FCR/FC question

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
E

elonk

I was just wondering if anyone out there knew of the cap,if any, when FCR and FC becomes useless. Right now I'm at FCR 6 FC 3 wondering if that was wasted allocations.

Thanks for any ideas on them.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Actually its...
2/6 for Magery, Necro, Mysticism
4/6 for Chivalry, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Spellweaving

If you have 70+ Magery on the same template as Chivalry then Chivalry caps at 2/6.

(All FC/FCR)

You can over equip FC to cancel out penalties on Spell Channel weapons. Otherwise theres no point.

Protection caps FC at 0 regardless of how much you equip.

The Mysticism spell Enchant, applies Spell Channeling -1 FC to NORMAL weapons, can't make a weapon go lower than -1 though. On Artifacts it only adds Spell Channeling.

O

omgmir

Correct, my fault I always get necromancy and chivalry mixed up. >.<

J

[JD]

So when you enchant a weapon does it give you the ability to use it as a mage weapon or you still have to imbue mage weap or have the weapon skill trained?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

So when you enchant a weapon does it give you the ability to use it as a mage weapon or you still have to imbue mage weap or have the weapon skill trained?
You would still need to have the weapon skill or have Mage Weapon Imbued, and as Enchant lasts 2 minutes its not something I'd suggest actually relying on for the SC part.

S

Stupid Miner

... as an additional note.

Protection lowers the faster casting cap by two.

4/6 becomes 2/6
2/6 becomes 0/6

It doesn't reduce the amount of FC you have, it reduces the max you can use.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In one corner we have the Stupid Miner and in the opposite corner Lefty!

Who is correct?

My mystic/mage/weaver wears 2/6 jewels along with -20 Mage use/SC no pen, FC +1 bokuto and a SC no pen, FC+1 shield (both imbued before the FC nerf). I run Protection all the time so I figured the extra FC+2 would negate the Casting penalty. Therefore, I hope Stupid Miner is correct :)

J

[JD]

... as an additional note.

Protection lowers the faster casting cap by two.

4/6 becomes 2/6
2/6 becomes 0/6

It doesn't reduce the amount of FC you have, it reduces the max you can use.
i thought running with protection sets your FC and FCR to 0.

i wish this was true..

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
SM is correct.

Protection doesn't set FC to 0. If you have no FC, protection gives you -2 FC. Paladins with 4 FC will have their FC reduced to 2 when using chivalry.

However, what actually happens is not that protection plays with the cap. This question came up before and I did some research, but I can't seem to find the thread again.

Anyways, a dev explained that what actually happens is that the -2 FC from protection is applied AFTER all FC calculation is done.

That means even if you wear equipment that gives FC 6, the server does a first round of calculation to determine that you have
1) FC 2 for casting skills that are capped at FC 2 (such as magery)
2) FC 4 for casting skills that are capped at FC 4 (such as chivalry)

Then the penalties are applied to these numbers in a second round of calculations, reducing them to FC 0 for magery type skills and FC 2 for chivalry type skills.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
Newcastle, NSW
It's also nice to overcap FC for magery, so you can use a -1 FC weapon. This allows for other mods on your weapon that are more useful.

S

Stupid Miner

To get to the essence of what I was trying to say:

Player with 2/6 casting worn:
*Cast Protection*
Player still has 2/6 casting for Chivalry, Ninjitsu, Bushido and Spellweaving

So you don't need 4/6 casting to cast at the 2/6 cap for 4/6 casting skills
all you need is 2/6. Actual FC doesn't get reduced, just the maximum potential is lowered.

And yes, I tested this 2 seconds ago.

It's also nice to overcap FC for magery, so you can use a -1 FC weapon. This allows for other mods on your weapon that are more useful.
Interesting effect that if you have 0 FC to begin with -1 FC from spell channeling doesn't reduce it.

... again, just tested this 2 seconds ago :)

G

Gelf

When they nerfed fc/fcr the last time they stated fc 0 would be as low as you would go(no negative fc). not 100% sure if this is still the case with new spells like sleep

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 17, 2008
squeezepagegraphics.com
In one corner we have the Stupid Miner and in the opposite corner Lefty!

Who is correct?

My mystic/mage/weaver wears 2/6 jewels along with -20 Mage use/SC no pen, FC +1 bokuto and a SC no pen, FC+1 shield (both imbued before the FC nerf). I run Protection all the time so I figured the extra FC+2 would negate the Casting penalty. Therefore, I hope Stupid Miner is correct :)
Oh Ye of little faith

Publish 25 (One of the first major PvP publishes)

Faster casting cap of 0 (if using the protection spell)

Now lets look at this objectively. Before publish 25 you would run into all sorts of players running under protection negating the old -2 fc. Mages and dexers with or without chiv/necro and not able to disrupt.

After publish 25 how many of you have seen this in the pvp field? I haven't, and it is sure as hell a lot easier today with all the items to stack FC to counter a -2 penalty.

silly people.

C

Cloak&Dagger

When they nerfed fc/fcr the last time they stated fc 0 would be as low as you would go(no negative fc). not 100% sure if this is still the case with new spells like sleep
Actually they stated that you could not get -fc from items, basically those items with a -1 fc on them. Spells can still cause you to go negative. Protection does not count. There is no need to involve all the complicated math that goes on with the protection, since in reality it does set you FC cap to 0 for magery and necro, and to 2 for chiv,ninja,sw,bushido.

Also as for aoLOLita, Stupid miner is correct, you just seem to not have read his post correctly.

If you use protection, even if you have 10 fc you will still only have 0 fc for magery spells. and 2 fc for chiv spells (this one is assuming you have 69.9 or less magery) if you have over 70 magery then the fc of chiv will be reduced to 0.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Was there an update to FC/FCR after this article (Apr 2007)?

http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday57.html

"Does casting Protection reduce your FC cap to 2?"
Yes and no - the Protection FC reduction is applied AFTER the cap takes effect. If your total FC is at the cap of 4 (for Ninjitsu, Bushido, Spellweaving, and, under certain circumstances, Chivalry,) then yes, it'll reduce it to 2. If you're at a cap of 2 (for Magery, Necromancy, and under other circumstances, Chivalry) casting Protection will reduce your FC to 0. (The above, of course, assumes that you have the gear to be at the cap in the first place - if not, Protection just reduces your current FC by 2.)

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 12, 2005
Atlantic
On EC, if you cast stone form, it puts you to -2 FC (i can't go in to re-check). UOGuide doesn't state the penalty.
In the past, I've tried casting protection to see if it goes to 0 but nope.
Maybe you guys can test with that a bit for kicks.