• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

****ing Popups

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey mods

Since about a Week i get Popups on Android Chrome which are trying to Trick You into downloading/installing Malware or some Others **** .

The only Thing i can do is closing Chrome completely .

You Guys should be more careful what ****ing ADS You allow and which Not .

Right now i am still thinking this is Not Intentional but WHO knows....

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note. If someone else get a Pop-up from Fake Facebook or Amazon or Google in Here DO NOT PRESS OK or anything else.

Open Task Manager and kill Chrome!
Also Run some Anti Virus!

@mods fix that **** before someone sue You in USA Justice Wonderland .lol

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Moved thread to the appropriate forum as it's not game related, @Finley Grant please be careful with the language being used in this thread... I know those popups can be annoying but your very close to a violation with circumventing the profanity filter. Thanks

@Nexus

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hey mods

Since about a Week i get Popups on Android Chrome which are trying to Trick You into downloading/installing Malware or some Others **** .

The only Thing i can do is closing Chrome completely .

You Guys should be more careful what ****ing ADS You allow and which Not .

Right now i am still thinking this is Not Intentional but WHO knows....
It's not intentional, We only use Adsense, part of their policy for advertisers is no pop up windows are allowed unless they require a user to click on something. If you're getting a pop up please right-click it and copy the URL and PM it to me. We are served ads from a couple of hundred advertisers through Adsense, and as ads delivered are partly based on past browsing history I can't assure I'll get the same ads that you do. If you can do that I can find the advertiser, block them and report them to Google.

Also want to mention that even this won't guarantee anything. Some ISP's have begun embedding ads into their users data stream, there is nothing we, you, or any adblocker can do to counter them.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Get a good pop-up blocker. My ISP has a Anti-Virus for free. Yours could as well. A lot of popular ISPs have free Anti-Virus software available.

Google Chrome and then use an extension on personal computers.
On Android, follow the below...

Turn pop-ups on or off
  1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Chrome app
  2. To the right of the address bar, tap More
    Settings
  3. Tap Site settings
    Pop-ups
  4. Turn Pop-ups to Allowed or Block.
Stratics shouldn't be held accountable for poor internet etiquette. It's 2018 and malicious people are constantly thinking of new ways of exploiting people. You can either be the exploited your you can do your best to not be. Don't get me wrong... If a expert wants to be malicious to you, they can. There's very little you can do if a person targets you if that person has a good tool set.

The most common attacks you should always keep yourself from are below...

Phishing, this is where someone fakes a website so you think you're using a legitimate site, but you aren't. Common forms of this are emails with links. Always check the url. Google the company separately and see what url they are at. A web url is broken into three parts. HTTP (or HTTPS) is the protocol. www.google.com is the domain. / and after are specific files or folders. Basic SQL can also be included in a weburl, but you should make sure the domain matches the website you find on Google. It becomes easier and easier as you start remembering your favorite sites domains. Other common ways to identify a phishing attempt is stressing time or stressing a punishment. If they say you only have such and such time to do it or if they say that if you don't there will be some negative affect... these are common to phishing.

Treat hyperlinks on any communication medium the same as an email. If someone links something in a forum, for example... google it and make sure you're going where you think you're going.

Social Engineering , is where someone personally tries to get you to give little pieces of information you don't realize the impact of. The most common way this happens is phone call. If someone calls you asking for information ask them for a website to go to for resolution instead. Google what they're telling you to see if someone else has had the same call. If someone tells you that you owe them money and you don't know about it, don't pay them. Ask them to mail you a letter with the bill. People who can socially persuade people are very very good at it. You'd be surprised what you can get people to do. Protect your information from people you trust as well because they can be targeted for your information.

Virus, A virus attaches itself to a .exe or replaces it altogether. A trojan horse is something that is disguised as a harmless application. You think you're downloading a registry scanner for example, and it's really set to scan your files and send them to someone else. The best way to prevent this is to keep your anti-virus updated and set to scan often. This is reactive. Firewalls can also stay updated to prevent it altogether. A firewall is like a filter that filters out virus. A Anti-Virus finds it if it goes through the firewall. Both are fallible because it requires the attack to be known before it can filter or remove it. For the average user this isn't a problem, but if you're targeted (DOUBTFUL) it's easy to get around.

Worm, A worm is it's own program where a virus attaches itself to a program. That's the difference. A worm will overwhelm memory and create exploits for other attacks or destroy your computer memory. (There are many kinds of memory.) The worst memory to get hit is your ROM. Your ROM is a static memory on your motherboard that runs basic BIOS. This will permanently kill your computer. Attacks on your RAM or Hard Drive memory are easy to mitigate. RAM is non-consequential for the most part depending on the attack. Hard Drive is mitigated by creating a back-up. You should always have back-ups.

Two newest attacks (Spectre and Meltdown), and you are affected because everyone pretty much is, is that your processors work faster than your transmissions of information between applications. People are able to process scripts so fast because of your processor that it picks up your packets of information before they are transmitted and encoded. They've patched them, but it's another ongoing attack that's new so I have very little information on it. Where applications usually are isolated, now because processors are so fast, information on one application is accessible to be read when it normally won't be. (Chrome passwords saved, for example.) The mitigation here is to stay patched up with your OS, but it's an ongoing risk.

Steps you can take on your own and stop relying on Stratics to protect you are....

Identify your assets. What do you have that is useful to someone else?
Identify vulnerabilities in your assets. Where don't you have a mitigation?
Identify threats that attack those vulnerabilities from the above.
Create your mitigation plans for the threats.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
guys i didn want to insult anyone but its very uncool..

i normally have a blocker where id never happend before but i forget to prolong it so it showed.

thanks @Lore for making so much effort to explain certain stuff to the broad mass :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If someone tells you that you owe them money and you don't know about it, don't pay them. Ask them to mail you a letter with the bill.
Kind of off-topic but since you seem to know a lot about this type of stuff... there's been a "bill collection company" that I'm pretty sure isn't even a real company calling me at least once a week for about 3 years who seem to be constantly looking for information. They say they are looking for someone with a different name than me, but the calls never end. They request "proof" that I'm not the person they're looking for by wanting my personal information, which is what makes me think it's just a scam and not even real bill collectors. It's impossible to block them because every call is from a different number, and different states. I'm not even sure how they do this but when I call any of the numbers back it dead-ends and says the number doesn't exist even though it just called me. It used to be a person but now it's just a robot reading a script. Tried reporting them, it did nothing.

Is there anything that can be done about this other than just changing my phone number?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Assuming you're US...

What to do if a Scammer Won't Stop Calling You

I'm no expert in that part, but I found the above link...

I'd print this out and notate all the actions it says with dates you did it. I'd save all your call logs and highlight each call as well. Use the documentation to file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office in your state.

What you're experiencing definitely seems fishy. And persistence is a common tool as well that many people don't expect. If they keep calling you, they must be legit right? No. Also, if you do know this person, have them check their credit report for contact information just in case it is legitimate.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have the latest version of chrome on my phone and an updated pop-up blocker. It's still able to get around my blocker and redirect me to other sites.
Until something is done I can't open stratics on my phone as the malicious ads make viewing impossible.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Note. If someone else get a Pop-up from Fake Facebook or Amazon or Google in Here DO NOT PRESS OK or anything else.
Yeah I noticed that too.. been happening all week
It's still able to get around my blocker and redirect me to other sites.
Until something is done I can't open stratics on my phone as the malicious ads make viewing impossible.
Luckily folks there's a solution to your problem, can all be found here :D

Subscribe.png
Click here -> https://stratics.com/index.php?account/upgrades <-
*This was a non-paid advertisement from Stratics :p

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have the latest version of chrome on my phone and an updated pop-up blocker. It's still able to get around my blocker and redirect me to other sites.
So what’s happening is some of the ad networks that use Google Adsense to distribute their ads have been compromised. Which networks? No one is 100% sure who they all are.

I’m blocking specific ad vendors as I can identify them.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
so even if i pay 5 per month i only get 1 month without ad? that suck ***** my friend hehe