• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there a way to see what resists have been imbued or changed through reforging?

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not Directly.

An easy method is to count the total resists on the piece.

You can also try to imbue the item with something 100% not on it and look at the total # of mods.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Part of the problem is whether there is something on the item from exceptional crafting - resists for armor, DI for weapons. Plus, a few other properties that come from being made exceptional (like mage armor on Samurai Plate).

Depending on the skill level (in arms lore) of the crafter, the additional, randomly applied across all 5 resists, could be 15 to 20 points (23 on SP & Mugen). It's rarely as simple as 3 pts each; and even less common is getting in only 3-4 of the 5.

A resist that hasn't been imbued will still be treated as its base (not a property).
A resist that's been imbued is treated as the amount changed, subsuming any pre-existing exceptional or material bonus into the imbued amount. For example, if a resist is 5% normally, and has a 3% exceptional bonus (for 8%), if you try to imbue it, it can be increased only to 20% (5%+15%) because the exceptional bonus doesn't pass through. This is why, if someone is looking to imbue an item for a resist (usually after reforging for non-resist properties), they tend to start with items that have 0%-2% exceptional bonus in the resist they will want to imbue post-reforge, to maximize the exceptional bonuses (that don't count as properties) that remain.

When reforging, though, the exceptional bonus DOES pass through, and the reforged additions are added to the base + exceptional bonus. Otherwise, you wouldn't have base leather exceptional armor with one or more 30% or higher Resists, as (to use the best example) Fire Resist is a base 4%, and Reforging can only raise that another 20%. So, the piece in question had to have 6% additional from Exceptional quality to be at 30% (I just happen to have a leftover example leather gloves in my Imbuer's pack right now, hence the example).

However, the example is causing MUCH more concern than before, as the numbers are really, REALLY weird.

For the example:
Casting Focus 2%
LMC 8%
Resists: 9/26/25/20/5

Casting Focus, while not Imbuable, has an Imbuing weight of 1.1 from my testing (Others have stated 1.2 but it's not adding up*) and a normal cap of 3 as loot, so it has a weight of 73.33%/500 at 2% (2/3 of 110)
LMC has a weight of 1.1, so LMC 8% is 110/500
For the resists, the weight is a flat 1. Base Resists total 15, + 20 randomized for exceptional bonus. so 35 of the 85 total. that means that there would be 50 points from the reforge (or 500/500 by itself). But, since 9 of the 20 exceptional bonuses don't fall into altered resists, they don't count, so it drops to 410. (I don't know why, but it's the only way the math works is to subtract the 9 again after)

As, if I go in and try to imbue the item, it tells me that the 8% LMC (the only one of the 5 properties testable, as exceptional bonuses are in all 5 resists and CF isn't imbuable) puts the item at 595% intensity.

Something's a bit off in the calculations. But, apparently, the additions of the exceptional resists can make a valuation wonky. I hope I don't cause a nerf from asking a question on the official forums.

*I can't find an official source, but the fan sources all insist 1.2

TrackStar

Journeyman
Part of the problem is whether there is something on the item from exceptional crafting - resists for armor, DI for weapons. Plus, a few other properties that come from being made exceptional (like mage armor on Samurai Plate).

Depending on the skill level (in arms lore) of the crafter, the additional, randomly applied across all 5 resists, could be 15 to 20 points (23 on SP & Mugen). It's rarely as simple as 3 pts each; and even less common is getting in only 3-4 of the 5.

A resist that hasn't been imbued will still be treated as its base (not a property).
A resist that's been imbued is treated as the amount changed, subsuming any pre-existing exceptional or material bonus into the imbued amount. For example, if a resist is 5% normally, and has a 3% exceptional bonus (for 8%), if you try to imbue it, it can be increased only to 20% (5%+15%) because the exceptional bonus doesn't pass through. This is why, if someone is looking to imbue an item for a resist (usually after reforging for non-resist properties), they tend to start with items that have 0%-2% exceptional bonus in the resist they will want to imbue post-reforge, to maximize the exceptional bonuses (that don't count as properties) that remain.

When reforging, though, the exceptional bonus DOES pass through, and the reforged additions are added to the base + exceptional bonus. Otherwise, you wouldn't have base leather exceptional armor with one or more 30% or higher Resists, as (to use the best example) Fire Resist is a base 4%, and Reforging can only raise that another 20%. So, the piece in question had to have 6% additional from Exceptional quality to be at 30% (I just happen to have a leftover example leather gloves in my Imbuer's pack right now, hence the example).

However, the example is causing MUCH more concern than before, as the numbers are really, REALLY weird.

For the example:
Casting Focus 2%
LMC 8%
Resists: 9/26/25/20/5

Casting Focus, while not Imbuable, has an Imbuing weight of 1.1 from my testing (Others have stated 1.2 but it's not adding up*) and a normal cap of 3 as loot, so it has a weight of 73.33%/500 at 2% (2/3 of 110)
LMC has a weight of 1.1, so LMC 8% is 110/500
For the resists, the weight is a flat 1. Base Resists total 15, + 20 randomized for exceptional bonus. so 35 of the 85 total. that means that there would be 50 points from the reforge (or 500/500 by itself). But, since 9 of the 20 exceptional bonuses don't fall into altered resists, they don't count, so it drops to 410. (I don't know why, but it's the only way the math works is to subtract the 9 again after)

As, if I go in and try to imbue the item, it tells me that the 8% LMC (the only one of the 5 properties testable, as exceptional bonuses are in all 5 resists and CF isn't imbuable) puts the item at 595% intensity.

Something's a bit off in the calculations. But, apparently, the additions of the exceptional resists can make a valuation wonky. I hope I don't cause a nerf from asking a question on the official forums.

*I can't find an official source, but the fan sources all insist 1.2

Really great info.

I came across this question because I was crafting 190 luck gear and ran into a problem with the number of imbues on the items. It would say I already had 2 or 3 imbues with only 150 luck and who knows what resists were high. I think I ended up making a mistake in finishing the items without properly checking which resists were imbued in the reforging process. I had hoped to get my resists to all 70's and have some space left for things like LRC and LMC but I ended up with 2 resists under 70 and only enough space for 100 LRC and nothing else save for the luck.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When making a specialized suit, timing properties is everything. Warning - lots of meandering thoughts ahead - I tend to make suits based on parts on hand, then reforge/imbue to fill the gaps, so crafting a whole suit from scratch is typically out of my wheelhouse. But, there are some basics to watch out for.

One way to deal with the resists -

1. When crafting the items to be reforged, look for items that have 0-2 (the lower the better) exceptional bonus in Physical (if you are working with leather and going to enhance with spined) and if possible, some other resist. For all other items, any two resists with 0-2 exceptional bonus will work.
2. Write the pre-reforge resists down for each item, or do #3 after reforging.
3. If you forgot what resists were prior, go into imbuing on the item, but DON't actually imbue. Go to each resist, and look at it. If the resist was improved by the reforge (possible from a random property drop even when reforging for just luck), the number of listed properties after the imbue will stay the same as before. If it wasn't affected by the reforge, the number will go up or (if already 5 properties or at cap) tell you you can't imbue.
4. Plan around the reforge/imbue/enhancements. If your luck jewelry has resists or other desirable properties, factor them in before imbuing. (I'm personally running with 150 luck ring and bracelet because I use their other properties to get an extra 15 magery and 15 vet on a Tamer/TH). Similarly, using some of the high luck artifacts/collection items require taking into account their properties as well. And, you'll want the low resists you plan to imbue to be roughly spaced out in the 4 non-physical resists. You can even have things like protection (which lowers physical) factored in.
5. Get all the non-resist properties to 100% intensity before working on the resists. you can get 40% LRC & 16% LMC from imbuing onto 150 luck jewelry, 50%/20% with a couple of lucky loot drops that probably won't have 150 luck. OR, if you go with the "Bleu" set for 400, you'll have to come up with both properties elsewhere. Compassion's Eye + 150 luck bracelet will get you to 400, and at least the Eye has 20% LRC. A Bracelet of primal consumption will also do wonders for your resists (and 200 luck), but they are expensive (very hard to get recipe), and mean you'll have to imbue more LRC/LMC on the armor.

Let's do some rough calculations.

Assumed non-craftable parts (columns)Minax Sandals (ignoring the -2% to a random resist)Minax Sandals + Leurocian's MempoMinax Sandals + Armor of FortuneSandals, AoF, AND MempoAdd Compassion's Eye (ring)Add Bracelet of Primal Consumption
LRC10%10%50%50%+20%NA
LMC5%5%5%5%+0NA
Base resists of suit before reforging, Imbuing & enhancement with Spined (assumes leather)12/24/18/18/1825/30/25/25/3012/24/17/17/1825/30/25/25/31NA+20/20/20/20/20
Resists assuming all crafted pieces enhanced with spined66/24/18/18/1870/30/25/25/3057/24/17/17/1870/30/25/25/31NA+20/20/20/20/20
Maximum possible resist points (random) from crafting (100 Lore)+120+100+100+80NANA
Typical resists, Assuming 2 points per piece were in Physical, applying the random rest evenly78/51/45/45/4580/52/47/47/5267/36/39/39/4078/48/43/43/49Best Resist Case: 100/72/67/67/72
Worst Resist Case:
87/56/59/59/60
LRC using Imbued Jewelry instead of CE & BoPC50%50%90%90%
LMC using Imbued Jewelry instead of CE & BoPC21%21%21%21%

The best case scenario, using the combination of the 5 artifacts/drops (as BoPC is a modified Ring of the Elements), would be LRM 70%, 5% LRC, and the average non-physical resist being within 5 of 70, without any imbuing. But, with proper planning, one could probably get the resists shifted to where 1-2 imbues would go all-70s, and put energy up to 75 for the Elves. But that's an insanely expensive suit if you didn't luck into the ring and the recipe for the bracelet. You'd have to imbue 30% LRC and 35% LMC (2 LRC imbues, 5 LMC imbues).
Going full-crafting (other than the sandals, which are a given for any suit), with imbued jewelry (the cheap route), would be 8 Resist imbues (possibly just 7 or 6, if you get really lucky), but only 3 LRC imbues and 3 LMC imbues. IF one is working with 100 luck jewelry (good, clean 150 luck pieces are hard to find), where the luck was imbued on maxed out LMC/LRC loot jewelry, would mean you'd have 100 less luck overall, but would start with 65% LRC and 25% LMC, requiring only 2 imbues each of those stats on the armor.

But, again, I really don't have a good handle on the Reforging stuff - especially when it comes to luck. My best luck suit is currently only 1495 luck, but has all 70s and a lot of properties that my Tamer/TH needs (like high MR). and my Mage runs around with only 495 luck, but the suit is max resists (even with protection), LRC, LMC, MR, +INT, around +30 Mana, and around 150 SDI with the right book equipped - even though her neck slot item has ZERO resists.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Example Gloves that were purchased from a vendor:
1660763531046.png

1. Use the imbuing menu to see how many mods are currently on the item.
(This can be done by selecting the luck option on the menu; it will say x/5 properties.​
This is how many properties have been reforged onto the item currently including luck.​
You will not actually be imbuing the item with this! Cancel the imbue or hit the back button.)​
1660763591500.png
If it is more than 1/5, then you also have other properties reforged. (These will be resists if you do not see an explicitly tagged property.)​

2. Use the imbuing menu to select the resists one at a time.
  • If the menu states that it will be (x+1)/5 properties, then that resist increase came from exceptional/arms lore.
1660763280564.png

• If the menu states that it will be x/5 properties (same number as when you chose luck), then that resist increase came from reforging and has taken one of the imbuing spots.
1660763197916.png

1660763499286.png

Attachments

TrackStar

Journeyman
Example Gloves that were purchased from a vendor:
View attachment 133763

1. Use the imbuing menu to see how many mods are currently on the item.
(This can be done by selecting the luck option on the menu; it will say x/5 properties.​
This is how many properties have been reforged onto the item currently including luck.​
You will not actually be imbuing the item with this! Cancel the imbue or hit the back button.)​
View attachment 133765
If it is more than 1/5, then you also have other properties reforged. (These will be resists if you do not see an explicitly tagged property.)​

2. Use the imbuing menu to select the resists one at a time.
  • If the menu states that it will be (x+1)/5 properties, then that resist increase came from exceptional/arms lore.
View attachment 133761

• If the menu states that it will be x/5 properties (same number as when you chose luck), then that resist increase came from reforging and has taken one of the imbuing spots.
View attachment 133760

View attachment 133762
Thank you for this simple explanation.

Thargor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The worst part in reforging for luck is when you get a perfect pair with 150 luck, not spoiled resists and useless property like increased durability of the item from say 20 to 35, arghh...

Thargor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I cant count how many times i get one of these pieces and think its a keeper, only to find out when getting ready to imbue , its already has one wasted imbue from reforge into extra durability

TrackStar

Journeyman
I cant count how many times i get one of these pieces and think its a keeper, only to find out when getting ready to imbue , its already has one wasted imbue from reforge into extra durability
Wait, doesn't increased "durability" always show up as such on the item and isn't hidden in the stats?

Thargor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How many times do you pay attention to durability on the item? You going to pof anyhow, who cares if its 20 or 45, but when reforging, sometimes it adds to durability and wastes 1 future imbue