• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Good News Everyone!

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks, this is something we'd planned to formally announce once the campaign had been posted, so we hope you’ll forgive our silence up until now regarding our intent. But given the interest and discussion we're seeing on these forums it seems like it might be a good time to give everyone a heads' up about what we have in the works, and hopefully build some enthusiasm (while allaying some of the conjecture) about who might be coming forward to put in a bid on the site.

The senior staff have been hard at work doing the research and planning to action a staff buyout of Stratics, including the formation of an LLC with a Board of Directors and charter for managing the site on a long-term basis. We are still in the initial steps of drafting and approving charters, filing articles of incorporation and getting professional consultation regarding the requirements for 501(c)3 status, so nothing to share publicly at the moment on those details…but this has been a unanimous decision pretty much since the moment Ron informed us that the site would be posted for auction.

From a funding standpoint, a crowd-source campaign will be part of the strategy, in addition to staff contributions and potential donations from "angel investors" who may be interested in helping ensure the longevity of the site (but not interested in participating in the day-to-day operations.) The ultimate goal of the project is to bring Stratics “home” one last time, and ensure there is never a situation under which the site will need to change ownership again in future.

We have spoken with Ron about this at some length, and have both his approval and blessing to pursue it, and will be posting further details about our plans and a link to the crowd-source campaign when it goes live. (Thank you, @Ron Bron for that vote of confidence.)

To those of you who have expressed your approval and support of the site's direction over the last year, we thank you also -- it's our fervent hope that you will also support our effort to bring Stratics back to “home rule,” once and for all. If so, we urge you to help us promote our campaign on these forums and with the rest of the UO community both past and present, and with contributions toward the funding if that is within your means.

In the meantime, please stay tuned for the announcement and link to the crowd-funding campaign, which we’ll be posting in these forums soon.

Edit: Here is the link to the crowd-funding campaign: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stratics-com-because-we-ve-all-been-there#/

~ The Stratics senior staff team
  • Captn Norrington- Administrator of Trade
  • Elenni- Wiki Editor
  • Larisa- Article Organizer
  • Nexus- Site Support Administrator
  • Oscar the Grouch- Site Support Administrator
  • Riyana- Events Coordinator
  • Tamais- Asst. Article Organizer / Wiki Editor
  • Zuckuss- Forum Administrator

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Folks, this is something we'd planned to formally announce once the campaign had been posted, so we hope you’ll forgive our silence up until now regarding our intent. But given the interest and discussion we're seeing on these forums it seems like it might be a good time to give everyone a heads' up about what we have in the works, and hopefully build some enthusiasm (while allaying some of the conjecture) about who might be coming forward to put in a bid on the site.

The senior staff have been hard at work doing the research and planning to action a staff buyout of Stratics, including the formation of an LLC with a Board of Directors and charter for managing the site on a long-term basis. We are still in the initial steps of drafting and approving charters, filing articles of incorporation and getting professional consultation regarding the requirements for 501(c)3 status, so nothing to share publicly at the moment on those details…but this has been a unanimous decision pretty much since the moment Ron informed us that the site would be posted for auction.

From a funding standpoint, a crowd-source campaign will be part of the strategy, in addition to staff contributions and potential donations from "angel investors" who may be interested in helping ensure the longevity of the site (but not interested in participating in the day-to-day operations.) The ultimate goal of the project is to bring Stratics “home” one last time, and ensure there is never a situation under which the site will need to change ownership again in future.

We have spoken with Ron about this at some length, and have both his approval and blessing to pursue it, and will be posting further details about our plans and a link to the crowd-source campaign when it goes live. (Thank you, @Ron Bron for that vote of confidence.)

To those of you who have expressed your approval and support of the site's direction over the last year, we thank you also -- it's our fervent hope that you will also support our effort to bring Stratics back to “home rule,” once and for all. If so, we urge you to help us promote our campaign on these forums and with the rest of the UO community both past and present, and with contributions toward the funding if that is within your means.

In the meantime, please stay tuned for the announcement and link to the crowd-funding campaign, which we’ll be posting in these forums soon.

~ The Stratics senior staff team
  • Captn Norrington- Administrator of Trade
  • Elenni- Wiki Editor
  • Larisa- Article Organizer
  • Nexus- Site Support Administrator
  • Oscar the Grouch- Site Support Administrator
  • Riyana- Events Coordinator
  • Tamais- Asst. Article Organizer / Wiki Editor
  • Zuckuss- Forum Administrator
YAY DIS BEEES GOOS . PITMUCK SUPPORTS DIS

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am not sure how I feel about this.

Can Zuckus really be trusted?

JP - Zuck' and I go way back and he is good people. If this is actually legit I think it sounds like an interesting thing.

:arr:

Last edited by a moderator:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This would be the absolute best case scenario to what could happen with this site that we have all become addicted to through our love of the game. I have always hated the idea that stratics could be at the mercy of a owner who didn't value the game or our community. Or that it could be at the mercy of someone who would turn it into something its not. This idea has my full support, and I will also donate to the cause.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Very intriguing indeed. On the face, I like it.

A few questions remain:

Not sure I like the idea of crowd funding. Too many people thinking their ownership is more than it really is. I think some angel investors is a good idea, but too few might not bring enough people to the table, too many could be a mess.

What happens if an investor/owner disagrees with the board? Or has a problem with a specific individual mod?

Are the funds brought in by advertisements going to be used to repay the investors/owners, or placed into an account for use on the site?

Either way, I look forward to further announcements on this.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before I donated and became vested. What exactly would it detail? Just a simple donation towards something? Like a Kickstarter type campaign with perks?! Would you be adding new features? Or would I just be donating to donate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Before I donated and became vested. What exactly would it detail? Just a simple donation towards something? Like a Kickstarter type campaign with perks?! Would you be adding new features? Or would I just be donating to donate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crowd funding is generally a donation platform like Kickstarter.

Those named in the llc would be the shareholders. Particularly the staff named above I'm guessing.

They'd be liable for upkeep of the site, the llc itself, etc.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Unless explicitly stated in the future by the board mods and those proposing purchase the site, donating to a kickstarter/crowdfunding campaign does not entail vested ownership. Any monies given would be a donation - not a capital contribution toward an investment fund. Additionally, even in the event that the LLC were to be run like an investment fund, a managing member would be named to run the LLC - it would not be some type of democratic endeavor whereby every decision is micro-managed and voted on by every person that donates. My understanding here is that the LLC will be forming some type of 'board of directors' (for lack of a better term) which will consist of existing mods who will then govern the site. That would be the managing member of the LLC. Especially for all those people who are saying "I'll donate money, but don't want any responsibility", this is the best case scenario for everyone. Maybe I'm wrong, but that what I take away from this announcement and my understanding of how LLC's work.

I think everyone needs to consider that it's already December 7th and this auction ends in only a few weeks. Those proposing to buy the site have a short time period to get all their ducks in a row and raise the funds to buy the site. I hope that any ideas from the Stratics Community put forward will be positive ones and don't slip into the pitfalls of debating every minor issue. In my humble opinion, if the Stratics Community doesn't want to risk seeing this site bought by some third-party investor who only sees dollar signs (and someone who could potentially materially alter the site for all we know), then the Community needs to band together, put petty differences aside and be ready to support the Moderators who are proposing to buy the site. They will have a lot of issues (from legal ownership, to managing the auction, etc.) to deal with in a short period of time. Let's do our part by focusing on the positive here.

I look forward to making a contribution and seeing any future announcements from the moderators. Please continue to keep the community apprised of the details.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, I guess I'll be that guy. The owner has intervened on numerous occasions to correct/override decisions that the staff have made. I have a concern that once the reigns are off, attitudes and personalities will no longer be contained. It might be a case of the devil you know is better than the devil you don't though.....

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[/LIST]
I am very, very skeptical that the IRS would recognize Stratics as being "organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes as set forth in Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)." To quote from the IRS website, "The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency." [ Exempt Purposes - Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) ]

It seems to me that you might have slightly better luck applying to the IRS for recognition as a "social club" under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(7); however, I think that you would have to require people to pay some kind of non-deductible membership fee to join/use Stratics and those membership fees would have to be the primary means of keeping the organization running. If you made any kind of fundraising solicitations, I think any contributions people might make would most likely not be tax-deductible and you would have to be extremely careful about telling contributors that in any fundraising solicitations to avoid the hefty penalties that apply for nondisclosure of the nondeductibility of contributions. Even if none of the staff is getting paid anything, you'd probably still need to worry about getting competent advice on how to handle annual tax filings as well as paying taxes on any income the organization might make in one way or another that is considered unrelated business income. [https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicc96.pdf ]

To sum up, I think it's completely unrealistic to hope Stratics would ever qualify for IRC Section 501(c)(3) status and that it's pretty doubtful it would ever qualify for any other kind of tax-exempt status under other sections of the Internal Revenue Code . (BTW, on pages 68-69 of IRS Publication 557, you can find a nice chart describing various types of tax-exempt organizations. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf )

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am very, very skeptical that the IRS would recognize Stratics as being "organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes as set forth in Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)." To quote from the IRS website, "The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency." [ Exempt Purposes - Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) ]

It seems to me that you might have slightly better luck applying to the IRS for recognition as a "social club" under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(7); however, I think that you would have to require people to pay some kind of non-deductible membership fee to join/use Stratics and those membership fees would have to be the primary means of keeping the organization running. If you made any kind of fundraising solicitations, I think any contributions people might make would most likely not be tax-deductible and you would have to be extremely careful about telling contributors that in any fundraising solicitations to avoid the hefty penalties that apply for nondisclosure of the nondeductibility of contributions. Even if none of the staff is getting paid anything, you'd probably still need to worry about getting competent advice on how to handle annual tax filings as well as paying taxes on any income the organization might make in one way or another that is considered unrelated business income. [https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicc96.pdf ]

To sum up, I think it's completely unrealistic to hope Stratics would ever qualify for IRC Section 501(c)(3) status and that it's pretty doubtful it would ever qualify for any other kind of tax-exempt status under other sections of the Internal Revenue Code . (BTW, on pages 68-69 of IRS Publication 557, you can find a nice chart describing various types of tax-exempt organizations. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf )
This was exactly my worry when people keep mentioning 501(c)(3) for Stratics. I do not believe it applies to it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agree with Longtooths. Long term site members leaving the site because of the current administration. (RIP Nails Warstein) The volunteers with the most professional experience, as well as long term experience leaving because of problems with the administration. it could be worse? i guess so. good luck.

:facepalm:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hey everyone! These are all great questions, and understandable that folks would want more information.

As we noted, we're having the draft Charter content reviewed and will be posting some of these types of details as it's finalized. We are currently working with professional consultants regarding the formation of the LLC and organization, tax exempt status, etc., and we don't want to jump the gun and give any misleading or incorrect answers until we have everything nailed down.

Our goal is to have the IndieGoGo campaign live within the next 24 hours, and we'll post a link just as soon as it's up. But in the meantime, we could use your help in another way.

IndieGoGo campaigns include slide shows of images about the campaign. We'd like to include all of you in this, since that's what Stratics is all about--you! Stratics is more than just an informational site. It's a community of all kinds of different people from all over the world united by our continued devotion to a game that many of us have been playing continuously or intermittently for the better part of two decades.

So we'd like you to submit images--screenshots, cartoons, drawings, whatever--about the great times you've had in UO. We'd especially love to see images of what part Stratics has played in your UO "life". I've created a new thread here for you to submit your images, and if they will work we may use them in the campaign. Head over and share some fun memories!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey everyone! These are all great questions, and understandable that folks would want more information.

As we noted, we're having the draft Charter content reviewed and will be posting some of these types of details as it's finalized. We are currently working with professional consultants regarding the formation of the LLC and organization, tax exempt status, etc., and we don't want to jump the gun and give any misleading or incorrect answers until we have everything nailed down.

Our goal is to have the IndieGoGo campaign live within the next 24 hours, and we'll post a link just as soon as it's up. But in the meantime, we could use your help in another way.

IndieGoGo campaigns include slide shows of images about the campaign. We'd like to include all of you in this, since that's what Stratics is all about--you! Stratics is more than just an informational site. It's a community of all kinds of different people from all over the world united by our continued devotion to a game that many of us have been playing continuously or intermittently for the better part of two decades.

So we'd like you to submit images--screenshots, cartoons, drawings, whatever--about the great times you've had in UO. We'd especially love to see images of what part Stratics has played in your UO "life". I've created a new thread here for you to submit your images, and if they will work we may use them in the campaign. Head over and share some fun memories!
Riyana, just be really, really careful about anything that is said in the fund-raising campaign about donations possibly being tax-deductible. There can be some pretty bad consequences when people get into using that kind of wording and it doesn't apply.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Please also consider that anything that is posted here will be able to be seen by other potential bidders. To the chagrin of other members, I would suggest using caution about any details of the charter posted. It should be bullet points at most. We don't need to derail any efforts by having the community over-analyze any details and debate them while fund raising is on-going.

Riyana, just be really, really careful about anything that is said in the fund-raising campaign about donations possibly being tax-deductible. There can be some pretty bad consequences when people get into using that kind of wording and it doesn't apply.
I concur with Tina's point here, as well as her points about whether or not it would be applicable to set up an LLC to run the website as non-for-profit or other type of tax-exempt entity. NFP's have a high standard to be met to get that status.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as im concerned there is nothing to analyze until they have official drafted up exactly how it will be set up. I wish them the best of luck, Im sure it will be a hard process no matter what the outcome.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I guess it is official that this team will get Stratics because the other thread was unstickied or the people controlling this doesn't want it up there to remind people.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I guess it is official that this team will get Stratics because the other thread was unstickied or the people controlling this doesn't want it up there to remind people.
anyone can bid and theres no buyout. hopefully someone wins the auction who is at least dedicated to the site and not just buying it for the domain, or to flat out run it into the ground. as far as i know its anyones game.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could support this, at least in theory until it is fleshed out.

but if I contribute I want a banner that says... "That is right I'm CFO waffles"
I bet It would more be like a non-voting owner/member like shares of stock for the world's best Green Bay Packers!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see Flutter on that roll-call.

Where's the fear and the Horror!! :D

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There is no use in promoting unfounded conspiracy theory here or on the other thread.

I bet It would more be like a non-voting owner/member like shares of stock for the world's best Green Bay Packers!
Depends how its set up, but it would be over-complicating the situation to make every single contributor some type of 'non-voting owner'. The contribution should be a gift-type of donation.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I threw a grand or so behind anyone's bid I would need some, for lack of a better word, "Stock" in the venture.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please also consider that anything that is posted here will be able to be seen by other potential bidders. To the chagrin of other members, I would suggest using caution about any details of the charter posted. It should be bullet points at most.
We must pass the bill before we can see what's in it... I've heard that before :p

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"If they pay a penie or two pence more for the reddinesse of them..let them looke to that, a foole and his money is soone parted."

~~~Dr. John Bridges' Defence of the Government of the Church of England, 1587

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I threw a grand or so behind anyone's bid I would need some, for lack of a better word, "Stock" in the venture.

That's kind of what I was hoping for. Hypothetically say, 10 investor/owners @ 600 bucks each with the board of directors chosen above handling the day to day operations. What exactly your 10% ownership entitles you to....I don't know. 20-30 bucks a month in advertising income?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's kind of what I was hoping for. Hypothetically say, 10 investor/owners @ 600 bucks each with the board of directors chosen above handling the day to day operations. What exactly your 10% ownership entitles you to....I don't know. 20-30 bucks a month in advertising income?
Yeah I honestly have no idea what investors should get/own or whatever. I'm sure if I was buying it, I would only accept donations so I could retain control. I imagine that is what will happen here as well.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
In the case that they do allow donors to become part owners, I wouldn't be expecting a monthly dividend. Any excess cash should stay with the website.

Also, even if you don't receive the money via distribution and the cash stays with the company, you as an owner might just still have to potentially claim that as unrealized passive income on tax return. Granted, it wouldn't be much (couple hundred bucks max annually if you owned 10%), but another piece of paperwork to consider.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if this is the new solution to trying to obtain Stratics then why was this not discussed and thought out way before it was put on flippa?

Any person that is actually trying to purchase the site on flippa can just outbid what you raise if they want it. Another issue would be if they want it for the official game actually or just shut it down because they have a grudge with Stratics in general. It may be a free sharder operator who wants to promote their own shard and why not a site that has been dedicated to UO since 98. Then there is no written agreement/contract with EA or BS that this site has to be tied in with UO. BS can easily make their own site. I had that feeling when the wiki was announced on their own site they were preparing to do their own thing. Most newer games have wikis for all the info needed. Forums are controlled by their gaming companies anymore. My account is tied to the forums for GW2 and it doesn't bother me one bit.

I could easily just bid 20k right now if I wanted to but as I looked at the numbers for the profit of each month and a rough estimate of only $2,500.00 was total added all together. Truly it wouldn't be feasible for me to invest that kind of money in a site that would take me at least 10 years to recoup my initial investment and hoped it made at least that amount of money. If UO didn't last the next ten years it would of been easier for me to just throw a match to my money and sing campfire songs. Just not my way of doing business.

Lets look at it in another way............

Your plan works and you all have this board that is about the site and running it. Then egos or personality conflicts arise. What happens then? If somebody just decided one day I don't want to do this anymore, is their position as a board member filled by a new member or just vacated? How do you fill in a new board member if you need to? Does the community have a say if a new replacement board members is needed or no? Some on the board may want the site go in one direction while others disagree it should go another direction and in the end somebody isn't happy and behind the scenes drama happens. It may go all well at the beginning but when you have to many in charge somebody always becomes the casualty.

I think I may invest in Tylenol because I think you all are going to need it :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The senior staff have been hard at work doing the research and planning to action a staff buyout of Stratics, including the formation of an LLC with a Board of Directors and charter for managing the site on a long-term basis
I wish you luck with it and hope all will go well and you won't end up getting burned. It's really alot of money for a forum that depend of a game and a community.
Lets say, Broadsword make their own forum and with Petra's add to UO Player Wiki, it could move alot of the community to there.
Or what if EA decite to close down UO, will Stratics survive that or will the money be lost? I don't want to sound negative but you are taking a big risk. I do hope Stratics will go to someone who love UO and I know you all do.
I was tempted too but decited it was to risky even when I can afford 6k, I can't afford to lose 6k if Stratics lose it's community,

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So if this is the new solution to trying to obtain Stratics then why was this not discussed and thought out way before it was put on flippa?
It was put up for auction without much notice given to others.

Any person that is actually trying to purchase the site on flippa can just outbid what you raise if they want it.
That doesn't mean they shouldn't atleast try. I'm sure you could agree that the ownership carosel situation hasn't been much better.

Your plan works and you all have this board that is about the site and running it. Then egos or personality conflicts arise. What happens then? If somebody just decided one day I don't want to do this anymore, is their position as a board member filled by a new member or just vacated? How do you fill in a new board member if you need to? Does the community have a say if a new replacement board members is needed or no? Some on the board may want the site go in one direction while others disagree it should go another direction and in the end somebody isn't happy and behind the scenes drama happens. It may go all well at the beginning but when you have to many in charge somebody always becomes the casualty.
Egos and personality conflicts are a potential pitfall for any business or endeavor. This is no different. Having the board in place, as opposed to individuals with ownership, would give them a way to get rid of any negative personalities if it really came down to it. It's an unavoidable risk.

It would be up to the board to fill any new positions. Not every detail, such as continuity of ownership, should be debated or up for community input. That's how things turn into a popularity contest and it would cause far more drama and debate than needed. A leader from within the board would need to step up and make a decision. In example, were you asked for your opinion when RonBron took over or any of the changes he made? I wasn't, but everything still went pretty well for the most part. The forums are still here and we had some new features added.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In example, were you asked for your opinion when RonBron took over or any of the changes he made? I wasn't, but everything still went pretty well for the most part. The forums are still here and we had some new features added.
Many people were asked for their opinions and many opinions were given. It was quickly apparent to me and others that, 1) there was an agenda and only opinions that coincided with it were appreciated. 2) People who had little to no current knowledge of the gaming culture and UO community had the owners ear. 3) The forums may still be here and I guess you could say that is "Pretty well.". However, you have to ask yourself, if he had listened to those passionate UO personalities and headed their advice, how much better of an outcome would he have had......I sincerely hope that one day he realizes that we were only trying to help him not make mistakes.....

RIP Ravenant
RIP Classifieds

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I wish you luck with it and hope all will go well and you won't end up getting burned. It's really alot of money for a forum that depend of a game and a community.
Lets say, Broadsword make their own forum and with Petra's add to UO Player Wiki, it could move alot of the community to there.
Or what if EA decite to close down UO, will Stratics survive that or will the money be lost? I don't want to sound negative but you are taking a big risk. I do hope Stratics will go to someone who love UO and I know you all do.
I was tempted too but decited it was to risky even when I can afford 6k, I can't afford to lose 6k if Stratics lose it's community,
18 years and we are still worried about them making their own official forums?

I think we can put this to bed. They are not likely going to create something that requires resources they don't have to put torwards it.

This being said, we all weigh the risks of giving money.

Personally, I donate a few thousand every year to charities and other causes so if I choose to donate another 600, it's not a risk.

I debated heavily on whether or not to bid on Stratics, but in no way did my time allow it the attention it deserves.

I am more than happy to support those who can though for something I enjoy using.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any way to do a small donation towards the purchase with no legal ties to the Stratics setup? Nothing tax-wise or any complications or changes to our own personal financial status? We toss some stray cash into the pile and that's it?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Any way to do a small donation towards the purchase with no legal ties to the Stratics setup? Nothing tax-wise or any complications or changes to our own personal financial status? We toss some stray cash into the pile and that's it?
Yes, there will be a way to do that. We are still working out the specific details though.