• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold Seller Is In General Chat

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so How do you report chat spammers

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Is a sign of the times: People just want to pay RL $ for things the game provides..For what? To put up a show on the bank-sitting task? They skip the fun and challenge that the game provides by going through the normal and legal way. These players are who the gold mongers and gold spammers are catering to I guess.
A while back I met a new player in New Haven and offered help and advice : He informed me he is NOT interested in any help or advice respectfully, and that he just wanted to explore and learn this massive world by himself, and learn how to deal with the challenges. Later I understood what he meant. The fun in the game is NOT paying to get gold or items PS etc, but just play the game and face the challenges.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A while back I met a new player in New Haven and offered help and advice : He informed me he is NOT interested in any help or advice respectfully, and that he just wanted to explore and learn this massive world by himself, and learn how to deal with the challenges.
I've run a guild that recruits new players for 5+ years, and every single time a person has said that when we tried to help them they later ended up being one of the best guild members we had. It's always been really impressive watching them go from completely new to one of our best members within a few months doing everything the way it was meant to be done without help or the use of cheats or gold buying. Almost all of my emissary's started out that way and went on to teach other guildies how to be self-sufficient the honest way, earning the respect of the guild and promotions along the way.

For comparison, most of the recruits who constantly wanted things to be done for them and given to them ended up quitting the game within a few months even after getting what they wanted, and generally didn't contribute much while they were around. They also had a tendency to get into arguments with people who wouldn't just hand over whatever free stuff they wanted. A few ended up getting caught trying to scam or steal what they wanted too.

A person's mentality and ethics apparently make a pretty huge difference, even in a game.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
...most of the recruits who constantly wanted things to be done for them and given to them ended up quitting the game within a few months even after getting what they wanted, and generally didn't contribute much while they were around. They also had a tendency to get into arguments with people who wouldn't just hand over whatever free stuff they wanted. A few ended up getting caught trying to scam or steal what they wanted too.
A person's mentality and ethics apparently make a pretty huge difference, even in a game.
This is so true! We see a lot of begging from new players and it shouldn't be encouraged as it really does spoil the game for them. If people work to achieve things they will appreciate them more!

Syncros

Adventurer
There's quite a few things the devs can do to curb/make it harder for gold sellers to do their thing but it looks like such things aren't on their list of things to do. I guess its cause they are paying customers one way or another and will hurt their bottom line so nothing is ever done.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I really don't have an issue personally against RMT this to me is a problem. One of the first things an EJ account holder will see is a character named Avatar promoting gold sales. One could argue that a new player could assume that this is a service Broadsword is promoting. One could also argue since BS has done absolutly nothing to prevent this advertising of services that they are indeed endorsing it. If something ever happened where said site screwed a person over for a large amount of money I could see BS being responsible for this.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
WoW has the same problem, if they couldn't stop it, what makes you think this team can?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've run a guild that recruits new players for 5+ years, and every single time a person has said that when we tried to help them they later ended up being one of the best guild members we had. It's always been really impressive watching them go from completely new to one of our best members within a few months doing everything the way it was meant to be done without help or the use of cheats or gold buying. Almost all of my emissary's started out that way and went on to teach other guildies how to be self-sufficient the honest way, earning the respect of the guild and promotions along the way.

For comparison, most of the recruits who constantly wanted things to be done for them and given to them ended up quitting the game within a few months even after getting what they wanted, and generally didn't contribute much while they were around. They also had a tendency to get into arguments with people who wouldn't just hand over whatever free stuff they wanted. A few ended up getting caught trying to scam or steal what they wanted too.

I have fond memories of *VK* though I was only in the alliance through another guild.

I also always loved helping new players and adventuring with them (maybe thats why I ended up among those people from VK, HHYC and friends). My focus was always not spoiling anything for them. There was this one guy, super excited about UO. I took him to s spot where he could place a small house, we had some good week of fun going to dungeons, exploring and whatever he had on his agenda.

One day I come to his house and he is packing. Telling me some guild recruited him. They gave him an 18x18 in Malas. He was wearing a Lt. Sash and all the fancy armor. This was the last time I have seen him online. I presume he got spoiled and quit shortly after :(

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Remember - the only site that spams your general chat is based in Russia. There's plenty of sites that do RMT, but only one of them directly spams you. Easiest thing for the devs to do would be to add the website URL to the swear filter as a repercussion for the years of doing this. NO other site does this, I would imagine out of respect to the community - why would you spam the people you want to shop at your store?

Silly Russians only know spam :p

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really see the reason why everyone has to be victims from gold-sellers/toxic players spamming a chat with their crap.
As usual BS/EA does things the wrong way, nothing new there. Same applies when they made the chat system.
So dear BS/EA instead of wasting more energy on breaking stuff like you really love to do, how about you fixed the chat system ?

My suggestion is, and i've suggested it before.
Appoint chat moderators, how frekking hard can it be ?
Give selected players the power to mute/kick toxic players/spammers.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everytime I see the spammer pop up, it's always the same website (U*****C****.com) being spammed.

Even the most basic of chat has the ability to block keywords, so I'm surprised they are able to keep posting.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Everytime I see the spammer pop up, it's always the same website (U*****C****.com) being spammed.

Even the most basic of chat has the ability to block keywords, so I'm surprised they are able to keep posting.
May be something devs could do with url blocking for the spammer(s)? Not sure what can effectively be done, or how to do it..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe they can just focus on making the game fun again and just letting this minor annoyance go. As players, just take a breath, close your eyes, think about how much this really affects you, and continue playing.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd seriously like to know how many people play this game that haven't bought gold or a power scroll or vet reward from a RMT site. I certainly have... and I openly despise them. Having them in General is a minor annoyance at most. I'm not defending the practice, but really how hard is it to slide your eyes an inch lower on a chat window?

Even WoW has spammers.
Never bought 1 gp from ANY site, nor item, nor scroll nor vet reward.

As for those players saying you NEED to or you can't compete that is utter BS.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe they can just focus on making the game fun again and just letting this minor annoyance go. As players, just take a breath, close your eyes, think about how much this really affects you, and continue playing.
And only players that support cheating, which you have admitted to in this thread, would say this.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont' have a script, wouldn't know how to write one. But I must say I don't understand how this effects anyone's gameplay anymore than someone spamming they have a piece of armor for sale or anything else.

Geeez, don't buy anything from him/her. but it doesn't rock the world upside down when he spams it once in a while in chat. Just move on and play people, let the devs work on important stuff instead of worrying about stupid stuff like spam in chat.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I dont' have a script, wouldn't know how to write one. But I must say I don't understand how this effects anyone's gameplay anymore than someone spamming they have a piece of armor for sale or anything else.

Geeez, don't buy anything from him/her. but it doesn't rock the world upside down when he spams it once in a while in chat. Just move on and play people, let the devs work on important stuff instead of worrying about stupid stuff like spam in chat.
I don't play all that often but useless spamming every 15 minutes or so coming across my screen IS an annoyance. I'm not even in chat and get it. Not good.

Feather

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Is the spamming annoying? (and possibly breaking tos?) Yes.

But it's also the only thing I see in any channel.. Very little activity in Catskills that I'm seeing. Perhaps I'm on at the wrong times/locations.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Is the spamming annoying? (and possibly breaking tos?) Yes.

But it's also the only thing I see in any channel.. Very little activity in Catskills that I'm seeing. Perhaps I'm on at the wrong times/locations.
In ATL there are wall to wall people, both banksitting and playing, new and old players. Also in ATL despite rumors to the contrary, lots of people help new/returning players. Other shards are picking up a little, but you got to hit them at prime time..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Gold sellers..Feel sorry for the poor person trying to make a buck and make a living by selling $4-$8 virtual UO gold and items..
The thought comes to mind of a disabled US army vet and his family with a similar website a few years back..Had his picture on front page, also a young child..on one hand.
On the other hand the rumor in Stratics that a Gold website is a Russian botting and farming one.
So hard to stop this even with URL sniffing filtering, since anyone can use proxies that change URL. A tough problem for our team to address, esp. now with relatively open access to UO..Not easy to control this issue. Either the spamming part, or the dropping of the books in game advertising the Gold sellers..Frankly I cannot see how. What I think is grossly unfair is to accuse UO staff being negligent about this, or even being a part of this..If someone has IT background and know-how, what could be some suggestions?

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gold sellers..Feel sorry for the poor person trying to make a buck and make a living by selling $4-$8 virtual UO gold and items..
The thought comes to mind of a disabled US army vet and his family with a similar website a few years back..Had his picture on front page, also a young child..on one hand.
On the other hand the rumor in Stratics that a Gold website is a Russian botting and farming one.
So hard to stop this even with URL sniffing filtering, since anyone can use proxies that change URL. A tough problem for our team to address, esp. now with relatively open access to UO..Not easy to control this issue. Either the spamming part, or the dropping of the books in game advertising the Gold sellers..Frankly I cannot see how. What I think is grossly unfair is to accuse UO staff being negligent about this, or even being a part of this..If someone has IT background and know-how, what could be some suggestions?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
DONT YOU DARE COMPARE THIS GARBAGE TO A DISABLED VET, YOU HAVE ZERO CLUE WHAT THAT PERSON WENT THROUGH.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
DONT YOU DARE COMPARE THIS GARBAGE TO A DISABLED VET, YOU HAVE ZERO CLUE WHAT THAT PERSON WENT THROUGH.
I am with you Frodo..No real comparison made..But your sentiment is correct, and I meant maybe we have some heart after all for people whose life circumstances have forced to try to make a living this way and hesitated to post it this way fearing the storm that it may cause..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Any ways..
Are there any suggestions from technically minded and IT folks on how this can be dealt with? I sure dont have any ideas..

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Chill my ASS. What you think it is ok to put down or make fun of disabled people.
Not Sure what Post You read but i dont See that He Made fun of anything. Furthermore that Post was more a Report of Something He Came across a while Back.

Your Post was Rude AF and honestly No one is forcing someone to Go somwhere Else and kill people...

If His Report is what IT Looks Like the vet used RMT to make extra Dollar so IT was His own choice to do so...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any ways..
Are there any suggestions from technically minded and IT folks on how this can be dealt with? I sure dont have any ideas..
If you try to find a technical solution, you will end up in an arms race that you can't win.

You will see gold sellers in chat in many MMOs. It's not any different in Star Trek Online or Final Fantasy 14 and they even have way bigger teams working on them I presume. You can put in some filters, but spammers only get creative in abusing spelling and wording like ฬฬฬ.๓ץŦคภςץรเՇє.ς๏๓ or "≋w≋w≋w≋.≋m≋y≋f≋a≋n≋c≋y≋s≋i≋t≋e≋.≋c≋o≋m≋".

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I never agreed to abide by any rules of the TOS. I was 'forced' to sign the TOS. I lied that I would follow the TOS so I could play the game I wanted to. UO and all it's rules can go piss up a rope for all I care.

If they don't want me doing something in the game the burden on them is to change the game mechanics, not force some type of morality or ethics I need to follow in an MMORPG.

I'm here to have fun, and enjoy myself; not be told what I can and cannot do, or say.

then make your own game or find another one that allows whatever conduct you love doing that's against the rules. lol.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
then make your own game or find another one that allows whatever conduct you love doing that's against the rules. lol.

Funny...you think because I check some box that I didn't even bother to read that it's going to curb my playstyle. I'll do as I want...if they want don't want me doing something they can change the game mechanics.

I'm not going to have your ethics, or the Devs ethics shoved down my throat.

Catch me if you can....:thumbup:

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Funny...you think because I check some box that I didn't even bother to read that it's going to curb my playstyle. I'll do as I want...if they want don't want me doing something they can change the game mechanics.

I'm not going to have your ethics, or the Devs ethics shoved down my throat.

Catch me if you can....:thumbup:
upload_2018-4-16_18-22-1.png

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They are just mad because they have some fairy godmother on their shoulder that tells them not to be naughty and they don't want others to have an advantage where they had none. They created and nurtured this bad economy and how dare other people do what they can to catch up. It's the whole cursing thing on an obscene level. The length players in this game go to in order to make sure you don't use a curse word is just ridiculous and I've never seen it's like in any other game.

They are literally the kids that went to bed instead of snuck out to make-out with each other or have a great time making memories. The sad part is it's a video game and breaking the rules is part of the fun. I haven't met one programmer that doesn't like to break stuff or manipulate rules.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <snip>... I haven't met one programmer that doesn't like to break stuff or manipulate rules.
If I hadn't ummmm, stepped over the line a few times, work would have been sooooo boring. The dark side pulled me in a bit but when I could point to the objective met, the boss did know better than to ask how I did it. <shrug> Da debbil made me do it! I swear! :gee:

PS - Dilbert is sooo close to the mark many times!

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
The idea that players should police themselves via a TOS agreement is laughable.

The fact that someone thinks it's still worthwhile to login and spam/advertise after almost 20 years should be viewed as a good thing rather than annoyance, or a violation of some stupid rules that is up to the Devs to enforce, not the goodwill of the players to abide by.

I think players need worry about when there is NO ONE spamming to sell gold in the game.

And for the record it's not me...I just find it pathetic the whiners and crybabies on this forum.

UO is akin to a house that is burning down, and people are inside adjusting the picture frame.

Any effort or passion people have for this game is a good thing...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Lots of games, including MMORPG's have rules of conduct. So does UO.
If the spamming and advertising for gold and items is against the rules, then the spammers/sellers are likely playing a dangerous game, and if they get caught, they could get banned.
Even banning is not permanent, it can be appealed lots of times, I hear.
There is nothing wrong in having rules of conduct in an open game like this, including language filters, and racism/sexism/etc filters. Don't forget we have a mixed population, including young children in the game, as I gather from some of the posts, so we kinda need to keep it clean.
Same thing with scripting. If you get caught you sustain the consequences, you and I know the danger.
This game is touted to be in flames for more than a decade, yet it still stands, and there are more people coming in one way or another including right now and in the months to come.
I don't think that people here are crybabies. They are are free to express their concerns about the game as they please, and for the most time they are pretty civil. The comments are all welcome and lots make good sense most of the time.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Lol. I'm not endorsing your "I just lied" statement, but this part is pretty funny and really pretty accurate :thumbup1:
Also changing the game mechanics if easier said than done..Any change in the code brings unwanted side effects, that can take long time to fix?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The idea that players should police themselves via a TOS agreement is laughable.

The fact that someone thinks it's still worthwhile to login and spam/advertise after almost 20 years should be viewed as a good thing rather than annoyance, or a violation of some stupid rules that is up to the Devs to enforce, not the goodwill of the players to abide by.

I think players need worry about when there is NO ONE spamming to sell gold in the game.

And for the record it's not me...I just find it pathetic the whiners and crybabies on this forum.

UO is akin to a house that is burning down, and people are inside adjusting the picture frame.

Any effort or passion people have for this game is a good thing...
Why are you even here and why do you even play UO if in fact you do. Kind of pathetic when you have to cheat to play a video game. What is wrong can't figure out how to do it under the rules or is it to hard for you. Here is a better one go post this on the real UO forums.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
What's wrong with you guys? This is the most simple fix - they turn the URL into something that is censored.

Don't worry about the accounts, that's not going to be an answer worth dealing with. Just make the URL a swear word, punishment for years of doing something even the other sites wouldn't do.

One of these Devs could do this in a couple weeks assuming he has other responsibilities. I don't think they have a server wide banned-words list currently?

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's wrong with you guys? This is the most simple fix - they turn the URL into something that is censored.
... Just make the URL a swear word ..
Great idea, and then they hire someone to keep that swear word list up to date. Not like anyone could use an url shortener to obfuscate the real url ...
/sarcasm