5

LOL I did a lot of mining in the caves north of Minoc. Well.. a lot of mining and running from PKs! (This was pre-Trammel for you younguns!) Don't forget that with the lumberjack bonus you could bring the strongest player down below half life with 1 swing!

Magery
Eval
Resist
Lumberjack
Swords
Meditation
Mining

It's not a good idea to critique someone's sentence structure when your own post contains spelling errors. Just a tip for future reference. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house and all that rot.
:rolleyes:

No one ever said they did. Maybe you should go back and reread the conversation.
Looks like e have a reading comprehension issue here.
reread the post I quoted

We try not to troll in this forum, so please refrain from doing so.
Then what do you call this post???

C

Connor_Graham

Magery
Eval
Resist
Lumberjack
Swords
Meditation
Mining

This says nothing about halberds being axes. It merely references one person's experience utilizing the lumberjack bonus back in the day as more of a side note than anything to do with the OP's subject.

Then what do you call this post???
Informative. :scholar:

G

gjohnson5

This says nothing about halberds being axes. It merely references one person's experience utilizing the lumberjack bonus back in the day as more of a side note than anything to do with the OP's subject.

Informative. :scholar:
Yep work on the reading as well as semantics. That discussion was clearly about DP's hally getting a lumberjack bonus....

LOL @ you call your trolling informative when you clearly misunderstood the discussion.

:loser:

C

Connor_Graham

That discussion was clearly about DP's hally getting a lumberjack bonus....
Actually, that particular part of the conversation was about getting PK'd near Minoc, and was, as I said, something that had nothing to do with the OP.

LOL @ you call your trolling informative when you clearly misunderstood the discussion
LOL @ you continuing to misunderstand the discussion even after what you didn't get the first time was pointed out to you. GFY knows very well that halberds aren't affected by the lumberjack bonus, and only brought that up in reference to an experience he had while mining near Minoc. Getting PK'd near Minoc was brought up by another poster and GFY went off on a tangent about it.

Like I said, you need to reread what was said, because you obviously still don't get it. Either way, this has nothing to do with the OP, and is just feeding the troll, so I'm done with it. We don't troll in this forum, and would appreciate you keeping with the standard.

G

gjohnson5

Actually, that particular part of the conversation was about getting PK'd near Minoc, and was, as I said, something that had nothing to do with the OP.

LOL @ you continuing to misunderstand the discussion even after what you didn't get the first time was pointed out to you. GFY knows very well that halberds aren't affected by the lumberjack bonus, and only brought that up in reference to an experience he had while mining near Minoc. Getting PK'd near Minoc was brought up by another poster and GFY went off on a tangent about it.

Like I said, you need to reread what was said, because you obviously still don't get it. Either way, this has nothing to do with the OP, and is just feeding the troll, so I'm done with it. We don't troll in this forum, and would appreciate you keeping with the standard.
Not only do you have reading comprehension problems, but it appears to be mixed with a character flaw as well. You clearly read what you want to read and this is probably due to you thinking your better then others on these forums. LOL @ your attitude and your tool-like behavior

Whatever

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
Yep work on the reading as well as semantics. That discussion was clearly about DP's hally getting a lumberjack bonus....
Actually, the title topic of the article was whether the halberd in question was any good or not.

Miasma dropped this halberd for me last night and I was just going to leave it on the corpse, but thought maybe it is actually usable for the right mage. I don't PvP and so don't understand what mods are needed other than hit spell. If I read the mods correctly, there are 4 mods on this one (or is it 5?) which means I could add one more property with imbuing when it comes out. Should I toss/ keep/ sell this one?

Halberd
Spell Channeling
Mage Weapon -25
FC -1
Swing Speed Increase 30%
Damage Increase 18%
Fire damage 40%
Poison damage 60%
Since the article in question has already been answered about, then that is all that is needed to be discussed about this topic. The topic was not about lumberjacking or deadly poisoning.