• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Economy and gold.. update needed

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
95percent of this thread is really dumb.

gold sinks would be nice. not hard to do either.

some ideas:
Special dye you can only pay npc for gold with. 50mil per charge.
Npc only harid dye - 500k was alot when it first came out. - update to 50 or 100mil
skill bonus above 720cap - 500mil per ten points up to 760

those are just some examples. nothing game changing, but things people would definitely drop gold on.
I want to paint the outside walls of my castle!!

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I can tell you how prices are produced.
Let average crimson price is 35 and there are 15 sellers. Some sellers want to sell fast and put them below average price (30-32), some sellers put them at average price (33-37), some sellers want to get more gold and put them over average (38-40, some seller just don't know prices and put them at "random" price that may be below or over the average price.
So we get: 25,30,31,32,33,34,34,35,36,36,37,38,39,40. Peoples buy cheapest first. so we get 34,34,35,36,36,37,38,39,40. Now the average price is 37, so sellers that want to put them at average price put them at 35-39. And peoples look at prices and buy at 34-37. And so on. Providing that it's a popular item and people have enough gold to buy them.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
u kids really think u know it all...lol.... !!..alas i guess my own teenagers think they do too...[whatever] [end]
I'm no "kid," and you are unable to refute the plain economic facts I have laid out.

Of course, in my early teens, I was already studying college-level hard science. My father didn't want to believe I knew more than him, but it still didn't change the fact that he was wrong.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
95percent of this thread is really dumb.

gold sinks would be nice. not hard to do either.

some ideas:
Special dye you can only pay npc for gold with. 50mil per charge.
Npc only harid dye - 500k was alot when it first came out. - update to 50 or 100mil
skill bonus above 720cap - 500mil per ten points up to 760

those are just some examples. nothing game changing, but things people would definitely drop gold on.
Dyes would have to be really special to command those prices. I don't see a lot of players paying 500K even today.

No thanks to skill cap increases. It would imbalance PvP in favor of those who can get their hands on duped gold.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Arguments in this thread are redundant tedium and you guys just need to give it a break for a few days. Relax and have a homebrew. You've been heard. Once you have something new chime in...after the break.

Thanks,

-Lorax

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tryed this already with one person now i m going to try it again
I can not force you to understand i tryed that already and it did not work you need to figure this out yourself

Think for this for awhile

People can not know how much total gold is in the world and they can not price the stuff based on that because they do not know

what they can know is how much gold people spend

And that is what they base how high and low they are going to price an item

Now picture a player that got alot of gold and nothing to buy (player A)... you can not say this is impossible because in uo it can happen nothing prevents it

It probably will not take that long before people selling stuff realise that this player do not buy anything and because he does not buy anything his gold can not make sellers expect to get more for the items and the only one that can change the prices is the seller

Now picture new items come in play that the passive player(player A) with alot of gold want so he start buying these

sellers start to expect to get more for these new items and the prices go up on these items

The gold that once was in the hands of the passive player(player A) go to players that did not have everything (player B) and they start to buy other things and the prices go up on those items

The effect that (player A) gold have on the market is identical to a scenario where you dupe gold and give it to (player B)

Cause and effect have to be connected

If the effect is that a seller put a higher price on items
Then the cause should be
That the seller expect to get more gold for the items

And I know you are going to say.. you can not have inflation without any gold... well you can affect prices without any gold if i convince a seller that his items are worth more than what he price them at and he agree with me then no gold was needed to make the price go up on his items even if only for a short while untill he realise i trick him

This is probaby not going to convice you but i hope it did raise a ?

No need to reply if you like to do so Do it
but i m not going to answer unless you pm me
Oh I get the argument, it just makes no particular sense and is of no particular use.

-Galen's player

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dyes would have to be really special to command those prices. I don't see a lot of players paying 500K even today.

No thanks to skill cap increases. It would imbalance PvP in favor of those who can get their hands on duped gold.
as much as i love the old times when jet black was the coolest color, we live in neon eye candy uo now. id probably pay 30 mil or so per charge for abyssal dye. i guarantee 100mil per charge for glacial armor/weapon dye and many would have full suits of it. hair dye is already 25-50mil for the best colors. why not just add some to npc alchemists. id buy gleaming fushcia pink hair for a leat one or 2 of my characters if it were around 50mil.

Main thing is, need something that is desirable that you pay an npc for with gold only. and that is alot. 50-500mil would begin to be significant. no turn ins that scripters can just dump crap in and sell for way under gold price.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
There is a way to reduce gold amount. It is an auction like in Diablo. 15% from each deal may be enough...

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a way to reduce gold amount. It is an auction like in Diablo. 15% from each deal may be enough...

Never having played it, I had to look it up. This is a fee that goes into the game, yes? Players can charge higher prices, you know, and nothing prevents them from farming more gold. There's not much difference between 88K and 75K for a jar of PoF, a bit more difference between 118 and 100 million. It's like an excise tax in the real world: incidence depends on which party is more flexible in absorbing the tax.

Ultimately it has the same effect as Zimbabwe chopping off a lot of zeroes. It scales down prices in the short term, but it doesn't do anything for the underlying cause of monetary growth (which I've said I accept as the nature of the game).

Last edited:

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
This is a fee that sellers pay to the Auction House from each deal. So this gold doesn't go to other players but is removed from the game.

I don't think people will farm more gold than they farm now. A lot of people even don't pick up gold because it's too heavy and too cheap. I believe that now people mostly use gold that was farmed/duped before.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
like says above during the invasion ...hardly anybody picked the gold up on the mobs corpse or captains...was surreal...must have been 50k on floor per invasion wasted/decayed.....would have been awesome for a real noobie to just hang around and bank the stuff as corpses became public...... really have no idea why people have stopped picking up gold.....is gold getting that worthless its not worth bothering with looting anymore...people just wanting the arties i guess

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with everything costing so much gold.. and the fact that you can only have one house per account.. (my main shard is pac and i also play on atl) gold either needs to be redesigned to not take up any bank space (possibly making it just a number on your paperdoll? account wide maybe?).. or check vaulues need to be increased to 10m or even 100m.

just to get a simple armor or weapon on atl i would have to throw out my entire bank box, and somehow make enough gold to max it out with checks.

some items are even selling for more then a bank can hold.. ive seen a few weapons in the 200m+ range..

im not 100% sure but if i had a vendor with gold, and i want to buy something from another vendor, does it take the gold from the vendor?
Hey, aarons6, you kicked off this massive thread because of being frustrated playing on a shard where you have no house and where the things you want to buy just keep getting more and more expensive every day. One of the things you mentioned was the idea of making gold just a number on your paperdoll.

I've been dragging my feet on dredging this up, but by any chance did you ever watch the one snippet of a video that survived from last year's 15th anniversary party with the dev team in Fairfax, Virginia? One dedicated fan posted it on YouTube and there's a transcript posted on the UltimaCodex website here: http://uo.ultimacodex.com/2012/10/uo-15th-anniversary-transcript-presentation/ . If you scroll part way down the page (time stamp in the transcript is about 7:20), you'll see a screen shot of one of the slides from the presentation that says "Dev Wish List," followed by another screenshot of the next slide with these bulleted items on it: Chaos/Order System; Currency Conversion; Vendor Search; Enhanced UI Improvements for the EC client; and Revising UO Armor to make all types useable.

At 7:36, Mesanna actually said about the "currency conversion" item: "We also want to talk about doing a currency conversion and getting checks out of the system, because the easiest thing in this game to dupe is checks."

So....don't give up on your poor bankbox just yet. We actually got the last item on the above-mentioned slide earlier this year. And it sounds like Virtue/Vice is still on the table. Vendor Search...well, let's just hope that the tidbits that R Traveler extracts with each new client patch and that might make one think it's actually in the works still, 15 months later, aren't just all a big tease. I tend to think it actually is coming because Mesanna has also mentioned more recently (in a video for Stratics 16th anniversary) wanting to provide us with some kind of an app to check vendors on mobile devices and that sounds like something that would be a direct result of putting in a new vendor search system. So maybe currency conversion will be implemented with it. Maybe you'll even be able to buy items while browsing vendors from your phone!! :eek:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I read this whole thread just for the entertainment value. Such passionate and eloquent arguments, but such an investment of time to craft them. I'm amazed at that.
Regarding the suggestion to offer skill cap increases for gold, I would think frisky young PvPers would buy the 100s of millions of gold for those higher caps with real money, so
I'm not sure that would reduce the overall gold in game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Herman is mostly right (of what I read.)

The interesting thing about the virtual economy, is that inflation in terms of what people know, doesn't make sense to them because what they see is stagnation. At the end of the day, an economies health is the 'purchasing power' of the regular player. Think an economy where players die (a lot) and require resources to play and gather more resources. You could imagine a stream of transactions that don't end. What's being traded is worth more than anything since it's the stuff that grants the ability to play. Yet, it's cheap enough to afford and profitable enough to create and sell. The price stabilizes because what sets a price is as Herman put.

There are 3 problems with the economy.

1. Duping ruined the game.
- Ruins the legitimacy of playing along.
2. Account wide deposit/storage of gold.
- Keeping everything as is, it would be nice if we could deposit gold into an account wide account to be used as it is used now.
3. Total wealth is too high.
- Reducing the total wealth will help return participation and legitimacy to the game. Insurance based systems need gold sinks. Siege (non-insurance) based do not if things are working right.

Global gold storage and currency conversion is a great idea.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Herman is mostly right (of what I read.)

Herman talked about "cause and effect" but couldn't get that right, and admittedly there's a language barrier, but he couldn't even see he was contradicting himself in successive paragraphs.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output." What Milton Friedman said applies to any world where resources are finite, whether Earth, UO, Romulus or Rigel IV.

The interesting thing about the virtual economy, is that inflation in terms of what people know, doesn't make sense to them because what they see is stagnation. At the end of the day, an economies health is the 'purchasing power' of the regular player. Think an economy where players die (a lot) and require resources to play and gather more resources. You could imagine a stream of transactions that don't end. What's being traded is worth more than anything since it's the stuff that grants the ability to play. Yet, it's cheap enough to afford and profitable enough to create and sell. The price stabilizes because what sets a price is as Herman put.
There are 3 problems with the economy.

1. Duping ruined the game.
- Ruins the legitimacy of playing along.
2. Account wide deposit/storage of gold.
- Keeping everything as is, it would be nice if we could deposit gold into an account wide account to be used as it is used now.
3. Total wealth is too high.
- Reducing the total wealth will help return participation and legitimacy to the game. Insurance based systems need gold sinks. Siege (non-insurance) based do not if things are working right.

Global gold storage and currency conversion is a great idea.
1. To some extent.
2. Certainly.
3. No, absolutely no. If you're talking about "wealth is too great for people to trade effectively," that's one thing, but there is never any such thing as "Total wealth is too high" in and of itself. Chopping zeroes off currency never worked in the real world, and it wouldn't in UO.

Insurance has certainly been a major factor. Back when UO was new, going to Shame was a great adventure, but how many times did we run out as ghosts (from the monsters, not PKs), not making it back before our bodies decayed? I think it was Rat Valley where a few of us got overrun, and that was a long run back to Brit, without encountering a single wandering healer.

Siege doesn't have the inflation of standard shards because the population is lower, trade with NPCs is rather one-sided, and killing high-yield monsters isn't as easy and risk-free.

siege.jpg