• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For those who Crashed at the Atlantic IDOC

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all know who crashed everyone. It is the same person that gets every single castle / keep in his name to sell. It is the same person who owns 2-3 websites and is very good at building websites.

He crashed you by committing a DOS attack on your IP address. This is what happened to our modem, per our internet service tech support who looked into it just now. When they send so many "garbage" packets through.... it flags the modem from the internet service providers side to protect the internet service provider. Whenever it happens, they automatically shut off your modem for 25-30 minutes.

To prevent that piece of garbage from doing it again, all you need is a VPN. If you have a VPN, it will block your IP address and will not let him attack your modem directly; and thus, it will not flag your modem and shut you down. You may lag. But you won't get booted. Aka.... they won't get to loot all of their crap to sell on their websites at huge IDOCs.

Just a bit of information for all of you who hate that piece of garbage like I do. He banned me from his yew Moongate house a few weeks ago. : ) : )

a wizard

Journeyman
And how exactly did someone magically pull the exact IP address of every random person at a random IDOC when that's not how internet traffic through games hosted on amazon servers works, at all?

Sounds more like the spectacularly awful clients that have a well known history of being incapable of processing and/or rendering excessive amounts of art without crashing was taken advantage of.

It's hard to believe that there are ignorant people out there still throwing the term "DDoS" around anytime they crash, disconnect, or lag.

a wizard

Journeyman
Also as far as "ISP tech supports" go, 99% of the time they're just some random dudes with a driver's license hired to read a manual and plug people's modems in, who's primary form of troubleshooting is to hold the power button for 20 seconds and hope it works. Nine times out of ten they have no idea about anything technical and will ******** you with anything you want to hear just to speed up the process of getting to the next site.

Are buzzwords like "DDoS" about the guy you don't like in a video game what you wanted to hear from your ISP representative?

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also as far as "ISP tech supports" go, 99% of the time they're just some random dudes with a driver's license hired to read a manual and plug people's modems in, who's primary form of troubleshooting is to hold the power button for 20 seconds and hope it works. Nine times out of ten they have no idea about anything technical and will ******** you with anything you want to hear just to speed up the process of getting to the next site.

Are buzzwords like "DDoS" about the guy you don't like in a video game what you wanted to hear from your ISP representative?
Well... the internet person said it was a DDOS attack. I had googled it and thought I heard it wrong.... so I said everywhere it was a DOS attack. Thank you for knowing the perfect technical term for it @a wizard . You must be some kind of technical genius and website creator or something grand. Imagine my surprise, a troll on here trolling me knows exactly what happened and exactly what the internet person told me happened. Congratulations for knowing exactly what happened.

As far as your comments towards the incredibility of what my internet service provider knew, I think it's safe to surmise that you know about the same for whatever reason. Congrats on having 83 messages, joining Stratics in 2019, and knowing everything there is to know about everything. You seem to comment on my posts every time. :)

Anyone else catching my drift? Something stinks around here. Maybe I should make a ton of accounts so no one knows who I am and I can one up myself over and over.

a wizard

Journeyman
Well... the internet person said it was a DDOS attack. I had googled it and thought I heard it wrong.... so I said everywhere it was a DOS attack. Thank you for knowing the perfect technical term for it @a wizard . You must be some kind of technical genius and website creator or something grand. Imagine my surprise, a troll on here trolling me knows exactly what happened and exactly what the internet person told me happened. Congratulations for knowing exactly what happened.

As far as your comments towards the incredibility of what my internet service provider knew, I think it's safe to surmise that you know about the same for whatever reason. Congrats on having 83 messages, joining Stratics in 2019, and knowing everything there is to know about everything. You seem to comment on my posts every time. :)

Anyone else catching my drift? Something stinks around here. Maybe I should make a ton of accounts so no one knows who I am and I can one up myself over and over.
As far as I know this is the first time I've commented on any of your posts, but I could be wrong and I just don't remember your name. Thank you for your congratulations of my joining this near defunct forums when I started playing the game again, I appreciate that!

And I catch your drift, you think I'm whomever you're trying to name and shame without actually naming, and apparently your misunderstood logic of technology isn't the only thing you're wrong about.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was probably very crowded and you crashed cause your connection lagged. Then you spoke to technical support and they will blame anything but their service.

You actually call someone every time you crash from UO? :lol:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see your Wife does not believe the fantasy story either, From UO Forums, " She thinks the group of guys were on voice chat / discord and they called to each other to leave the area.... and they did something in game to just crash everyone. "
A much more believable story.

I guess the game also crashes every time a group of us leave a community hunt or EM Event. :)

a wizard

Journeyman
I'm actually laughing really hard at this comment

1618195005806.png

A VPN doesn't magically make your IP address hidden from the face of the internet. It re-directs your traffic through different servers to mask your IP from the destination and hosts along the route. It's like mailing something from a post office instead of your house, if someone already has your address and blows up your house to prevent you from mailing something, then guess what you're not mailing anything from there.

The sheer ignorance represented between this thread and the UO.com thread is actually brilliant.

Anyways, have a good day and please, stay away from mainstream media.

EDIT: I don't know what's more impressive, the display of absolute ignorance to basic technology in 2021 or that you apparently, amidst the covid pandemic, were able to get technical support within 25minutes of this happening.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Spectrum answers quickly or calls you back within 10 mins. I have TVs all over the house, some with really old cable boxes that need TLC. Their system detects which device is not working and they send a signal to it to re energize it and it works great. It has been years since I have called them and someone actually had to tell me what to do.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And how exactly did someone magically pull the exact IP address of every random person at a random IDOC when that's not how internet traffic through games hosted on amazon servers works, at all?

Sounds more like the spectacularly awful clients that have a well known history of being incapable of processing and/or rendering excessive amounts of art without crashing was taken advantage of.

It's hard to believe that there are ignorant people out there still throwing the term "DDoS" around anytime they crash, disconnect, or lag.
thats a very accurate and correct answer.

however, not many know this, but EMs have the possibility to take you IP address. this is something that needs to be addressed to Broadsword team, since those are actual players and its hard to control their presence on the shard where their events are being created.

In this scenario i might have answered the original poster. This happened to me once in a duel tournament on Europa shard where some scum*** ddosed me on the final round which made my router restart.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had in the past em/gm which didn't work only for the Players but for theirselfs. So if they can get the IP this could be a Option.
While most of the staff works correct others may be interrested to earn some money.
Just Look on thoose Websites to get a value of a Atlantic castle.

Just dontbuy Gold or other stuff
with rl money and they will loose their income.
Basta

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who else crashed? I know I didn't and didn't hear anyone else say that they did.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So basically what you're saying is, the same guys who place all of the houses and sell them for cash, ruined your chance of placing a house and selling it for cash ? And you want them to be punished for it ? I've kept my word and haven't logged in at the offical page, but I do read threads and saw your ridiculous accusations there. Including where you begged and pleaded with the devs because "they can trust you" . Do you not realize that you may need to step away from UO for a while and heal ? You've got issues man....and can we move this thread to Unleashed so my comment can remain, instead of getting deleted while I get reminded that people have feelings and words hurt and blah blah.....

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its a client based issue 90% of the time especially for players using EC client.

then i was clarifying by the guy who got a hard modem restart that the possibility of getting ddosed is there by stating one of one of the possibilities of how ur ip can be pulled ingame.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They just closed the thread on UO.com, right as it was getting funny.
Some really needs to explain to Petra, that her opinions "I think statements" are NOT valid reasons to lock threads. It just makes her look like an idiot.

That being said, while I'm not saying someone's computer was hacked, If you don't think/realize scripting/cheating is still going on at IDOC's you are either an ostrich (less likely), or are part of the "problem" (more likely) I think simply deleting IDOC'S is an EXCELLENT idea!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some really needs to explain to Petra, that her opinions "I think statements" are NOT valid reasons to lock threads. It just makes her look like an idiot.

That being said, while I'm not saying someone's computer was hacked, If you don't think/realize scripting/cheating is still going on at IDOC's you are either an ostrich (less likely), or are part of the "problem" (more likely) I think simply deleting IDOC'S is an EXCELLENT idea!
Never said there wasn't cheating at IDOC's , as a matter of fact I have said the opposite many, many times. but as far as why Petra closed that thread, her job is to corral the trolls and minimize the negativity. quite a tall order on that thread.

a wizard

Journeyman
I stubbed my toe on the coffee table this morning, it stopped me mid walk to the espresso maker which also delayed my getting covfefe. This is a clear denial of service and I think the coffee manufacturers should ban my coffee table, they can trust me because I've personally done so much for the coffee industry with the many purchases I have made of beans. I'm special.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I stubbed my toe on the coffee table this morning, it stopped me mid walk to the espresso maker which also delayed my getting covfefe. This is a clear denial of service and I think the coffee manufacturers should ban my coffee table, they can trust me because I've personally done so much for the coffee industry with the many purchases I have made of beans. I'm special.
You forgot to add, the devs can trust my opinion.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Funny how they get locked after you tag all the devs and pronounce cheating. Maybe if you stuck to the topic of how the UO world is conspiring against the OP the threads you reply to would not get locked.

How would deleting IDOCs help? They are complaining that the same player always places a house on the plot.
Just deleting the house would make that person have better odds of placing on every empty spot since no one would be there.

I really do not think you can contribute to a topic by staying on topic because you immediately start proclaiming Cheat! and RMT! on any post you respond to.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Funny how they get locked after you tag all the devs and pronounce cheating. Maybe if you stuck to the topic of how the UO world is conspiring against the OP the threads you reply to would not get locked.

How would deleting IDOCs help? They are complaining that the same player always places a house on the plot.
Just deleting the house would make that person have better odds of placing on every empty spot since no one would be there.

I really do not think you can contribute to a topic by staying on topic because you immediately start proclaiming Cheat! and RMT! on any post you respond to.
The topic was IDOC's, and my post was actually on that topic. Go troll someone else. ROFL

Also, when did you jump on the side of allowing RMT's? It shows in your fascination in commenting whenever you immediately "jump on" ANYONE who posts against them.

Again, go troll someone else, silly boy.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i was at that idoc, i did have some lag/ freeze issues when i really should not have. i did not crash. it was the only time in recent days i had bad lag/freezes. i just figured was speeders lol

a wizard

Journeyman
Folks, fair warning to please stay within the RoC and do not troll each other or bring up personal rivalries. This thread is already bordering on the absurd. You wouldn't want to have this thread end up same as official forums, would ya?

View attachment 118504
Sir do you have permission from Mariah over at those forums to use a post that they made showing their name, in a post on these forums?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is a public Forum. You do not need an account to see that message. It was not a private message.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm maybe if you want to place at an Idoc you need to offer Mesanna more money than you-know-who is paying her. Anyone that doesn't believe Mesanna is getting paid off . . . de Nile isn't just a river in Egypt. Seriously, how else does you-know-who get away with all that he does??? If anyone could prove that he was hacking that would be a federal charge which would send him to "Club Fed" and he could never own a computer, smartphone, tablet, etc. I learned this stuff in IT security class when I was getting my degree. Feds don't mess around when it comes to hacking. Also knowly launching a DDOS attack is also a Federal offense, but it I can tell you it WAS NOT A DDOS. Why? Because everyone and every shard on that Server would have gone down. DDOS is a blanket attack on a server, and it cannot be precisely directed. Now a Trojan or Worm can be precisely directed just ask our Federal Government or Israeli Intelligence *COUGH* Stuxnet *COUGH*.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
but it I can tell you it WAS NOT A DDOS. Why? Because everyone and every shard on that Server would have gone down. DDOS is a blanket attack on a server, and it cannot be precisely directed. Now a Trojan or Worm can be precisely directed just ask our Federal Government or Israeli Intelligence *COUGH* Stuxnet *COUGH*.
My tech knowledge is a little hazy as far as DDOS'ing goes, but from what I remember, they can be precisely directed, usually to a specific IP address or group.
If someone did DDOS the individual server for Atlantic, then the shard would just become unresponsive and everyone on it would lose connection.
If, somehow it was possible to obtain a players IP addresses in UO via the client, then in theory those IP's could be DDOS'd, but I can't imagine a situation where a person's IP could be obtained at all in UO.
I suppose you could extend this conspiracy theory about Mesanna even further and say she's giving out players' IP's to these supposedly bad people so they can DDOS them off the server lol, but no, as much as I don't like Mesanna and do believe she abuses her power, I don't think she would stoop to helping people like that.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I suppose you could extend this conspiracy theory about Mesanna even further and say she's giving out players' IP's to these supposedly bad people so they can DDOS them off the server lol, but no, as much as I don't like Mesanna and do believe she abuses her power, I don't think she would stoop to helping people like that.
I know 3 posters in this thread that will definitely run with that as truth. :)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hmm maybe if you want to place at an Idoc you need to offer Mesanna more money than you-know-who is paying her. Anyone that doesn't believe Mesanna is getting paid off . . . de Nile isn't just a river in Egypt. Seriously, how else does you-know-who get away with all that he does??? If anyone could prove that he was hacking that would be a federal charge which would send him to "Club Fed" and he could never own a computer, smartphone, tablet, etc. I learned this stuff in IT security class when I was getting my degree. Feds don't mess around when it comes to hacking. Also knowly launching a DDOS attack is also a Federal offense, but it I can tell you it WAS NOT A DDOS. Why? Because everyone and every shard on that Server would have gone down. DDOS is a blanket attack on a server, and it cannot be precisely directed. Now a Trojan or Worm can be precisely directed just ask our Federal Government or Israeli Intelligence *COUGH* Stuxnet *COUGH*.
DDOS attacks can hardly be considered "hacking." Anyone with a phone can launch one to any IP of their choosing. Though it is federally illegal to do it, it is almost impossible to figure out who is doing it. I have dealt with a few of these attacks in my professional career. It is not a "blanket attack" it is very direct. You need to refund your IT degree for some better jokes.

There are two common ways to mitigate a DDOS attack:

1. Change the IP that is being targeted. This is what your ISP will do once they detect the attack if you have a residential line. Residential lines use dynamic IPs that change every so often. It is always in a residential service agreement that they can change the IP any time. It does not take 30 minutes. It can happen very quickly and doesn't necessarily require a reboot of the modem, but the ISP will reboot the modem afterwards because they can.

This is all handled in the ISP's NOC (Network Operations Center). The guy on the phone has absolutely no communication with the NOC so anything he tells you about DDOS attacks is a way to get you off the phone. When I worked for Comcast, our primary metric was called "Average Handle Time," that is the amount of time you spend per call. A good average handle time at Comcast is 240 seconds. They will tell you anything to get you off of the phone, especially if you call with a silly idea in mind. I would assume OP experienced a regular service outage and telling him what he wanted to hear was the fastest way to get him off the phone.

2. The other way to mitigate a DDOS is to simply have the bandwidth and processor capacity on your firewall cluster to absorb the attack. Amazon would have this. It is likely that if you were to attack the server, there would be minimal interruption. Large businesses usually get this type of protection from their ISP, but it is not included in residential service.

On VPNs: Using a VPN might prevent this type of attack, but probably not. I have never tried it before but launching a DDOS at a VPN node would likely take down the node and everyone on it. The VPN company would likely just move you to another node.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Blanket was the wrong word, sorry. What I was trying to say is you can't target multiple individuals at once. That's a crap ton of resources. These sorts of attacks target large targets like websites, servers, and networks. This is AMAZON...Jeff Bezos did not get to be the richest guy on THE WHOLE PLANET by allowing stupidity. I would THINK he would hire super smart people and have it locked down. On the the other hand "hackers" don't play by our rules; can't is not in their vocabulary. That what makes them a pain they are super smart, they don't feel like rules/laws apply to them and they don't know the meaning of "can't". Seriously a dying game is small potatoes.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Cheapo AWS nodes have rudimentary protection.
But more advanced layer 7 attacks are possible, or really big ddos attacks of course.

AWS wont spend the resources to protect small AWS nodes.

But I'd change the logic a bit.
If UO client doesnt leak your IP, then if you change your IP by your ISP (new macaddress, ask their support etc) - you should be fine.
Use the VPN for browsing unsafe 3rd party sites, or any site that might be collecting IPs by pixel tracking. (small image embedded to log visitor IP addresses)

They'll just get your VPN IP, not your home IP.
Disconnect from VPN when you just want to do an IDOC. Cause if your home IP was leaked, you could be effed anyway.

Now, I think it's far more likely that someone with a ****e computer can have their EC client crash by someone sending a stream of client updates that gets sent to clients.
Basically the UO shard server acts as a reflection node in the attack. An exploit to crash indiviual clients is of course possible, they have existed in the past. Only way to know would be to turn on some good old wireshark and capture packets.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just launched an attack to my home IP to see what would happen. Within 10 seconds my modem reboots and I come back with a new IP a few minutes later. Good to know.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great info and all, but do we have any genius website creators that can chime in? Preferably someone who has created at least 2-3 websites.

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just want to know did He buy the VPN package for $49.99 on sale per month the "tech" probably tried to sell him after the conversation? ...
Oh and IM not "You know who", He who's name cant be spoken .. I placed that spot ..Shocker no one was on tracking trying to place it but me ...
for your info Norton offers vpn with their antivirus subscription!
but really, all the fields & spells going off couldn't have caused any lag & disconnects it had to be a super genius villian out to make $5 for Netflix and chill snack money ... these posts get better & better, UO players gone wild !!!
:pirate: :tinhat::facepalm::bs::bdh::shots::flame::wall:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
. I placed that spot ..Shocker no one was on tracking trying to place it but me ...
Why did you ban him from your Yew house? Big meany.

So the OP is full of inaccuracies. No wonder the 2 tag alongs are standing up for him. They also stay away from truth.

It is the same person that gets every single castle / keep in his name to sell.