• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FIGHTING RIVA and CHARacter was deleted

D

Decker

date was sat 6/28 we were Fighting riva in fan dancers the wife and i she was on Hannah Mystic and I was on darius Decker while fighitng the wife lost con and then she signed back in when she signed back in she had clicked her character and then clicked the green arrow poof her character gets deleted. Now this was her first character and had 8 years of work on it with 120 magery complete scrolled out with ow about a 50 miliion gp suit we can replace the suit but not the character. When the gms were paged they said we were hacked but the character was there when she went to sign back in. Of course they cant retrive her from the data base or anything they were not listening when we said the chacater was there when she signed back in and hit the green arrow to get back in the game. So after 10 years of playing uo putting up with all the changes, the speed hacks, the rushing in of new content to mask the fact they have a really broken game. I do not belive we were hacked i believe it was a glicth in the game that caused this to happen cause why would you hack a account to steal things off it and delete the best character on the account with about 100 mil in items on it and in the bank. So now I wil probally shut off my last three accounts and quit this game for good. We pay money for this game and this game and they cant protect the people in it from "hackers" even though last year we were getting a super inpenatrible hack defense system.
This next paragragh is for the developers
You are now losing three more accounts cause your gms cant fix our problems they were rude, undertrained and uninformed. Your losing some more of your player base cause of a broken game. Whatyou all need to do is fix it and stop added items to apease players to temporally distract them from the crap caused by the post aos onslught. We need a working game not expansions to distract us from the broken parts> FIX IT
i knew it would some day come to a end but not like this
my accounts are paid till the middle of next month i will play till then with my son on his account then give away over 250 million in assests to the masses ormaybe my guild

i play Black and decker
darius decker
tox
decker the black

fair journeys
:sad4:

G

galefan2004

Give the stuff to your guild. Drop your houses or give them to your guild. Don't leave things behind for some piece of IDOC trash to pick off of the ground.

It sucks that it worked out this way for you. In all honesty, if you want to play a game that actually protects its players from hackers and replaces players, items, and accounts to the rightful owners if they get hacked then WoW might actually be the right game for you.

Knock Blizzard all you want, but I honestly believe one of the reasons WoW is so successful is that they go above and beyond to make sure their players are taken care of.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Years ago when I quit I deleted my main char on purpose. The next day I logged into my account to finish up the other chars and my main was back. Could never explain why or how, but there she was and I KNOW I deleted her and her name wasn't in the list. I knew then something was weird with the char screen :(

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like one of thoses heat of the moment things that happen to most of us at one point of time or another, that we wish we could take back. I dont blame ya for being angry but to quit after all thoses years.. I am assuming you tried to email the proper people on theses boards? ..... just a hint most customer service peeps dont respond well to others anger.. Just saying:)

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, don't get mad, get even!! A few years back, I don't remember where I read it.....it was online, and a legit news site.....some dude in japan sued EA, and got his stuff back.

Mind you, that was there and not here, so I really don't think the judgment would hold water in US courts, but hell, 8 years of your life and these GM's basically are passing the buck??

Make them prove you got hacked....from what I gather, as of right now, their word is "hearsay", a famous term the "suits" like to use.

Start with corporate in VA.....hell, call that chick Nicole at CNN too!!

And please, no follow ups about TOS and ROC,.......those are for the timid and weak.

just do it.

M

Mankind

when she signed back in she had clicked her character and then clicked the green arrow poof her character gets deleted.
I wouldn't buy this with borrowed money..

P

packrat

its possible you got hacked and when they logged in she got kicked off. They probably realized she was online and just hurried and deleted the first character on the list. I had 4 accounts and 2 computers. sometimes i accidently logged into an account that was already logged in and it kicked the log player off.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when she signed back in she had clicked her character and then clicked the green arrow poof her character gets deleted.
I wouldn't buy this with borrowed money..
True or not support should restore the character. If hacked they should restore the character. This type of service is not costly and if UO wasn't coded so half assed they could prevent it from being an object of abuse. Regardless of items or bank stash there should be absolutely no issue with restoring a character with all their skills and caps in the game and there is not. This is just another reason why UO is behind the times and people are moving on.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aww Decker. This is terrible!

Please give it another day and see if the character is still there after server maintenance. Hopefully it's just a temporary glitch. I always thought you couldn't delete a character if it had stuff in the bank and/or equipped or in its backpack, but perhaps that isn't true. Also, just to be absolutely sure, try checking other servers. I doubt the character ended up somewhere else, but maybe just maybe something that glitchy happened. If you can stomach it, perhaps also submit a bug report. (Info here on how to do it via an e-mail where you can give more info than the online form might provide: http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=129. Online form is at http://www.uoherald.com/feedback/index.php.)

I dug through the Knowledgebase on the uo.com site and found a few Q&A about deleting characters and/or corrupted character option files that may or may not be helpful. The first three cover glitchy situations.

I truly hate to see you leave the game. Played against you in factions on GL and just can't imagine you gone. If you and your wife decide to continue to play, please let me know what she needs to replace the suit and I'll see what I have that might help.

M

Mulch

I agree that actually in this time character restoration should be a possibility.
Most other games offer it and I would love to see EA's stance 'Sorry we cannot help you when you were hacked, contact the police' to their Warhammer customers.
rolleyes:

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
look, the real problem is that they do the deletion immediately and then make you wait 7 days to create another character - they should put the 7 day delay on deleting characters instead so after you decide to delete a character, it stays greyed out in the login menu until a week goes by - during which time you can undelete it

they've got it backwards ... as per usual

M

Mankind

look, the real problem is that they do the deletion immediately and then make you wait 7 days to create another character - they should put the 7 day delay on deleting characters instead so after you decide to delete a character, it stays greyed out in the login menu until a week goes by - during which time you can undelete it

Not sure where you read/heard this, but I can delete a character right now, and make a new one immediately. What you CAN"T do is delete a character that's not 7 days old.

Boris Badenov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't leave things behind for some piece of IDOC trash to pick off of the ground.
Haha, now you offended someone with thin skin and they will try to make you feel bad now! Haha!! :sad3:

seriously....:sad2:

I dont normally care about people that get offended by every little thing, but really.... is this really worth getting offended over? %$# &^%$# &%%

D

Decker

this is reguarding the tina small post
yeah i was very very angry and we are going to stay after getting blitzed by icq's and emails on our leaving we have decided to run this one out
Draconi you look into it and see ill give it a week to see if hannah mystic is back where she is supposed to be but if not we will rebuild her
in reguards to rebuilding the suit the hardest thing to get was 300k turn in points for the jewels
i got to get the following scrolls
120 magery
120 eval
120 spellweaving
120 med
+25 stat scroll
her suit had
nystryls wizard cap
armour of fortune
pendant of the magi
tome of lost knowledge
thos elf gloves with the +30 lrc
those elf legs with the lmc
shield of invulnerablity
and of corse teh turn in jewels
we are reminded of one of our other losses back in ohh 2000 or 2001 when we were in the city of the dead training fencing (back when it was hard to get to 100) we had the eq val heavy archer suit exceptional with the mighty kryss of vanquishing when the server went down
everyone that was there logged back in just in time to see all our bones disapear. (this was way back before insurance)
most of the suit i could rebuild i am not looking for handouts and i have never bought gold on ebay for things in game i have earned it the hard way fighting mining and selling things so ill be at teh bank alot next week selling things
i got a rare rubble saddle from the mag thing the only one on the GL shard (thanks bc for working that out for me to steal it out from under you) for sale as well as some other rare rubble demon blood and such so if ya want to help i am having a fund raiser of sorts selling selling selling to rebuild
and for all its faults this game does have a great comunity of people even though it has been invested by hackers dupers griefers as of late

fair travels
decker

Boris Badenov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its good that you are staying despite the loss. Items are easy to replace..mostly. The community here is worth staying for. The time to replace the skills is the biggest loss. Best of luck :)

1needy1

Decker do you actually believe have the intelligence to help you? the energy to help you? the desire to help you? I play wow and one of my guildies lost his stuff they were able to retrieve it in a few hrs and thats why blizard is tops. The UO team need to train their GMs to be more helpful not little kids who feel all important because of their role and who r also players in the game. It would be nice to think that they could be more helpful and yes they need to prove you were hacked. The GMs and developers don't listen to what the game reaally needs. Like any other business they need good customer care, good customer relationship and GMs that actually read the problem and give the appropriate answer instead of these automated answers that do not relate to the qquestion asked. I also would like to know how they decide on GMs, they certainly dont look at how they speak . I am so so sorry for your loss and I can understand why you feel like leaving. Maybe EA needs to start a relationship with Blizzard and learn how to run a good game

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Decker, I'll finish turning in my Christmas stuff on GL and you can have the tickets. It may give you a couple thousand more points. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about the tickets I already threw in the chest on GL. I think I have a tome you can have too and maybe an extra set of the stitcher's mittens. I'll check my power and stat scroll stash too for you. Will PM you in the next day or two..we have a lot of family stuff going on this weekend, so it might not be until late tomorrow night or on Monday.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bug or not bug, who knows.
But a method to recover an accidentially or by an hacker deleted character would belong to the game, in my opinion.
At least I really don't like the placement of the Delete button in KR client.
Much to tempting to click that instead of Play (which could happen in the stressfull stage of logging back after a crash far to quick). That button should not even be available on the main login page.

*Salute*
Olahorand

R

Revenant2

/******************************************************
* Hey EA peeps:
* If you haven't done this already, you should modify your servers
* so that when someone deletes a char, it doesn't delete anything
* server side, and make it hold onto the char and items for like,
* a month. That way your GMs can deal with this stuff more easily.
* A month would be long enough to catch someone whose account
* had been hacked while they were on vacation. In cases of hacking,
* it wouldn't help with stolen items but the players would feel less
* robbed and, even, grateful when they at least got the char itself back.
* An alternative would be employing the transfer server in a clever way
* to basically do a char transfer from the backup data into the server, but
* that sounds like a bigger pain in the ass than just keeping the original
* data around a while (or maybe not, I wouldn't know that part).
*****************************************************/

Okay, back to your regularly-scheduled coding!! :)

I am not saying this person functionally deleted their char. I've seen the char deletion process recently and it does give you a verification window. What matters is if the server believes the person deleted their char so it went into that process.

I hope this is a simpler problem than it looks like. Either way, I hope they are able to help this person, even if it means someone has to take time to work through the char and it's items as they can be seen in a backup. The fact is that if the stuff is truly deleted, it's probably not as simple as copying it from the backup to the main. I would guess that the Item IDs get recycled pretty quick and you couldn't just do a copy like that.

Yes, I know it would be a b*tch to recreate all that stuff, but well! Sometimes stuff should be done just, because.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Revenant2;I am not saying this person functionally deleted their char. I've seen the char deletion process recently and it does give you a verification window. [/QUOTE said:
yes, it does. But in some stages you simply click that Yes button, since clicking is nothing unusual.
If you would have to type an agreement, this would be harder to do by oversight.

*Salute*
Olahorand

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It sucks that it worked out this way for you. In all honesty, if you want to play a game that actually protects its players from hackers and replaces players, items, and accounts to the rightful owners if they get hacked then WoW might actually be the right game for you.

Knock Blizzard all you want, but I honestly believe one of the reasons WoW is so successful is that they go above and beyond to make sure their players are taken care of.
Personally, I don't much like WoW, but this is absolutely true. Blizzard has always been absolutely top notch in supporting their clients, and this is one of the big reasons they are so successful. They've always been this way, and this has continued with WoW.

If you lose something in WoW as a result of a bug, or some kind of server problem, it will be restored to you within a few hours of you paging a gm, no hassles and no nonsense. I don't know so much about how they deal with accounts being hacked, but if they could tell you had been hacked, I'm sure they would restore anything that was lost as well.

UO's customer support sucks in the worst way, the only decent customer support that I know of related to UO, is provided by Jeremy, and as far as I can tell, that isn't even her job. If they want to grow again, this is something that absolutely must change.

F

Flora Green

Haha, now you offended someone with thin skin and they will try to make you feel bad now! Haha!! :sad3:

I dont normally care about people that get offended by every little thing, but really.... is this really worth getting offended over? %$# &^%$# &%%
Who the heck are you talking to? No one said anything about being offended. rolleyes:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Amen Kojak.

Should be a 3 day waiting period on deleting characters. Especially any more than 30 days old.

Vesta

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Originally Posted by Kojak

----

I agree with this. It should be hard to delete a character.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry to hear this happen to you, and good luck in the rebuilding.

We have a Warning gump for when are going to demolish a house.
Why don't we have a Warning for a character deletion. You go to delete a character a Warning comes up you are going to delete your character all the stuff in the bank, and on the character will be gone
ok cancel

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont know you and never met you but my sympathy goes out to you. i would advise not clearing out yer acct. leave it dormant for a couple of months and then decide.
*watches the revolving door*

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one of the things many of us have been fighting EA on for years with all the hacking that has been done... having a "X" day wait period on Chara perm deletion, a 2nd PW to enter to delete a chara perm & or a email to acct holder to finalize the deletion. But to date NONE of this has been done:(.

K

Kith Kanan

freaking true , but hey are you surprised ??? I'm not.............

G

galefan2004

Are you referring to players who do IDOCs or did I misinterpret your sentence?
Nope you read it 100% right. The IDOC system in this game makes me sick. I'm a much bigger fan of IDOC houses going up in flames and staying like they do in Luna on almost all shards atm.

G

galefan2004

I don't feel bad. I simply said how I feel. People should not get rich by waiting outside of houses waiting for them to colapse. The fact that they do is yet another thing wrong with this game. IDOCs should simply go up in flames and remain in flames until placement is possible again.

G

galefan2004

If you lose something in WoW as a result of a bug, or some kind of server problem, it will be restored to you within a few hours of you paging a gm, no hassles and no nonsense. I don't know so much about how they deal with accounts being hacked, but if they could tell you had been hacked, I'm sure they would restore anything that was lost as well.
They restore characters that you yourself delete (up to like 10 times). They also will investigate your account to prove if you were hacked if you say you were hacked. If you were hacked they will restore your character minus any sellable gear that was on the character (bop vs boe). My two friends that got hacked got everything back about a week later (takes awhile to investigate).

UO's customer support sucks in the worst way, the only decent customer support that I know of related to UO, is provided by Jeremy, and as far as I can tell, that isn't even her job. If they want to grow again, this is something that absolutely must change.
I agree, but their hands are also tied in much tighter ropes then Jeremy's are. One of the reasons the GMs have to give canned responses is that is all they are authorized to do. GMs have lost a great ammount of the power they once had for various reasons, so they end up not being able to actually do anything at all. Or at least that is my belief.

G

galefan2004

Sorry to hear this happen to you, and good luck in the rebuilding.

We have a Warning gump for when are going to demolish a house.
Why don't we have a Warning for a character deletion. You go to delete a character a Warning comes up you are going to delete your character all the stuff in the bank, and on the character will be gone
ok cancel
Anyone deleting a character knows that everything that they have on them and in their bank is going to poof with the character (if they have common sense) and before you delete a character you get a message asking if you would like to do delete the character in which case you have to click on yes. In WoW, before you delete a character you actually have to type in DELETE.

T

Trebr Drab

I don't feel bad. I simply said how I feel. People should not get rich by waiting outside of houses waiting for them to colapse. The fact that they do is yet another thing wrong with this game. IDOCs should simply go up in flames and remain in flames until placement is possible again.
I agree except for one thing. There are old event items that represent the history of this game, and that's very important to me. I don't want these items to be lost. Other than that though, I totally agree. There's something wrong in a game where players are feeding off of the players that leave.

T

Trebr Drab

I agree, but their hands are also tied in much tighter ropes then Jeremy's are. One of the reasons the GMs have to give canned responses is that is all they are authorized to do. GMs have lost a great ammount of the power they once had for various reasons, so they end up not being able to actually do anything at all. Or at least that is my belief.
Every game has their GMs who use their powers to cheat. I have to support this action from EA/Mythic. Just like I support their heavy control on talking to players. It's not good for GMs to be chummy with players, that's asking for trouble.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone deleting a character knows that everything that they have on them and in their bank is going to poof with the character (if they have common sense) and before you delete a character you get a message asking if you would like to do delete the character in which case you have to click on yes. In WoW, before you delete a character you actually have to type in DELETE.
I went to go delete my character on the test center. there is a warning gump which didnt pop up for her because she would of had to press a check mark in 2d to delete it.

G

galefan2004

I went to go delete my character on the test center. there is a warning gump which didnt pop up for her because she would of had to press a check mark in 2d to delete it.
I'm confused. Are you saying KR doesn't have the warning gump? I don't play KR (never will), so I was unaware of that.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm confused. Are you saying KR doesn't have the warning gump? I don't play KR (never will), so I was unaware of that.
Sorry forgot about kr. I checked yes they do have one also. to delete a character you need to press ok

C

Crystilastamous

It IS POSSIBLE FOR THEM TO RESTORE A CHARACTER!!!

THEY CAN DO IT! I REPEAT IT IS ABSOLUTE THAT THEY CAN DO IT!

Email them until their fingers bleed from replying to you, you WILL get your character back, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THEM TO RESTORE IT!

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, don't get mad, get even!! A few years back, I don't remember where I read it.....it was online, and a legit news site.....some dude in japan sued EA, and got his stuff back.

Mind you, that was there and not here, so I really don't think the judgment would hold water in US courts, but hell, 8 years of your life and these GM's basically are passing the buck??

Make them prove you got hacked....from what I gather, as of right now, their word is "hearsay", a famous term the "suits" like to use.

Start with corporate in VA.....hell, call that chick Nicole at CNN too!!

And please, no follow ups about TOS and ROC,.......those are for the timid and weak.

just do it.
Suing over a game is idiotic. Suggesting it makes you....even worse...I pity your friends and co-workers.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is definitely possible to restore an avatar. I work in tech support (not a game company), so I know that sometimes it's possible that whoever takes up your case may not know what your exact problem is (the techie may not even play UO). Or they may not know an avenue is available to restore your avatar. Eg - user deletes mail and empties the trash bin, then a couple of months later, decides that she needs it back. Helpdesk will likely inform user that it cannot be recovered, unless someone has the initiative to check with the server admins if a tape restore is possible.

For these cases, I imagine that it's going to be painful to restore from tapes to an interim location (coz a full restore will mean a revert for everyone else) and import the relevant data over to the GL server. So it helps if a request comes from someone high up in the food chain, *coughs* email Jeremy *coughs*.

From what I've seen, she listens to customers and gets things done. She should be able to initiate/expediate the process or direct you to the correct channels.

Good luck!

C

chubby

this same problem has happend to me now

when i logged on i noticed a character was missing so i panicted a little but re started UO and still it was gone a day later (today) it still isnt there it was a char that was scrolled up worked up and had about a 40-50 mill suit on

PLZ help

Chubby of origin

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Suing over a game is idiotic. Suggesting it makes you....even worse...I pity your friends and co-workers.
uh, you pay ea 13 bux a month or whatever and in exchange you expect a certain amount of service. if you feel you have been treated unfairly you are definitely within your rights to sue.

A

AdamD

They should offer a character backup service for a fixed fee per month
Something like $1 per character, or $XX for an entire account.

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Galenfan, exactly what is your problem with IDOC's? and yes, i am offended by being called "trash" because i have worked idoc's on occasion.

Don't judge me..... you don't even know me...

G

galefan2004

They should offer a character backup service for a fixed fee per month
Something like $1 per character, or $XX for an entire account.
Screw that...they should back up characters as PART of the game. EVERY other game out there does. I've had characters restored in EVERY MMO I've EVER played...that includes DAoC.

G

galefan2004

Galenfan, exactly what is your problem with IDOC's? and yes, i am offended by being called "trash" because i have worked idoc's on occasion.

Don't judge me..... you don't even know me...
You are sitting around waiting to get rich because someone else left the game, and now their hard work is going to bennefit you.

I guess I just consider anyone that doesn't believe in work versus reward as trash. That being said, I have done some IDOCs in my time, and yeah it is fun and rewarding, but it just leaves you feeling empty when you realise you just dry looted someone elses house because they left the game (and in some cases they eventually come back).

Besides, when I say IDOC trash I'm refering to people that do NOTHING but IDOCs, and profit only from IDOCs. It inferiorates me even more when the scripters are still profiting much more (although not as much as they used to) from IDOCs than the average player. Of course, they all deny scripting. Most of these people don't even keep the gold they get from IDOCs and instead sell it for IRL cash. Thats the definition of IDOC trash (to me), so unless that describes you then I'm not talking about you.