• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enough of Outsourcing Customer Service, EA (And What's With Tax?)

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come on, guys... I send in a support ticket asking why after 10 years all of a sudden my account fees are being taxed, having already contacted the Illinois State Department of Revenue for an answer, and them telling me that nothing has changed with regard to online subscriptions -- thus there's no reason I should be paying tax on what amounts to a service -- and lo and behold, the "friendly" customer service agent sends me a response with a link a page explaining that taxes will be collected by EA.

Completely ignoring my request for a reason why -- which is what the IL DOR suggested I do -- and on top of that, sending me to a link for Club Pogo.

I mean, come on. I write that I know that it's a tax being charged, that I asked the DOR, that they, like me, believe that as a service it is exempt, and all I get is a link to Pogo?

It even says "Platform & Game: PC > UO Non-Version Specific.

Guys... really... I know you're saving money by outsourcing your customer service, but it's costing you in credibility.

Edited to change subject.

G

They should have announced this. It seems that suddenly every single state in the USA is charging a tax for internet subscriptions. That does not make any sense.

G

I have been wondering about this, and if it happens to be a Federal tax (like internet service, phone service, etc have) because I added it up and that "tax" portion is high than the sales tax in my state, AND I am not sure that my state charges a "service" tax.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems as though it can't be a Federal tax, because that would apply throughout the country, and I just paid my bill recently and there was no special tax charge thing on there.

G

Some states such as IL are charging bandwith and internet subscription fees. EA has no choice but to charge this. I mean is the extra .68 cents going to hurt the pocket book? Again this isnt EA's fault...it's your state governments fault. So dont blame teh EA.

G

Dont get me started on tax. Its one of my pet peeves. I'm still waiting for an answer after asking 6 times (7 now) on why I am charged what am in the UK.

I used to pay £6.50 for UO (roughly $13). This was then increased by EA to £9.99 (roughly $20) on the premise that I was obliged by UK law to pay Value Added Tax which is a flat rate of 17.5%. Fair enough, so why increase my subscription by approximately 35%?

I'm still waiting for an answer. Jeremy? Care to comment?

F

Fayled Dhreams

Published on July 21, 1997 http://www.llrx.com/congress/072297.htm

Colorado and Alabama unsuccessfully attempted this year to exclude Internet providers from state utility and revenue taxation. An exemption bill is currently pending before the Massachusetts Senate which has the support of Governor Weld. California, <font color=red>Illinois</font color=red>, Washington, Texas, Maryland, New York, Utah and Minnesota have created Task Forces to study the question. The commissions in New York and Utah have recommended for exemption and New York has gone ahead and reclassified Internet services.

meh ...
however ...
quick reveiw of Orvago's posting here ...

Sent me to site specific state : following ::

http://www.iltax.com/LegalInformation/letter/rulings/st/2006/sg060017.PDF

The Telecommunications Excise Tax is imposed upon the act or privilege of originating or
receiving intrastate or interstate telecommunications in Illinois at the rate of 7% of the gross charges
for such telecommunications purchased at retail from retailers. See 86 Ill. Adm. Code 495.100. The
telecommunications retailer collects the Telecommunications Excise Tax. If the Telecommunications
Excise Tax is not paid to the telecommunications retailer then the telecommunications customer must
self-assess the Telecommunications Excise Tax liability and remit the amount directly to the State.
For information on the proper calculation of charges for that portion of the interstate inter-office
channel provided within Illinois please refer to 86 Ill. Adm. Code 495.100 (n)(3).

and:
http://www.revenue.state.il.us/Publications/Telecommunications/rt8jan2008.pdf
If you have any questions or need more information about a specific rate in a location, please call us at
(217) 782-6045. Visit our Web site at www.tax.illinois.gov for a large variety of tax-related information and answers to your tax questions via e-mail.

That oughta keep you busy for ... mmmm

ever

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Some states such as IL are charging bandwith and internet subscription fees. EA has no choice but to charge this. I mean is the extra .68 cents going to hurt the pocket book? Again this isnt EA's fault...it's your state governments fault. So dont blame teh EA.

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, except here's some interesting things:

1) The Illinois Department of Revenue -- you know, the tax guys -- don't know a thing about it.

2) Illinois tax is 6.25%, EA is charging an 8% tax.

3) It's not 68 cents. It's $1.04. And regardless of how much it is, it's something I shouldn't be paying.

4) Illinois DOES charge internet connection charges, via the Internet Service Providers... I already pay that to my service provider. EA is not providing me an internet connection. As they say, bring your own connection.

Soooo.

B

Babble

Not sure, but my guess is ea can charge whatever they want, as long as you pay?
If they think they should rise subscriptions for some countries then they can do that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

But the point is this; This OP contacted his STATE who said they are not taxing for this. The state told him to contact EA and when he did he got the typical EA Customer Service blow off and link to someplace unrelated to the problem.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fayled,

The Telecommunications tax has nothing at all to do with a subscription to an online game. That tax is for the use of services provided by telephone, internet, et cetera. IE: My phone company and ISP are what charge me that, not EA.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

But the point is this; This OP contacted his STATE who said they are not taxing for this. The state told him to contact EA and when he did he got the typical EA Customer Service blow off and link to someplace unrelated to the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah... I read their response, clicked the link, saw Pogo, and was like, good god. And telling me to do what I've already done... priceless. heh

G

This is the link they should have sent you to - sorry it didn't get announced ahead of time, there were a few snafus in the implementation.

G

You wake up in pajamas that are taxed, you brush you teeth with a toothbrush that is taxed, you put on taxed clothing, brush your hair with taxed hair brush, leave your home that is taxed heavily, drive your car that is taxed, put in fuel that is taxed in the extreme, etc,....................and when you die all that you own is taxed again.

And yet people still vote for more tax increases and politicians who promise them.

Sorry for the rant, this just hit a nerve.

G

Just one more reason to live in the beautiful state of Virginia.

B

Babble

So did the US states implement them or are you charging ahead, if they implement them?

G

<blockquote><hr>

however ...
quick reveiw of Orvago's posting here ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. The States that already had the tax in place were exempt from the 7 year ban. The 7 year ban on Internet Tax is for States that had not yet started taxing Internet Usage.

This is at no fault of EA's. One needs to complain to their State Official / Senator / Congressman(woman).

As for why they told you "nothing has changed" is because their Tax was already in place, therefore it is still in place and has not changed. Did they *specifically* say Illinois does not have Internet Tax?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

This is the link they should have sent you to - sorry it didn't get announced ahead of time, there were a few snafus in the implementation.

[/ QUOTE ]Right... Jeremy, trouble is:

14.03 is 8% of 12.99, not 6.25%

Second, the Illinois DOR has no idea what's suddenly changed that you've all found it necessary to charge taxes, because there's been no such change in Illinois tax law.

So again, I'm at a loss.

G

Here: http://www.vertexinc.com/taxcybrary/internet/state_by_state.asp#ILLINOIS

<blockquote><hr>

ILLINOIS

Internet Access
Charges Illinois does not impose sales tax on Internet access charges. Based on a recent General Information Letter (GIL), Internet access charges are not subject to Telecommunications Excise tax if the Internet Service Provider does not charge customers for the line or other transmission charges that are used to obtain access to the Internet.

Source: General Information Letter ST-97-0267-GIL

Sales of Goods Purchased Over the Internet
In Illinois, sales of goods over the Internet are treated the same as sales of tangible personal property through more traditional channels and, therefore, subject to the rules of nexus and Illinois’ sales/use tax laws.

Information/Software Purchased via Downloading from the Internet
Illinois does not consider the transfer of information over the Internet as a transfer of tangible personal property, therefore the charges are not taxable. However, as stated in IL Regulation Sec. 130.1935, "canned software is considered to be tangible personal property regardless of the form in which it is transferred or transmitted…". Therefore, charges for downloading software via the Internet are taxable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pertinent information bolded.

K

kennykilleduo

They could make UO free to play , and bypass taxes...

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orvago,

I'm not paying for software. I already paid for the software. I'm paying for the continued ability to play the game. I pay for the software when they release an expansion. As for "Internet Tax," good luck finding that listed anywhere at all.

But in the end, it comes down to this:

I have explained the situation to the Illinois DOR, the representative of the DOR I spoke with is of the same opinion that I am, and instructed me to contact EA for reasoning as to why they're charging the tax. They either received a letter, have a law that they can reference or whatever... simply responding with "We're charging it because we have a link on our website" is not an answer.

It ALSO doesn't address that I'm being charged a different tax rate than they list.

I've been all over Illinois' DOR website... that's when I decided to contact them directly. Pasting me links I've already read doesn't do much.

G

I'm not at all sure about the math, but what had happened was that for a while we were just eating the cost of those taxes. Finally someone at EA decided to set up a system whereby the user would pay sales taxes (both for us and Pogo, which is probably why you got their KB article.)

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I'm not at all sure about the math, but what had happened was that for a while we were just eating the cost of those taxes. Finally someone at EA decided to set up a system whereby the user would pay sales taxes (both for us and Pogo, which is probably why you got their KB article.)

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, lemme clear up the math for you:

12.99 * 0.0625 = 0.81
12.99 + 0.81 = 13.80

12.99 * 0.08 = 1.04
12.99 + 1.04 = 14.03

Guess what amount is appearing on my bill. Yep. 14.03.

On top of that, if EA's been paying the tax for quite some time, and now they've decided to sluff it off on the end users of certain states, that makes the information presented in your link an outright, blatant lie. But somehow, given the cheap state of EA and that their customer service is exported to a country where they can't be bothered to do more than paste a link, I guess I'm not surprised.

I do think it's time for me to review my monthly EA expenses though. With what they have been making off of me per month, that decision is certainly going to cost them from where I'm sitting.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now they have more to invst in our game....WoOOOOoOOOOO

G

Edit, wrong link.

Anyway,

Did you clearly explain to the person that Ultima Online is an Internet GAMING SERVICE? Meaning you pay a monthly fee to use their Internet GAMING SERVICE?

I dunno, I am not tax person and a lot of the tax laws in Illinois are baffling, however, reading the articles I linked to seem to point out that it is indeed a Taxable Service.

LOTS of TAX Laws here: http://www.revenue.state.il.us/index.htm

Seems kinda fishy that someone would be able to tell you right away that it is not taxable with there being SO MANY tax laws in your State.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Travel here, and do a "find" search for "Internet" which will take you to the article that seems to pertain to games.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/LegalInformation/letter/rulings/st/2001/index.html

<blockquote><hr>

Generally, persons that provide subscribers access to the Internet and who do not, as part of that service, charge customers for the line or other transmission charges which are used to obtain access to the Internet, are not considered to be telecommunications retailers. See 86 Ill. Adm. Code 495.100(d). (This is a GIL).

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you clearly explain to the person that Ultima Online is an Internet SERVICE? Meaning you pay a monthly fee to use their Internet SERVICE?

I dunno, I am not tax person and a lot of the tax laws in Illinois are baffling, however, reading the articles I linked to seem to point out that it is indeed a Taxable Service.

[/ QUOTE ]EA is NOT an Internet Service. They are a Service, yes, but they are not providing Internet Service. There's a difference between providing service accessable THROUGH the Internet, and providing Internet Service. EA does not provide me access to the internet, my ISP does.

To clarify, my subscription to Ultima Online in no way provides me access to the internet.

And yes, in the process of detailing this with the DOR, I explained exactly what UO is.

G

Read my Edit. "Gaming Service" - There is a Difference between "Internet Access Service" and "Internet Gaming Service".

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Seems kinda fishy that someone would be able to tell you right away that it is not taxable with there being SO MANY tax laws in your State.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, horribly fishy that someone that works for the Illinois Department of Revenue, after having gone back and forth via emailed communication, might actually be able to answer a question for me. I probably should have contacted the Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles.

You're right. I should probably just pay whatever EA wants me to simply because they say it's true. Because, you know, after not being taxed for TEN YEARS, I shouldn't find it suspicious that all of a sudden there's this "new" tax that the DOR doesn't seem to know about.

Who do you think I should have contacted when I didn't find applicable information on their website?

G

If IL does in fact tax on Internet conveyed services, that still leaves the question of the stated 6.25% in the EA support article Jeremy linked for us, and the actual 8% RaDian FlGith says is appearing on the monthly billing. That seems to be something EA is going to need to answer.

-Skylark

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Read my Edit. "Gaming Service" - There is a Difference between "Internet Access Service" and "Internet Gaming Service".

[/ QUOTE ]Okay... You somehow seem to think I have no idea how to describe what Ultima Online is, and also that I mysteriously got some kind of immediate answer from someone who, though working from the Illinois Department of Revenue, has no authority to answer my question.

I know how to describe what UO is. It wasn't an immediate response without any clarification from me. In fact, I have a lengthy thread of information going back and forth with the agent who responded to my initial request.

Yes, I have already written a letter to the Department of Revenue so I can receive a solid answer from them in regard to the issue. However, I ALSO contacted EA, as the DOR instructed I should do, to find out what made them decide to make this change, because as the DOR agent has assured me, there's been no laws regarding online gaming subscription fees passed, which would be the "new online subscription tax" that EA indicates in their link that is the source of this taxation.

G

More importantly, did you link them directly to http://www.ea.com &amp; http://www.uo.com so they could review the site and Gaming Service?

Who would I have contacted? First, I'd have tried here: http://www.revenue.state.il.us/AboutIdor/ContactUs.htm

Then if not satisfied, I'd go here http://www.irs.gov/ and review their information and then contact an IRS Representative if still not satisfied. Then, if still not satisfied, I'd go to a Tax Professional and inquire directly. Then if still not satisfied and I had plenty of money, I'd go talk to a Lawyer who specializes in Taxes.

I'd probably also contact EA Directly either by Email or Phone at some point. I surely wouldn't go off making assumptions on a public forum where I might spread false information until I had documented proof that Ultima Online is not Taxable in my State.

Oh yes, and if EA is being taxed for the service, wouldn't that mean that the customers whom EA has to pay taxes for, should be paying that tax to EA?

Example, a grocery store pays tax on sales of say, Batteries. They may then charge their customers that Tax or not and pay it themselves.

Anyway, I bow out now for you seem to already have the answer you want.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, lemme clear up the math for you:

12.99 * 0.0625 = 0.81
12.99 + 0.81 = 13.80

12.99 * 0.08 = 1.04
12.99 + 1.04 = 14.03

Guess what amount is appearing on my bill. Yep. 14.03.

On top of that, if EA's been paying the tax for quite some time, and now they've decided to sluff it off on the end users of certain states, that makes the information presented in your link an outright, blatant lie. But somehow, given the cheap state of EA and that their customer service is exported to a country where they can't be bothered to do more than paste a link, I guess I'm not surprised.

I do think it's time for me to review my monthly EA expenses though. With what they have been making off of me per month, that decision is certainly going to cost them from where I'm sitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for paying the tax that the rest of us dont yet!

G

I'll send that on to the billing team - obviously, something's not right.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orvago,

Seriously... I don't know where you think I've gotten an answer from. I attempted to contact EA BECAUSE the Illinois Department of Revenue suggested I do so. And EA's response has been, "Because."

It's clearly not a Federal tax because they're not charging subscribers of all states. Thus, I wouldn't visit the IRS's website.

I'm writing a letter to the Illinois DOR for an official, legally binding response from them regarding it. In the meantime, I'm asking EA, "Hey, what is it that you saw, read, got, received, noticed, determined, et cetera, that made you decide to start collecting this tax?"

What are you not understanding here? I'm still looking for freaking answers. I've already looked at the Illinois DOR website. When that failed to answer my question, I contacted the DOR. I explained to them the situation. They asked for clarifications. I gave them clarifications. When we were both satisfied that we were on the same page, I was told to (1) contact EA and find out why they're charging all of a sudden, and (2) to write to the DOR for a legally binding answer.

I attempted to contact EA. I got someone from well outside of this country. I came here to raise issue with it.

Now you're either indicating that I'm being sloppy in my homework, that someone at the DOR is lying to me, or that in my search for answers, I've already decided on the one that I want. For your edification, I even go so far in my letter to the Illinois DOR to say that if this tax IS a valid tax being collected, what rate is it that it should be collected at. I'm prepared that the official clarification may be that yes, this is a perfectly legitimate thing (though on intitial contacts, I don't believe it is), and want to cover ALL of my bases. Which is why I followed the DOR instructions and followed up with EA as well.

Unfortunately, following up with EA is much like ramming my head into a wall repeatedly and hoping that I'll bleed to death swiftly.

I

imported_Ilysess

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeremy I have just reviewed that document that you linked to and I would like an explanation as to why customers with a billing address in Canada are being subjected to this tax? I am not american, I dont live in the US and I certainly dont pay US taxes be it federal, state or any other....and furthermore, how are you determining my tax amount based on my zip code when I dont HAVE a zip code?

<blockquote><hr>

Answer

Electronic Arts will be charging local and sales tax for Ultima Online subscriptions beginning on June 26, 2007. The reason for this is many U.S. states are implementing taxes on online subscriptions. The tax calculation will be handled on the back-end using a system provided to us by Vertex.

Please Note: This Tax implementation began on January 29th, 2008. The tax will be assessed on applicable accounts starting on this date.

The tax is only for customers with a U.S. or Canada billing address and will not affect APO customers. Tax will be calculated by zip code. Before you can finalize a subscription, you will be shown what is listed as the "estimated tax". This is listed as an estimate only for legal reasons. It is in fact the actual amount to be billed.

[/ QUOTE ]

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I'd probably also contact EA Directly either by Email or Phone at some point. I surely wouldn't go off making assumptions on a public forum where I might spread false information until I had documented proof that Ultima Online is not Taxable in my State.

[/ QUOTE ]I did contact them via email. That's how I ended up here. *shakes head* I'm also not making assumptions, thanks.

B

Babble

So do they tax games now or not?

Anyone playing any other games that started charging gaming tax?

I think EA charges it in advance so if the law comes for a tax they have a system in place. Else they just cash the extra money and say thank you.. well they don't say it, they think got you sucker

G

Man, that article sure makes it sound like we're collecting U.S. taxes from Canadians, doesn't it? I'm sure it's a misread - I believe we're collecting state/local taxes from all of them, and started because a bunch of states now charge them, but I'll see if I can get clarification on that.

(It won't be quick - this sort of thing has to go through lawyers. LOTS of lawyers.)

G

I am sorry, just seemed to me that you were just slapping down the informational links I was putting here and your responses came off negatively. I do appologize if this was not the case.

I did have a thought though that might help better than anyone. Go to a tax person, someone that does taxes for a living and show them the documents of you paying taxes to EA and ask them if this is indeed a taxable service in Illinois. They would know and probably be able to locate the answer for you much faster than anyone else, for that is what they do for a living.

I just have a feeling the person you talked to was just a Representative using a Database to look up answers. Did they give you a time frame on how long a definitive answer would be emailed or mailed to you? If not, I would go back and request such definitive information. They will either do so or direct you to a place (Court House/Clerk Office?? not sure) where that information is available besides the confusing nature of the Internet. Might even be able to speak to someone face to face on it and get an even better definitive answer.

I do wish you luck in getting your answer, for I do know how frustrating it can be dealing with the Government, for they always seem to give the quickest answer to get off the phone, from my experiences throughout several States.

Edit: On the bright side, you should be able to include these taxes in your yearly tax filing.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Man, that article sure makes it sound like we're collecting U.S. taxes from Canadians, doesn't it? I'm sure it's a misread - I believe we're collecting state/local taxes from all of them, and started because a bunch of states now charge them, but I'll see if I can get clarification on that.

(It won't be quick - this sort of thing has to go through lawyers. LOTS of lawyers.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do did it go through lots of lawyers before this started?

Are the lawyers you are going to the same ones who approved charging Canadians a US tax?

I

imported_Ilysess

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the quick reply Jeremy, I dont mind waiting for an answer. I can understand if your states have started taxing things but our provinces have not. Contrary to popular belief we are still a different country and what your states do doesnt affect us

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I am sorry, just seemed to me that you were just slapping down the informational links I was putting here and your responses came off negatively. I do appologize if this was not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]I apologize if I came off negative. It's just that I've been pounding my head through that Illinois DOR site for a few days now (yes, over $1.04... because with multiple accounts, this raises my monthly fee significantly, and over the course of a year, will cost me well over $100 a year more... which may be nothing to some people, but to me, it's worth investigating in my spare moments), and with links that are "broken" because their web designer can't be bothered to shave off the existing website because their search engine is a different website altogether... well... yeah... I've got a headache. hehe But yeah, I started scouring there deeply, and found all kinds of stuff on telecommunications, playing Bingo, and plenty of stuff, but nothing related to online subscriptions, and yeah, it was a lengthy clarification process via email too. I really didn't feel blown off.
<blockquote><hr>

I did have a thought though that might help better than anyone. Go to a tax person, someone that does taxes for a living and show them the documents of you paying taxes to EA and ask them if this is indeed a taxable service in Illinois. They would know and probably be able to locate the answer for you much faster than anyone else, for that is what they do for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]That's not a bad idea at all.
I'll have to give that a try.

<blockquote><hr>

I just have a feeling the person you talked to was just a Representative using a Database to look up answers. Did they give you a time frame on how long a definitive answer would be emailed or mailed to you? If not, I would go back and request such definitive information. They will either do so or direct you to a place (Court House/Clerk Office?? not sure) where that information is available besides the confusing nature of the Internet. Might even be able to speak to someone face to face on it and get an even better definitive answer.

[/ QUOTE ]It very well could be that they finally got bored of trying to give me an answer, but after about six emails from each of us, I felt like I'd been assisted well (and frankly, better than what I got from EA's CS email). No idea what the timeframe on the letter to the DOR will be, but I'll certainly keep after it. hehe
<blockquote><hr>

I do wish you luck in getting your answer, for I do know how frustrating it can be dealing with the Government, for they always seem to give the quickest answer to get off the phone, from my experiences throughout several States.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah... to me, it just was strange suddenly being taxed for something I've never paid taxes on.
<blockquote><hr>

Edit: On the bright side, you should be able to include these taxes in your yearly tax filing.

[/ QUOTE ]hehe I'm not quite sure that itemizing "Online Video Game Play" qualifies for much by way of a break. hehe

U

uo addict

So that's why the team moved to Virginia!

Actually when I changed my subscription it told me that Virginia charges tax and added tax of zero.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
*sighs*

And you think YOU are the one who gets screwed!

Take a look at this then! :

$12,99 = €8,95 &lt;= <font color="blue"> This is what we should pay!</font>

€12,99 = $18,85 &lt;= <font color="red"> This is what we pay!! </font>

And as a dane (Denmark doesn't even have that bloody Euro!!) :

€12,99 = DKK 96,81
$12,99 = DKK 66,71

/rant

I

imported_Ilysess

<blockquote><hr>

*sighs*

And you think YOU are the one who gets screwed!

Take a look at this then! :

$12,99 = €8,95 &lt;= <font color="blue"> This is what we should pay!</font>

€12,99 = $18,85 &lt;= <font color="red"> This is what we pay!! </font>

And as a dane (Denmark doesn't even have that bloody Euro!!) :

€12,99 = DKK 96,81
$12,99 = DKK 66,71

/rant

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never understood why they dont just bill everyone $12.99 USD and whatever it converts to in your own funds so be it

G

RaDian, will you email me your account name? Billing is MOST curious about the percentage discrepancy
(jdalberg AT ea DOT com)

G

<blockquote><hr>

RaDian, will you email me your account name? Billing is MOST curious about the percentage discrepancy
(jdalberg AT ea DOT com)

[/ QUOTE ]Can you also have them look at why people in the UK pay so much than any one else, even allowing for VAT at 17.5%?

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Ive never understood why they dont just bill everyone $12.99 USD and whatever it converts to in your own funds so be it

[/ QUOTE ]

Im paying $10 a month now so that would cause me to cancel a couple of accounts to make up the $3.00 diff.

How about this... if your state applies a tax and you live in that state, pay it.
If your country applies a tax and you live in that country, pay it.

If you dont like it vote for lower taxes or move? Sorry, but you can't expect a Corporation to absorb losses from taxes and international currency differences. That is not sound business.

And... asking me to pay more because your country/state is taxing your Internet is ridiculous. I dont get to vote in your country so I'm not gonna pay your taxes, sorry.

Safe Travels, Sam

I

imported_Ilysess

I assume Sam that your remarks are not directed at me since I am the one who is complaining about being lumped with US on this whole tax issue..

Im not sure where you saw anything about expecting EA to absorb the difference in currencies...EA is an american company and I stated that they should bill in american funds regardless of where the account is. Meaning no matter what EA will get their same amount in us funds, and the subscribers may have to pay more or less depending on their currency conversion...

I am curious though what country you are in that you are being billed less than the US customers...as everyone else who is dealing with a conversion is being coverted upwards