• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How Will You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
How will you survive the zombie apocalypse?

• Where would you hide?
• Would you fight back? Give up?
• Attempt to save loved ones living far away?
• How would you defend yourself?
• Who would you attempt to rescue first, if you do?
• Etc.?

I'm from Texas; I was born holding a gun. My wife carries a gun for her job and is probably better trained than me. We own a variety of guns. We would absolutely fight--not give up.

We live fairly near a port. Would probably hijack a boat, load it with water, food, ammo, and fuel, then travel just off the coast. We would want to be near enough to spot fueling opportunities, but sufficiently far to fend off zombies/refugees.

Attempt to save loved ones? Her family and my family both own their own cache of guns. Her dad is a pilot and owns a plane, so they could fly somewhere safe. My family lives miles away from other humans on a farm, so they could be self-sufficient. I think they'll be ok without us.

Anyway, I suppose we'd float up and down the east coast, hitting docks/ports as needed to resupply, until some type of international effort was mounted. If no effort was likely, I suppose we'd eventually try to meet up with both of our families. Her parents could fly us to some unpopulated island. My parents could bring some seeds, goats, and chickens. We'd live out our lives in paradise until order was restored.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Her family and my family both own their own cache of guns
Careful there .... big brother always watchin'. Ya may have made it onto the Homeland Security list lol.

I guess I would be relegated to doing like Bill Murray in Zombieland ;)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
They have query defeats for content with the word "zombie," so we're good.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Sister is my nearest family, she lives about 15 miles away with her husband and 3 kids. I'd meet up with them first. I have an uncle that lives about 90 minutes from me up on the side of a mountain, so his place would make for a good base. He's former military and and also a huntsman so he's got guns galore. I've gone hunting with him a few times and he's got some pretty badass rifles perfect for zombie killing. My folks are all the way in California but my Dad is former military so his first instinct would probably be to get him and my Mom to a base. My Brother and his family were just deployed to Germany with the army so he'd probably be more worried about us than we'd need to be about him.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where would you hide?

There are many variables to be considered. What type of "zombie" would we be facing? Would the zombie be the shambling type that would tend to gather into herds? Can they run as has been seen in some movies? If it is the typical shambler type zombie,I would not be a hider,but I would always be looking over my shoulder. I do have a couple of months worth of food in my house and I would live on that unless the area I live in becomes a hot zone for zombie activity.If that were the case,I'd just pack up my truck and head into the Natchez Trace park area and camp out for a while.

Would you fight back? Give up?

I have no doubt that I would fight back. I would actually hunt the zombies when I'd have the chance.

Attempt to save loved ones living far away?

No. Too much risk by traveling a long distance just to find that a loved one has left to a secure zone,or has been killed.

How would you defend yourself?

I would only use fireams when there is no other option. In a scenerio of a zombie apocalypse,ammo would be scarce. I'd use melee weapons instead. I would also look to fortify a small town,if I were in a group. I would look for a place that could sustain a medium farm. I'd raid a CO-OP for seeds and maybe I'd luck up on catching a few chickens and pigs and possibly a cow for milk.

Who would you attempt to rescue first, if you do?

I would look to protect my closest neighbors if possible. If not that,I'd head to my cousin's place to load up his family to head to Natchez Trace.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would probably hole up somewhere built to last and just enjoy the target practice.

S

Sevin0oo0

Syrus, call me when you go - cut a few more ditches across padre and each own our own island.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been watching some videos of people playing the DayZ mod for Arma II. In one of the videos the guy playing made an interesting comment about the social environment of the game. For those who don't know what it is, it's an open world zombie survival horror mod for a military shooter game. You start out with nothing, not even a map, and death is permanent meaning you lose everything you've found and collected and your character is deleted. Anyways, his comment related to how the games mechanics allowed for players to kill each other and how it lead to this dynamic where he wasn't only trying to survive zombie attacks but also any attacks from other players, which actually frightened him even more. From that, you can imagine the kinds of tension that comes when spotting other players in the open world. Will they be immediately hostile? Friendly? Or will they pretend to be friendly and then attack you from behind when the time is right? Another thing people are doing in the game is forming mobs to rob people of their valuables and sparing their lives if they concede. All that is to say, how much of this kind of behavior would we see in a real zombie apocalypse? I'd want to help other survivors, but there's only so much you can do for other people. As far as seeking out help from others, I'd only look to family for support as said in my first post. I'm not sure I'd trust many others.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been watching some videos of people playing the DayZ mod for Arma II. In one of the videos the guy playing made an interesting comment about the social environment of the game. For those who don't know what it is, it's an open world zombie survival horror mod for a military shooter game. You start out with nothing, not even a map, and death is permanent meaning you lose everything you've found and collected and your character is deleted. Anyways, his comment related to how the games mechanics allowed for players to kill each other and how it lead to this dynamic where he wasn't only trying to survive zombie attacks but also any attacks from other players, which actually frightened him even more. From that, you can imagine the kinds of tension that comes when spotting other players in the open world. Will they be immediately hostile? Friendly? Or will they pretend to be friendly and then attack you from behind when the time is right? Another thing people are doing in the game is forming mobs to rob people of their valuables and sparing their lives if they concede. All that is to say, how much of this kind of behavior would we see in a real zombie apocalypse? I'd want to help other survivors, but there's only so much you can do for other people. As far as seeking out help from others, I'd only look to family for support as said in my first post. I'm not sure I'd trust many others.
It probably is. That being said in the long run its counter productive. Much of this behavoir would start dying out the longer time came from it going from a zombie outbreak to a full blown zombie apocalypse.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a Brit, my response would be not dissimilar to Shaun of the Dead.
No guns, or indeed anything more deadly than a meat cleaver.
The house is pretty solid, though, so anything short of a Left4Dead Tank probably isn't getting in, so "have a cup of tea and wait for the whole thing to blow over"

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cirno there are plenty of nice guns in the UK if you just know where to look.;)

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like, in the countryside?
Everyone and their mums are packing out there.
You know, like farmers... and farmers' mums ;)

(I know, I'm in a Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy (+Paul) kind of mood)

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Gets all political*

First,I'd seek legislation to give legal status to the zombies. This will take time,but with enough positive liberal media spin and plenty of indoctrination of our youth,it can happen in time. Secondly,I'd seek either an international law under the UN,or an amendment to what is left of the US Constitution to allow for all zombies to hold political office. To combat those that would find this move objectionable,I'd run a media campaign in which I'd call such people hateful and narrow-minded. :)

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would hijack a HumVee and travel cross country killing zombies with my trusty hedge clippers. Also would not rest until I found a big cache of twinkies, and would endeavour to pick up a pasty white kid with a shotgun and a quirky set of rules for dealing with said zombie horde.

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grab a Hatchet, a Heavy Knife (preferably a good Bowie Knife), 100ft. of Parachute Cord, and a spool of 20ga single strand wire. Then head to the most heavily wooded area possible within a reasonable time frame. I don't see Zombies being able to maneuver through heavy forest and underbrush effectively especially in mountainous terrain, while with those items an individual with a bit of knowledge could sustain himself pretty much indefinitely.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Crino I love that movie but there are more then one weapons cache in the UK that the government has "lost" track of you just need to know where.
@Shamus realize those things get such terrible gas milage that your likely going to be running more often then not and god help you if your in a city because those things bog down.
Triberius its not a bad idea but if game can get there so can the zombies.
Best bet canned goods and a nice old school prison or castle. That should keep the buggers out.

Triberius

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Triberius its not a bad idea but if game can get there so can the zombies.
Best bet canned goods and a nice old school prison or castle. That should keep the buggers out.
I never said anything about holing up near game trails, and Zombies are typically much bigger than Rabbits and Squirrels so their trails are probably much too small for Zombies to move on efficiently. Besides that the odds of a Zombie outbreak occurring in a non-populated region are rather slim.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never said anything about holing up near game trails, and Zombies are typically much bigger than Rabbits and Squirrels so their trails are probably much too small for Zombies to move on efficiently. Besides that the odds of a Zombie outbreak occurring in a non-populated region are rather slim.
I agree but on the other hand,I don't think that zombies get tired. I doubt that they would care how steep or narrow a trail would get.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something as a sidenote I want to add that about taking down a zombie. A shot to the head? I really don't think so. They are already dead and rotting already,right? What will damaging brain cells do when the brain is already rotten? My answer to this is fire,and alot of it. Or completely decapitating the zombie. A simple temple shot,in my opinion,would not work.

Triberius

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree but on the other hand,I don't think that zombies get tired. I doubt that they would care how steep or narrow a trail would get.
No but I bet they make a heck of a racket while going through them giving me enough time to move.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No but I bet they make a heck of a racket while going through them giving me enough time to move.
Maybe. Depends on what zombie lore you follow. They could be noisy as seen in most movies,or all you might hear is footsteps. Either way,if I were living in the woods after the "outbreak" I'd either dig a series of spider holes or build a makeshift living quarters up in a large oak tree.Either way,I'd not sleep on the surface of the ground under any circumstances.

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can all play the what would u do if here was a zombie attack but anyone who knows .. the real story knows it doesnt matter anyway we all got zombies in us anyway so its all one of those if u cant beat em join em scenerios *spelling* .. well least i know what the outcome is :)~

however zombies scare me :) then u always got that new bath salts epidemic people eatin people ICK!

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FYI the idea of an actually zombie outbreak is not that likely a containment could probably be done. That being said going static against anything without actually putting up walls is a questionable idea. Going into a spider hole isn't a great idea and trust me those things are a ton of work to do. We should also assume that zombies are not tracking by the same senses that we use in all likelyhood as the eyes are one of the first things to go bad after death. So a spider hole would slow you down and make you a tasty treat.

S

Sevin0oo0

Any others watch Steve Niles' Remains? Centered in Reno, Nevada after a radioactive explosion. The zombies eventually gained AI, speed, and agility enough to wield weapons w/ a very predator-like instinct. They already were in a the mode of, kill, eat/feed, poop, repeat.

side note: For us zombie fans, we know it's already been explained that it's a virus activity that keeps a small section of the brain controlling actions and the head shot severs that last bit of connectivity

S

Sevin0oo0

the ending of "the getaway" shows them swimming, explaining why those in boats aren't safe.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would depend on the size of your boat. Many of them aren't exactly easy to get into if you don't have some way to get a rope onto them.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have to ration my ammo, so I would shoot my friend in the leg so the zombies will have something to eat while I run away.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speaking of "zombie preparedness". Did you know that it is now illegal in the US to have more than seven days worth of food stored up in your home and weather-proofed ammunition. Seems the government wants us to be easy pickings for the "zombies".

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speaking of "zombie preparedness". Did you know that it is now illegal in the US to have more than seven days worth of food stored up in your home and weather-proofed ammunition. Seems the government wants us to be easy pickings for the "zombies".
Proof? Between two freezers and a large cupboard, I have about 2 weeks in food just kept normally. Also, most modern ammunition is weatherproof. You can go buy a box of el-cheapo rifle ammo at Wal-Mart, put it in water overnight, and 3/4 of it would still be good the next day.

Furthermore, why is it everything you post in OT has a "ZOMG GOVERNMENT!!!" slant to it. Go back and read the sticky at the top of the forum please and thanks.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Shamus realize those things get such terrible gas milage that your likely going to be running more often then not and god help you if your in a city because those things bog down.
I was spoofing a very popular zombie movie (Zombieland). I own and drive a lifted and very capable Jeep Wrangler, and am a member of the local H2 Recovery Team. I would drive a Yugo before a Hummer.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Furthermore, why is it everything you post in OT has a "ZOMG GOVERNMENT!!!" slant to it. Go back and read the sticky at the top of the forum please and thanks.
Why is the Admins/Mods here so afraid of threads and posts that question the actions of the government?

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is the Admins/Mods here so afraid of threads and posts that question the actions of the government?

Tip: This is where you throw Rule B in my face
It's not fear.

Simply, as I've explained in the past, the end result of discussion of such subjects is usually incompatible with the community intent Stratics is based on.
If something like that happens often enough, you look for a solution at the source, rather than the destination.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bat Mod I know I was bringing up rule number 1 Cardio. :D
airmid That looks nice of course with some shallow water. I would love to vacation there.

Oh Yes those tests always have me doing so well and then getting killed by my own landmine which is just crazy. No fool would use a landmine why take out their legs when they will just keep crawling.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am afraid of nothing here. Seen it all quite honestly. However, there is a new rule against political debate on these threads that you may or ay not have seen. I am simply suggesting you read and understand. I will not post publicly about it again.

Now, back to zombies.

My real answer is, I live way out in the sticks anyway. I grew up in the woods learning to trap, stalk, hunt. For me, the only way to survive when myself or my family is threatened is to go on the offensive. Why hole up when there are zombies to hunt?

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not fear.

Simply, as I've explained in the past, the end result of discussion of such subjects is usually incompatible with the community intent Stratics is based on.
If something like that happens often enough, you look for a solution at the source, rather than the destination.
What exactly is the "community intent" of Stratics? That all posters share the same opinion and there is never a disgreement? I should just change my avatar to a Borg Cube and make a siggy with Jean Luc saying "Resistance is futile...and against Rule B"

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Moon. Let it go.

S

Sevin0oo0

Remember the series finale where the black woman had several on a chain leash? Blinders, make 'em pull the plows for farming, save on gas.
Muzzles and saddles - could make great rides for the kids when they get done w/ chores. instead of pony express, zombie express
Bells spread around a large area w/ pull cords - zombie races since they like noise.
Turf Wars with catapults - flaming zombies for ammo.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shamus you and I can take em from the back of a pickup! Just pick em off one at a time.:gun:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easy, get down to the Gulf of Mexico, take a raft out to an oil platform...clear of the existing dead, and keep away from the mainland...la

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Easy, get down to the Gulf of Mexico, take a raft out to an oil platform...clear of the existing dead, and keep away from the mainland...la
Those only last about 5 years without some serious maintance. That being said its still a great idea.

Emma Silvermane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember the series finale where the black woman had several on a chain leash? Blinders, make 'em pull the plows for farming, save on gas.
Muzzles and saddles - could make great rides for the kids when they get done w/ chores. instead of pony express, zombie express
Bells spread around a large area w/ pull cords - zombie races since they like noise.
Turf Wars with catapults - flaming zombies for ammo.
You also saw she cut their arms off!! so maybe your on to something Sevin

side note :) I have a new mag with the info from the last one .. And Season 2 comes out in less than a month i got that shiza on pre order!!! i already got a few askin for copies!!! and season 3 starts in october .. :) I cant WAIT!!!!!!

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Kelmo and I have actually discused this...tho he never told me about this thread. There is a local concrete company that would build us a bunker but I think that would drive me mad. Sirius XM falls out every time I go under a bridge after all. Currently we are discussing moving to white deer and starting a business. Whatever the catastriphic event turns out to be, we wanna be out in the sticks. This is the first phase of my life that I could even consider guns, so I don't own any yet. But I aparently have an offer for lessons from a new horse riding texas gal friend.

Don't forget the double tap.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once the Zombie Apocalypse starts it will be too late to get guns and ammo and learn how to shoot. Start now.
Thats really not true. I know everyone says this but take this from some on the inside of matters like this. We have far more guns in this country then we have people. Far far more. While your right everyone is going to head to the gun store there are about 50 other (more fun) places that I can think of to arm up so I wouldn't necessarily worry about finding the weapons. The big challenge is learning how to shoot and more importantly how to reload. Both are good skills to have if you ask me. Also do yourself a favor now and learn a rifle. Amatures talk about their handgun skills, pros do it with a rifle.

S

Sevin0oo0

I say start practicing Now

[Dead Trigger (Droid)]
The world has collapsed.
In 2012 modern civilization is coming to an end. Global economics have been disrupted, money has lost its value. People have risen against the ignorant politicians who were just lining their pockets – and they didn't spare any of them.
However, those who really ruled the world were prepared - and escaped. Suddenly billions of people died from a strange virus, while others turned into butcherly beasts with just one thought:
TO KILL!