• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Good News Everyone!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
im done for the night - but the fist interview that the devs give in 10+ years that doesn't go to stratics, and requires one of your users - not dev, not mods, just a plain old user to link to...

Figure that out while you try to defend this site - and your relationship with the dev team.
I'm not that old *sniff*

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
he let the site go dark for many days (DAYS, REALLY DUDE?)
Yea, the server migration was probably the most amateurish thing I have seen on Stratics ever. I remember reading all that facebook posts about being up again within a couple of hours. Then I waited a couple of days :D

Also that the Devs are posting way less is very visible. Some people will write lenghty posts with no substance just to negate that. But then I wonder where "ask the devs" or the "bug tracking" forum went. On the other hand I can also understand that one's views might be shadowed when you let your emotions slip into an discussion that should be taken on a objective level.

Last edited:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, the server migration was probably the most amateurish thing I have seen on Stratics ever.
Perhaps you have forgotten about the two or three times now the forum database has been completely lost. Or the other MMO sites just like UO that had lots of useful guides but that was lost in a crash as well.

Stratics used to be a really great place. But just look at it now. There is nothing left but this forum which is having its users sold to the person with the deepest pockets.

*Added*

I think I should mention it publicly that I would be willing to take ownership of Stratics. My resume includes 15 years experience playing UO, running the #3 (probably #2 now) UO forum, council member of one of the all time top guilds in UO, and creating the best UO information website that has gone strong for 10 years.

Last edited:

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps you have forgotten about the two or three times now the forum database has been completely lost. Or the other MMO sites just like UO that had lots of useful guides but that was lost in a crash as well.
I don't think that was entirely Stratics' fault, though, from memory the host they were using at the time, accidentally wiped or reinstalled the backup server instead of the live one after a crash
So they had to resort to an expensive restore method. I can only imagine how stressful that must've been.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Ron had some vision for the forum, when he took it over. The community did not agree, I do believe he thought it would had been great for the forum and the community. We can't know if it would as Ron did listen and choose improve what we had and he did improve it. I know not all went smooth.
I sure not agree with the way he did put it for sale but I guess as a business man, he had to do it that way.

There are no way back, the site is for sale, now we need to do what we can to safe it. If some of the buyers do belong to the Stratics community, maybe they should work together instead on bidding against each others.
Who would pay so much for Stratics if they do not expect the community to support them. I really would like to know, who the 2 top buyers are.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone on the current Stratics staff that is involved with this fund-raising campaign been able to talk to Mesanna or Kyronix regarding the possibility of Broadsword adding a forum to the uo.com website? If that happens, what do you see happening to Stratics? Will it just become a place where people go to post about things they want to trade or sell?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Has anyone on the current Stratics staff that is involved with this fund-raising campaign been able to talk to Mesanna or Kyronix regarding the possibility of Broadsword adding a forum to the uo.com website? If that happens, what do you see happening to Stratics? Will it just become a place where people go to post about things they want to trade or sell?
Is that really a good idea? To risk losing control to a EA-owned entity?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Current location is working just fine.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is that really a good idea? To risk losing control to a EA-owned entity?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Current location is working just fine.
I'm not necessarily advocating that Broadsword add a forum to uo.com. I'm merely asking what's going to happen to Stratics if Broadsword does indeed add a forum there, as several people have already mentioned here this week that it's apparently already in the works.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I hear UO forums will be up sooner rather than later. If that happens and has any measure of success, Stratics might have to re-thing everything. RMT maybe....and all those people that gave money, well they are outta luck.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe move that stuff from JC's new thread here. the questions and all to add to these.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
maybe move that stuff from JC's new thread here. the questions and all.
We couldn't do that. When we move stuff it arranges itself by timestamps. So the thread would be completely random bits of information thrown around in an incorrect order because of the timestamps. There would be no way to hold together chains of questions. There could be 3 pages of posts in between someone asking a question and it getting answered. Would just make it really hard to read and keep track of.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I hear UO forums will be up sooner rather than later. If that happens and has any measure of success, Stratics might have to re-thing everything. RMT maybe....and all those people that gave money, well they are outta luck.
To be clear, no one who has donated to the campaign will be "out of luck" if the campaign does not succeed in securing Stratics.com.

As previously stated, we are using a "fixed" campaign. If we do not reach the minimum finding goal as set, IndieGoGo refunds the money of every contributor automatically. We never even see it. If we achieve the minimum funding but do not secure the site with our bid, we will manually refund the money contributed.

As for "what happens if UO creates its own forums:" there are a lot of presumptions there. The first being that UO will create its own forums. The second, that this community will leave Stratics to devote themselves exclusively to that forum. A lot of "ifs."

Thanks.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well www.stratics.com does redirect to the forum. There is no longer a main website.
just wanna clarify I "liked" this post not because I like the situation - but because I agree with this statement.
by moving the main domain to the forum, it has essentially cut off the content of the site from the public, the new players, the web crawlers, and the SEO that myself and many others were busting arse to optimize to the best it can be.

i'll stop now.... hopefully wisdom is gained and changes can be made for the better as a result of the pending sale.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Better go donate then... They haven't raised much since day one, and are 7k off, and 2k of the 3k they have is from two people.
Yeah, but it's only been 3 days. The fundraiser has made $1,000 per day so far and still has 2 weeks left. I wouldn't exactly call that bad hehe ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, but it's only been 3 days. The fundraiser has made $1,000 per day so far and still has 2 weeks left. I wouldn't exactly call that bad hehe ;)
Well... 2 of those days were funded by one person each, can you count on that level of pledging? You've raised $75 in the last 24 hours. A rate of $460ish a day is now needed and unless you guys already have a plan in hand to self-pledge (which I imagine is quite possible) if it comes to it, people will have to start giving, and quick. Just sayin, you gotta let people know they need to donate if they like the idea and want it to happen. I know fundraising tends to heat up at the end, but... probably best to get out in front of it in case the auction bidding goes up, yeah?

An aside, did you explain how it would work with the fundraising ending after the auction ends? Is someone ready to bid if the amount is met pre-auction ending? Out of curiosity.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
An aside, did you explain how it would work with the fundraising ending after the auction ends? Is someone ready to bid if the amount is met pre-auction ending? Out of curiosity.
@Elenni Is probably the best person to answer this question.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Elenni Is probably the best person to answer this question.
I guess I would advise you share the plan in place with the potential pledgers because like I said pledging is often hottest at the start and at the end, and if the auction ends a day before the fundraiser you essentially need to have the money raised one day early, and everyone who's waiting till the end to pledge needs to be aware of that fact.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Just a thought:

If so inclined, anyone who has already donated can also look again at their financial situation and see if they can afford to make an additional contribution, no matter how small. After all, it won't be money lost. If the team doesn't win the auction it will all be refunded.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for "what happens if UO creates its own forums:" there are a lot of presumptions there. The first being that UO will create its own forums. The second, that this community will leave Stratics to devote themselves exclusively to that forum. A lot of "ifs."

Thanks.
i remember when uo had their own forums (message boards). i loved reading their site. it was freaking hilarious at times. they allowed more leeway in the posts and the devs actively participated in the conversations. oh those were the days.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i remember when uo had their own forums (message boards). i loved reading their site. it was freaking hilarious at times. they allowed more leeway in the posts. and the devs actively participated in the conversations. oh those were the days.
And most likely Mesanna wasnt the person in charge back then, wasnt it? I doubt she would allow discussion that dont fit her picture of UO. Just like she loves to surround herself by people telling her shes sooooo great while excluding as many regular people as possible :D

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i remember when uo had their own forums (message boards). i loved reading their site. it was freaking hilarious at times. they allowed more leeway in the posts and the devs actively participated in the conversations. oh those were the days.
And most likely Mesanna wasnt the person in charge back then, wasnt it? I doubt she would allow discussion that dont fit her picture of UO. Just like she loves to surround herself by people telling her shes sooooo great while excluding as many regular people as possible :D
And please never forget that our accounts were all tied together back then and any ban was an account ban that effected everything UO.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe the MyUO forums would most be about game issues and wishes for new stuff. There would be a lot like guild/player interact that would fit better here

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May be worth pointing out but anyone giving any money to this venture will never ever see any return on your "inventment" and you might be disappointed if you think that you will have any kind of say in what goes on unless a formal agreement is worked out. Don't get all excited and throw money at this folks.

If having Stratics around is your primary goal then you have your head on straight.

If you want control or ROI dont even bother.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I choose to trust, that I will get my money back if we fail to get the site. Also if we do get the side, I still get some value for my money. I already pay $5 a month for my Professional banner and what I donated will give me Premium membership as long the group is running the site. I'm not sure of the value of Premium.

Maybe the Staff team should tell, about the features from Premium membership to get more to donate.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
May be worth pointing out but anyone giving any money to this venture will never ever see any return on your "inventment" and you might be disappointed if you think that you will have any kind of say in what goes on unless a formal agreement is worked out. Don't get all excited and throw money at this folks.

If having Stratics around is your primary goal then you have your head on straight.

If you want control or ROI dont even bother.
I've understood (and agreed) from the very first that any contribution I or anyone makes is solely for the purpose of helping our present staff secure ownership of Stratics. Anything I give is a free and clear "donation" and nothing more. If they lose, certainly I'd appreciate getting the money back. But even if I didn't, I'd be glad I at least tried to help.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the campaign falls short of the $10,500 goal, all donations will be refunded automatically. And to clarify above comments, a donation will not buy any influence, permissions or "stake" in Stratics. Not a single one of us make a dime off of Stratics. The donations go towards keeping the website alive and simply having a Stratics that we can all call home.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I guess I would advise you share the plan in place with the potential pledgers because like I said pledging is often hottest at the start and at the end, and if the auction ends a day before the fundraiser you essentially need to have the money raised one day early, and everyone who's waiting till the end to pledge needs to be aware of that fact.
Hi, Uvtha!

I know the conversation is spread out in multiple threads so sometimes things get missed...so please see THIS POST, which answers that very question. We're also about to publish a much longer Q&A, where we've gathered as many of the questions together as we could find. We will link to that in each of the related threads when it comes out. (just going through final edit for typos now) ;-)

With regards to publishing our strategy and maximums for the auction -- that is not something we will be doing, for reasons that are fairly self-evident -- it is a public auction and this is a public forum. Suffice it to say that we have been pretty thorough in our discussions re: potential issues, shortfalls, backup plans, etc.

We absolutely appreciate your feedback and advice, though -- you never know what we might have missed, and we want to do as much as possible to mitigate as many potential issues as we can.

~ BRING STRATICS HOME: If you support the campaign, please don't wait...contribute today!