• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Good News Everyone!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry for the delay on this everyone, we have been working at it pretty much non-stop for the last 3 days and hope to have everything ready soon, probably within the next day or two.

We are all actually in a meeting discussing it right now as I type this.

We ran into a few technical issues like having to link a paypal account to the donation page, deciding which donation levels to set, and what rewards will be available at each donation level. We have also realized that making promotional videos is harder than we thought!

Thank you for your patience and willingness to support us throughout this process :)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
...We ran into a few technical issues like having to link a paypal account to the donation page...
Well, I guess that doesn't leave an option for people PayPal doesn't seem to like. I had closed my account several years ago. Having been told I could still use PayPal to donate even if I don't have an account any longer, I tried to make a Statics donation. PayPal will not take my card. I did contact them but they never followed up with an explanation. I have never had my card refused anywhere and I have excellent credit.

Anyway, unless you guys can provide another way to make a donation, I guess I'm not going to be any help in that department. :(

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Well, I guess that doesn't leave an option for people PayPal doesn't seem to like. I had closed my account several years ago. Having been told I could still use PayPal to donate even if I don't have an account any longer, I tried to make a Statics donation. PayPal will not take my card. I did contact them but they never followed up with an explanation. I have never had my card refused anywhere and I have excellent credit.

Anyway, unless you guys can provide another way to make a donation, I guess I'm not going to be any help in that department. :(
We are also working on alternative/additional payment options in addition to Paypal, for similar reasons. Not everyone uses Paypal. :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see one issue here.
What if the staff group do not win the bidding or have to back out, because it get to expensive. What will happen to the donated money if it all fail?
I'm thinking of tossing in an even hundred, they can use it for a round of drinks if getting Stratics falls through, a parting salute to a great idea and all their effort. :grouphug:

Eight ways it should pay postage and the cost of a drink provided bar prices haven't gone up insane amounts in the thirty years since I've last been in a bar. o_O

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Still hard at work here, but into the home stretch now, folks. Just putting finishing touches on the video and IndieGoGo campaign, in between everyone's real life work schedules.

Few answers to questions raised:
If you'll take Visa I'm home free.
The site notes that campaigns can accept credit cards via other methods such as ApplePay. Planning to contact their Support staff tomorrow to work through any other options available...will keep you posted.
What if the staff group do not win the bidding or have to back out, because it get to expensive. What will happen to the donated money if it all fail?
Because the site is up for auction rather than set at fixed price, this is one of our documented risks.
  • If we don't reach our target fundraising goal, all money will be refunded automatically by the fundraising site.
  • In the case that we do reach our target but the bidding still exceeds donations, we've identified several potential sources for contingency funding to make up a reasonable gap.
While we're fairly confident that our estimates will cover most contingencies, it is still possible that someone could bid up the price beyond anyone's expectations and our ability to purchase. In that unlikely scenario we would contact donors individually regarding refunds.

Thanks again to everyone for your remarkable endorsements and support; more info available when the campaign goes live, which will be asap!

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Still hard at work here, but into the home stretch now, folks. Just putting finishing touches on the video and IndieGoGo campaign, in between everyone's real life work schedules.

Few answers to questions raised:

The site notes that campaigns can accept credit cards via other methods such as ApplePay. Planning to contact their Support staff tomorrow to work through any other options available...will keep you posted.

Because the site is up for auction rather than set at fixed price, this is one of our documented risks.
  • If we don't reach our target fundraising goal, all money will be refunded automatically by the fundraising site.
  • In the case that we do reach our target but the bidding still exceeds donations, we've identified several potential sources for contingency funding to make up a reasonable gap.
While we're fairly confident that our estimates will cover most contingencies, it is still possible that someone could bid up the price beyond anyone's expectations and our ability to purchase. In that unlikely scenario we would contact donors individually regarding refunds.

Thanks again to everyone for your remarkable endorsements and support; more info available when the campaign goes live, which will be asap!
Crossing my fingers and wishing you success!

But I'm not doing "ApplePay"... o_O

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know ...RON was a total outsider who didnt play UO and had no interest in UO....but he didnt ruin the site. People might hate change or disagree with change, but change is good, change is healthy

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People might hate change or disagree with change, but change is good, change is healthy
Change can also be disastrous. Depends how much of a clue and how much common sense there is wandering around between the changers ears. <g> Change can be bad and even deadly if the change falls into the brainfart catagory.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Admittedly, I'm one of those conservative 'afraid of change' types. However whether people like it or not, change is going to happen in a few short weeks. So you may as well embrace it and try make the best of it. Assisting the current moderators with their funding process is probably the best chance that we can assure ourselves that change will be minimal and led by people who actually play the game.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People often believe anything new is better, better made, better working, better lasting, etc, etc. Sadly the opposite is commonly true but their minds are trained to buy the sales pitches and claims of the salesmen has they spread all the good words about a product and avoid mentioning any faults and weaknesses the older version doesn't have. As the saying goes, "Let the buyer beware." Your likely to be bit on the rump by that "wonderful this century supremely well made" whatever. The rule these days is to make it has cheaply as possible, it's only got to last until the warrenty runs out. Why new things rarely outlast the old products that were old when the new item was produced, and still working when the new product has to be replaced.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Change CAN be good. Change CAN be healthy.

Doesn't mean it always is. And if the wrong person wins this site, you'll see how naive your sentiment is.
NO Sorry I gotta disagree with ya there...all change takes us out of our comfort zone....that requires change in us and growth....so ya all change is good...even the types that seem disastrous, cause in the end you are stronger and better able to adapt.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My dislike of change is primarily due to the fact that new changes usually come around long before I've completely adjusted to the previous ones. o_O

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
What happens if your raised funds are outbid?
Something to consider, and why my own investment team is pulling out.

The auction is a wild card that will do more harm than good.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
....so ya all change is good...even the types that seem disastrous, cause in the end you are stronger and better able to adapt.
Your stronger and better able to adapt, or your so badly screwed over by the change your worse off with less options. :stretcher:

You don't always roll a good number during those saving throws in life.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NO Sorry I gotta disagree with ya there...all change takes us out of our comfort zone....that requires change in us and growth....so ya all change is good...even the types that seem disastrous, cause in the end you are stronger and better able to adapt.

Ravenant....BOOM!

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I'm not sure if you got that from a motivational poster or a fortune cookie, but it's credulous and a little sad :(

And I hope for my sake and yours I don't get to prove you wrong. I happen to enjoy this site and hope the board comes through with the money to keep it in the hands of UO players.

Ossy

Adventurer
I dont know ...RON was a total outsider who didnt play UO and had no interest in UO....but he didnt ruin the site. People might hate change or disagree with change, but change is good, change is healthy
And honestly, sometimes it's better to have someone that isn't invested in the item of interest as they can look at it with a more critical eye and make decisions without bias.

Someone that plays UO and has an interest, they have a bias towards what they like and make decisions based on that. So some aspects can be neglected.

For example, if I was in charge, chances are I'd spend less time on PvP aspects because I have no interest in it.

A wide ranging team behind it can handle that as long as each member of the team is respected and given equal weight.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup! Ronbron and I play the same game just different servers.

Sometimes you need a fresh perspective to understand the community better than the community itself.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am going to raise $1000. In two weeks!

I am working on that plan as you read this. I am very good at the things I set my mind to.

I will keep the Stratics Users up dated with my plans and progress. This might get weird.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Paypal wouldn't take my card, it's the one I'd given them back when I put up with them. Two major retailers accepted it earlier today and it has plenty of balance left, got another way to get the $100 to you?
YES! Thanks so much for the support!

If Zuckuss' suggestions don't work, please feel free to PM me and hopefully I can help troubleshoot, and/or work with IndieGoGo's Support team to get it resolved. As a last resort, we can look at another means to donate without using Paypal, but unfortunately it turned out it was the only funding option for fixed campaigns (ie where people automatically get refunded if we don't meet our campaign goal.) :-(

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tanivar,

Try it as a guest if it is not working for you while signed in. make sure all fields are entered correctly including expiration date.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your support.
No joy, it's telling me

Pay with a credit or debit card
Error Message

The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number.

I'll contact my CC tomorrow and see if they have some security issue with it.

EDIT: Returning the $100 isn't a concern. Send everyone on that list above a share and tell them to buy themselves a favorite drink.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Is there a physical address to send a simple check? Even this time of year the basic mail moves fairly well. Some folks fear stepping into cyber pay systems.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
No joy, it's telling me

Error Message

The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number.

Ok, thanks again. If there is anything I/we can do to help let us know.

Re: sending a check or other means of donating, from our perspective we are not opposed to that on the surface...but let me run it past the staff to make sure we're all on board and there aren't any issues that might be problematic that we need to consider or resolve.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I would say mailed checks do not count for the total on the "big board" until deposited in Stratics bank account. That will be after the LLC thing.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Ok, thanks again. If there is anything I/we can do to help let us know.

Re: sending a check or other means of donating, from our perspective we are not opposed to that on the surface...but let me run it past the staff to make sure we're all on board and there aren't any issues that might be problematic that we need to consider or resolve.
I'm sorry but who are you?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
She was brought on staff a couple months ago to help build the Wiki page we are working on, and has been a huge help in creating this fundraiser and throughout this whole process.
She just joined stratics a few months ago(September of this year). Apologies if I am a bit curious. Threw me off that she'd be speaking in terms of "we". How often will people be brought in as senior staff like this?

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
She just joined stratics a few months ago(September of this year). Apologies if I am a bit curious. Threw me off that she'd be speaking in terms of "we". How often will people be brought in as senior staff like this?
All the good ones get to be senior staff!
I have volunteered for almost a year now. I think they know better than to give me senior staff abilities. One heated pvp thread and then next thing you know... "Uhhhhh guys? Yeah uhm..... Well... Giggles banned half our users... Again..."
So in all fairness, recently their judgement has been pretty smart! lol

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
She seems to be on Stratics side. I like her.
I'm sure she's a terrific person. Just asking who she is and where she came from... seems like all of a sudden she's part of the people that are going to be "in charge" and some of us have never heard her name mentioned. I got nominated to ask, so I'm asking. *shrugs*

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
All the good ones get to be senior staff!
I have volunteered for almost a year now. I think they know better than to give me senior staff abilities. One heated pvp thread and then next thing you know... "Uhhhhh guys? Yeah uhm..... Well... Giggles banned half our users... Again..."
So in all fairness, recently their judgement has been pretty smart! lol
I found it kinda weird honestly. We both know you have the self-restraint not to ban people for no reason. I was actually hoping you might be in there to balance out some of the others. I guess I wont have an account here much longer otherwise. lol :.(

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No joy, it's telling me

Error Message

EDIT: Returning the $100 isn't a concern. Send everyone on that list above a share and tell them to buy themselves a favorite drink.
That's what happened to me. Only it was with my one and only credit card. :(

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You are pretty and dangerous Flutter. Is that what you want to hear? I know you are a Legend. I remember your bank sitting pose and mounts.

We are still influential personas Flutter. Don't toss it away.