• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is EA ever going to stop cheaters?

B

Bent

Just two simple questions here if anyone with any pull at EA could answer please.

1)Is anything ever going to be done to the massive amounts of obvious cheaters now in game.

2)Are in game GMs ever going to actually read our pages or just allow the auto answer to try and help us?
Beacause I can guarantee most pages are not even read by a GM yet their job title is to help those of us who pay to play?

I won't hold my breath for a real answer because I know you all at EA have no answer and no idea how bad this game has gotten.

If no concrete response to at least the first question I am dropping both my accounts because it no longer is even fun to play with all these cheaters.

C

Connor_Graham

"If no concrete response to at least the first question I am dropping both my accounts because it no longer is even fun to play with all these cheaters."

Can I have your stuff?

Someone had to ask.....

G

I get the impression that the result of the punkbuster episode a year or two ago was that they analyzed the number of cheaters and realized that if they implemented punkbuster, they'd lose 75%+ of their paying members.

I'd be happier if they could combat cheating by fixing the exploits that are used for pvp advantages. Timer avoidance, speedhacking, z-hacks, lag hacks are the obvious ones.

I

imported_ElRay

poor taste connor, cheating/hacking/speedhacking has ruined/is ruining this game, the devs reputation and EAs reputation as well.

To not be able to control cheating thats as bad as it is in UO, says something about the competency of EA and its devs, which will revertebrate in their future endeavours, I guarantee you this

I can see it now when the current devs try to get a new job:
Employer: "Oh you worked on UO!"
UODev: "yes"

Employer: "I see I see, what time frame did you work on this game pray tell?"
UODev: "oh 2005-2008 yadda yadda"

Employer: "...................., I see ok, well we'll get back with you"
UODev: "..........................thats it?"

Employer: "yes thats all we need to know thank you"
UODev: ".................er ok thanks?"

G

<blockquote><hr>

poor taste connor, cheating/hacking/speedhacking has ruined/is ruining this game, the devs reputation and EAs reputation as well.

To not be able to control cheating thats as bad as it is in UO, says something about the competency of EA and its devs, which will revertebrate in their future endeavours, I guarantee you this

I can see it now when the current devs try to get a new job:
Employer: "Oh you worked on UO!"
UODev: "yes"

Employer: "I see I see, what time frame did you work on this game pray tell?"
UODev: "oh 2005-2008 yadda yadda"

Employer: "...................., I see ok, well we'll get back with you"
UODev: "..........................thats it?"

Employer: "yes thats all we need to know thank you"
UODev: ".................er ok thanks?"

[/ QUOTE ]

more like,

employer: I see here you worked on UO , that was a great game, but it seems your dates are wrong.
Dev: uh nope, I worked with EA/Mythic in 2008

employer: so you worked on WarHammer?
Dev: no, UO

employer: UO is still active?
Dev: yea

Employer: huh, I had no idea, so uh , what other experience ya got?

G

Hail: Here is an analagy.

I manage apartments. Most of the tenants are good. However, once in a while someone will move in , Blast their stereo at all hours, Beep the horn in their car a lot to get their friend to come outside, instead of going to the door, curse at other tenants who ask them to keep it down, and so on.

Now, this bad tenant has never been late on their rent payment. There are several vacant units. Most owners will not want the Manager to evict the bad tenant because he does pay on time, and it will just create another vacant unit.

Only when Good tenants start moving out, and they do so because of the actions of the Bad tenant, does an owner take any action.

How does this apply to UO? There are a lot of Bad players, ie, cheaters/dupers. But UO has a low volume of current players, and EA has not done what they need to do. Now, the player base is getting smaller, as more Good players leave the game, because of the Cheaters.

Kicking out the cheaters, is not enought. You have to remove the ability to be able to cheat from the game.

Next, and at the same time, You have to advertise that you have stopped cheating, for the most part, and get back all those good players who left. Then, you at least have a fighting chance to get new players into the game, and grow the player base.

There is an old saying. "Sometimes you need to take 1 step backwords, to take 2 steps forward". Yes, banning cheaters lowers the player base. But, it will grow the player base back if advertised. Why do you think you see all those places, including apartments, with the banner that says, "Under NEW Management"?

The math is easy. Bann 1 player, get 2 back.
Bann 2 players, get 3 back.
Bann 4 players, get 3 back, and 2 new join. and so on............

Apartments that do little or nothing, are called Slum Lords. I don't know what you would call a gaming company that does little or nothing? Hmmmm, maybe later we call them Bankrupt........

R

Repowski

I totally agree, but the one issue is that you can't really "advertise" that you've done away with the cheating. Not actively at least... unless you were

1. Desperate
2. 100% sure you've got all possible cheats eliminated

Because once you announce you've got the problem licked, one sign of a problem is going to damage you worse then before.

R

Repowski

To add though,

I do believe that the developers should come into this public forum and conduct discussions with the community at large about what forms of cheating they do know about, how they're going to handle them, and when they believe the cheat has been fixed - IN THE CODE.

This is the advantage Ultima has over your apartment complex. You don't have the ability to go out and turn off the radio that's too loud, or remove the car horn from people who aren't willing to walk up and knock. Essentially, you're unable to remove the annoying activities from your tenants like Ultima can.

This allows Ultima to fix the bugs, possibly keep some of the cheaters (since they'll no longer be able to exploit the game), and restore some sense of confidence in the good subscribers. Those subscribers will then spread the message word of mouth to the folks they know quit the game... and you'll have accounts reactivated.

I know this is a perfect world explanation, but there has to be a process in place which shows progress in this direction.

EA, please please please - assign a person to this task. Make their lives about fixing the cheat bugs, and discussing the issue with the public. You will profit greatly for their efforts.

P.S. - I KNOW that this is going to cause you to spend more money on the 2d client, and yes some of these bugs may not exist in the 3d client... but you've got to end this, or you'll have no more funding to continue to improve either client.

B

Bent

You make alot of sense and to add one thing.

If EA has a fix and does'nt want to lose players by banning it is a simple solution.

Announce a date that all cheats will be banned and anyone caught after said date running a illegal app will be banned.Then they have a chance to remove all their helpers and not be banned.

But that other comment is dead on a Landlord that does nothing is a slum lord ,whats that make EA?

C

Connor_Graham

"poor taste connor, cheating/hacking/speedhacking has ruined/is ruining this game, the devs reputation and EAs reputation as well. "

Geez, lighten up. It was a joke. Hence the smiley faces.

People are so tense these days.....

*stops to smell the roses*

R

Repowski

btw: If there was ever a thread for EA to make an official response to... this could be one.

T

Trailer Trash

This is the thing with punkbuster!!!!
No one has to get banned!
What punkbuster does for other games im playing is it kicks you from the server if you use any of the programs that they decide to be illegal.
So if uo used punkbusters it would just kick you from the server if you use say a speed hack. The cheaters would not get banned they would just have to play without the cheats!! Yes a few people might quit cause they cant cheat but most would still play cause it would be an even playing field.

G

they should give in and just allow scripting, however, make it so unattended scripting is illegal.

so, afk gold farming scripts etc, aren't allowed among other game bothering scripts.

S

Sindris

<blockquote><hr>

Just two simple questions here if anyone with any pull at EA could answer please.

1)Is anything ever going to be done to the massive amounts of obvious cheaters now in game.

2)Are in game GMs ever going to actually read our pages or just allow the auto answer to try and help us?
Beacause I can guarantee most pages are not even read by a GM yet their job title is to help those of us who pay to play?

I won't hold my breath for a real answer because I know you all at EA have no answer and no idea how bad this game has gotten.

If no concrete response to at least the first question I am dropping both my accounts because it no longer is even fun to play with all these cheaters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been here since Beta testing. In all that time they have made token jabs at cheaters, banning an account here and there, but they have never really aggressively gone after cheaters on a large scale.

It may be the team is not given sufficient resources to combat the cheaters as they need to be, and it may also be that this game is simply so old that doing so would be just more work than it would be worth.

UO has had a decent run, I don't really care about the cheaters any more. I'm to the point now that they could close down the servers and I'd be just fine with it. This game is so far removed from the game I fell in love with a quarter of my life ago that its passing would be like watching a suffering relative die. I'd be sad for the loss, but grateful for the end of its misery.

G

Asheron's Call gave in to macroing....now its just part of the game

I

imported_Cyrah

I do not think EA cares about cheaters much , they pay.

As for Gms, well some clown named a pet "something r" word and parked it in Glow right by the bank. I paged and it was removed.

G

<blockquote><hr>

As for Gms, well some clown named a pet "something r" word and parked it in Glow right by the bank. I paged and it was removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

GM's will only come for typing certain words deemed offensive by EA. ****, racial slurs, harassing when someone asks you to stop.

C

Crystilastmous

<blockquote><hr>

I get the impression that the result of the punkbuster episode a year or two ago was that they analyzed the number of cheaters and realized that if they implemented punkbuster, they'd lose 75%+ of their paying members.

I'd be happier if they could combat cheating by fixing the exploits that are used for pvp advantages. Timer avoidance, speedhacking, z-hacks, lag hacks are the obvious ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ YOU!

what is a z hack?

Lag hack doesn't exist.

Everclear-IFC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

what is a z hack?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't know, you probably can't afford it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they will not. And shame on you for assuming that EA not stopping cheaters is by choice on their part. It's like asking "Will the police ever stop crime?". Of course not. And yes, the analogy between the virtual and the real in this case IS valid because the virtual world, just like the real, is a complex place that can not be fully monitored in the way that computer-illiterate people think it can.

So, want to erradicate cheaters entirely? NO PROBLEM, just agree to this:
Henceforth, all subscriptions will cost 1000 dollars/ month so that EA can install VIDEO CAMERAs in each player's computer room and hire people to visually monitor their play. Sounds like fun? No? Then please stop acting like your paltry sunscription should cover the costs of making a perfect world. It's bad enough that they cancelled a perfectly good (3D) client and have yet to replace it with a client that works.

As for all the cheaters, well, I have yet to meet one that is an "obvious cheater". Now, I know for certain that my neighbors are ALIENS from Mars. Though I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF, I am certian of it since I, with NO EXPERIENCE in identifying Martians, am nevertheless a self-proclaimed expert in these matters, and so it is MY DUTY to DEMAND that SOMEONE ELSE erradicact this alian MENACE, not that they have hurt me in any way. And if the government refuses to see things my way, I'll just have to hang myself twice, and no, you can't have my stuff.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from PVP...who cares, honestly? If someone has to cheat in a video game...to me...that's their problem.

Within PVP...that's another matter. Is there ever going to be a real solution? Nope, not totally. That's one thing that PVPing within the guild warfare system has going for it. You can restrict participation to people you trust not to cheat...and if you do find one that is cheating, you just kick em out.

G

I'm certainly not an EA employee but I will try to help anyway:

I have to answer this one with a question. Do the cheaters pay? Yes? Then EA won't do anything about them because they don't believe UO can survive without the cheaters accounts.

No

G

Origin has stated (yes origin still exists) millions of times that they are on the offensive and actions will be made against cheaters. Luna is a great example, as well as the removing of trillions of duped gold and items. They have even most recently stated that houseing cheats and others are about to get shut down big time. Not to mention simply changing bags of sending shut down many operations.

On a side note. they ditched punkbuster because players bitched about it so much that they put it on hold while they try to fix it internally.

and I quote "Please know that we are working to make systems within the Kingdom Reborn client extremely tough on cheaters. We&amp;#8217;ve made cheat prevention, and other in-game measures, a top (and ongoing) priority for our coding team."

"In November 2006 it was announced that PunkBuster integration into UO is put on hold indefinitely for the moment since the team would rather concentrate on "internal fixes and security improvements" in the client code."

There is hope. til then. just start roleplaying, its cheat free.

B

Bent

And what makes you think you are right?

Are you really naive enough to think no one is cheating?

But regardless of what you think it's a EA employee I would like to see post an answer to the original post question's.

Hello out there EA!!!!Anyone care to respond to this thread so the paying customers actually know whether they should bother playing anymore or find a new game that actually does something about cheaters.

I feel by EA not responding to this thread it is more then obvious they have no plans to do anything so I guess I just answered my own question.

Which really suck's because beside's the cheating and poor GM service this is probably the best game going ,oh well I guess all good thing's end eventually.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think EA cares much at all about anything related to Ultima Online. It's dead to them.

You simply do not allow a game to fall into such a severe state of decay unless you've accepted the loss and moved on.

R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think EA cares much at all about anything related to Ultima Online. It's dead to them.

You simply do not allow a game to fall into such a severe state of decay unless you've accepted the loss and moved on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Pahleese... Is UO generating money? Is it being operated like a business? As long as UO has its doors open, it is not dead to them.

G

Godfather

its gotten to the point its obvious EA is not going to stop speed hacking among other crap.
i have seen some good players get so fed up with it it comes down to the saying "if u cant beat them, join them" why should u NOT speed hack if it gives THEM such an advantage and THEY dont get banned?

G

Gilthas0130

If they ban the hack masters ,who would play the game anymore??
UO would shut down .

G

all EA needs to do is follow exactly what blizzard does regarding world of warcraft, in wow you cannot even log into the game if you are running a 3rd party program, it wont let u login it detects the program and says u cant log in till its closed, i dunno why they dont simply put this into uo... they also replace your stuff when you get hacked unlike in uo, they even can bring a character back from being deleted unlike uo... these are simple very very simple things that ea should do to improve customer service, and if EA is going to give the same customer service to Warhammer Online as it does to UO then no one is going to want to play Warhammer

I

imported_dukarlo

EA is never going to do anything about all the trash in this game until legitmate players decide on some kind of mass protest which involves closing accounts(therefore effecting EAs bottom line) on a massive scale. EA understands one thing and one thing only. Money. EA is not in the business of makeing new and innovative games. They are in the business of buying up other companys creations and milking it for everything they can even if it means running it into the ground. So until we start quitting in large numbers we will just be fed the same old lines by the devs and EAs other BS spewers.

C

Connor_Graham

"EA is never going to do anything about all the trash in this game until legitmate players decide on some kind of mass protest which involves closing accounts"

All this accomplishes is letting the cheaters beat you for good.

The players themselves could do a mass protest in Fel by simply all of them gathering together inside the guard zone, and refusing to come out, or participate in any form of PvP until the cheaters stop cheating. On the Tram side, players can stop purchasing the resources and items that are brought into the game by cheaters. It's quite obvious which vendors they are. As long as the cheaters have a reason to cheat, they'll keep doing it. If the players force their hand, then the only people they'll have left to cheat against is themselves, and we all know they can't compete on an even playing field.

Hell, I'd go to Fel myself and participate in a protest of this kind. I might be PvP'ing today if it wasn't for the cheaters, and some of you would get the chance to kill me and dance on my corpse.

A

Azaroth-

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I don't work for EA but I can answer these.

1. No. They can't. The only way to detect cheating is to install software that will detect cheating applications. But they can't do that because we, that is, the ultima players, chuck a big spaz when they propse something like this. Because we will say that it is invading our privacy. Yet we want to stop cheaters. Catch 22.

2. No. It is obviously their 'optimized' way to deal with the customer base because they obviously need to process requests quicker and not spend so much time with single requests. It is highly likely they have a policy where unless it is a issue where it is immediately affecting the player THERE AND THEN, they *have* to refer the customer to the web site to 1. Ensure they are optimizing their time, and (2) forcing players to use the web site because they consider it to be a great resource for us

Back in the day, there used to be love. They used to love us and we used to love them. It used to be a very happy family. Now it's business and the only people who show love are the very few people who actually are interested in their job and enjoy working with UO. To most of them though, it's just a job.

I think I need to quit this game. I say this hypothetically because I don't want to lose my marble isle castle spot
KR failed. The game is not gonna last forever.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I might be PvP'ing today if it wasn't for the cheaters, and some of you would get the chance to kill me and dance on my corpse.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Conner!
I feel similarly....I think I would entertain the idea of PvP if I didn't think it would be futile with all the cheating. I have to deal with enough s*** in RL, I'm not going to search it out while enjoying my game time.

G

GWAR_LS

Yes there is obvious bugs/programs and yes UO notices. Too bad it takes so long to fix them. The 2d client is old. Many devs/other employees have come and gone. People knowing the game from the inside out use it to their benefit. Ultima Online is a game you pay to play, some buy Items to be the best or spend some time in Real Life getting them. This makes Ultima Online a target for cheaters hackers and programers. Its hard to stop bugs and cheats because there is always a new cheat, bug, or program out right after they fix one. This is why they are tryng things like 3d and KR to start a new scaled game with less cheat capability.

Its too bad there is so many 2d lovers like myself that dont understad the consept of 3d games like KR. I dont like the graphics, the setup, or having to get used to another game. But that is the choices at hand thease days it seems.

Its a shame that anyone would have to undermine a game to beat people to make themself feel better, happier, or make money.

Looser with dignity before cheating to win.

G

I honestly don't see how its so hard to detect these hacks. For one all someone has to do is run a packet sniffer figure out what packets are going to the server at the time they are using a skill item whatever. Most of the programs used to hack (the true hacks, not the scripts) send packets to the server telling the server the client is doing something it may not be doing. What is so hard about having the server send something back to the client to verify its the right packet if it isn't send a notice to a dev and ban them. Now I can see how this could cuase alot of lag if it is done on every packet sent to the server but come on EA think of something. Also as for scripters - suspend each account for a period of time don't ban these guys becuase ALOT of people use scripts this would kill player bases on every shard. Burning a guys BOD shop down isn't going to scare anyone away.

G

GWAR_LS

I bet it did scare some the big timers. Wondering if there house was next. Honestly I was banned for using ez macros back in 1998 for fishing un-attended and learned my lesson. EZ macros was just a simple record/play macro system that I used. I havent used anything other than Assist since then. Now thease programs do everything for you. So why do it... goodbye role-playing...

G

Well, we're scheduled to get some changes to house placement to deal with those cheats. I would say that once those are through, there will be more plans for anti cheat measures. Now whether that will come to hit the PvP cheats before the script miner/BOD folks, I'm not sure. I'm certain however that EA are as sick of hearing cheat complaints as we're sick of making them
If I was in EA offices, I'd try my best to get rid of cheating just to shut UHallers up lol.

Now my view is that I'll give the current team a chance to progress from the housing changes to more anti cheat measures. But if they stop making changes, then I'll go back to dropping accounts. I appreciate these things take time and we're not party to what goes on in EA offices, but EA will never deter cheats if they are not seen to be acting on an ongoing basis. Softly, softly just creates a feeling that cheating is tolerated and breeds more cheating.

One thing I would like to see is a better system for truly perma banning a repeat offender. If EA will allow a cheat to return once, they should at least ensure that if that cheat re-offends they are blocked from logging in with any account, based on a combination of things like their IP, address and credit card info. While some may get past that net, the dumber ones would at least be out for good.

If EA want to make it easy for a cheat to return, at least they need to ensure there's a one-off payment of say $25 when a trial account goes into subscription. Just to cover additional GM monitoring that is necessary for these gits. And some cash to go in the kitty for improving UO for the rest of us. If the cheats are profiting IRL from UO, EA should also profit more from their "hard work".

Wenchy

Scooby_Snacks

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone else see the irony in someone called Bent making a post complaining about cheaters?

Just an observation! No offense intended...

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an interesting thread about this over at that site 'Which cannot be named' about punkbuster and the programmers response about it. In it, he states that he found that EA had put in a way to detect who was using that program, and that they know the number of people using it. And because the number is so high is why they aren't going to ban people for using it.

Anyway, it is an interesting read.

Oh, and I am sure the EA devs already know, but it's now open source.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Does anyone else see the irony in someone called Bent making a post complaining about cheaters?

Just an observation! No offense intended...

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAH

Quote of the Month

I

imported_dukarlo

Its ridiculous to think that EA cannot detect most if not all the 3rd party programs people are using. EA simply will not enforce its own terms of service despite what Draconi would like you to believe. Draconi or any other EA rep saying that they have a zero tolerance policy towards cheaters is a flat out lie. Deceptiveness like that towards EAs customers is as bad as the cheating itself.

V

Vincia Eaglehorn

its naive to believe such a complex game would be free of cheaters exploiters etc.

if i would be EA i wouldnt care to ... why? ...quite simple .... everybody if cheater or not pays money .... why should i ban someone who gives me money.

the few bans they do and did in the past are a real joke.

so stop whining
take it or leave it, nobody is forced to play the game ... and yes its just a game ... not real life ... if you are so addicted to the game then you should visit a doctor and get some help

G

<blockquote><hr>

Oh Pahleese... Is UO generating money? Is it being operated like a business? As long as UO has its doors open, it is not dead to them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Incorrect. They treat it like a cash cow.

The reason EA keep it going is because the game makes a small profit and runs on minimum resources with little or no investment. The small profit that it makes does not go back into UO ... it goes to Warhammers development.

B

Bent

Wow almost 1000 People have read this post ,over 90% of all agree that something needs to be done .

Yet do we see one person from EA respond to this ?

Are we ever going to get any type of response from EA regarding this problem ?

If this is not negligence on EA's part I have no idea what else it could be called?

D

Der Rock

----------------------------------------------------------------
...why they aren't going to ban people for using it. ......
---------------------------------------------------------------------

that is defenetly NOT true.
i know for sure, because i helped to find them, of 7 people who get banned for:

-scriptlooting in doom
-scripthealing
-scriptmining and lumber
-unattend skilling
-script stealing doom/tokuno

i helped a lot to make stealing in doom and tokuno, almost free from scripter

i dont know how many got banned at all from my help, but i know definetly 7 people who are gone for ever.
and 1 i am very proud of that, there was a "so called" vet-player from day one,
he was a "bigmouth", so i thought i have to investigate a litle time, and after 5-6 month he disapeard from while hidden scripting in doom, and i have never seen him again.
muhahahahahahah

fear me on drach, scripters are not safe on drach, as long i am in game

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
like i say in another post:

The sad thing is that they'll never do something because they'll lose
players and money...this is really really sad!

So now we have a free game for scripters, thats all!

And..."sure i'll adapt", i'm bored to work hard to get nice armor pieces
and high end items hunting for gold while scripters sitting and do nothing
to get them and laught at me, so "i'll adapt", thx EA!

I suggest to all of you to do the same!

D

Der Rock

dont u read my post?

scripters are only get away because poeple dont care about enough.
the dev´s postet not only once time , WE should help, and brief them if we think someone is cheating/scripting/exploiting.

ok,sometimes it takes month bevore they can shafted the "scum-player"
but it works.

G

Wow cry cry cry cry cry

<blockquote><hr>

-scriptlooting in doom
-scripthealing
-scriptmining and lumber
-unattend skilling
-script stealing doom/tokuno

[/ QUOTE ]

and here is everyone worried about bod scripters ending up with a gazillion kits, and pvp scripts chugalugaluging.... GO GET THOSE auto looters banned bud, excelent job..