• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold Seller Is In General Chat

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Great idea, and then they hire someone to keep that swear word list up to date. Not like anyone could use an url shortener to obfuscate the real url ...
/sarcasm
Lol oh yeah because Visit tweetlonger.com/8gHIo4 has great marketing appeal. Hiring someone lol?

The internet must seem daunting to some people

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Great idea, and then they hire someone to keep that swear word list up to date.
I have to admit, I've gotten a new appreciation for profanity filters after being a moderator here for awhile. It's just about impossible to keep everything filtered out no matter how many new things you add to it since people always find a way around it. Stratics has 100+ things on the filter and yet there's still variations of curse words and other things that pop up all the time. I can't even imagine the nightmare trying to block out a website URL would be for someone adding to the filter, there's an unlimited amount of ways to type something that long in a way that gets around it.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
regarding TOS

iam not sure how this is legally in US or other countries but i heard something today here which yes is not basically about the topic and iam no legal council or so but.

it was about personal use of email in a company, a legal guy said something like: IF we forbid users to use the mailing system for personal emails we must be able to actually enforce it and do it.

this brings me to the thought that as they are not being able to properly enforce their TOS AND actually if they can not doing it properly they are maybe not really valid in the first place.... just some thoughts....

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't concern myself what other people do..that's what crybabies, whiners, and snow flakes do...
And yet you were the first one to jump on Tina for making this thread. Some people (you) might call you a crybaby, whiner and snow flake for that...

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
People who come into these threads defending gold sellers or declaring it to be fine and not affecting their gameplay must be the gold sellers themselves or gold buyers...
Yeah.
The only reason someone would defend it is if they have something invested in it. Otherwise you would be either against it or indifferent to it.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
regarding TOS

iam not sure how this is legally in US or other countries but i heard something today here which yes is not basically about the topic and iam no legal council or so but.

it was about personal use of email in a company, a legal guy said something like: IF we forbid users to use the mailing system for personal emails we must be able to actually enforce it and do it.

this brings me to the thought that as they are not being able to properly enforce their TOS AND actually if they can not doing it properly they are maybe not really valid in the first place.... just some thoughts....
Your legal guy is full of it. There are so many code of conduct rules in companies that you can't 100% prevent people from doing. People break them, even the electronic ones, all the time. Also, it really has very little to do with anything legal.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
And yet you were the first one to jump on Tina for making this thread. Some people (you) might call you a crybaby, whiner and snow flake for that...
Boy your a bright one...:dunce::thumbdown::flame:

I don't care what other players do within the game.

Now if someone comes to a forum pancakes and moaning when they have the option to put the player on ignore and resolve the issue...we'll that's pretty :coco:.

:violin:

*Runs off to his safe space*

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
:popcorn:

Just one question and I'll shut up: why run to a safe place? stay here in the kitchen where the heat is! :Begging:

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't care what other players do within the game.

Now if someone comes to a forum pancakes and moaning when they have the option to put the player on ignore and resolve the issue...we'll that's pretty :coco:.
And why is it :coco:?
It doesn´t affect you so you could´ve just ignored this thread. But you didn´t. That pretty much puts you in the same category that you consider :coco:.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
And why is it :coco:?
It doesn´t affect you so you could´ve just ignored this thread. But you didn´t. That pretty much puts you in the same category that you consider :coco:.
Tjalle I just put you on ignore via Stratics...problem solved! Have a nice life, as I never have to hear another peep out of you again. Cheers! :pie::lick:

See how easy it is folks!

:popcorn:

Just one question and I'll shut up: why run to a safe place? stay here in the kitchen where the heat is! :Begging:
Cause that's what this forum is...everyone needs a safe space on this forum..apparently....anytime I EVER post what I really think I get flagged for a violation of stratics rules.

People should be free to post what they want without censorship ,or worrying about hurting someone's feelings because we have the option of putting members on ignore. If I say something someone doesn't like or doesn't agree with let them put me on ignore as I've just done with Tjalle.:thumbup:

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't even know how you guys/gals can keep general chat on for very long. I'll turn it on from time to time when I'm not busy but honestly I start grinding my teeth a little after reading the 50th 'Nice Die Noob You Sux, you bad, you wurst evah' etc or the 50th 'Selling such and such' when I know the name belongs to the same guy with the other 5 names spamming items and he'll be spamming all day long on all of them. Then there's the guy who has conversations with himself, he/she makes a crazy offer(crazy low or crazy high, doesn't matter) then will start saying it's a good offer with another toon to try and convince a buyer to over pay or a seller to ask for too little... then there's... you get the idea. I can stomach maybe 10 mins usually, 20 on a good day, then it's silence!

I'm not calling anyone out specifically with the examples, in case it's not obvious. I don't need to since it happens so often by so many, lol.

At the same time it's one of the things that makes UO unique among MMOs so... just turn it off if it gets tedious.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't even know how you guys/gals can keep general chat on for very long. I'll turn it on from time to time when I'm not busy but honestly I start grinding my teeth a little after reading the 50th 'Nice Die Noob You Sux, you bad, you wurst evah' etc or the 50th 'Selling such and such' when I know the name belongs to the same guy with the other 5 names spamming items and he'll be spamming all day long on all of them. Then there's the guy who has conversations with himself, he/she makes a crazy offer(crazy low or crazy high, doesn't matter) then will start saying it's a good offer with another toon to try and convince a buyer to over pay or a seller to ask for too little... then there's... you get the idea. I can stomach maybe 10 mins usually, 20 on a good day, then it's silence!

I'm not calling anyone out specifically with the examples, in case it's not obvious. I don't need to since it happens so often by so many, lol.

At the same time it's one of the things that makes UO unique among MMOs so... just turn it off if it gets tedious.
The thing is you can't compare Atlantic GC to GC on the smaller shards.

While on Atlantic you don't ever need it at all, on the smaller shards it's basically the only place to find other people.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It just depends on attitude. I look at the chat as more entertainment. You all seem to take it more serious. I don't get on a video game to be serious.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cause that's what this forum is...everyone needs a safe space on this forum..apparently....anytime I EVER post what I really think I get flagged for a violation of stratics rules.
Considering you were just posting a few days ago that you theoretically have no problem breaking the TOS of UO often because you don't think it's fair you had to agree to it just to play at all... logic would suggest you also don't care about the TOS/RoC of Stratics, hence also theoretically don't follow it, which inevitably ends up with rules being broken and warnings theoretically being sent for those violations. No one gets flagged for posting what they really think, it only happens when they post it in a manner which breaks the rules along the way.

The most easily explainable example being:

"You're stupid for thinking this idea is any good" = warning for personal attacks, as it attacks the person themselves and their out of game intelligence.

"Your idea is really bad, totally useless, and will never work" = no warning and completely within the rules because it doesn't attack them, only criticizes their idea.

Same concept, same opinion, but one needlessly insults the person which is what causes many of the warnings that get sent to people.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@HoneythornGump ... I don't disagree with you at all. I just took an opportunity to poke a stick thru the bars when a good turn of phrase was offered. <shrug>

I remember the good old days ... Pre-Ren when this place was called U-Howl. <chuckle> Jeez that was fun!

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Considering you were just posting a few days ago that you theoretically have no problem breaking the TOS of UO often because you don't think it's fair you had to agree to it just to play at all... logic would suggest you also don't care about the TOS/RoC of Stratics, hence also theoretically don't follow it, which inevitably ends up with rules being broken and warnings theoretically being sent for those violations. No one gets flagged for posting what they really think, it only happens when they post it in a manner which breaks the rules along the way.

"You're stupid for thinking this idea is any good" = warning for personal attacks, as it attacks the person themselves and their out of game intelligence.

"Your idea is really bad, totally useless, and will never work" = no warning and completely within the rules because it doesn't attack them, only criticizes their idea.

Same concept, same opinion, but one needlessly insults the person which is what causes many of the warnings that get sent to people.
Captain given your history your the last person I need an explanation from as to what constitutes right and wrong with regards to forum etiquette.

Thanks but nice try..your shennagins as well as those of others members on this board have not been forgotten, nor will they.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No one gets flagged for posting what they really think, it only happens when they post it in a manner which breaks the rules along the way.

Well said and I couldn't agree more :postcount:

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tjalle I just put you on ignore via Stratics...problem solved! Have a nice life, as I never have to hear another peep out of you again. Cheers!
You are really going to miss out on some wisdom and life lessons. Tjalle's insightful words have gotten me through some really rough times. Teething, adolescence, SAT stress & a spot of PTSD caused by some cat videos posted in bad taste.

I sincerely suggest you reconsider.. your life may depend on it.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They do the best they can. I've been warned for something I considered questionable, but the reasoning they gave was beyond dumb. Just let it go. You obviously like posting here and everyone is just doing the best they can. We all share the same hobbies even if we don't share the same ethics.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Captain given your history your the last person I need an explanation from as to what constitutes right and wrong with regards to forum etiquette.

Thanks but nice try..your shennagins as well as those of others members on this board have not been forgotten, nor will they.
Can't say I know what you are speaking but I will say that capt has been nothing but professional with the limited dealings I have had with him. His comments often are insightful and quite helpful. Unfortunatly many of the comments you have made lately are anything but.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I'm intrigued by what you mean, considering I have no shenanigans and quite frankly don't have the ability to plan them even if I wanted to, although I'm assuming you mean "the list" which I still believe was the best available course of action at the time. Nearly everything I write is off the top of my head, I don't spend enough time on planning to craft some ingenious master strategy of how to get away with things. It would be pretty hard to discuss this here without one of us breaking a rule, but feel free to PM me if you want to enlighten me on my supposed shenanigans.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'm intrigued by what you mean, considering I have no shenanigans and quite frankly don't have the ability to plan them even if I wanted to, although I'm assuming you mean "the list" which I still believe was the best available course of action at the time. Nearly everything I write is off the top of my head, I don't spend enough time on planning to craft some ingenious master strategy of how to get away with things. It would be pretty hard to discuss this here without one of us breaking a rule, but feel free to PM me if you want to enlighten me on my supposed shenanigans.
"Memory is a great liar!" they say...so it seems...

Surely, you remember stepping down, and the things that we're said when no one was listening.

I just find it pretty rich getting the told what is okay to say, and how to say it given your history.

Let's leave it at that, and call it a day.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You're kinda putting them in a tough place. They mod you and erase your message and it looks like payback, but you're really overstepping the rules very clearly.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Memory is a great liar!" they say...so it seems...

Surely, you remember stepping down, and the things that we're said when no one was listening.

I just find it pretty rich getting the told what is okay to say, and how to say it given your history.

Let's leave it at that, and call it a day.
LMAO So if no one was listening please tell us what the voices told you that was going on, do you hear them often.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought this thread was about gold sellers in general chat?! Personally I just don't turn on any global chat, UO was much more pleasant without it, but if you are going to have that kind of chat then there should be someone keeping an eye on it. The ignore list is not unlimited you know!!

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I haven't had a problem in chats because of three things...

A) I don't let stupid things bother me.
B) I don't even bother ignoring people because I've seen even the worst people still help others.
C) I don't need to turn something off to ignore it.