• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I think We need Dwarf race

Do you eventually want a Drawf race in UO?

• Total voters
L

Lore Master

I am sure this has been requested a lot but i really believe that eventually one day we should get a Drawf race with a future upgrade. i know we are getting gargoyles with stygian abyss when ever it comes out and i think thats great the more races the better in my opinon.
  • Well anyway if this ever happens which i really hope it does it should be an upgrade that comes sometime after stygian abyss of course what do you think? i am making this a poll so please vote or comment or both thanks

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ugh...

Its already been stated in several places that if Stygian Abyss Expansion ever DOES get released Gargoyles will be introduced. Dwarves have no place in UO...end of story.

L

Lore Master

Ugh...

Its already been stated in several places that if Stygian Abyss Expansion ever DOES get released Gargoyles will be introduced. Dwarves have no place in UO...end of story.
so lore can change does not mean they can't eventually be a future part of UO lore.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have been playing over 7 years i don't remember that was it in fel or something?
No, it was the flamewars that erupted on the boards when some people (myself included) mistakenly read into the hints and clues that dwarves were going to introduced into the next expansion and tried to defend the idea against the irate majority. All was resolved when the devs put forth an amusing "no dwarves" logo up at a town hall and gargoyle concept art was presented.

I'm still wiping egg off my face for that one.

L

Lore Master

No, it was the flamewars that erupted on the boards when some people (myself included) mistakenly read into the hints and clues that dwarves were going to introduced into the next expansion and tried to defend the idea against the irate majority. All was resolved when the devs put forth an amusing "no dwarves" logo up at a town hall and gargoyle concept art was presented.

I'm still wiping egg off my face for that one.
oh ok i was not a member of the forums then i just hope the Devs might reconsider this i think it would add more variety and a spark to uo. like i was syaing before it may not be in UO lore now but not everything in Uo was originally UO lore so things do change.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why dwarves though? In recent years there has been a push to restore the uniqueness and consistency UO's internal mythology, to try to make it different from "stock fantasy". Dwarves have no history in UO - like the elves they would have to pop out of a stretched reference to ancient Ultima stories. Would it not make more sense to pick an existing "monster" race in the game and elevate it to player-character status?

(I see that this poll has an interesting number of "yes" votes, so there is some interest ... I'm just curious what the thinking is these days and whether its different from a couple of years ago)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think that the difference is that many people aren't specifically OPPOSED to dwarves in UO, but believe that there is a laundry list of races that need to be considered first before dwarves.

Basically dwarves are at the back of the line.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, but despite how cool dwarfs may be in terms of mythology, fantasy, etc, they do not belong in UO as they were never a part of UO's lore, to my knowledge. Granted elves were implemented despite.
If you really want dwarfs, go to WoW.
*I don't mean it as an insult, it's just that they have dwarfs*

L

Lore Master

I'm sorry, but despite how cool dwarfs may be in terms of mythology, fantasy, etc, they do not belong in UO as they were never a part of UO's lore, to my knowledge. Granted elves were implemented despite.
If you really want dwarfs, go to WoW.
*I don't mean it as an insult, it's just that they have dwarfs*
why on earth would i quit uo just because it doesn't have a dwarf race? i spent over 7 years working on skills and building a decent rare collection that many would be envious of. besides that i do not have the time to play more then one online game.
  • besides that i do not have the time to play more then one online game. i really think adding a dwarf race would be nice despite the fact that its not a part of uo history or UO lore like as they say elves arent a part of it either but we have them now so why not dwarfs to among other races?
in reponse to those asking why i want dwarfs most of all of the races we don't have i must admit i love the lord of the rings movies and one of my favorite characters in it is Gimli the dwarf played by John Rhys-Davies i thought he was great in it. that is just one reason but i wont be joining the lord of the rings online either one game is enough for me and i love uo.

G

galefan2004

Lets concentrate on introducing some of the races actually found in UO lore (gargoyles, meers, jukas) instead of introducing yet another race that isn't really in UO but is in every other game out there.

G

galefan2004

so lore can change does not mean they can't eventually be a future part of UO lore.
FFS, we don't need elves season 2 where they basically had to dig through every piece of text ever writtin in the ultima history to find the most obscure reference to elves and that made them justifiable in a lore standpoint.

U

UltimaSword

I love dwarves. In the story i am writing I have a dwarf race. But in UO there are plenty of other options better for the UO universe:

Juka
Meer
Lizardman
Gargoyle (stygian abyss?)
Orc
even terathen and ophidian.

L

Lore Master

Lets concentrate on introducing some of the races actually found in UO lore (gargoyles, meers, jukas) instead of introducing yet another race that isn't really in UO but is in every other game out there.
I am fine with that but i hope one day to get a Drawf race too like i said the more races the better.

K

Kiminality

Longest double-take of my life...

Read the thread title, back when it was a new thread, and passed it over.
Came back now, and suddenly it hits me...
Playable race!

Missed out on some gambling opportunities, I tell you!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lore Master, I didnt mean to be rude in my last post but this matter has been discussed considerably in Uhall. The idea is a moot point in addition, because developers have already stated that dwarves will not be a playable race in the game....EVER. Threads like this only lead to flamefests...so....

IBTL!

L

Lore Master

Lore Master, I didnt mean to be rude in my last post but this matter has been discussed considerably in Uhall. The idea is a moot point in addition, because developers have already stated that dwarves will not be a playable race in the game....EVER. Threads like this only lead to flamefests...so....

IBTL!
ok np but keep in mind i wasn't a member of the forums when all this happened i am reading about this for the very first time with the responses to my post. i think its a shame that they said never they should have left the door open to the possibility at least. i can only hope that one day they might change there mind and reconsider adding them as a race.

L

Lore Master

Longest double-take of my life...

Read the thread title, back when it was a new thread, and passed it over.
Came back now, and suddenly it hits me...
Playable race!

Missed out on some gambling opportunities, I tell you!
sorry i should have titled it- I think we need dwarfs as a playable race.

D

Demon Killer

I am sure this has been requested a lot but i really believe that eventually one day we should get a Drawf race with a future upgrade. i know we are getting gargoyles with stygian abyss when ever it comes out and i think thats great the more races the better in my opinon.
  • Well anyway if this ever happens which i really hope it does it should be an upgrade that comes sometime after stygian abyss of course what do you think? i am making this a poll so please vote or comment or both thanks
i think its a good idea i always wanted to a Dwarf character i wouldnt mind npc Dwarfs too.

L

Lore Master

Id rather seer Meer or Juka as a playable race.
what if we had Gargoyles, Orcs, seer, Meer, Juka, terathen and ophidian and then after we got those races we get Dwarfs as a race too would that suffice?

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima isn't Lord of the Rings just because they both have swords. You may as well walk in here and tell us you want Jedi in the game because you love Star Wars so much. It would make about as much sense. Thankfully the developers have already stated that there will be no dwarves ever, so good times.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if we were to implement dwarfs, it would look kind of funny to implement a character that is smaller than the current characters already in the game, almost as if it wouldn't belong, lol.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if we were to implement dwarfs, it would look kind of funny to implement a character that is smaller than the current characters already in the game, almost as if it wouldn't belong, lol.
Heh...good point..I can hardly see my toon as is in 2d. :p

G

galefan2004

what if we had Gargoyles, Orcs, seer, Meer, Juka, terathen and ophidian and then after we got those races we get Dwarfs as a race too would that suffice?
No. All of those races are actually in UO lore. I don't know about you, but I actually like that UO lore is not a rip off of Tolkein. I kind of like how RG actually sat down and took the time to make his own fiction. If I wanted to play yet another rip off of Tolkein then I'd play WoW or WAR.

G

galefan2004

Ultima isn't Lord of the Rings just because they both have swords. You may as well walk in here and tell us you want Jedi in the game because you love Star Wars so much. It would make about as much sense. Thankfully the developers have already stated that there will be no dwarves ever, so good times.
Not to mention...if the only reason you want dwarfs in UO is because you love LOTR then why not play LOTRO which is a great game in its own rights and stays very close to the LOTR lore.

R

Radun

making playable races was a very bad idea, and adding more is an even worse idea..... unless the new race is a talking pony, that would be sweet!:love:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i cant believe no one has said it yet!
LICHES!!
Oooh, yes please!

I think it would be good to introduce several races at the same time, rather than say "here's a dwarf expansion". I don't go for the "if you want dwarves, play lotr" because a UO dwarf could be made different from the lotr ones. Tolkein didn't patent dwarves did he? :D

I'd also love to see a race pack include pixies, liches, orcs and perhaps tsuki wolves for something different. Or, a spider form would be cool too... just creepy for some players.

Wenchy

S

Seasseragh

Back before ML some Dev said there wouldn´t be any humanoid and roughly human sized new player race because they would have to redo all the clothes/armor art, which obviously is a lot of work. (No, I wont bother to look for the OP, it was probably lost with the last Stratics desaster anyway). So there are purely practical, non-lore reasons why there never will be dwarves, pixies, gnomes, Theras or Ophids etc. in this game.

Then again we have KR now, that 1. Needs more work and 2. May make such things possible(?).

N

Ni-

I'd much rather have Dwarves than Elves. I wish they'd remove Elves and introduce Gargoyles and Orcs as playable races. I feel that if you have Elves as a playable race then you should have Dwarves. Those two races go hand in hand in the fantasy realms that I am somewhat familiar with(LothR and TFR mostly).

For me, alot of the mystique of Dwarves comes from their attitudes and personalities. Which can be ruined when the wrong people play them.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gather you weren't around for the great dwarf wars of '06?
Lol! Too funny.

I voted yes. Not necessarily because I want dwarves but because I'd like to see something added to the game that isn't something that is boring and done in 20 minutes like we have be at for the last 3 years.(minus the candle of love quest)

Dwarves are a bit blase`. I'd rather see a fuzzy.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dwarves are part of the Ultima Lore. Albeit a small role. They appeared in Ultima Under world, the stygian abyss as a race. You even had to do a few quests off them. Glamdrig was his name I think.

But again Id rather see Meer of Juka. There could be alot of potential in those two races.

J

Jaimes

Elves shouldn't have been a race in UO, nor should dwarves.

Honestly.. this is UO, not Everquest, not WoW. Why do people want to destroy game precedence by implementing silly things into the game?

AoS tried to make UO like D2, and we all know how much of a farce that was. When will it stop?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again people, do you know your Ultima history? Dwarves and Elves were races long before gargoyles were introduced into UO. They were both character races in Ultima 3, so anyone who states dwarves have no place just don't know what they are talking about.

Eht/Longbow

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(I see that this poll has an interesting number of "yes" votes, so there is some interest ... I'm just curious what the thinking is these days and whether its different from a couple of years ago)
I can tell you why there is a large number of yeses, and i'll admit even i was tempted to click yes; it is because of one thing, people are tired of having absolutely no real content in the game and any mention of something slightly fun regardless of the lore in UO will get a resounding yes from a good many people. I for one am tired of the fact that there has been no real content additions to the game for several years. Mondain's Legacy was great, why can't we have more of this kind of stuff? I'm still exploring new parts of the "new" dungeons, but I'm rapidly running out of places to explore and new stuff to find.

Arn't Orcs Miners to a certain extent, and they live under ground? Why hasn't any of their dungeons and caves expanded in the 4 1/2 years I've played this game? Elves have come from thousands of years in the past, but Orcs can't dig one new tunnel?

Second, as far as crafting goes, arn't Gargoyles supposed to be the masters in UO? They are where you get the ability to mine and create stone furniture and craft glass items. I've noticed that the general stereotype of monsters in fantesey have a different story and place in UO comparatively. Which is why I think there needs to be a push to uphold UO's Lore which gives more reason for people to check it out.

Eht

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you why there is a large number of yeses, and i'll admit even i was tempted to click yes; it is because of one thing, people are tired of having absolutely no real content in the game and any mention of something slightly fun regardless of the lore in UO will get a resounding yes from a good many people. I for one am tired of the fact that there has been no real content additions to the game for several years. Mondain's Legacy was great, why can't we have more of this kind of stuff? I'm still exploring new parts of the "new" dungeons, but I'm rapidly running out of places to explore and new stuff to find.

Arn't Orcs Miners to a certain extent, and they live under ground? Why hasn't any of their dungeons and caves expanded in the 4 1/2 years I've played this game? Elves have come from thousands of years in the past, but Orcs can't dig one new tunnel?

Second, as far as crafting goes, arn't Gargoyles supposed to be the masters in UO? They are where you get the ability to mine and create stone furniture and craft glass items. I've noticed that the general stereotype of monsters in fantesey have a different story and place in UO comparatively. Which is why I think there needs to be a push to uphold UO's Lore which gives more reason for people to check it out.

Eht
Ahh, that is a very good argument. Lack of content indeed is what we have. In that case I would be tempted to vote yes, unfortunately I voted no prior to this. We definitely need more content and dwarfs would be a nice addition. However, I would say Orcs before dwarfs :p

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again people, do you know your Ultima history? Dwarves and Elves were races long before gargoyles were introduced into UO. They were both character races in Ultima 3, so anyone who states dwarves have no place just don't know what they are talking about.
And then deliberately removed them from every game thereafter, because he realized they were derivative horsecrap. How convenient that people always seem to forget that part.

The first three Ultimas were full of stupid crap like time-traveling to post-apocalyptic Russia and stealing a rocketship to fly to planet X. (Yes, you had to do exactly that in Ultima 2 to win the game.) Falling back on crap from that era to justify things is just admitting that you have nothing real to go on.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The first three Ultimas were full of stupid crap like time-traveling to post-apocalyptic Russia and stealing a rocketship to fly to planet X. (Yes, you had to do exactly that in Ultima 2 to win the game.) Falling back on crap from that era to justify things is just admitting that you have nothing real to go on.
not really, you can skip that part entirely and just kill minax.

however, the falling back on that crap statement just means your rude.
wether or not you like it, the avatar/stranger & lord brittish are from earth, time travle happens in almost every scenario in ultima. dont forget we travled thru time in the moonglow event. hell we even have a time lord, and time of legends, and even time. silver gates in ultima lore are there for the soul purpose for time travle, and with earth being a huge part of Ultima, airplanes, and rockets exist. just how it is.
on a side note.
Humans Elves Dwarves & Bobbits for good times for me.

btw i am against most ideas for races in UO. the game already looks like a freakshow with capitain underpants half naked in a jester suit riding an effing polar bear around luna the neon city

U

ultima online

I want purple llamas as a playable race before anything else!

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RTLFC

DWARVES ARE A PART OF ULTIMA LORE!!!!!

Doesn't mean I want them just tired of seeing everyone say there were no dwarves in the lore.

KTHX

Ori