• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Halloween Quest : not my idea of fun...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally had my real life let me have some time to try out the Halloween Quest.

Ouch................

I guess that what might be fun for some, perhaps is not fun to others. Oh well........

Personally, I do not see a quest that needs be done over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to eventually get something, as my idea of fun. Look for some grass, kill some monsters, try getting a Troll to look for some red sparkles nowhere to be found other than most times placed in unreachable locations and then rinse and repeat the exact same actions for hours upon hours......

I would have much more preferred a very long quest, but varied, if the need was to have the player span many hours of game play to get a reward, rather than playing hours upon hours doing the same thing, repeatedly, over and over.

Oh well, I guess this Halloween won't be my cup of tea.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Ouch................

I guess that what might be fun for some, perhaps is not fun to others. Oh well........

Personally, I do not see a quest that needs be done over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to eventually get something, as my idea of fun. Look for some grass, kill some monsters, try getting a Troll to look for some red sparkles nowhere to be found other than most times placed in unreachable locations and then rinse and repeat the exact same actions for hours upon hours......

I would have much more preferred a very long quest, but varied, if the need was to have the player span many hours of game play to get a reward, rather than playing hours upon hours doing the same thing, repeatedly, over and over.

You only have to do it once to get something.
Killing stuff gets you three new decos.

I dont know what there is to complain about.

P

Prince Caspian

"After applying the crystal, the victim looks a little better."

Why oh why did we not have stacking?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ouch................

:violin:
You get a costume on your first run though, and its only one crystal. You don't have to do it again if you don't want.

T

The Fallout

Why oh why did we not have stacking?
I posted a thread on how to make an easy macro in the Enhanced Client, and people posted macros you can make with UOAssist on 2d. Saves you a whole lot of clicking LoL

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You only have to do it once to get something.
Killing stuff gets you three new decos.

I thought that to have a Halloween suit one needs to cure a gypsie which needs some 50-60 blue crystals (at least...) which means doing the same exact activity over and over tens upon tens upon tens upon tens of times............

The garb ? Well, the crystal which spawns the MoB giving it (only a low chance, mind you) is of a color which comes only every good number of blue crystals.
Again, this means doing the same exact activity over and over and over and over ad nauseam to get a garb...

I am not questioning the design choice of making it a lengthy activity for players to obtain some rewards. It is fine for me even that a player should quest some 20 hours to get a reward. I am criticizing the way to make it a lengthy process.

Rather than a repetead activity, I would have much preferred simply a long quest with many different things to do which took time. Not the same exact activities to be repeated over and over.

At least, that's how I see it.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I posted a thread on how to make an easy macro in the Enhanced Client, and people posted macros you can make with UOAssist on 2d. Saves you a whole lot of clicking LoL

Well if you want a robe there under 10 million now.

Sell the blue crystals for 200k. After 50 you have more then enough.

Not that time consuming.

Different ways to gain the new rewards

And thats not to say you dont get a yellow or 2 that go for 500k to 1 million.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I thought that to have a Halloween suit one needs to cure a gypsie which needs some 50-60 blue crystals (at least...) which means doing the same exact activity over and over tens upon tens upon tens upon tens of times............

The garb ? Well, the crystal which spawns the MoB giving it (only a low chance, mind you) is of a color which comes only every good number of blue crystals.
Again, this means doing the same exact activity over and over and over and over ad nauseam to get a garb...

I am not questioning the design choice of making it a lengthy activity for players to obtain some rewards. It is fine for me even that a player should quest some 20 hours to get a reward. I am criticizing the way to make it a lengthy process.

Rather than a repetead activity, I would have much preferred simply a long quest with many different things to do which took time. Not the same exact activities to be repeated over and over.

1 red crystal on the toy maker gets you 1 costume

There after 5 red crystals get you a costume.

Not that much work.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I think the halloween content was a hit. Many others do too.

G

Grinchy

I agree, to DISAGREE with you.

I agree with the OP. This is a senseless mindless WoW type quest that has no place in UO. Its quite possibly the worst Halloween event EVER... including the years that we didnt even have one! Why is it that every trammie in UO thinks this is a wonderful quest? Perhaps the majority of you should all go back to WoW or what ever other game you came from and leave UO to those of us who know what UO really is supposed to be.

As far as the costumes go... what are they good for?? NOTHING! The 3 new pieces of deco? DITTO, NOTHING!!
The ONLY thing worth even working for is the robe, and that part of the quest was very poorly designed.

O

onthefifty

the content given out in the event was over the top imho. the costumes, begging items, harbinger and the robe are all exceptional.

that being said the blue crystal grind could have been done a bit differently. i know some of you have amassed quite a few robes and i applaud you for it as a year out from now they will be highly sought after (think dread horse) but for myself i couldn't take doing the quest more than once on the shards i play on.

thats just me though...

nice job overall though to the dev's. :thumbup1:

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree with the OP. This is a senseless mindless WoW type quest that has no place in UO. Its quite possibly the worst Halloween event EVER... including the years that we didnt even have one! Why is it that every trammie in UO thinks this is a wonderful quest? Perhaps the majority of you should all go back to WoW or what ever other game you came from and leave UO to those of us who know what UO really is supposed to be.

As far as the costumes go... what are they good for?? NOTHING! The 3 new pieces of deco? DITTO, NOTHING!!
The ONLY thing worth even working for is the robe, and that part of the quest was very poorly designed.
Your name is very fitting.

The Devs hinted in the last FoF that the costumes may play a part in the coming event arc. Even if they don't, they were tossed in as a little bonus fun for those who want to participate, it's not manditory. No need to pee on everyone's cornflakes.

R

RavenWinterHawk

You have an appropriate name.

T

The Fallout

Well if you want a robe there under 10 million now.

Sell the blue crystals for 200k. After 50 you have more then enough.

Not that time consuming.

Different ways to gain the new rewards

And thats not to say you dont get a yellow or 2 that go for 500k to 1 million.
Yea, this is why I don't see the need to complain, there are plenty of ways to get the items. I got a robe easily from the gypsies and so far I have saved up 4 yellows and I have many costumes.

G

Grinchy

ROFL.... trammie's skins are sooooo thin!!!

Collect all the useless garbage you want, if it doesnt help me to advance my character in some way then it is useless.

Who the heck in their right mind logs in to play a game where all they do is decorate a house or put on some stupid wand that changes them into a monster?

T

The Fallout

Collect all the useless garbage you want, if it doesnt help me to advance my character in some way then it is useless.

Who the heck in their right mind logs in to play a game where all they do is decorate a house or put on some stupid wand that changes them into a monster?
Not to burst your bubble but anything anyone does in UO can be applied the same way.

Why do you pvp and advance your character? For fun, that is why people like decorative items, it's fun for them. Think of it like this: How you feel when you PWN someone is how someone else feels when they get a rare deco item for their house... empathy 101.

B

Busters

All i do is pvp usually, this is the first quest i participated in in a long time. The only useful thing i see in it is the robe for my pvp chars, other then that, the rest of the content is not of any use to me, but to each their own i guess.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've got too many robes to say. It never was over 50. Once it was 2, but that was because a very unfortunate group ran out of crystals and left. Most of the time it was 36-42.

I'm going to do it til they turn it off.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

from one of Kelmo's 'many':

Grinchy, what's it really supposed to be?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I thought the costume idea was brilliant: not unbalancing, but desirable to most players.

As far as enjoyment, I did the quest as many times as I wanted to. When I felt it was time to stop, I stopped.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I love this quest. I am still doing it and have complete it on 3 different shards (including Atlantic). In fact, I can't stop doing it until they close it down on the 15th. That will be good, because I need to get back to training my imbuing, but this has been a lot of fun for me. Just like Treasure's of Tokuno was last summer. I hope they do more events like this.

-OBSIDIAN-

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I enjoyed the quest, was a different change of pace.

Oh and...

MMO[RPG]
Role Playing Game

Those who took part in the quest took on a role to play. Assisting in the investigation.

Thats what UO is about. Finding what you want to do, and doing it. Who cares if it isnt what you want to do? Don't like it, Don't do it.

R

riohnyx

Who in their right mind logs in to a game just to kill other people's pixels? Oh...

rolleyes:

Variety is a good thing. There's something for everyone.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have to ask that silly question then obviously you never played pre-trammel.
Yeah, well Tram is here to stay it seems. Things change, time to adapt and move on. Quit complaining about the days gone by and deal with it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the content given out in the event was over the top imho. the costumes, begging items, harbinger and the robe are all exceptional.

that being said the blue crystal grind could have been done a bit differently. i know some of you have amassed quite a few robes and i applaud you for it as a year out from now they will be highly sought after (think dread horse) but for myself i couldn't take doing the quest more than once on the shards i play on.

thats just me though...

nice job overall though to the dev's. :thumbup1:

I am only noting that perhaps, hardness in obtaining certain rewards could have been designed still in a lengthy way (more complex and long quests), if this was the goal, but without having players have to necessarily engage in activities that needed so much rinse and repeat.

It may be only me, but personally, I cannot see rinse and repeat as "fun".....

G

Grinchy

Yeah, well Tram is here to stay it seems. Things change, time to adapt and move on. Quit complaining about the days gone by and deal with it.
What I find truly funny is the fact that all of you asshat trammies are Mods of some sort here on stratics. Thats just total irony... you know nothing about the game, its history or how to do anything other than try to make it into the next WoW, yet you get mod rights here... too funny even for words

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm at ten years in a couple months.

PvP is for children and the mentally unstable.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as enjoyment, I did the quest as many times as I wanted to. When I felt it was time to stop, I stopped.

I merely tried to voice my personal point about fun, I guess........

I can't, for the life of me, see "rinse and repeat" activities anywhere near being fun.

To me, it is boring, repeating, tedious.

But that is only me. I could never find interesting or fun doing the same thing over and over, rinse and repeat, that is.

If the awarding of a given prize need to be designed a lengthy process, well, why not then make it a more complex and lengthy quest spanning over many hours real time rather than having the same short process have to be repeated over and over (rinse and repeat), "ad nauseam" ??

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MMO[RPG]
Role Playing Game

Those who took part in the quest took on a role to play. Assisting in the investigation.

Thats what UO is about. Finding what you want to do, and doing it. Who cares if it isnt what you want to do? Don't like it, Don't do it.

Perhaps I could not express myself clearly enough.....

I am not questioning the fact that the Halloween Event has quests.

That is fine with me.

I am questioning the "rinse and repeat" that is designed as necessary in order to gain certain rewards.

I am NOT questioning the lengthy process in aquiring those rewards, I have no problem with certain items requiring a long process to be obtained by players.

But to my opinion, these lengthy processes should be designed otherwise, not with the same short quest having to be repeated over and over for tens of times but with simply 1 very long and complex quest, well varied, that gets the player to the end goal over a long process of time and WITHOUT having to redo the same actions over and over to make it long.

It may be only me, but doing the same actions over and over does not qualify as fun to me.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
So obviously stated by an almost 10 year noob who never learned to PvP.
I think there's been some miscommunication. Somehow, we've given you the impression that we cared what you thought. On behalf of all of us, I apologize for misleading you.

G

Grinchy

I think there's been some miscommunication. Somehow, we've given you the impression that we cared what you thought. On behalf of all of us, I apologize for misleading you.
Ditto! I could give a sh*t less what any of you think. Why not go ruin another game and leave UO alone?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why all the whining? Don't like the rewards or the quests, don't do it. Period. Obviously many many players really like them so obviously this whole event is a success.

Although now that I think about it, most of the whining here are from trolls. Save the very few complaints about the blue crystals.

G

Grinchy

LOL.... One word sums up about 98% of the UO Stratics population and Mods...... CAREBEAR

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL.... One word sums up about 98% of the UO Stratics population and Mods...... CAREBEAR
Why? Because they like the Halloween quests and don't give a rats ass over your pathetic trolling? lol

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Maybe you PvP, maybe you don't. You seem to be the only one here who feels the need to promote yourself above others - a solid PvPer wouldn't feel compelled to do this.

If you were so good, we'd know you. As it is, we don't know you from Adam.

:next:

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you were so good, we'd know you. As it is, we don't know you from Adam.

:next:
Lol this one is funny. All good pvper..."ahem"excuse me I mean Most pvpers dont even read stratics or post here. Yes I know quite a few do come to these boards. But a whole hell of alot don't. So to sum it up......You don't know every good pvper. The Op has a good point however about doing the same thing over and over again. Sure I like the nice decos and stuff. But it's still stupid to have to grind over and over for these things. Also not worth paying alot of gold to vendors in Luna or elsewhere to obtain them at ripoff prices. Call me a troll if you want like you do everyone else that doesn't agree with you. But what are forums for? Hmm? Oh yea reading posts and posting replies or starting your own threads. Thats not trolling. It's called using the forums for what they are intended for.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Lol this one is funny. All good pvper..."ahem"excuse me I mean Most pvpers dont even read stratics or post here. Yes I know quite a few do come to these boards. But a whole hell of alot don't. So to sum it up......You don't know every good pvper. The Op has a good point however about doing the same thing over and over again. Sure I like the nice decos and stuff. But it's still stupid to have to grind over and over for these things. Also not worth paying alot of gold to vendors in Luna or elsewhere to obtain them at ripoff prices. Call me a troll if you want like you do everyone else that doesn't agree with you. But what are forums for? Hmm? Oh yea reading posts and posting replies or starting your own threads. Thats not trolling. It's called using the forums for what they are intended for.
Umm...it's pretty clear you haven't read a single post in this thread or any of my posts. I've agreed with virtually everyone and I haven't called anyone a troll.

You say I call everyone a troll who disagrees with me? A quick search of stratics shows that I've never even used the word "troll" in my previous 1,300+ posts.

Go fish?