• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For those who Crashed at the Atlantic IDOC

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There have been ways to crash players in the past which have been fixed - I discovered a method about 8 years ago, contacted Mesanna and it was fixed. With that being said, the chance of a method still existing that the devs don't know about is possible.

As for a player being able to grab other player's IP addresses... I've never seen or heard this being done in UO. To claim that this is possible you better have some kind of facts to back it up not just "OH I CRASHED HE MUST HAVE MY IP ADDRESS"

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As for a player being able to grab other player's IP addresses... I've never seen or heard this being done in UO. To claim that this is possible you better have some kind of facts to back it up not just "OH I CRASHED HE MUST HAVE MY IP ADDRESS"
Only way I'd imagine that'd happen is if you visit thirdparty links sent to you by some malicious actor.
Unless you manage to get the UO client to include an external resource via crafted HTML scripts (EC supports limited HTML but hardly img src or similar), I believe this vector is very unlikely.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only way I'd imagine that'd happen is if you visit thirdparty links sent to you by some malicious actor.
Unless you manage to get the UO client to include an external resource via crafted HTML scripts (EC supports limited HTML but hardly img src or similar), I believe this vector is very unlikely.
Correct, following links from anonymous people is never a good idea. You can easily bait someone into clicking a link - such as a shortened URL, forwarding to content you're looking for - and easily grab that person's IP. This is why no one should be clicking/following links from people they don't trust.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Little bit of backstory.. in another MMO I played, there was a lot of "meta gameplay" outside the game.
- Forum databases were breached to grab IPs / credentials.
- Hidden tracking scripts/images on thirdparty sites to get IPs of people.
- Steganography techniques for leaked material from peoples internal forums / comms.

This was mainly used to root out spies in their variant of "guilds" and communication servers. Spying on eachothers orgs was very very common.
Some of these organisations used more neferious means of winning in gameplay. DDOS and other attacks were commonly used to bring down teamspeak / ventrilo / discord / mumble etc, sometimes individual players got attacked.
This game had 10 times the players of UO though. Im sure someone in here can guess which game it is that was this hardcore.

Perhaps, one day Ill write a book about this when the statute of limitations have passed for the people involved.

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why did you ban him from your Yew house? Big meany.
probably they was being a big A-Hole at an idoc & crying they lost and calling placer all kind of names ..& came back & went through the telly to the Yew house or at the yew house blocking recall spot ..etc. just basic Trolling.. .. like i should run around & start blaming people for scripting the em events that always seem to have them on auction safes in their houses ? How did they get a drop & i didn't Seems so unfair blah blah ..may they should just start raffles for EM items so the tamer with the most bugged powerful pets dont get items all the time ... see how this goes ???
Always someone cant stand the thought of someone better than them at something .. always an excuse they lost . lag , scripter .. my modem was hacked ... :bdh: :facepalm:

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know The OP may be on to something .. was at the castle idoc on atl and around 5:10am EST when barrels was about to disappear, i lost connection to UO and couldn't log back in on ATL for 20 mins .. lucky the space didn't open up in that time .... anyone else on the shard loose connection at this time or was it just me ? :coco::shots::stretcher::tinhat::stir::popcorn:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Are you still playing? I am currently living in PB with my alliance and run my own corp.