• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For Current Account Holders - Poll Regarding EJ And Your Plans

Will You Be Keeping Your Account's Open Or Close Them To Play EJ?

• I will keep my account's open.

Votes: 91 77.1%
  • I will close my accounts and play EJ.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I will close some accounts and keep some accounts open.

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, whilst this poll is far from an exact science and only a small sample, the findings so far show that 20% will drop paid accounts.

EA will therefore have to ensure EJ brings in accounts to replace those. If it doesn’t (and I don’t believe it will) then EJ will have done enormous harm to the game.

It’s a huge gamble and not one a company would readily take unless it was a last desperate throw of the dice. I fear it is. Could be the death knell.
Back in this thread again, lets see if I can behave better this time. :)

I don't get the negativity towards EJ?
Why would anyone drop an account over it?

All they are doing, is tidying up, and improving the new player experience, and giving new players an easier way to learn and experience the game before committing?
Every game out there right now is doing it in a similar way to what they are trying?
That is all good for the game?

Added to this, if you look at the Developers recent track record, they nailed it with the Taming patch, even I, who hates tamers, now play a Tamer in a decent way...
I even have 3 pets...?!?!

It is going to have absolutely zero impact on any of us?
I personally, have half thought of bringing both my 2 young sons into UO, to play in my castle with me, it would be really nice.
I think the EJ (bank) restrictions make it too hard to actually play for free - so ultimately, I don't think I will get my boys to play with me yet.

The whole Scripting, Multiboxing thing, is an entirely different issue.
It is not going to be any easier, or harder with EJ - EJ is not going to change anything that isn't already here.
Scripting and Multiboxing are already happening, regardless - they have to be dealt with separately.
I've already given some suggestions on these issues, which would solve the issues, but the posters on Stratics don't like my suggestions, or where I place the blame.
Why posters are taking their rage out regarding Scripting and Multiboxing on EJ, any more or less than anything else, I don't get.

I don't think I have seen one genuinely good response, for any of the negativity towards EJ, or how it will change anything for anyone, except to maybe bring some new players in.
(Part of me thinks it is greed, and the current player-base don't want new players to have a nice gaming intro into UO - am I being paranoid?).

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think I have seen one genuinely good response, for any of the negativity towards EJ, or how it will change anything for anyone, except to maybe bring some new players in.
Its not rocket science. If players shut accounts due to EJ (and that seems to be the case according to this poll ... and 20% is a huge revenue loss) and they are not replaced (and there is little evidence to suggest EJ will bring in paying accounts in any sort of numbers) then it might well effect everyone in the biggest way possible...EA deems the game no longer viable and shuts it down.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not rocket science. If players shut accounts due to EJ (and that seems to be the case according to this poll ... and 20% is a huge revenue loss) and they are not replaced (and there is little evidence to suggest EJ will bring in paying accounts in any sort of numbers) then it might well effect everyone in the biggest way possible...EA deems the game no longer viable and shuts it down.
I wasn't knocking your post, I was replying to it as the most summarised logical post to reply to.

Why would a player shut down an account because of EJ?
What would their logic be?
It would need some thought of negative logic towards the concept of EJ, and so far, I have not seen a logical thought process in any of the posts?

A patch comes in, that is aimed at attracting new players, improving their introduction into the game, and a load of vets quit?
What is the real logic in that thinking?
Surely more players is good for the game, and what everyone wants?
And the Devs are making an effort for exactly that.
It just seems completely weird to me.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't knocking your post, I was replying to it as the most summarised logical post to reply to.
I know you werent .. I didnt take it that you were. :)

Why would a player shut down an account because of EJ?
What would their logic be?
It would need some thought of negative logic towards the concept of EJ, and so far, I have not seen a logical thought process in any of the posts?

A patch comes in, that is aimed at attracting new players, improving their introduction into the game, and a load of vets quit?
It just seems completely weird to me.
What is the real logic in that thinki
Simple ... people can keep some accounts paid for housing and save money by 'converting' other accounts to free accounts. If they can do enough on the free account for it to be fun, then why would they pay for the privilege?

As ive said, this is a huge gamble by EA ... they need EJ to attract more new paid accounts than the ones they lose otherwise EJ has had a negative impact on the games viability from a financial perspective. If 20% is accurate, and EJ doesnt attract new players who will upgrade to subscription, then 20% could be terminal.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because it looks like it caters to the cheaters/scripters/RMT people, and some of us are sick and tired of them.
And also because the cheaters/scripters/RMT people can now drop paid accounts and do their dirty business for free. No doubt some of the folk who have voted in this thread fall into that category.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because it looks like it caters to the cheaters/scripters/RMT people, and some of us are sick and tired of them.
More than the game already does?
I don't think that is possible. :)

I'd suggest, you don't take it out on EJ, and focus on that issue separately.
I'm completely with you on the issue itself.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know you werent .. I didnt take it that you were. :)

Simple ... people can keep some accounts paid for housing and save money by 'converting' other accounts to free accounts. If they can do enough on the free account for it to be fun, then why would they pay for the privilege?

As ive said, this is a huge gamble by EA ... they need EJ to attract more new paid accounts than the ones they lose otherwise EJ has had a negative impact on the games viability from a financial perspective. If 20% is accurate, and EJ doesnt attract new players who will upgrade to subscription, then 20% could be terminal.
I guess everything they do is a gamble, and they do have to do something, take some gambles.

The Taming Patch could have been a massive gamble, and it paid off I reckon, in a big way.

I think that gives them a platform to try something like this.
Look at what they are trying to do, attract new players, make their game intro a better experience, that is not a bad thing to try.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The difference is that now the trial accounts are not limited to two weeks....

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The difference is that now the trial accounts are not limited to two weeks....
Do you think that was stopping anyone who wanted to do that?
The people who want to do this sort of thing, are massively geared towards dealing with all that anyway, they are already here, they wont change, it will take something else.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@TB Cookie [W] I agree with you, but why was it made easier for them? On the plus side some people with old accounts that they didn't play can now dust off those old chars for free. I don't know what the full impact of EJ will be, I guess we all wait and see...

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@TB Cookie [W] I agree with you, but why was it made easier for them? On the plus side some people with old accounts that they didn't play can now dust off those old chars for free. I don't know what the full impact of EJ will be, I guess we all wait and see...
I've said quite a few times in my posts on these forums, and so have others, you can't keep on planning all game content around the scripters and multiboxers, etc.
{It makes it really hard for the "honest" players}.

Well this time, they aren't.
It would be a bit hypocritical of me, and many of us, to knock them down, because their plans for game improvement are not 100% scripter proof.

I'm happy to get behind EJ, see how it goes, and deal with other issues as a separate thing.
I have many issues as you know... :D

They do need to look at that whole area, but maybe it comes after this.

As for the impact of EJ, we have seen a lot of new players coming in, to see what happens.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've said quite a few times in my posts on these forums, and so have others, you can't keep on planning all game content around the scripters and multiboxers, etc.
{It makes it really hard for the "honest" players}.

Well this time, they aren't.
It would be a bit hypocritical of me, and many of us, to knock them down, because their plans for game improvement are not 100% scripter proof.

I'm happy to get behind EJ, see how it goes, and deal with other issues as a separate thing.
I have many issues as you know... :D

They do need to look at that whole area, but maybe it comes after this.

As for the impact of EJ, we have seen a lot of new players coming in, to see what happens.
Why wouldn’t they plan things around the cheats, hackers, scripters and multiboxers? It’s the biggest part of their Player base!

EJ will just make it easier for anyone not already on the scripting bandwagon to get on it for free without jeapordising their main account. I fail to see how that’s a good thing.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why wouldn’t they plan things around the cheats, hackers, scripters and multiboxers? It’s the biggest part of their Player base!.
You win. :grin:

EJ will just make it easier for anyone not already on the scripting bandwagon to get on it for free without jeapordising their main account. I fail to see how that’s a good thing.
I don't think you will realistically see any change.

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Before they talked of a limited bank box. So I'm not sure what's up with that. If I'm allowed to take a limited amount of items out of the bank box that's fine. And whatever might be in my pack or wearing. I'm interested in seeing my old toons again regardless :) So where do these EJ people store stuff anyway? It would be unrealistic for them to have zero storage.
This is just from my personal point of view. Since packing up and closing accounts many many times over the years, I've found to simply "adventure", explore, do quests, and role play I really do not need much at all. I've placed houses but that's to play with designs. It's not that difficult to live out of a bank, even a limited bank now, since checks were eliminated.
The only problem I see would be for a crafter trying to make it with EJ and not being able to use commodity deeds. That could make storing supplies interesting. I suppose they could use blue beetles and packs. Only have to figure out how to clear the packs when logging. *shrugs*

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because it looks like it caters to the cheaters/scripters/RMT people, and some of us are sick and tired of them
Quite a bit of the game caters to them, and by design. Someone mentioned the success of the taming patch, yes -yes it was successful, at making their PS hording RMT selling friends even richer. Because it drove the price of scrolls thru the roof. That is the onlly possible explanation for PS only being available in Fel. The only one that I accept. If PvP'ers want to pvp, then have at it. But keeping PS in fel only spawns only feeds them. They aren't intersted in PvP, they are interested in killing non-pvp'ers and controlling a vital resource of the game to make $$ off of it.

Argue all you want about it, but you won't change my mind on this...I've watched it for too many years.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, whilst this poll is far from an exact science and only a small sample, the findings so far show that 20% will drop paid accounts.

EA will therefore have to ensure EJ brings in accounts to replace those. If it doesn’t (and I don’t believe it will) then EJ will have done enormous harm to the game.

It’s a huge gamble and not one a company would readily take unless it was a last desperate throw of the dice. I fear it is. Could be the death knell.
You're only taking subscriptions into account. EJ players can also use the shop and spend sovereigns, they have to buy for cash. I wouldn't underestimate that.

I remember back in the days when WoW was really big and RoM came out, we tried to convince a friend to move from RoM to WoW. He said, he's not going to play WoW and having to pay a monthly fee, when he can play RoM for free. In the end it turned out, that he spent over 60€ per month for microtransactions in RoM...

Small things add up and can make a big difference.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing i've not seen much of is what are the changes for Subscribers?
Ie, what is going to happen to convince me to keep multiple accounts sub'd and not just downsize to 1 account and numerous EJ accounts??
Perhaps i missed the part where we get daily login rewards or cash shop stippends ect......

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Probably EJ if anything is EA's answer to the free shard proliferation?
I do not think people will start jumping ship due to the impending EJ, and the rumored disasters it will bring.
I do not think people, old players or new will try to bust the doors to come in to EJ and start characters, bots, cheating, multiboxing etc. Most of the few that will come if new, will come out of curiousity to see some aspects of the "new UO" if anything, then possibly intimidated turn right around and not come back, except for probably very few. But I could be wrong..
Even if these dreads happen, it will most likely NOT effect honest players from enjoying the game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the poll is true and 20% of the people currently subscribing close accounts for EJ, well that's a big problem.
I would bet a huge % of UO has no idea what EJ is and they will not close accounts based on something they dont know of.

20% of the stratics readers is what % of the game?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would bet a huge % of UO has no idea what EJ is and they will not close accounts based on something they dont know of.

20% of the stratics readers is what % of the game?
And you seriously think that EJ will just pass by the rest of the UO population without them knowing it’s there? Astonishing.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly.. Probably 2%..
And if only 2% of existing players know about it, how the hell are non players going to hear about it and actually sign up? The whole point of it is to attract new players and to do that it needs to be broadcast widely.

Hell itll probably be the splash screen when you log in! To say players won’t know about it is just asinine. Of course they will.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And if only 2% of existing players know about it, how the hell are non players going to hear about it and actually sign up? The whole point of it is to attract new players and to do that it needs to be broadcast widely.
Advertising is needed. EA should at least email old accounts.

Has anyone received an email with an invite from an old account?

We talk about EJ in chat. Like you say, EJ is intented to bring in new players or old players. Not current players.

Hell itll probably be the splash screen when you log in! To say players won’t know about it is just asinine. Of course they will.
Yes the playerbase will know about it soon. But, we want a different market to know about it. I play daily and could not tell you what the splash screen says.

EJ is not in conversations in the game right now. We talked about it for about 30 min when the info was released. No gen chat has mentioned it since. LS is not a big forum using shard. I dont know about the others.

This poll is a right now poll. Thats why I said 20% here is not 20% in UO.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing i've not seen much of is what are the changes for Subscribers?
Ie, what is going to happen to convince me to keep multiple accounts sub'd and not just downsize to 1 account and numerous EJ accounts??
Perhaps i missed the part where we get daily login rewards or cash shop stippends ect......
You get to keep your house and bank box

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Accounts... LOL How sad this game has become. It's more common for people to have more than one account than not these days.

We all already know the current players may say they are leaving, but won't.
I've always thought the exact same thing, I have one account. Don't plan on every having anymore. I only have 6 toons, I'd say I'll never need a 7th.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Advertising is needed. EA should at least email old accounts.

Has anyone received an email with an invite from an old account?

We talk about EJ in chat. Like you say, EJ is intented to bring in new players or old players. Not current players.

Yes the playerbase will know about it soon. But, we want a different market to know about it. I play daily and could not tell you what the splash screen says.

EJ is not in conversations in the game right now. We talked about it for about 30 min when the info was released. No gen chat has mentioned it since. LS is not a big forum using shard. I dont know about the others.

This poll is a right now poll. Thats why I said 20% here is not 20% in UO.
Yep..and 20% here does not mean a lot, since probably only 2% of current players ever visit stratics..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm just waiting for it to go Live before I post stuff where I visit. I don't want to post about it and then have them wait 6 months... Who knows with all the missed deadlines I've seen in this game and many others. I also want to check it out myself so I can fully explain it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think EJs will spend more money in the store than they would have in a subscription. If I played for 6 months, it would cost me roughly 90.00. If I'm a hardcore gamer that just wants to try a certain game out, I know for a fact I would drop 100.00 on one rather quickly, hell I buy my son 65.00 xbox1 titles all the damn time, can NOT convince him to try GameFly. I'm not saying I support EJ and I didn't vote in the poll because at this point I'm not sure at all what I'm going to do,and that wasn't a selection in the poll, other than wait and see how ugly it gets, but I do understand the decision, if I'm right in my assumption.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll personally will be closing 3 accounts of the 4 I have active full time. They where BOD runners. Ill also be setting up many MANY (does best Lesard impression) free bod accounts. I will be the BOD king! Well not counting scripters cause I can't stay online 23 hours a day.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yep..and 20% here does not mean a lot, since probably only 2% of current players ever visit stratics..
Well that is how any poll works. They take a small sample that reflects the entire population. We reflect the UO population as a whole. We have people that do bods, tamers, PvPers, people that think everything BS does is great and people that hate every change, etc.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think EJs will spend more money in the store than they would have in a subscription. If I played for 6 months, it would cost me roughly 90.00. If I'm a hardcore gamer that just wants to try a certain game out, I know for a fact I would drop 100.00 on one rather quickly, hell I buy my son 65.00 xbox1 titles all the damn time, can NOT convince him to try GameFly. I'm not saying I support EJ and I didn't vote in the poll because at this point I'm not sure at all what I'm going to do,and that wasn't a selection in the poll, other than wait and see how ugly it gets, but I do understand the decision, if I'm right in my assumption.
I agree, but they need to add more things for them to buy. Things subs get already.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the idea of course is go get new players. Something the game needs. Who knows if it will be successful. Really though, I highly doubt it makes any negative impact on people's game play. Anything that can be automated already is, and the market for that stuff is only so big.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well... the thing is that 90% of stuff on the store is only of use to subbed players. In their maniac insistence that "THIS ISN'T F2P!!!" they are soloing in on only using EJ as incentive to get those players to sub. I think it's a mistake.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll personally will be closing 3 accounts of the 4 I have active full time. They where BOD runners. Ill also be setting up many MANY (does best Lesard impression) free bod accounts. I will be the BOD king! Well not counting scripters cause I can't stay online 23 hours a day.
I am thinking of doing the same with my BOD only accounts that some acr active and opening my other BOD accounts with EJ. My 97 BOD Vendors need more BODs LOL

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really can not imagine that they will leave bods active for ej accounts. They have to realize it was a bad idea.... @Bleak @Mesanna ?
2 out of 10 BOD accounts are active and I will wait till after EJ is out before deciding but I fully intent to open up the other 8 and put them all upstairs in Luna to collect all the crafting bods.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have one active subbed account. EJ is NOT even in my plans as I play little enough now as it is - and too restrictive for me.

If I wanna multi-account, 3 more accounts only need be activated. <shrug>