• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I think We need Dwarf race

Do you eventually want a Drawf race in UO?

• Total voters
F

Farscape

The way PvP is they can be the dwarf race lol
:gun::gun::gun::gun:

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So was going to McRonald's fast food joint, and meeting Richard Garriot in the Computer Camp on Neptune. So was visiting the Hotel California in New San Antonio. So was driving around in an Air Car and having space dogfights. So was running around in a suit of chainmail while wielding a phaser.

In case you haven't noticed, the "lore" from the first three Ultimas was COMPLETELY STUPID and except for the existence of the major badguys, every game afterwards completely ignored all that nonsense.

By the time Britannia first became "the world" in Ultima 4, with the eight virtues and all the familiar cities and dungeons, the elves and fuzzies and bobbits had been dropped in the trash alongside the space rockets and blasters.

Anyway, I'm done arguing over something the developers have explicitly stated will never happen.

C

Coppelia

No thank you, elves were enough...
If you want to go all Tolkien rip-off, there are Tolkien's licences, and D&D's ones too.
I don't care about Ultima saga yada yada, medieval/renaissance aspect of UO was what brought me in. Not Bobbits or Fuzzies.

U

ultima online

No thank you, elves were enough...
If you want to go all Tolkien rip-off, there are Tolkien's licences, and D&D's ones too.
I don't care about Ultima saga yada yada, medieval/renaissance aspect of UO was what brought me in. Not Bobbits or Fuzzies.
not the purple llamas? :(

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The two options voting FOR Dwarves have in total about 10 less votes than the nay-sayers. Considering how this is about Dwarves, all I have to say is this game needs MORE STUFF in it at this time.

Now, everything a Dwarf can do as they are portrayed in other lore, a Gargoyle can do better in UO's world and lore.

That said I'm all for variety so I voted "Yes, if they are balanced.".. I have nothing against short, filthy, drunk smelly bar brawlers and cave dwellers with a Scottish accent and annoying manners.......
......... :hahaha:

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
um if i rmember correctly the first time i played ultima my party had a dwarf and a Bobbit! not part of the lore my shiny metal arse.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again Dwarves made an apperance after Ultima III. They also showed up in Ultima Underworld, the Stygian Abyss.

But again, Id rather see Meer and Juka as playable races. That was what UO2 was going to be based on. But it got scrapped to make way for War.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, UO2 got canned YEARS AND YEARS before the Warhammer MMO was even thought of.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so lore can change does not mean they can't eventually be a future part of UO lore.
It CAN change, but why change it. If you like boring completly standard fantasy races... D&D online, or WOW are quite popular.

UO might as well do its best to capitalize on what makes it different rather than trying to try to become like the others, because in no way can it compete in the modern market.

On top of all that, I always thought dwarves were one of the stupidest fantasy "races" ever devised. Oh look! Short, hairy, surly, drunks who live underground, have a bludgeon fetish, and for some bizarre reason when rped are 99% Scottish. I fail to see the appeal.

I hate them more than elves I realize, and I didn't even know that was possible.

Dwarves = fail.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gargoyles fit the role just fine, seriously. They are as good at crafting as fighting.. Same thing basically, only they are much cooler as a race. And definitely look better.

Those of you arguing Dwarves did exist, realise they may have also gone extinct in our version of Ultima reality. Hopefully along with the Bobbits. Think about it, races come and go in Warhammer(the TT version anyway).. I don't see anyone fretting over it.

And there was this NO DWARVES! banner at the first meeting during which SA was mentioned, right? :next:

O

Old Man of UO

NO!! Absolutely NOT!

I am opposed to such things as Dwarf Races, Dwarf Tossing and Dwarf Bashing in general. What's next... dressing up Elves as Pixies for mundane amusement? Hobit polo? Gnome jumping? The things people think of to debase other races, enjoying humiliating "lesser" races. I know, it's funny to see the little buggers running along and suddenly trip over their own two feet, while the rowdy audience bets on who wont get stabbed by their own short sword. It's all fun and games until we need world saved from Sauron.

Sure, sure... Gandalf can toss fireballs and block swift arrows with his mighty staff, and defeated the dread Balron all by himself, and became Gandalf the White. All high and mighty he is, but when it comes right down to saving all of Middle Earth, it really was Gollum who accidentally banished the One Ring into the fires of Mordor. Gollum who showed Frodo the way to salvation when he gave into the spell of the Ring at the end.

It's not all about the "true races" who rule the world, but the "little folk" who do the work that the all high and mighty can't or won't. It's the little people we should be celebrating and holding on high as our true saviors, the hard workers who craft our swords and armor, and saved our butts from evil when men of Gondor refused to answer the calls for help from the rest of Middle Earth.

I say, "Leave poor Gimli alone," and no races.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Screw Middle Earth. Gandalf was a newb who couldn't even gate Frodo to Mount Doom.

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
making playable races was a very bad idea, and adding more is an even worse idea..... unless the new race is a talking pony, that would be sweet!:love:

talking pony ? yes :lol (joking)

and...oh no ! no dwarfs ; no need to make UO ridiculous
(I don't even like the idea of gargoyles -but that's just my opinion...)

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again Dwarves made an apperance after Ultima III. They also showed up in Ultima Underworld, the Stygian Abyss.

But again, Id rather see Meer and Juka as playable races. That was what UO2 was going to be based on. But it got scrapped to make way for War.
See this sort of argument I can agree with. I would rather see more unique UO races like gargoyles, meer, and juka but people who say Dwarves don't belong in UO are just ignorant. As for the argument that dwarves are too generic, should we also remove orcs and dragons from UO since those are generic fantasy monsters as well?