• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been getting recruits the old fashioned way... talking to people I encounter.

No books needed. If I feel they are too new, I will gate them to NEW guildhouse, but when I find the prodo vets, I guild them!

Their guild tags read:

"NEW to Siege"

My latest addition is a 6 year vet, his name is Wrath. You can kill him pretty easily right now, but dont expect any faction arties just yet! ;)

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but Chessy and SP are entirely different shards...

What do you want Kael...? Please do not think that equal treatment is possible;
it will never happen...I expect the EM's will treat each shard unequally, to
meet unequal needs.

We are not playing the same game as Chessy shard!

*stares*
Yahaxithonix
We are not playing the same game as Chessy shard ???

Oh ?

My bad, *sorry, I could not resist showing this cute lil colorful giant horde minion from Chesapeake. :)

S

Shalimar/Cleo

I am not going to get into this same old crap. NEW is not for everyone, hence it doesn't benefit everyone. Your argument is not valid.
NEW IS for everyone - if they choose to participate, and it has been for everyone for the past 6.5 years I've been at it's helm, and for at least 3 years before that, time served consistantly, good times or bad times, never wavering. (that annoy you does it? too bad) If new players to Siege choose to not participate, they can hardly get the benefit of it now can they?

What happened Sweeney, did you get booted? Ah yes, you had a problem with one of the helpers, that's right. *rolls eyes* You didn't like a rl male having a female character in a game, that's how petty you are.

NEW has become more sophisticated over the years, and has become much better organized because of the assistance received from it's helpers and donors, themselves players on Siege. It's a Siege institution whether you like that fact or not, it's unique and long standing. Your argument is invalid, then again... your arguments usually are.

S

Shalimar/Cleo

FYI We never got that guild off the ground, in part, because of the locked down NEW runes, so we gave up on it. There have been other similar guilds as well. DARK, for instance, was for new players who were wanting to be more "evil" type players. There is no reason there cannot be a viable alternative to NEW, if someone wants to put in the time and effort involved.

Furthermore, we [TnT/TnA], made no effort whatsoever, to have the NEW books removed.
What locked down NEW runes? I have to say I missed those. If you're talking about 6 well-placed books, they were locked down for all of one month.

DARK and NEW were supposed to work together when DARK was formed. DARK didn't last for whatever reasons known to it's leaders. There has never been any reason there couldn't have been a viable alternative to NEW, but tell me this....where is it? where has it been all these years?

S

Sweeney

Shalimar I was hoping you would avoid petty arguments.. I thought it was beneath you. You acted so mannerly beforehand.

I suppose everyone forgets, or nobody knows, that EM Alcor was a NEW co-leader, A current(maybe?) GIL leader, that Shalimar asked a fellow (and sub) guild member for the favor. Check the necro'd threads... EA does not e-mail people regarding anything.

It was Alcor that had the books locked down, a NEW co-leader. That is the worst sense of favoritism ever.

Tsk tsk.. Shalimar you obviously never read nor remembered the olden threads on this tired subject, nor have you read any post since then by myself. I thought you were above the fray, but I shall repeat just for you..

I was not against the books being locked down.
I wondered why only one group was able to have books locked down.
I wondered why they were just thrown on the ground and locked instead of on a table, more respective of their value (You conveniently neglect to contemplate this fact).

As Rico would say... la

S

Sweeney

Coughs, C*Hoffs*, coughs

[edit] And yes I kept that a secret, until now.. your worthless rant brought it out. I hope you realize I did have some honor, and much more than you'll ever know. [/edit]

PS: It is incredibly easy to figure out if you read the necro'd book threads. It took me about 5 mins, 6 months ago.

S

Shalimar/Cleo

Shalimar I was hoping you would avoid petty arguments.. I thought it was beneath you. You acted so mannerly beforehand.

I suppose everyone forgets, or nobody knows, that EM Alcor was a NEW co-leader, A current(maybe?) GIL leader, that Shalimar asked a fellow (and sub) guild member for the favor. Check the necro'd threads... EA does not e-mail people regarding anything.

It was Alcor that had the books locked down, a NEW co-leader. That is the worst sense of favoritism ever.

Tsk tsk.. Shalimar you obviously never read nor remembered the olden threads on this tired subject, nor have you read any post since then by myself. I thought you were above the fray, but I shall repeat just for you..

I was not against the books being locked down.
I wondered why only one group was able to have books locked down.
I wondered why they were just thrown on the ground and locked instead of on a table, more respective of their value (You conveniently neglect to contemplate this fact).

As Rico would say... la

I'm never above putting someone in their place.

EM Alcor was a NEW leader was he? You told me that one night in game - before the placement of any books - how would you know who the EM was, how would any of us have known who the EM was? It was the first I'd heard of it, but you seemed to know, very angry and green with envy you were at the thought of someone you disliked so much being an EM. How did you know this? EM Alcor systematically got an EM position and was a leader of NEW eh? A big conspiracy eh?

I will say this: If EM Alcor did turn out to be Hoffs, and with you being so sure it was Hoffs, which EM furnished you with that information, hm? I'm sure we can hazard a very good guess.

I have no idea who EM Alcor was or is, I have no wish to know who EM Alcor was or is, it's not my business to know who EM Alcor was or is, anymore than it is yours. It is also not my business to know who EM (what is his name again, I forget, we see him so seldom, you know that EM that locks a book down telling us to say 'bank' it's like being taught how to join the friggin' dots) is, nor is it yours.

EM Alcor asked Shalimar if she thought a few locked down books would assist NEW as it was a guild totally unique to any other and did not benefit from swelling it's ranks, on the contrary, the shard benefits. So, Sweeney, not only are your arguments way off the mark, so is your imagination, way way off the mark.

S

Sweeney

EM Alcor asked Shalimar if she thought a few locked down books would assist NEW as it was a guild totally unique to any other and did not benefit from swelling it's ranks, on the contrary, the shard benefits.
That's quite a statement.. considering Alcor had no regard for any other guilds.. seeing as how he was so impartial. And no matter how so many of the arguments did sway on the swelling of ranks.

It's a wonder, nay, a dumbfounded quandary, how Alcor could never have forseen other guilds or such. It seemingly amazes me!!!

I'll go ahead and necro the old threads to let others judge.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1163325&postcount=2
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1163436&postcount=11
This one cracks me up:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1163450&postcount=14
Another thread:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1162125&postcount=6
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1162513&postcount=16
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1163085&postcount=25

This is just for fun:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=125718&highlight=books

[edit] Oh I forgot that these posts show how the old EM was a NEW stand-in[/edit]

S

Shalimar/Cleo

EM Alcor asked Shalimar if she thought a few locked down books would assist NEW as it was a guild totally unique to any other and did not benefit from swelling it's ranks, on the contrary, the shard benefits.
That's quite a statement.. considering Alcor had no regard for any other guilds.. seeing as how he was so impartial. And no matter how so many of the arguments did sway on the swelling of ranks.

It's a wonder, nay, a dumbfounded quandary, how Alcor could never have forseen other guilds or such. It seemingly amazes me!!!

See that bold bit? You go ahead and read it a few times, maybe you will eventually understand it.

S

Sweeney

You may as well say "If a TnT was the the new EM, I'd support locking TnT/TnA recruitment books down."

Considering I know you wouldn't.. how do we spell hypocrite again?

S

Sweeney

Time for bed.. and I truly thought you were above this sort of bickering Shalimar.. the problem is, facts fly in your face and you can't swat them all.

I like(d) NEW, told many new players to check it out.. this petty crap is a shame on you, not me (I have no newbies to show an example towards).

You'd rather defend a corrupt EM (who lost his job, haha) than support the new EM. Way to show support.

S

Shalimar/Cleo

http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1163325&postcount=2
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1163436&postcount=11
This one cracks me up:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1163450&postcount=14
Another thread:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1162125&postcount=6
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1162513&postcount=16
http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1163085&postcount=25

This is just for fun:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=125718&highlight=books

[edit] Oh I forgot that these posts show how the old EM was a NEW stand-in[/edit]

All those links prove to me is that you have a very unhealthy obsession with Hoffs. Now that is creepy.

S

Shalimar/Cleo

You may as well say "If a TnT was the the new EM, I'd support locking TnT/TnA recruitment books down."

Considering I know you wouldn't.. how do we spell hypocrite again?
I support the locking down of books that are and always will be representation of neutral assistance to any and every new player to Siege. The words 'neutral' and 'not swelling their own ranks for their own purposes' are key here, you keep missing them.

S

Shalimar/Cleo

Time for bed.. and I truly thought you were above this sort of bickering Shalimar.. the problem is, facts fly in your face and you can't swat them all.

I like(d) NEW, told many new players to check it out.. this petty crap is a shame on you, not me (I have no newbies to show an example towards).

You'd rather defend a corrupt EM (who lost his job, haha) than support the new EM. Way to show support.
You have no facts, you have a vivid imagination, and low self esteem, poor sod.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*breaks long Stratics silence*

Many people seem to be missing the essential truth here – this shard is in a mess. The population has been on decline for years now, but lately it has reached life-support level. Anyone coming here is presented with a barren landscape with little apparent activity and not many reasons to stay. There are few viable regular guilds available and it is almost impossible for a start-up guild (not a re-branded old one) to get rolling. At the same time, the lack of activity drives more existing players away as well as those returning from breaks. What we need is more people – killers, monster hunters, crafters, consumers, anyone.

Unfortunately, the development team do not understand Siege and have no interest in us, Lord knows some of us have tried. The Community Manager is obviously too busy to enter into any discourse with members of his community and his minions just offer promises and then ignore you a couple of days later. They couldn't even be bothered to help support a Siege Tenth Anniversary celebration, which would have required next to no efforts on their part.

We have tried various things in the past to drum up interest in Siege, but these have been fairly pointless as they only bring in one or two new players, if that. However, one thing that was a huge success was the introduction of said NEW books. In the brief time they were in place there was a real surge in NEW membership. The inference is clear: many people visit the shard to have a look around, but when all they see is the tumbleweed blowing through town they log out, probably never to return. Seeing the NEW books gave them some point of contact and allows us (the Siege community) to get a foot in their door. With the NEW books removed, numbers gradually waned.

The main objection to the books – the favouritism – simply does not hold water in my opinion. Since I have been on the shard, NEW has existed to serve the Siege community. I am sure Shalimar has her faults like all of us, but she has always been passionate about bringing new blood here and has worked tirelessly on this. She always prefers that graduates make up their own mind about who to join rather than having to give suggestions herself, and she has always favoured new guilds or smaller guilds where appropriate. I believe she is as neutral a GM as we can hope for. Further, any guild wishing to raise their profile with NEW members can do so easily. If you want to bring your guild to their attention, simply interact with them. The White Council used to do champ spawns with NEW regularly until I stopped it a few months ago to actually LOWER our profile.

Gilfane is one of the guilds that is accused of syphoning off more than its fair share of NEW graduates, but this also does not stack up. Most of our new members this past year have come from other sources. We are a large guild with plenty of members and an active web site/forum and as a good-aligned PvM-cantered guild we fit the style of a good chunk of UO players, so we will always get our share of newcomers. And as for me having a co-leader of NEW, I only did this when Shalimar had only one active co-leader left (Obeta I think) and it was difficult for people to get into the guild. So I reactivated my daughter's old account and put her in NEW. If other people would like to step up as legitimate NEW co-leaders in my place (i.e. be prepared to down tools and go and guild someone, help them with their template, explain the Siege rules to them, etc.), they are more than welcome – it will save me $15 a month.

So anyway, carry on fiddling while Siege burns if you will, but the bottom line is that short of the devs coming out and putting their weight behind the Shard, I believe the simple step of restoring the NEW books is the biggest service they could do us.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Sweeney I thought you were done discussing this. It's time for you to go back under your rock and shove your head further up your ass.

We were making progress on this dialogue until you entered back into this.

So, can we get back on track here and discuss how to get some books locked down at banks that represent guilds with temporary membership that help newcomers to the shard get started?

So a table at West Brit, Luna, Skara, and the Brit Inn? How does that sound to the reasonable people in this thread?

Proposed Guidelines for the books:

Books shall briefly describe the guild and its purposes and outline their rules so potential recruits can determine the differences between the guilds.

Text of books should be submitted to the current EM for approval. Once approved, the EM should meet with the guild leader asking for placement to receive the books (4 copies, one for each location) Books should be sealed with red petals.

If a guild is disbanded, or is unresponsive to requests for more information, their book will be removed.

Does anyone have other suggestions on how to do this? This is simply morning brainstorming.

S

Shalimar/Cleo

Best placements, as they were previously, 6 books total.

Luna bank
Brit Inn (the East one, just outside of the inn)
Brit bank (away from the deco at the bank, so it can be easily seen)
Delucia bank (just outside the door)
Jhelom bank (a lot of new players go there)
Tokuno bank

We've got pies slapped on the floors so why not books at least they're useful.

K

Kiwillian

Why not just drop books at whatever the current start location is, locked down or not? I think it might be EBB, since that's where I started 6 months ago. Dunno what will happen come sept 8 but we can wait and see.

I spent several days holed up in EBB till I saw Shal come by and said "hello" - lol :)

e: lol didn't see your post up there ^^^^

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I am not going to get into this same old crap. NEW is not for everyone, hence it doesn't benefit everyone. Your argument is not valid.
If there had been a guild for evil newbies, the shard was willing to support, I'm sure they could get a rune and a book too but we do not have a guild like that at the moment.

EM's can't changes rune/books every week when one guild drop and a new get started.

NEW is for all, who are willing to accept the rules of NEW. Alot will do fine without NEW, they only need one of the regular guilds.

O

Ole Cheapy

I am so confused right now....what does the OP mean by we lose NEW books being locked down? Will someone plz explain?

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so confused right now....what does the OP mean by we lose NEW books being locked down? Will someone plz explain?
A few NEW books were locked down by the bank and moongate as a Community Service so that newer players to Siege could see them. This actually increased the volume of enrollment of NEW.

Then someone cried and cried that it wasn't right to have just the NEW guild books locked down and they were removed.

S

Shalimar/Cleo

Well Tolli, once upon a time we had been granted an EM who went by the name of EM Alcor. This EM was around quite a lot, had ideas for events and such and was actually very good in his role, he was present and willing and able. Anyway, one day Shalimar meets the EM, he sees her running around dropping books about NEW guild as she normally did/does several times a day.

He asked Shalimar if it would help (seeing this as the unique, one - off, long standing, service guild that it is) to have a few locked down books, informing new players to Siege we were here and available to all. Shalimar said of course it would, that would be great, fantastic, terrific and all those other good words...you get the idea. He said he would ask his boss for permission, not promising anything but he would see what he could do. He got the necessary permission from his boss.

A few days later Shalimar meets EM Alcor again and he informs her of said permission (see above) and he said he would need to review and possibly edit the books to make them allowable (nothing could be in it that didn't relate to NEW and a few other things) which was fine with Shalimar. After that he said he could place 6 books in places of her choosing...so she chose.

Then there were a few moans and groans about favouritism and all the other rubbish and another EM removed the 6 books. The boss, however, said she knew nothing about them being removed, but still they haven't been put back. So there it is.

Diablo FTW

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok now im trashing all the NEW books, and im going to make a guild with duracell. for kill all the new in town,

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well someone in New might want to spend a little more time looking at their members instead of the damn books (which are bull****, no easy button on siege period!)

Your member named Ripper, wearing a New Tag, not only looted last night(several times, going gray in the process) but also worked with M-D.

Please handle this with as much passion as your books!!

D

Duke SP

Well someone in New might want to spend a little more time looking at their members instead of the damn books (which are bull****, no easy button on siege period!)

Your member named Ripper, wearing a New Tag, not only looted last night(several times, going gray in the process) but also worked with M-D.

Shalimar has no way of knowing who Diablo is friends with i see we have alot of LS garbage coming to Siege Perilous.I'm sure Shalimar will deal with him and he won't have to hide anymore and join M D like he was suppose to instead of leeching off NEW.

B

Bruin

The guy was booted from NEW prior to your posting of this message.

NEW takes in everyone, and makes them agree to rules that they will act neutral. Sometimes people are asshats, ignore the rules and do things like you just mentioned. There is no way we can weed them all out before they cause trouble, but once they do step over the line action is taken against them.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The easy button on Siege is xsharding massive amounts of gold over from production ( which I did ) or buying gold and an account Siege ready.

The hard way is surviving on a cheap lrc suit and working your way through ROT.

Thirty days of NEW guild doesn't really make it easy lol

Troop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thirty days of membership in NEW did not make it easy for me. It gave me a short while to meet some peeps here. I still was able to get PK'D on almost a daily basis while in NEW. It was not a free thirty day pass but a good oppurtunity to learn some of the basics about how things were on the shard.

I think that it was nice to have the NEW books locked down so newcomers new that the NEW guild was available to them if they so chose to join. I wish they had been there when I first arrived. It would have made my first week a little more beneficial.

IMHO I don't see that having the books locked down at a few locations hurts the game in any way. I know that I would have been happy to find out about the NEW guild on my first day on Siege.

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed, I started here with nothing. Then I did x shard gold to make up the difference I needed to buy my castle. What I meant was people can and will find New the old fashon way!

S

Shalimar/Cleo

And you, may want to spend a little more time speaking with your members before making comments such as these, then you'd know that Mr X could have brought you up to date.

Mr.StinkyPants

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He needs to get accustomed to Siege BEFORE he spends all his silver on a nice suit... this will teach him a few things about Siege Bless and no insurance. Heh.

ya ok mister ic ur method, just sux when ur new and u have a ****storm waiting to rain down on ur head, but it will tuffin him up

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And you, may want to spend a little more time speaking with your members before making comments such as these, then you'd know that Mr X could have brought you up to date.
Wow.. Have you shown your ass in this thread!

There was no reason why YOU could not bring Mook up to speed without the repulsive attitude. You may want to spend a little more time accepting that your position on this shard requires some diplomacy. As a "neutral party", please keep that in mind when responding to issues regarding NEW.

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ya ok mister ic ur method, just sux when ur new and u have a ****storm waiting to rain down on ur head, but it will tuffin him up
Actually, I thought it would have been a bit hypocritical of me to ask people to ease up on him because of his "NEW to Siege" tag, seeing as I didn't reprimand you for killing several NEW members yourself.

So really, YOU are bringing the storm upon him. ;)

S

Shalimar/Cleo

Wow.. Have you shown your ass in this thread!

There was no reason why YOU could not bring Mook up to speed without the repulsive attitude. You may want to spend a little more time accepting that your position on this shard requires some diplomacy. As a "neutral party", please keep that in mind when responding to issues regarding NEW.
I have shown I will not take inane remarks from anyone... get used to it. I had a responsibility to perfom when a complaint was raised, which it was, directly to Shalimar from Mr X, in private, the way it should be done. That responsibility was carried out, and Mr X was informed. It is not however my responsibility to inform each and every one of your members, especially when all they want to do is cause more drama where there is none, capiche?

A neutral party is not one that will put up with drivel, not in my book.. so think again.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My money's on Shal, I've gone up against her before. Kat = weaksauce

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, you come off very petty and irrational on this whole issue. You're the one that seems to keep saying the same thing over and over again even though it's fairly far off the mark.

Sleep well.