• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Egg Fiasco Rant

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't know why they allow clients that are not the EC or CC to access the servers. It just blows my mind. They could implement something like a random encryption key that changes every 24 hours into each client thus forcing you to restart the client once every 24 hrs and if your client does not match the key, it refuses to connect. This type of encryption key is done for many forms of communications.
It would be a constant battle to fight and it would likely require more frequent obnoxious patches for everyone.

Couldn't they add a tag like "mesmerizing" that EJ accounts cannot pick up or touch? Is speed-hacking not a violation of UO's TOS? Can't they put a movement speed governor equivalent to casting speed of mages? Why are third party illegal clients even allowed to log in? Still getting bots scripting and making game play unenjoyable, even paging via physical harassment isn't changing a thing!
That would defeat the purpose of EJ. It's already restrictive enough.

If they do something like this... just admit EJ was a mistake and scrap it. IMO. But who knows how much money it brings in from people paying for storage.

Either it's bringing in money because people find EJ worth playing like that or it's not and it's being abused by players. Seems simple to me. If they do what you want, it would make people that find EJ worth playing legit and paying money for leave.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be a constant battle to fight and it would likely require more frequent obnoxious patches for everyone.
You do not know this. It works perfectly fine for other forms of digital access. It is a hell of a lot better solution than the anti-cheat software that many games use. I used to play a korean mmo, where the "game guard" would break your game and you cannot log in for 6 months until they fix it.

The community that is left in this game is either so jaded they only want to complain and never fix anything because it requires a minor bit of effort, or they are part of the cheaters. Then we have the utter idiot ideas constantly floated over on the official forums. We either learn to live with a little bit of inconvenience like forced logouts every 24 hrs or just stfu and let the game die like the 100's of other mmos where the population is 99% bots and 1% players. Take your pick. There are plenty out there.

I may just take a break from beating the dead horse, because with the limited resources and the current leader of the dev team, that is all we are left with to do anymore. In fact, I am.

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You do not know this. It works perfectly fine for other forms of digital access. It is a hell of a lot better solution than the anti-cheat software that many games use. I used to play a korean mmo, where the "game guard" would break your game and you cannot log in for 6 months until they fix it.

The community that is left in this game is either so jaded they only want to complain and never fix anything because it requires a minor bit of effort, or they are part of the cheaters. Then we have the utter idiot ideas constantly floated over on the official forums. We either learn to live with a little bit of inconvenience like forced logouts every 24 hrs or just stfu and let the game die like the 100's of other mmos where the population is 99% bots and 1% players. Take your pick. There are plenty out there.

I may just take a break from beating the dead horse, because with the limited resources and the current leader of the dev team, that is all we are left with to do anymore. In fact, I am.
At this point, I am fine with just letting UO die out. It has been pretty much taken over by scripters, gold sellers, and cheaters. If the devs did their jobs, and banned them, then it would be different. But they don't, for "whatever" reason. so, I say, just let UO die! Let's cut the cord. Unlike a lot of you, I have a RL outside of a computer. I don't play other games. But the friends I have made in UO will remain. I am actually at the home of one of them, for my semiannual 2 week visit as I type this. I will be just fine.

It just might be the time to let UO ride off into the sunset!

Last edited:

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
game has been "dying" for +20 years and it will probably go on another 20 haha

i do get a kick out of getting an egg before a bot can get to it. or when someone is afk napping and i run in and yoink the eggs spawning by their sorry arse .

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've really been enjoying grabbing eggs right before the scripters get it. It's like a game within a game for me.

UO will never get rid of scripters. It's been going on so damn long, there are only a few left that even care. In fact, after I accepted that fact, I no longer care. Just beat them to an egg. Feel good about yourself for a moment.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The people who claim to be grabbing eggs before scripters are funny..ya'll are funny. It's like criminals who can't help but return to the scene of the crime..you think about that because I'm not going to explain it...but really, ya'll are funny.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
wel,l im not laughing, there was afew times where i wasnt getting many eggs, so i sat near egg. i watch bot recall in running full blast for the egg as i picked it up. then recalling away. if theres no egg they dont move a step, they just recall to next spot. the scripts instantly detects if there are eggs present. they sure can instantly run pretty fast, right to the egg. i guess this is the legacy the devs were talking about lol.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I guess what made them a scripter was being able to recall and control shift and move.............

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find that people who claim to not script sure know an awful lot about the mechanics of it. Before this event runs out, I would appreciate one of you classic client egg finders making a video of how well you can grab eggs, especially those of you that profess to be faster than an executed script. I might actually pay money to watch that. Please let me know when that video is uploaded and your task bar isn't cropped out.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
simple.
im already standing by the egg when bot comes on screen. as i see them zooming across the map at crackhead speed, i pick up the egg.

it stops realizes it isnt there and kal ort pors away. how do i know theyre a bot ?
i ask .... u a bot ???
i never get a reply :rolleyes:

the other scenario is just as comical. the afk farmer whose probably doing same on multiple shards. they sit there and i come in as they sit over an egg. yoink !

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
simple.
im already standing by the egg when bot comes on screen. as i see them zooming across the map at crackhead speed, i pick up the egg.

it stops realizes it isnt there and kal ort pors away. how do i know theyre a bot ?
i ask .... u a bot ???
i never get a reply :rolleyes:

the other scenario is just as comical. the afk farmer whose probably doing same on multiple shards. they sit there and i come in as they sit over an egg. yoink !
Still doesn't make him a bot.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
hmmm did someone like me beat you to your egg ??
I gave up eggs before leaving for vacation. I haven't needed an egg as bad as people whining about scripters in a while. I even gave out all my spots and tips before leaving. So... no. You most definitely didn't get eggs before me. If you did, you'd know it already because on my shard we all got along just fine and didn't point fingers at each other. You obviously are bitter about the game design and it's basic core game design for this game so why do you even play if you're just going to whine about it every patch?

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I gave up eggs before leaving for vacation. I haven't needed an egg as bad as people whining about scripters in a while. I even gave out all my spots and tips before leaving. So... no. You most definitely didn't get eggs before me. If you did, you'd know it already because on my shard we all got along just fine and didn't point fingers at each other. You obviously are bitter about the game design and it's basic core game design for this game so why do you even play if you're just going to whine about it every patch?

... i dont think the bitter one is me ?
maybe take a more relaxing vacation next time dude

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... i dont think the bitter one is me ?
maybe take a more relaxing vacation next time dude
No, you're definitely bitter. And you are doing what amounts to name calling in a gaming community. Someone is doing something and you don't like it. "Scripter" Grow. Up. It's just a game and there was plenty of time to get 1 of every item. The real enemy is Broadsword for making the drop rate so low or the cost per drop so high.

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My opinion of the egg hunt may be unpopular. Too bad.

I enjoyed it. Had a runebook marked for the Islands and farm houses. There were about 12 locations I recalled to, ran through my set of runes once or twice several times a day. Always found eggs during my egg run. Sometimes many sometimes a few. Right now, by memory, I have two sets of candles and 3 sets of parrots. Don't have all the rare colors. Missed the end date because of RL and just not paying attention, but that's a plus. Now have about 2-3 dozen eggs, glad I do, they are pretty deco.

I liked the event and hope there is another like it.

So mote it be!