• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enough of Outsourcing Customer Service, EA (And What's With Tax?)

I

imported_mr.blackmage

no, other mmorpgs do not do this (that I know of, which isn't much to be honest)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Obviously not. I just got my newest monthly charge from EA and it still has the 'new' amount on it. As for a lot of you saying 'it's only a little bit each month, let 'em have it', I beg to differ. Say each customer is overcharged $.35 a billing cycle...there are a couple hundred thousand active subscriptions... $.35 X 200,000 = $70,000 per month
$70,000 X 12 = $840,000 per year

that's pushing a mil on something they have no right to, period, and are in actuality stealing from us. And I used $.35 as a low estimate considering a lot of people by their state usage laws aren't supposed to be charged anything at all!

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. And dont forget to add in the DOUBLE VAT charges that they are charging UK customers (roughly 35% instead of 17.5%) which amounts to a whopping $20 per UO account that we are charged.

Still waiting for even a comment on this one from EA Rep.

B

Babble

Is paying with game time codes then also avoiding paying tax?

For example. It should be cheaper for UK customers to pay gametime code in $ as if to pay in pounds.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Is paying with game time codes then also avoiding paying tax?

[/ QUOTE ]
I suppose it is ... but I could never knowingly avoid paying tax due to the job that I do.

C

Calell

I talked to a friend that works in billing at NCSoft and he said they sometimes charge sales tax but it depends on the state and if the hassle is worth it for the legal team. Most times it isn't, because they have to get it right and it's better for them not to charge than to charge incorrectly. Perhaps EA-M should research theirs a bit more...

G

RTLFC

If everyone would like to take a look under the carpet you'll find that this topic has been conveniently brushed under there by our wonderful EA Rep.

G

I wish EA had also paid attention to the 17.5% VAT figure too, rather than effectively doubling it.

I'm not holding my breath for an explanation, but it is disappointing that we've been overcharged for years and then be brushed off.

Wenchy

G

You did not serious think you would get any other response?

Or any response? Hell the lawyers have to be consulted first. And since I doubt the lawyers are located in fairfax. I am sure that it has to go up the command structure to get an approval to even answer, then it has to get routed to the billing people, who have to check with the IT people, since it seems to have been automaticaly applied to every account, then even if there is an answer.
Once again it has to get back to jeremy who then has to get approval to post the answer.

In other words, its going to get awhile, if ever.

Except that they would look into it?

If I had to guess your double vat question would be one of laziness on EAMythics part for doing business in the EC. Easier on their part when they convert euros to dollars. This way no matter how much the dollar falls versus the euro, you european players pay the fees for the conversion costs. But thats just a guess.

CassieDarksong

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well...while we're on the topic.

I recall that if you buy a 90 day subscribtion, whether it was through game time code or online, you got a discount.

I bought a 90 day gametime code through UOgamecodes as I was buying another code (upgrade for more storage yay) and ended up paying 38.99 for the 90 day code.

I then renewed my subscribtion on my oldest account for 3 months. After tax it was 37.44.

I'm still researching the taxes here, but as far as I know, we have no internet subscribtion tax...but we do have a tax for goods purchased over the internet.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

tax's are not something EA controls , thats government stuff.

however outsourcing there customer help is HORRABLE !!!

get with the time's, hire english speaking people... that graduated

B

Babble

They could maybe hire a 'monkey' that punches the right taxes in instead of guesswork.

C

Calell

In this, you are incorrect, Kynd. The government for each state sets the tax rates, but it is under EA's control to charge the taxes. How and if they do that is their responsibility, and they're falling short on that end. That's the point that is being made. *curtsies*

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, the irony is that EA, at least as far as Illinois goes, does NOT have to actually collect the taxes. Since it falls under use tax laws, they could simply leave it up to the subscriber to pay the use tax. There's nothing wrong with them collecting it either -- as long as they're collecting to correct rate of tax. In my case, they're not, and by the looks of it, I imagine they're not in several other cases too.

I did open another ticket with EA to find out what in the world is going on, but so far, nothing new to report.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You did not serious think you would get any other response?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the double VAT charge for UK is concerned I'd settle for ANY response at all from EA's rep. As it stands it has been totally ignored to the point of being embarrassing.

G

So then ... 2 months on from the creation of this thread and still no real answers.

Proof that EA and their reps just ignore our concerns in the hope that they just either go away or get brushed under the carpet.

A

An_Old_Ranger

Craftsman and RaDian FlGith ?

See below:

<blockquote><hr>

Hell the lawyers have to be consulted first. And since I doubt the lawyers are located in fairfax. I am sure that it has to go up the command structure to get an approval to even answer, then it has to get routed to the billing people, who have to check with the IT people, since it seems to have been automaticaly applied to every account, then even if there is an answer.
Once again it has to get back to jeremy who then has to get approval to post the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the question about the taxes in the subscription of UO players in europe was raised waaaaaaaaay back when EA added them. Years ago. And basicly: The EU imposed them, we pay them through EA so EA pays them to EU. Seeing that england is rather proud of having several exceptions from the European union (such as not using the Euro currency) there may be other issues when playing from there which I am not aware of.

Though, and this cannot be stressed enough: We all are not lawyers. (*waits for everyone to chirp up that YES they are and YES they know and YES they asked a friend of an uncle etc...*)
Anything any CM posts he does as EA. They are the spokes people. So, if he just randomly says something FALSE now, just to give a hurried result, then EA will be held liable.

J did post it will take a long time to handle these matters. It goes to billing, goes to legal, goes possibly some other corners as well.

So, instead of making snide remarks, how about you state facts, so he has more to work with? Personal attacks will certainly not endear him so much that he comes skipping with joy back. *smirk*

I

imported_Bluebottle

<blockquote><hr>

Some states such as IL are charging bandwith and internet subscription fees. EA has no choice but to charge this. I mean is the extra .68 cents going to hurt the pocket book? Again this isnt EA's fault...it's your state governments fault. So dont blame teh EA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thin end of the wedge, next thing you know your vendors will start having to pay UO Gold to the state coffers! All the more for "lifetime" subs before all the states pounce - I say vote the rascals out!!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I remember the question about the taxes in the subscription of UO players in europe was raised waaaaaaaaay back when EA added them. Years ago. And basicly: The EU imposed them, we pay them through EA so EA pays them to EU.

[/ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I understand the tax system in England perfectly well. Its part of my job. What bothers me is that when EA decided to add the compulsory VAT to British subscribers, they increased our subscription by approx 35% whereas VAT is a flat rate of 17.5%. Why charge us double the amount?

No one from EA has had the courtesy to answer that question. Its is conveniently ignored by our esteemed community rep despite being asked many times on these boards.