• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hey, please make the forum wide again

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Some of us do have a wide screen. Now I have 5 cm unused space of each side of the forum :eek:

K

Kiminality

I have 4.4cm on either side, and I don't see the problem.
1.) I don't have a problem with space on either side.
2.) These are temporary forums. They don't have to be perfect...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It was perfect 10 min before my post, then it changed and and become smaller.
I like it better wide, special if screen shots in the threads or alot of text.:)

Edited: I can see a post with a large pic fo get wide to fit the pic so maybe it's not all bad.

G

Garaba

The people behind the curtain are still tweaking. But I will make a few inquires for you.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed. It was fine how it was before they put it in this thin configuration. Threads look really odd when someone posts a picture in them now.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
5cm - lucky you...

I have about TEN CM to each side, on this monitor....

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5cm - lucky you...

I have about TEN CM to each side, on this monitor....
10cm - lucky you... :eek:

I have a few inches on each side! LOL

Yeah, I'd like to see it fit the width of one's monitor/resolution settings also. :)

K

Kiminality

:p

That is to say, attachments are a problem...

Perhaps a stylesheet for different resolution widths?
800, 1204, 1280, 1600 and beyond. Defaulting to 1024?

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:p

That is to say, attachments are a problem...

Perhaps a stylesheet for different resolution widths?
800, 1204, 1280, 1600 and beyond. Defaulting to 1024?
Whoops, nah, I think I just forgot to include the attachment in the post. Try now :)

(Have to hit the paperclip icon, then select the attachment to input it into the post, if that is how I think it works).

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still not having permissions to get the attachment:(
:( Yeah, just found out that only admins can view attachments atm for some reason..

Uploaded to PB, try that (although now it makes my post up there reallywide! lol)

K

Kiminality

You could have promoted me to admin, instead of making your post wide...
*Whistles innocently*

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
10cm - lucky you...

Hey Orvago, 10 cm = 4 inches :p

Unless you mean he's lucky for having such a wide monitor.

Personally I have 1920x1200 resolution + second monitor.

Fixed width FTL.

K

Kebet

But what about people who dont have a wide screen? cant they make the columns variable so people can adjust it to fit their own screen? Scrolling sideways is sooooooooooooooo annoying :( .

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
10cm - lucky you... :eek:

Yeah, I'd like to see it fit the width of one's monitor/resolution settings also. :)
What's funny, Orvago, is if I use the horizontal scrollbar to move over to center your part of the thread with the pic of my post in it, it (from left side line in the handle area, to the far right border, is EXACTLY the right size (a few pixels on either side visible at best).

K

Kebet

If this format is only temporary then I can deal with the dreaded sidescroll but I am seeing posts that people like it and asking about making it permanent so who knows. Just want to get 2 cents in now for small screen peoples everywhere! :)

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ummm... aren't these forums just temporary?
There is the possibility of merging the old forum data into VBB, this similar setup, so feedback on setups, layouts, functionality, ect. for these forums now is great! :)

F

Fayled Dhreams

It say so but I wish to keep them :cool:
That's something we're very much considering. In that case we might keep the shell of these forums but import the old user database and post database (creating a forum that looks like this but has all the posts and accounts the old one had).

Thoughts on this? How do you guys feel about these forums vs. UBB?
couple of general Template changes ... such as adding a "Re:" reference without needing to continually quote whom your replying to ...

a "deeper" threaded veiw ... (some already "get lost" in the hyper veiw and are only marked "More replies below current depth..." just checked ... threaded too )

Either a template change OR an ability to put windows in a different (more logical per user) order ... (Re:

Can the threaded mode be set up to put the box that has the thread links BELOW the post opened instead of above it?
)

Import alll the old smilies back in ...[wink]

Absolutely Positively without hesitation MAKE SUBSCRIBING TO PLUS FEATURES AVAILABLE AGAIN

and I'll give it a nod ...

Save UO - Save the cheerleaders ... (AesSedai 10/31/07)

D

DarkChronus

But what about people who dont have a wide screen? cant they make the columns variable so people can adjust it to fit their own screen? Scrolling sideways is sooooooooooooooo annoying :( .
You can make dynamically wide pages, yes... quite easily in fact ;)

I second the motion to make forums more widescreen friendly. Even though my laptop is busted (which is widescreen) and am using a "square" monitor at the moment, I feel for those who have to deal with the itty bitty column ;)

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually with some tweaks to the template... forum width and font sizes could easily be a user option (and saved in the cookie).

+1 vote for vB. :)

Mith

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the quick style selector there is a UO wide screen, A version of the the rest of the sites in both fixed and fluid will appear over the next few days.

G

Gallahan

Question for you guys - should the default template here be the fixed width (i.e. what was here before -- may leave some vacant space to the right/left of the forums) or variable width (the way it is now -- will always fit your entire screen but can seem "stretched out" some times)?

Thoughts?

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Variable, in my honest opinion.

People will want the forums to look like the old ones as much as possible, the more they change the less people will feel inclined to visit unfortunately.

K

Kebet

I dont really care if it looks the same as the old forum or is something completely new. I actually like the new look as long as it fits or I can make it fit on my puny 15 inch screen without scrolling sideways :)..so I guess my vote would be for variable.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Variable, in my honest opinion.

People will want the forums to look like the old ones as much as possible, the more they change the less people will feel inclined to visit unfortunately.
Think you meant to say some people will want....

I like the look of this one

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Certainly people have different opinions on what looks better, it's a general rule of thumb though forums lose activity for quite awhile after a drastic style/layout change. Keeping it as close as possible to the old forums while still using VB as the back end will be a good middle ground path that should satisfy the different tastes.

Raina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question for you guys - should the default template here be the fixed width (i.e. what was here before -- may leave some vacant space to the right/left of the forums) or variable width (the way it is now -- will always fit your entire screen but can seem "stretched out" some times)?

Thoughts?
Variable Width is, pretty much always my personal preference. I don't usually have my browser full screen so having to scroll left and right is always awkward.

Because with a fixed width style you can only have it for 1 size fits all, and I bet most people aren't going to be using the exact same window size.

My Two Cents

~Rai

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why, we are still the same UO community, mostly with same posting names.
I think the community mean more than the look of the forum.
Second, sometimes it can be a good thing with a new look

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Variable.

And oversized images scroll within the posts. Orvago, buddy... you're killing me here. :D

W

Wisty

Hey Orvago, 10 cm = 4 inches :p

Unless you mean he's lucky for having such a wide monitor.

Personally I have 1920x1200 resolution + second monitor.

Fixed width FTL.
Well, fix it for the bigger screens (in case I ever have one - lol), but don't forget us 19" inchers with very tired eyesight who don't want the usual tedium of scrolling to the right when someone posts something that throws everything askew as with the former software. The way I have mine set up right now, I have only 1" on either side. Yeah, larger print. Sooooo much easier on my eyes than the other software was. I'm growing fond of this new one.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Thoughts?
I would suggest a fixed width as a default - many folks still have non-wide monitors and the fixed is better. If someone wants a wide format, then the CP can be used to change the option. <shrug>