• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Impact of vet reward changes

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure what the dev team was hoping to accomplish with the changes to vet rewards, but at least in my case the changes have had a negative effect (for their bottom line).

I don't play very often, but I have kept my accounts open with the intent of returning (or being able to return) at some point in the future. Part of the reason that I keep my accounts open during times when I am not playing has been to continue to accumulate my veteran status. I have always viewed it as every month that I don't subscribe is a month that I can never recover in veteran status. I knew that if I stopped my subscription, that would put me behind the oldest accounts and I might not be able to get a very cool high-end vet reward.

With the recent changes, I no longer have any motivation to keep my accounts open. If a new vet reward comes out and my account is not old enough, I can just buy the reward from someone else. Problem solved and I didn't waste my real money on unplayed months. While this might be a good thing for me, I can't imagine that it is the effect they were looking for.

At least in my case, I think the previous vet reward system was doing exactly what it was intended to do. Now that it has been nerfed, I will only pay for my secondary accounts frequently enough to keep my houses standing and the rest of the months will be less money in EA's pocket and more in mine.

I am curious if anyone else feels the same way and is now less likely to keep accounts open. I think changes to the stat and skill cap were overdue, but some of the reward items should have remained exclusive to older accounts. Maybe it is just me, but I feel like they caved in to the vocal message board crowd wanting access to all the rewards, but didn't fully consider the detrimental effect it could have to the financial health of the game.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't paid much attention to the new changes but I do like the 720 for all change. Was no reason at all to penalize new players with less skills.

What other changes were made to the higher rewards?

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm honestly not even slightly bothered - I can't see how I lose by anyone else being able to use the things other vets trade, give away, or sell.

The mounts, shed, and shard transfer shields should be vet only.
Since the useful function of the shield, the transfer tokens, are already account bound then effectively it is vet only. I don't read the thoughts about making vet rewards 'useable' to younger accounts changing the 'account bound' status of the tokens.

Last edited:

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, again they listen to the vocal minority, just like every other time.. This will most likely end it for me, I left my account aging so that I could claim the rewards. even tho I stopped playing for 8ish years, I paid my monthly fee and came for visits. Now it seems I spent close to 2 Grand for no reason at all, I could have simply come back, bought Gold from some duper and be able to use what I paid to wait for. I totally missed that little blurb in there... Hopefully Mesanna sees the reality and wakes up before its implemented... So sick to my stomach right now.. Thanks for ruining my day.. Ignorance is bliss

Btw, I left because AoS and the move to be like every other game on the block using item based gameplay. It killed the community as much or more than the introduction of Trammel. This will be another step in making our game just like every other boring game that exists...

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
take a look at the emptiness of the servers, people. anything that in any way that could attract new people im all for it.
Veteran rewards are not meant to attract new players, but to keep the players you already have. In my case, the existing system has been enough to keep me paying for a game that I otherwise wouldn't. I don't think the accessibility of veteran rewards has anything to do with attracting new people to the game.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, again they listen to the vocal minority, just like every other time.. This will most likely end it for me, I left my account aging so that I could claim the rewards. even tho I stopped playing for 8ish years, I paid my monthly fee and came for visits. Now it seems I spent close to 2 Grand for no reason at all, I could have simply come back, bought Gold from some duper and be able to use what I paid to wait for

So you kept paying for a game you don't play for nearly a decade so that you could accumulate little pixel status symbols that you will only on rare occasions show off? I could have told you that was wasted money 8 years ago.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no problem with it really. It was kinda neat being one of the only one riding a polar bear but on the other hand if I wanted to sell it... I was kinda out of luck. It's not a big deal to me. Then again I never kept accounts open to get vet rewards, so obviously I don't value them as much.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the totally opposite. New players should not be forced to wait for ten years to use some of the useful items. That is too discouraging, and I think it puts more people off than it keeps vets paying. They still cant claim a garden shed or polar bear etc and how many very old vets will sell their high vet rewards to newcomers? I certainly wont sell my Boura. But im very pleased new players can use dye tubs seed boxes and all that stuff that the new people need as much as vets. I never had to wait much more than a year for anything. Thats how long the ethys existed before I was old enough. Even less for leather dye tub. The runebook dye tub was the pain as I was a very active shribe, and it was hard to compete with other vendors selling pretty rune books while mine were dull brown. Just because I had to wait doesnt mean I wish the same for other players.
If the lands were cluttered with houses and the people standing on eachothers toes, it could maybe be a good idea to show newcomers they will never reach our levels, but as it is , we need them or we can wave goodbye to our fancy rewards when UO ends.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You all are losing the point and the OP is off base...:)
1. etheys: I never got the reason they were age related its a ride period not a fighting force... (which the dev should take off the Slot count btw)
2. Dye Tubs... age for use was stupid and they are fixing it. so no trouble here.
3. Statues and deco is a moot thing... age for use?? this was ludeicris now getting it off the list is another story...

Shard shield and a few other items I do think should remain Age in Rewards use bound. Sorry guys... I agree with the dev on this one.
Shard shields are a whole different kettle of fish.
I have watched over the years when rewards first came out how people who quit soon found out that the Rewards were selling for $$ in rl...
Do you know how many accounts were taken back from others they were sold to or given?
Just to get their hands on the rewards to sell for money...

Its shamefull to see people reduce their thinking down to cash in hand...

The real reason many bitched was not the use but the ability to SELL the item in question.... They wanted to get and sell them.... poor babys had no way to make hundreds of mills that a shield would fetch in sale .... look at the seed boxes or the davies locker.... they sell for over 30 mill or more depending on shard.... and with the idoc's that is a lot of hen scratch they would possibly make....

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think at this point all vet rewards should be useable by players after 1 yr, whether they sell for real cash is another point.I'm sure just about everything in the game is for sale,everything has price.after so many yrs, Sorry but I'd like some friggen shard shields!!! You wanna reward vets? 10% discount cumulative off cost of the game every year up to say 50-60%

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you kept paying for a game you don't play for nearly a decade so that you could accumulate little pixel status symbols that you will only on rare occasions show off? I could have told you that was wasted money 8 years ago.
Actually no, I kept the account open for several reasons, but that was one. I also had hope that the direction would change, and that the powers that be would quit listening to the crybabies. I also kept the account open to support a friend and a memory.

Your assumptions about what I care about are quite funny, it's evidence that you don't know me. And it's highly doubtful that you could have old me anything after AoS went live, I simply was not listening.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So now Shard Shields will no longer be account bound ? They can be transferred to other accounts other than those that claimed them ?

While I can agree that many Veteran Rewards should be usable by all age accounts (and many already are...), I think that at least some Veteran Rewards should remain restricted to a given account active age so as to be seen as an achievement, a milestone reached.

I do not like the idea that a brand new player can simply buy all Veteran Rewards they may want. Many I am ok with, but just not all of them. Some should remain restricted to particular account active ages (basically as it was before the changes announced...).

So, I think I do not like the announced changes or at least not as they have been announced.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well just give vets more picks....ie after 10 years u get 3 and afyer 15 years u get 4 a year......Hey lets be honest the shard shields are very overpowering...i love em....being able to hop shard to shard for free ......i think this is actualy what broke the camels back with the vet system......as they are game changing items!!!! the ability to transfer for free...its blody awesome...whle others buy tokens for real cash or 50-55m....LOL....They give me a huge advantage over joe blogs.....so hey let joe blogs use em too.....the lands are getting emptier and a little incenditve like this will sure keep the players that are playing now..and also may kickstart some older players that have left to return and maybe hop aroun the shards and settle somewere else....

just give the vets...a few extra picks to keep em sweet....thats me!!

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey, I'd been gone for a good year and a half up until 2 months ago. I keep my accounts (2) open so that my houses don't fall. One is my guild tower, and that's just a sacred trust, the other is my own house. Both of which full of rares. I got a tent deed on the roof of the tower that would just go poof. It was never about rl cash for me. It was about my UO history and Atl's UO history. So I came back with like 5 vet reward picks on my 15 yo main account. Now, I've never been ridiculously UO rich. When I played steady, I only made money from hunting, and it only amounted to maybe 10 mil across 12 characters. I came back after SA came out and made like 75 mil off of house teleporters before they offered them on the origin store. That was pretty nice. But now I've made like 400 mil selling 2 garden sheds, and I could feasibly sell 2 more if I wanted. Now, vilify me all you want, but by god I like to go on shopping sprees, and in my UO retirement, I should be able to spend willy nilly on whatever I want, and selling a few vet rewards is no skin off my teeth

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So now Shard Shields will no longer be account bound ? They can be transferred to other accounts other than those that claimed them ?

While I can agree that many Veteran Rewards should be usable by all age accounts (and many already are...), I think that at least some Veteran Rewards should remain restricted to a given account active age so as to be seen as an achievement, a milestone reached.

I do not like the idea that a brand new player can simply buy all Veteran Rewards they may want. Many I am ok with, but just not all of them. Some should remain restricted to particular account active ages (basically as it was before the changes announced...).

So, I think I do not like the announced changes or at least not as they have been announced.

There was nothing said about shields being used by anyone else. They would necessarily stay tied to an account, since an account needs sufficient age to get a particular reward.

I'm for this change to rewards. There are benefits for newer UO players, who can't number too many, but there's a lot of benefit for old-time veterans who have newer accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if this is EA's idea, to encourage people to open new accounts or at least keep some open.

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hey, I'd been gone for a good year and a half up until 2 months ago. I keep my accounts (2) open so that my houses don't fall. One is my guild tower, and that's just a sacred trust, the other is my own house. Both of which full of rares. I got a tent deed on the roof of the tower that would just go poof. It was never about rl cash for me. It was about my UO history and Atl's UO history. So I came back with like 5 vet reward picks on my 15 yo main account. Now, I've never been ridiculously UO rich. When I played steady, I only made money from hunting, and it only amounted to maybe 10 mil across 12 characters. I came back after SA came out and made like 75 mil off of house teleporters before they offered them on the origin store. That was pretty nice. But now I've made like 400 mil selling 2 garden sheds, and I could feasibly sell 2 more if I wanted. Now, vilify me all you want, but by god I like to go on shopping sprees, and in my UO retirement, I should be able to spend willy nilly on whatever I want, and selling a few vet rewards is no skin off my teeth

That's absolutely right.

And if you want to sell me a Garden Shed or a Transfer Shield Token for 200M then I should be able to use it...regardless of my account age.

No items in game should be useable by some and not others. If a player can get their hands on an item then by god they should be able to use it.

Furthermore, they should sell Veteran Tokens at the gamestore to generate more revenue for Ultima Online.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, again they listen to the vocal minority, just like every other time.. This will most likely end it for me, I left my account aging so that I could claim the rewards. even tho I stopped playing for 8ish years, I paid my monthly fee and came for visits. Now it seems I spent close to 2 Grand for no reason at all, I could have simply come back, bought Gold from some duper and be able to use what I paid to wait for. I totally missed that little blurb in there... Hopefully Mesanna sees the reality and wakes up before its implemented... So sick to my stomach right now.. Thanks for ruining my day.. Ignorance is bliss

Btw, I left because AoS and the move to be like every other game on the block using item based gameplay. It killed the community as much or more than the introduction of Trammel. This will be another step in making our game just like every other boring game that exists...
Actually no, I kept the account open for several reasons, but that was one. I also had hope that the direction would change, and that the powers that be would quit listening to the crybabies. I also kept the account open to support a friend and a memory.

Your assumptions about what I care about are quite funny, it's evidence that you don't know me. And it's highly doubtful that you could have old me anything after AoS went live, I simply was not listening.
By your statement Uvtha made the right choice and had to ASSUME NOTHING. You stated that "I left my account aging so that I could claim the rewards." and gave no other reason at all for keeping them open. I guess we are suppose to be mind readers here also.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh Frodo, you little troll, welcome to the thread...

My first post did say that yes, but we usually stay for many reasons. Friendships, property, memories, items.. Pick which you will, but one of the major reasons is account age for vet rewards.
I could have juggled my account every 80ish days, but the carrot that the Devs dangled in the form of high end vet rewards kept it open full time. Hence my aversion to the subject at hand.

But thanks for your troll none the less, at least you remain constant.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1st year has horses already and before is chargers..not sure why ethos can be grouped down to make them more easily attainable..doesn't make sense to allow all ages..ok claim the shed at 15 but anyone can use..that's good because it allows vets to sell to say a 3rd year player..but I always looked at ethys as a benefit..not because my polar bear is cooler or more useful than a charger..it just shows further dedication to paying your sub..for a lengthier amount if time..don't get the change but I guess whatever lol

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shard shields should remain only obtainable and usable by 14 year vets. They are a very nice and appropriate token of appreciation that serve as deco and transportation.

They will lose all of their special meaning if they become usable to everyone.

Basically a slap in the face of all players that have played/payed for so long.

Who decided that after so many years we are going to completely invalidate the entire vet reward system?
Because that is what this would do.
Its not about gold. 14 year vets should have as much gold as they could ever want. Its about receiving a very special item as a token of appreciation.

I guess the 'have nots' have been crying the loudest though so this is what it has come down to :(

I definitely wont quit but for sure will deactivate at least one account that was just kinda for support and acquiring the rewards.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who asked for shard shields? oh wait the already rich rares collectors that could move EM items free and quickly from other shards to ATL to get the big bucks, the worst decision ever, and the final straw for a player like me, I quit after and only come here to read how much worse the game is getting, a real shame..........

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Shards Shields are the most unbalancing item in the game. They allow those who have them to manipulate the UO Economy.

Interesting reading the posts of the "yeah I'm okay with a,b,c veteran rewards but not shard shields!" Gee why is that?

I'll tell you why....No item in the game provides more of an advantage in the history of Ultima Online. We don't want a level playing field in Ultima Online that wouldn't be par for the course. :rolleyes:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've certainly left accounts open because I knew they were at least heading towards another vet reward while I was absent. If I had time to play then I'd pop in. If not, well I was up another month towards the next reward. I used to curse times when I had to close accounts and lose that time. LOL! Now I'm actually damn glad I didn't pay when I wasn't playing. I certainly won't in future.

Now, there is no reason for a player to have their accounts open except for the months when they need to refresh their home. If you're a very casual player like myself, it's quite easy to then drop those houses and be more flexible in your playing time. And that makes it much easier for that player to drift away somewhere else. So EA have players giving them less money and possibly moving on from UO. When UO really could do with more players, not less.

Wenchy

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So your saying ALL accounts that have Shard Shields are big time Event gods with tons of items that are sent to Atl for a quick buck??
*Cough*
*Cough*
Let me tell you of the fight when the Real sellers in UO bitched a blue streak to get the Dev to make them useable by ALL and Sellable to all...
Cause their accounts were too young to get any anyother way.
As one who has them... let me let you in on something..
oh I do use my shields to move things all right... and yes some are event items but all are things I bought for my Museum.
Or take to the Rare fest... 99% of any move I do is usually suits or stuff my son makes for my characters by his 120 tailor and 120 imbuer.
I have even used it to send skills of 1 character to another and so forth to move needed to a secondary shard for having a bit of balance.
And I am not the only person who uses theirs this way.
How dare you lump us up as villain in your minds rants.
I do not think the shields are the main threat to UO's playing field.
The threat is and always has been greed.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shard shields should remain only obtainable and usable by 14 year vets. They are a very nice and appropriate token of appreciation that serve as deco and transportation.

They will lose all of their special meaning if they become usable to everyone.

Basically a slap in the face of all players that have played/payed for so long.

Who decided that after so many years we are going to completely invalidate the entire vet reward system?
Because that is what this would do.
Its not about gold. 14 year vets should have as much gold as they could ever want. Its about receiving a very special item as a token of appreciation.

I guess the 'have nots' have been crying the loudest though so this is what it has come down to :(

I definitely wont quit but for sure will deactivate at least one account that was just kinda for support and acquiring the rewards.
I couldn't agree more. Vet rewards are precisely that, a reward for paying $120 per year.

When the rewards came out, I got five transfer shields, and seven sets of teleporter tiles to network house. It's the least EA could do for having received well into five figures for "just a game," and I don't have anywhere near the number of accounts Storm does.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shards Shields are the most unbalancing item in the game. They allow those who have them to manipulate the UO Economy.

Interesting reading the posts of the "yeah I'm okay with a,b,c veteran rewards but not shard shields!" Gee why is that?

I'll tell you why....No item in the game provides more of an advantage in the history of Ultima Online. We don't want a level playing field in Ultima Online that wouldn't be par for the course. :rolleyes:

Nonsense. Like in real life, low transportation costs benefit everyone -- everyone except those who have a lock on a local economy and wish to keep it. Transfer shields in fact equalize economies by allowing players to bring back items that were too expensive or simply unavailable on their home shards. It's irrelevant whether players do that for their own use or to sell the items, although reselling the items by definition would benefit buyers. At the very least, it's offering another item for sale, and it's likely the price would be lower than what's already asked on the home shard.

When I visit other shards to go shopping, one of my favorites is an archdemon statues. They're never for sale on my home shard, that I see, but I find them on Japanese shards. I can also pick up scrolls that I might not see on my home shard, or perhaps there's one for more gold than I'm willing to pay. How is this not a level playing field? I'm getting what I want, for a lower price. Others bring back riches from other shards that may have never been seen on their own.

So you can keep paying until you reach 14 years, and you'll get the boon for having paid so much in subscription fees.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to resist the urge to wade back into this muck but....

I take some breaks from the game but always keep my accounts paid up for vet status (and houses). Since houses can be refreshed every 90 days and vet status doesn't confer anything special anymore I might as well pay as I play, instead of paying every month. I've already consolidated some my items into a few houses and outright cancelled three accounts and dropped their houses, now I'll start rotating out my other accounts. I don't think this change is going to attract new players and I doubt young players who were thinking of quitting are suddenly going to be committed to the game. So unless they start selling VET status on the store (wouldn't surprise me) I think they will probably lose money - not a lot, but in a slowly dieing game, every subscription/dollar helps. *shrugs* Just my two cents.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to resist the urge to wade back into this muck but....

I take some breaks from the game but always keep my accounts paid up for vet status (and houses). Since houses can be refreshed every 90 days and vet status doesn't confer anything special anymore I might as well pay as I play, instead of paying every month. I've already consolidated some my items into a few houses and outright cancelled three accounts and dropped their houses, now I'll start rotating out my other accounts. I don't think this change is going to attract new players and I doubt young players who were thinking of quitting are suddenly going to be committed to the game. So unless they start selling VET status on the store (wouldn't surprise me) I think they will probably lose money - not a lot, but in a slowly dieing game, every subscription/dollar helps. *shrugs* Just my two cents.
Well said.

There is no possible way that changing vet rewards will add players to the game. New or prospective players were never looking around saying this game is great but im gonna quit because I don't have a boura or shard shield.

The only people with vet reward issues are the already addicted pixel item addicts who just cant stand not having everything. And no way they are going to give up their addiction over a couple of vet rewards. They will just continue to whine while stockpiling billions of easily obtained gold.

Nope. Devaluing the highest vet rewards will only cause people like myself to pare down accounts. No reason anymore to hold onto all those extra old accounts while taking the slap in the face.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't know you. I can only comment on the things you post. The only reason you listed for keeping your account active was the vet rewards. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

As for crybabies... I honestly didn't hear much crying about it. I'm hearing more crying about this change than I ever did about vet rewards being universal. Honestly though, its just a status symbol, who cares?

Last edited:

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly though, its just a status symbol, who cares?
Many products in the free-world are purchased and valued because they are rare and/or a status symbol...why would a video game be any different? And just like the real world, a status symbol ceases to be a status symbol when everyone has one. Not saying it's right, but that's the world most of us live in.

And I'm not whining...this change just saved me $45 a month by getting rid of any incentive to keep three of my accounts active. Thank you EA!

Last edited:

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't paid much attention to the new changes but I do like the 720 for all change. Was no reason at all to penalize new players with less skills.

What other changes were made to the higher rewards?
It wasn't penalizing new players with less skill. It's not like you created an account and got a -20 points you had to work off. This was a bonus given to players who spent a long time in the game, as recognition that they spent a long time in the game. It seems that a lot of people saw what some had achieved with time and money spent and immediately wanted that for themselves, without having to spend the time or money.

You know, Bill Gates has a lot of money. I think I should have that much too. But I want mine without putting in any time or effort.

It is after all, totally unfair to me that he has more than me, even though he spent the time and effort to get it. .....Something wrong with that argument.

As for the rest of the stuff, what exactly makes them a "Veteran Reward" after this? Is it just the ability to claim it?

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many products in the free-world are purchased and valued because they are rare and/or a status symbol...why would a video game be any different? And just like the real world, a status symbol ceases to be a status symbol when everyone has one. Not saying it's right, but that's the world most of us live in.

Well I feel the same way about status symbols in real life. But in real life everyone can earn a status symbol.

It's not like they are removing the age limit to PICK a reward, there won't be any more of these items, they just will no longer be locked off from large portions of the economy. They will still be status symbols, but now more for reason of desirability not inaccessibility.

I personally look at it as a benefit to long time vets like myself. What if someone wants to pay me 100 million for some stupid mount? Before I couldn't choose what I wanted to do with my vet picks. Now I can sell them freely, if I so choose.

And honestly are people really going to see someone on a Boura and think "Ohhh, I they had better be a 14 year vet!". You have no way of even knowing that person is not old enough to pick it.

Last edited:

Galluccio

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only reason why I haven't missed a month of paying in 15 years is for the veteran rewards. I've told people I've quit before but I always paid the account. It would be a huge mistake to let anyone use the rewards.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wasn't penalizing new players with less skill. It's not like you created an account and got a -20 points you had to work off. This was a bonus given to players who spent a long time in the game, as recognition that they spent a long time in the game. It seems that a lot of people saw what some had achieved with time and money spent and immediately wanted that for themselves, without having to spend the time or money.

You know, Bill Gates has a lot of money. I think I should have that much too. But I want mine without putting in any time or effort.

It is after all, totally unfair to me that he has more than me, even though he spent the time and effort to get it. .....Something wrong with that argument.

As for the rest of the stuff, what exactly makes them a "Veteran Reward" after this? Is it just the ability to claim it?

Except that this is a game, and there are no real world consequences, and what we really should all want is for everyone to have fun and feel like they are on equal footing from the get go. Thats how I feel anyway. I for one am glad everyone can now run a 6x 120 if they so please.

As for your Bill Gates analogy it would be more apropos if bill gates belonged to a class that were the only ones ALLOWED to have a lot of money. Not that they have it. Would you be ok with not being allowed to make a lot of money no matter how hard you worked or how well you did because you were not 60 (or however many) years old? Because thats how vet rewards are now. You will still have to "earn" them, either though gold or trade or friendship or what have you.

I see no downside here other than the hurt feelings people have because its more important for them to feel privileged than for the game to be equitable.

As for vet rewards I think they were a bad idea in the first place, anyway. They cause silly fusses like this one.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only reason why I haven't missed a month of paying in 15 years is for the veteran rewards. I've told people I've quit before but I always paid the account. It would be a huge mistake to let anyone use the rewards.

But would the mistake be on your part or on the designers part? I think this change will make far more people happy than angry. That includes many of us who are 15+ year vets.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to save yourselves the typing, just go read the last locked thread on this topic...we're all saying the same things again. I knew I was going to regret getting into this thread.

Both sides have valid points and dismissing anyone's point of view or telling them how they should feel about this matter is quite __________ (insert your favorite word here) And no I'm not pointing fingers, I'm as guilty as anyone.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except that this is a game, and there are no real world consequences
This quit being a game the moment someone (any one of us) paid $9.95 to Electronic Arts for the monthly subscription. At that time it became a real world business transaction with real world customer/client relationships and real world consequences.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1st year has horses already and before is chargers..not sure why ethos can be grouped down to make them more easily attainable..doesn't make sense to allow all ages..ok claim the shed at 15 but anyone can use..that's good because it allows vets to sell to say a 3rd year player..but I always looked at ethys as a benefit..not because my polar bear is cooler or more useful than a charger..it just shows further dedication to paying your sub..for a lengthier amount if time..don't get the change but I guess whatever lol

In an earlier thread I posted a comment on exactly this issue about chargers and vet reward ethys. At no time, as I recall, did anyone suggest players younger than three years be able to ride polar bears or other higher level mounts.
The issue was economic, thusly: At the time chargers were selling for 6 to 9 million depending on which shard you played, but third year ethys were selling for around 3 to 3,5 million. Why should a younger player be forced to spend two to three times what a vet spends on virtually the same thing? By the way, since that original discussion chargers now regularly sell for 8 to 12 million while vet ethys are commonly sold for 4 and 5 million.

Again, the issue wasn't about what the ethy looked like, but the cost penalty imposed on players with new accounts.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In an earlier thread I posted a comment on exactly this issue about chargers and vet reward ethys. At no time, as I recall, did anyone suggest players younger than three years be able to ride polar bears or other higher level mounts.
The issue was economic, thusly: At the time chargers were selling for 6 to 9 million depending on which shard you played, but third year ethys were selling for around 3 to 3,5 million. Why should a younger player be forced to spend two to three times what a vet spends on virtually the same thing? By the way, since that original discussion chargers now regularly sell for 8 to 12 million while vet ethys are commonly sold for 4 and 5 million.

Again, the issue wasn't about what the ethy looked like, but the cost penalty imposed on players with new accounts.
It's because they aren't available in game..which is why ethy horses was a good addition to first year rewards! But again I personally think a 3rd year player shouldn't be riding a boura ethy..it doesn't change the game..but it shows dedication..the issue of young players has been addressed..and should stay that way

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's because they aren't available in game..which is why ethy horses was a good addition to first year rewards! But again I personally think a 3rd year player shouldn't be riding a boura ethy..it doesn't change the game..but it shows dedication..the issue of young players has been addressed..and should stay that way

Agreed, All that was necessary was the horse at first year. The other ethys were not relevant to solving the issue.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I feel the same way about status symbols in real life. But in real life everyone can earn a status symbol.

It's not like they are removing the age limit to PICK a reward, there won't be any more of these items, they just will no longer be locked off from large portions of the economy. They will still be status symbols, but now more for reason of desirability not inaccessibility.

I personally look at it as a benefit to long time vets like myself. What if someone wants to pay me 100 million for some stupid mount? Before I couldn't choose what I wanted to do with my vet picks. Now I can sell them freely, if I so choose.

And honestly are people really going to see someone on a Boura and think "Ohhh, I they had better be a 14 year vet!". You have no way of even knowing that person is not old enough to pick it.
How is it a benefit to 14 year vets? Makes no sense at all.

You can make gold selling your 14 year boura right now. And you can also make gold using your shard shield to xfer items right now.

You are truly clueless if you think any other 14 and 15 year vets really need a larger market to sell their bouras. Assuming you really are a 14 year vet.
The way you are talking I seriously wonder...

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This quit being a game the moment someone (any one of us) paid $9.95 to Electronic Arts for the monthly subscription. At that time it became a real world business transaction with real world customer/client relationships and real world consequences.
No bud. It is still a game.

You paid x amount of dollars to buy a monopoly set also.
Does that also have rl consequences when you are playing it? And I definitely would pass on playing Modern Warfare with you lol.

Nice job with the totally off base Bill Gates analogy though lol.

But since you obviously cannot understand the rl concept of vet rewards I will explain it in easy to understand terms just for you.

Employee A works for a large company for 10 years. The next paycheck he receives has a nice little longevity bonus in it (happens almost everywhere bud. I have received a couple longevity bonuses myself)
Employee B works juts as hard as employee A at that same company but on that same payday he does not receive a bonus as he has only worked there for 7 years.
Does employee B whine and cry that he is being treated unfairly or ask the company to change their bonus policy? Nope.
And yes, some companies give out unique items instead of cash.

That's rl bud. You brought it up, not me.

Galluccio

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But would the mistake be on your part or on the designers part? I think this change will make far more people happy than angry. That includes many of us who are 15+ year vets.

If you want to tick off your most loyal customers, this would be the perfect way to do it.

Frankly, I find your post offensive.

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You quite obviously were not around when I insta-killed about a billion people with my event Blood Pact axe and the brand new necro spell Pain Spike. It was an event item and the only one on Chessy at the time.

Newsflash:
nobody is manipulating anything with shard shields. The only thing that seems to be getting manipulated is your common sense.

Galluccio

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My account is 189 Months old, and I'm proud of that. Having a special mount that loyal customers can only ride isn't going to hurt anyone.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I honestly have no idea WTF all the uproar is about. I enjoy my rewards when I get them... I also like to sell them when I don't need them or when I need a few million on some shard other than my home shard...

WTF do I care if the person I'm selling them to is only a 2 or 3 year vet and they want a set of Teleporter tiles? BIG FREAKING DEAL. It ain't hurting me if they have them. I'm not losing any sleep over it... they are a very nice addition to the Game... and hell if he don't want to pay what I want to sell them for he can always go buy the pink ones from EA/Origin... for that matter they can buy a Charger and green soulstones too..... and so can I.... again who cares. Honestly...

I remember hating it that I worked my fingers to the bone to finally GM tailoring only to realize it would suck to try to sell my wares on a vendor when I couldn't even get or use a leather dye tub to make them look all nice like the other people always did on their vendors... the idea of waiting 1 or 2 years to be able to make a few gold selling nice suits really sucked. Kinda like when I learned that I wasn't ever going to be able to place anywhere because the land was full and nothing ever fell.. and the smallest tower cost 5 million in gold.... something that seemed impossible to get.

Why make the game less fun and more painful to play? Why turn people off by restricting them enjoying the game??? Just because you think you earned something by your years of play.... well yes we all did it's 2 picks a year after so many years... that's what we earn... while they get 1.... so what...

And I must remind most you whinny ass little crybabies who think they need to be having the good stuff for themselves because you think you earned some badge of honor for your 15+ years.... without young new players.... we won't last another 15+ years. So pin that on your rear end...

And finally... MANY folk who have returned to UO having put in 10 years before can't get their old accounts back because either they sold them, gave them to friends or can't remember the information anymore to restart their account and going thru the EA customer service nightmare and wasting 3 to 5 hours of their life on hold doesn't appeal to them.... so they start a new account.... now why should they be penalized??? They had a 10 year account..... and would yet if EA wasn't such a steaming pile of dog biscuits.... and actually built an account system that worked... and had customer service that was actually helpful...

This conversation gets as stupid and all together out of control just as much as the UO is dying conversations that pop up every 2 or 3 months/weeks...

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Vet rewards should stay usable to only that age.
If you are going to disregard this, why not make it that once you hit 1 yr you can choose ANY vet reward, but make it so every year you get one more pick. 1st year gets one pick, 2nd year gets 2 picks, 3rd year 3. Up to 10.
Then people will still be able to sell their picks, trade or what have you, but the vets feel they get rewarded still.
Otherwise there is no point to me making sure my account ages, I would just need to scrape up enough gold to buy whatever vet pick i wanted and be done with it....

Last edited: