• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Greater Dragons should be banned from events, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

altarego

I'm not comfortable with the idea of allowing players to designate what type of pets, template, etc. their fellow players may use. There just aren't enough smart people in the MMO world for this.
Not enough smart people = that's why we have tamers. To be honest, I'm not comfortable allowing any player to dominate any strategic situation just because they worked longer (i.e. training taming) to get to that template. That smacks of WoW.

People need to stop thinking of GD's as entitlements and think more along the lines of what might be best to balance the game.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a suggestion long ago that GD's should go aggro when around other GD's, tamed or otherwise.

In other words:

1 GD by itself = no change
2+ GD's within 10 tiles of each other = increased chance of going wild

...and so on, with an increased chance of going wild when around more and more GD's.

This wouldn't hurt the solo tamer in pvm or even pvp, but it would make them think twice before showing up to an event.
ROFL

Could you imagine the events then? Not only do you have the Mobs to fight but 20-30 Greater dragons too? This would be awesome!!!!

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I made a suggestion long ago that GD's should go aggro when around other GD's, tamed or otherwise.

In other words:

1 GD by itself = no change
2+ GD's within 10 tiles of each other = increased chance of going wild

...and so on, with an increased chance of going wild when around more and more GD's.

This wouldn't hurt the solo tamer in pvm or even pvp, but it would make them think twice before showing up to an event.
No but, you would hurt guild hunts and community hunts. You would also
have problems at the stables and any city that is populated. You will also
get people doing the grief if a solo tamer is at a spot they want. Also
hunting in destard.

Simple thing

Dragons to look like Chicken
[] On
[] Off

Also I like my tamer. I name my pets and roleplay with them at times.
They are just like one of my other characters. I like to train their skills.
Calling people stupid for being a tamer is not very nice IMO.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jirel, frankly, I could really care less if you were paying for 1000 accounts - Your right to complain is no greater than the person who pays for just one.

Look. Even if EAMythic made it so that events may only be attended by those with completely empty packs and standing in nothing but their paperdoll undies, people would STILL whine that those with Wrestling skill should be banned from events because they're clearly overpowered.

Goodbye. Again.

C

Coragin

I have 5 Tamers, one is my THunter. I use different pets for different things. But I also have a Sampire and a Whammy (Wraith Sampire) and my whammy is my fav char. But the person that posted the chicken thing on off idea got me thinking.

UOA has an option to make your char look like other things (client side only), why not ask them to put that feature in for dragons. Would it be against the rules to make a program to do just that?

As to OP, is it just me or is this someone complaining they dont want to be forced to change their play style but wants to force others to change theirs? You can bring your tamer but no GD? Isint this like saying you can bring your archer, but no balanced/SSI bows? You can bring your dexxer, but no kryss? Seems rather silly and more than anything hypocritical.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

People use them because they don't know how to do anything else. In a lot of cases they aren't even the best pet to use but apparently they don't bother to lore what they're fighting or even their own pet to see what its damage is. People come in to the game with their friends ask what to do and get advised to make Tamers & Archers mostly, they aren't the most effective characters, they are characters that instantly put them in a rut where they play the same way forever more and never learn the rest of the game.

Farming loot for working Imbuing at Swoops I constantly end up sharing the spot with someone using a GD or Cu, completely unfazed by it taking them 10+ minutes to kill one compared to the 30 seconds it takes using the right pets and set up. I'm not trying to dictate what they use just emphasizing the point that they are mostly clueless and don't know how to do anything else.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, for one, don't condone posts that are about someone quitting. Most of could care less, and won't ask you to stay.

Also, I don't promote quitting and returning. Ultima is something most players put alot of time into. That's a serious investment of your life at home. Often, real life things are put off because of the UO addiction. If I did quit (hypothetical), I'd sure as hell wouldn't admit to it....

I have a tamer, and Greater Dragons aren't that hot. One, you have to run around on foot,....a big turn off. My cu or dread are suffice.

Man, 780 bucks a year for an online game?? I dunno dude......

later

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could see what one might come from, such if they are a dexxer warrior at an event but they feel more like a gust of wind to the monster and don't feel like they are contributing because they know it's the GDs that are doing all the real work. Not that I really care, but just stating something I used to be able to relate to and feel discouraged by, but now i'm one of the many with a GD.

However, I think it would be nice to see more tamables that would be at par with the Greater Dragon (e.g. 2 greater nightmares or something) just to have more of a variety because the greater dragons just overwhelm the screen, it's just sad seeing 1 million GDs and maybe one kirin, it's like we don't care about taming anything else anymore because it has become watered down and or GD is that much more easier than group pets. I'm just saying, it would be nice to see more choices out there that would be at a similar level as the greater dragon.

A

altarego

No but, you would hurt guild hunts and community hunts. You would also
have problems at the stables and any city that is populated. You will also
get people doing the grief if a solo tamer is at a spot they want. Also
hunting in destard.

Simple thing

Dragons to look like Chicken
[] On
[] Off

Also I like my tamer. I name my pets and roleplay with them at times.
They are just like one of my other characters. I like to train their skills.
Calling people stupid for being a tamer is not very nice IMO.
So they could turn off the GD vicinity check if in a guard zone. That'd be pretty easy. But guild hunts? Why do tamers feel that their only recourse is a GD in large scale events? Why do they feel entitled to pull out their juggernaut hammer without any chance of decay or risk of loss?

It's not that GD's are overpowered. It's that tamers have a definite lack of creativity. Time for change, methinks.

T

Trebr Drab

Besides being a huge blight on the screen, GDs are overpowered. They should all be sent to the Color Fixative factory.

Let tamers raise baby dragons from eggs to a smaller and less powerful version.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greater dragons are a trade off. They take five slots so going everywhere on foot is required. And that can be a pain, especially when trying to run away. There are better pets if you want to dish out damage, but GDs make excellent tanks with their high resists/wrestle/HP. So yeah people will go for the trade off, especially at events where it's a centralized boss with unknown damage dealing capabilities. Better to send in your best shield if you don't know what you're up against eh?

They are big, I definitely wouldn't mind a smaller option. Maybe some kind of alice in wonderland eat me/drink me thing we could feed to pets to shrink them or restore them to their natural size? How cute would a house cat sized bake kitsune be, anyways? :p

EMs can possibly setup events so they dis-include greater dragons, though I can see that being a potentially unpopular move. It would not be so hard for the EM prior to the event to say "No greater dragons, all greaters seen at this event will be telestormed (or rather RP it up)" then follow through when someone breaks the rules.

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a tamer and have a stable full of pets. My favorite is my dragon. Have said that I also hate to go to events and find that all you see there is a cloud of red and gray. I stopped doing events because of many things and the dragon thing was one of them. I don't however think special rules should apply to people that are using tamed pets that are within the rules. One solution is to reduce the size of the dragons leaving their stats intact. It doesnt have to be big to be powerful. Another thing is to have the events in large areas and not inside of buildings or dungeons. Events are not what they used to be anyways.
I'm all for shrinking Greater Dragons down to Hiryu size, and letting Tamers ride em. Solves all problems, makes everyone tickled happy.

M

Mr. Gnome

I'm not gonna read anything except for the title...

but AGREED! (along with all over-sized pets)

S

Sindris

I really don't find the dragons any more annoying than the mages spamming energy vortexes from half a screen away. How is that any better? At least you have to heal a dragon to keep it alive, a vortex is throw away pet.

I don't go to events any more. I don't care about the worthless eye candy they throw around and I don't like most of the SORT of people who do show up for these events foaming at the mouth for something new to sell on their Luna vendors.

T

Trebr Drab

Greater dragons are a trade off. They take five slots so going everywhere on foot is required. And that can be a pain, especially when trying to run away. There are better pets if you want to dish out damage, but GDs make excellent tanks with their high resists/wrestle/HP. So yeah people will go for the trade off, especially at events where it's a centralized boss with unknown damage dealing capabilities. Better to send in your best shield if you don't know what you're up against eh?

They are big, I definitely wouldn't mind a smaller option. Maybe some kind of alice in wonderland eat me/drink me thing we could feed to pets to shrink them or restore them to their natural size? How cute would a house cat sized bake kitsune be, anyways? :p

EMs can possibly setup events so they dis-include greater dragons, though I can see that being a potentially unpopular move. It would not be so hard for the EM prior to the event to say "No greater dragons, all greaters seen at this event will be telestormed (or rather RP it up)" then follow through when someone breaks the rules.
My feeling is that those other high damage pets are over powered as well. It's unbalancing, leaves non-tamers wondering how to compete for looting rights and spawn, and leaves the regular animals as pets behind, even in numbers (especially because of the death rate).

I really don't find the dragons any more annoying than the mages spamming energy vortexes from half a screen away. How is that any better? At least you have to heal a dragon to keep it alive, a vortex is throw away pet.

I don't go to events any more. I don't care about the worthless eye candy they throw around and I don't like most of the SORT of people who do show up for these events foaming at the mouth for something new to sell on their Luna vendors.
I agree about EVs, also elementals. And no extra skill slots taken either.

Overall, pets and summons, I think they should go more in the way of defense; tanking, special abilities such as healing, curing, blessing, and buffing the owner, while still maintaining some combat abilities for some pets too.

At this point, if they weaken tamers, there has to be a trade off to keep the feathers unruffled. I think "raising" pets and breeding, along with new colors, can be the way to do that. I think there should be different ability versions for each kind too. One pet dragonling might be a pure fighter, and another might be a pure mage, while others might be pure support with magical heals etc. Breeding any two could make this new egg hatch a combination, and maybe a chance for a superior version. Same with colors, stripes, spots, too. And tastefully done, I would hope.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
So they could turn off the GD vicinity check if in a guard zone. That'd be pretty easy. But guild hunts? Why do tamers feel that their only recourse is a GD in large scale events? Why do they feel entitled to pull out their juggernaut hammer without any chance of decay or risk of loss?

It's not that GD's are overpowered. It's that tamers have a definite lack of creativity. Time for change, methinks.
Simply put its their choice.

Just like the longer ranged bush/honor archers and long ranged necro/mages with massive SDI.

I just don't understand why they should have a risk of loss. Thats like telling dexers and mages you cannot have insurance on so they have a risk of loss.

I am a tamer but ask anyone on Cheseapeake its either my Cu or my Beetle/Mare. I am very attached to them. I also like my Frenzied ostard 5 pack heh.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont let the door hit you in the behind

CYA please drop all your stuff at random locations

TY for participating

B

bumblefutz

EA development process:

1) Have some tamer-lover add tamed Ancient Wyrms to the game, something tamers had been asking for and getting laughed at for years because it would be so overpowered.

2) Call them "greater dragons" and blow a smokescreen about how dragons used to be hard. Act like it's some sort of PVE difficulty buff.

3) Stumble around while all aspects of the game creak and suffer under this idiotic tamer buff. Yeah, like poor tamers were SO underpowered before this. Jeez.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The effectiveness of tamers has been greatly muted since the release of the Stygian Abyss expansion. Pets are useless against Slasher of the Veils and the new peerless. Also, any pet aside from mountables are two slow to drag through the Abyss. Moreover, recent EM events, to including the global invasion of Luna, have included creatures who are completely healed by pets and summons, rendering pets not only disadvantageous, but actually harmful.

I understand your argument, friend, but I don't think that it bears any semblance to reality. To say that tamers still dominate UO is not an accurate reflection of reality, at least on Atlantic. If you are, really and truly, leaving solely because of greater dragon usage, you might want to reassess.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

V

Vhyle

So 64.95+149.95+29.99= 244.89 ...Does that quailfy me to be allowed to complain just a little?
No, it doesn't. Nobody forced you, or put a gun to your head, to pay that much for UO accounts. That's solely your problem.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to point out:

This game is about playing a play-style that is our own choice. EA should not limit our own play-styles especially for events!

Even if they did stop dragons from being able to be used for events you know what would happen? They would all bring beetles or something else. Pets would STILL be abundant at events.

M

maroite

Okay before I start I'm going to save alot of you the trouble of insulting me.
Yes, I am a whiny pancake. No, I'm not a tamer hater; I got one myself just not my favorite template to run. Yes, I have quit UO for 30 days I came back today only to decide to make my quit permant and my sister is quiting too.

Okay now I'm gonna break down the math I'm paying for 5 accts, 5 SA upgrades, and a account upgrade so my sis could transfer a house to 5th account. So let's see 12.99 X 5= $64.95. 5 SA upgrades 29.99 X 5 = 149.95
1 account storage increase/7th char slot combo code 29.99.

So 64.95+149.95+29.99= 244.89 ...Does that quailfy me to be allowed to complain just a little?

I pay for this stuff for my sister. She conviced me to give it another whirl today. So we ran around the abyss and the new SA stuff. There was a Event on Legends today so sis though we should go.

It was a net toss and every tamer on the shard had brought a DAMNED GREATER DRAGON!! No one could get a hit on anything. period.

There was at least 20 Greaters there. Several archers, Meleers and other non-tamers complained to the EM Tashik to please do something.

Tashik said he couldn't tell people what template to play. I replied, that I'm not saying tamers can't play but bring another pet like a Cu or Rune Beetle or something.

I was then told by a "Greater Draggy Dragger" to STFU and get a tamer!

I replied to that person "don't shove your play style down my throat!"

Is there a happy medium or basically you have to have a tamer to participate in events. So are events become a Taming skill only club everyone else not welcome? What happened to balance in UO??

Wouldn't be simpler to have the tamer leave the Greater Dragons at home?

Tamers have Cus, Rune beetles, Nightmares, Dread Mares, FireSteeds and bunch of other I can't think of atm. Wouldn't it be simpler for them to bring one of those??

I guess once again I'm the pancake and I'm wrong...And this is why I'm leaving UO.
See your post title. Then see bold. Then ask yourself one question.

If I don't like being forced to play a certain way, should I attempt to force others into playing a certain way?

After this GREAT realization of hypocracy, get the enhanced client, go to settings and key bindings and for heavens sake bind "Target Next Enemy" to a key. This will make being able to "see" things because of other players play styles a non-issue.

P.S. Just because you pay ungodly amounts of money for something, which is your choice to do, doesn't mean you're worth any more than other people.

You can complain all you want, but the amount of money you spend doesn't make your complaint anymore valid.

M

maroite

Besides being a huge blight on the screen, GDs are overpowered. They should all be sent to the Color Fixative factory.

Let tamers raise baby dragons from eggs to a smaller and less powerful version.
... thats not exactly taming now is it? Thats just raising an animal.

Also, why stop there? Take weapons/ammo off of vendors and make them not tradable. That way swordsman and archers have to work for their weapons too.

Also, remove LMC/LRC items so casters have to once again be penalized by reagents.

Not enough smart people = that's why we have tamers. To be honest, I'm not comfortable allowing any player to dominate any strategic situation just because they worked longer (i.e. training taming) to get to that template. That smacks of WoW.

People need to stop thinking of GD's as entitlements and think more along the lines of what might be best to balance the game.

You mean like taking SDI/DI, SSI, FC/FCR, and LMC/LRC out of the game? That's pretty balancing.

Oh, and I love how you just insult people. "Not enough smart people = that's why we have tamers"

Yeah, because its sooooooo hard to spam lightning strikes or whirlwinds and push bandage hot key if you take damage. . . :twak:

Everyday I read these forums, I wonder why the devs even begin to listen to the people complaining about tamers. The general argument I have seen thus far is. . .

"Tamers are so overpowered!" <period>

Thats it. No examples why, at least none that can't be easily countered with another build being able to do the same thing, and many times even more efficiently than a tamer.

Just wanted to say for peeps that still complain about this. You do know what ctrl and shift do. If not you will be amazed. So quit yer beechin.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just wanted to say for peeps that still complain about this. You do know what ctrl and shift do. If not you will be amazed. So quit yer beechin.
Please do not resurrect 10 year old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.