• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Discussion on insurance trolls on

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am currently in the most active guild I have been in, in over 10 years. What we have here is quality, not quantity. I think more quality is what we want, and the answers are not simple or easy. I don't PvP, but I get myself into enough damn situations where I could lose a suit, in the archaic places I go hunt to evade you all, and yes that too is an art form in and of itself... Keeping a suit gives things a whole 'nother edge. It's the simple fact of knowing you can lose it! Even a little insurance, no matter how much it costs, dulls that edge...

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as I can bless my purple shoes, I have no need for insurance. :dunce:
Have you also considered washing them? I think most people just don't want to mention that to you....Just sayin........

Last edited:

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So xxxxx you only play because of no insurance?
Sorry that makes no sense to me.
I don't want insurance either but if a large majority of the players did want insurance and it was changed I would not act like a 2 year old and pout and threaten to quit.
I really get irritated when long time players try to use quitting as a tool to try and get what they want. So instead of logical discussion we get emotion.

So my bottom line is - what is best for the shard and the majority of players.

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they ever did add insurance on siege..it would have to be an excessive amount of gold..like 3-5k per item..if your rich and die and don't mind losing 50-100k per death awesome! But it would still help crafters and such because "most" people won't want to spend that kind of gold per death
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After reading this, I tend to agree with the above. Let's say an item insurance was 20k - 30K per item. Assuming you insure 10 items, that is 200K - 300K per death (yep... you are going to still be ticked off) and 200K - 300K for the person that killed you (yep... trash talk will continue). If you elect not to insure, it is totally up to you. Some people may only insure a few items.

http://stratics.com/community/threads/faction-buy-back-proposal.221413/
http://stratics.com/community/threads/hoping-we-can-set-up-a-buyback-system.286248/

Even with no insurance, maybe it is time for a December post on U-hall to see the latest things preventing people from trying Siege ;)
http://stratics.com/community/threads/welcome-to-siege-perilous-we-have-something-to-offer.302030/

Rue Tor,
P.S. Up to 6 gold coins...

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think it really depends on the players you want to attract if you support insurance on siege. Any advantage or change that is meant to be good can be abused. I don't agree with insurance on siege in any form, however, if it was to be done i would vote it to be cheap like 1 gp each... The reason I don't think making it excessively priced, it really promotes the need for excessive gold. It gives an advantage to those with large banks accounts. It may be my perception but those that are motivated purely by gold (not even real money) are not my favorite players to run into. The reason people play on the non siege type shards is because they like it there. It is not easy to start up new and to make it harder there is only one character slot. To me it would make more sense to add and extra player slot or two to attract people. It would promote the skills and allow for those who play odd hours to get something done. I can see the point i hear often is it's too hard to find useful items. It's not that there isn't vendors, it's that 80 percent at empty... it makes shopping painful, add on the fact you can die in two hits... If i hadn't made York years ago i would have a hard time wanting to stay. With that being said, I think it's better to release the stat and skill restrictions. My friend on chessy won't play because he says it would take too long to skill up and having to do this for a few accounts its easier to just play on proto. I have personally never heard anyone say Insurance would make siege playable, Stat, Skills, Character Slots. those are the changes i think would make siege more playable without taking from the experience.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RueTor posted (post 56 above) a link to a UHall thread regarding why people don't come to Siege. There are actually only a few people who said why, but I think I can sum it up with one of those from that thread:

....I'm not into PvP, have no intention of playing PvP. I do play part-time on Siege. Dying is not part of my fun in the game, and I do not enjoy walking back to town in gray-mode. Some people get their jollies PK-ing the defenseless - I just don't see it.
The perception among the citizenry of other shards, is that Siege is nothing more than a collection of pk "kids" and that you're apt to become dead as soon as you step out of your house. That's the perception. Now, you and I know that Siege offers a lot more than that - but they don't. So take RueTor's link and add YOUR reasons for playing Siege. Maybe together, we could at least change some of those perceptions.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am against insurance, or anything else being changed, we have had enough changes that didn't attract more players. If they have not come, and stayed by now, i really doubt it will happen. if they change too much more, I feel Siege will lose what makes it Siege. This is just my opinion, and I will of course play here til the servers are Hamster-less.

To Kelmo: We aren't sick, but our throats are a little scratchy. :p

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
No to insurance.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes to insurance if you're not going to push for increased loot/resource drops.

Thanks.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't want insurance either but if a large majority of the players did want insurance and it was changed I would not act like a 2 year old and pout and threaten to quit.
I really get irritated when long time players try to use quitting as a tool to try and get what they want. So instead of logical discussion we get emotion.

I second this motion.

You vets are overestimating your value. If all you quit tomorrow, new players would come and replace you.

I support insurance for 3 items. 2 of those 3 items must be legendary crafter made, and crafter applies the insurance to it (or removes it) for big costs. I also support a big cost increment to dying with those insured items. Maybe a vet will lose 200-300k gold to "keep" the insured items.

Maybe the insured items should get sent to the bank upon death, so you can't rez kill over and over for 300k a kill.

This will also help move gold and wealth from vets to newbies. That is something important I want to stress. There needs to be a reasonable way to allocate wealth from the top 1%ers (vets) to the newbies. Right now, the economy is stagnant, mostly because the vets are at fault.

And I don't want to hear from tina tink on this matter. Her prices are jacked higher than everybody else. She's greedy and out of touch with reality, in my opinion.

I've never bought a suit from tina tink, and never plan to. Almost every trader in the NM bazaar is cheaper than hers. Almost every player vendor sells cheaper suits than hers. She doesn't know what she's talking about with the economy.

She is one of the problematic vets, not a boon. Also threatening to quit is hella lame. Go ahead and quit. Maybe your friends will cry for you. But the newcomers to the shard won't.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

I know, I can't play on normal shards, I have tryed several times and it do not work for me.
When we first got the 7th ann items, I did not believe the blessing would be a problem, it was only a few items. It ende up being a pain and we had to fight hard to get the blessing removed again.
It would be even worse if you would be able to insure upper items and it would kill our shard and ruin the good community we have.
I have been playing for 15 years without closing my main accounts. When I say, I'm going to quit the day we get Item Insurance I mean it, there will be nothing left for me on Siege.

I believe no Item insurance is one of the most important parts of Siege together with being attackable everywhere. I never loot if I kill someone, so that's not the reason I want to keep the looting risk on Siege.

Call me lame or what you want, I don't care but I do care about Siege. Yes I want more players but I don't want alot who can't handle the risk on Siege. In old days, players would join up and kill the troublemakers, that's what Siege is about.

I don't like this cry for item insurance, next cry will be for the rest of the trammel ruleset, just like the crying was destroying the game I loved on the other shards. I loved Atlantic and the community there, including all the reds. Then we first got stat loss for reds and then Trammel. I have tryed to play on Atlantic after but I can't stand the attitude there now and you have to call a GM instead of kill the ******* who try to ruin your game.

There is one shard left for me, I have been here sinse it was born and I will stay here to it close down or get ruined like the other shards.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I will stand with ya Freja.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't care if you and Kelmo and others lobby against insurance (as I have said repeatedly I don't want it either) I do object to people trying to force their playing style and ideas on others. And I really hate the "I'm gonna quit! if I don't get my way"

I have played siege since the start also and the 196 months on my account were mainly played on Siege (well my guys did get wiped way back when - when they started Siege over) I hated Age of Shadows when the shard became item based. I hated imbuing. I hated shame loot (and still do).

But I keep playing because I enjoy the people and the economy. But don't think that I or you dictate the future of the shard.
OK - that's it for me on this thread - have a very nice day!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*nods* I understand what you are saying. I can appreciate your point of view, but I do not feel we are "dictating" anything. I am merely sharing my point of view.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
TheDrAJ you have as much right to your opinion as I have. I do not agree with you but that's ok :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No insurance but perhaps a change to the siege bless and up t to 3 items rather than one with the bless making the items turn to "Cannot be repaired" or a timer on the blessing of 15-30 days. As far as stealth goes its easy enough to track, reveal and kill someone hiding, to equate stealth to insurance is apples and oranges. Put tracking and Detect hidden on your template or have a partner that is a tracker. I would tweak the passive detect to give a better shot at revealing people that stealth to close and make it a bit more challenging. But tracking and detect hidden are an effectiv counter to stealth most people just don't run a template with those though because then there would not be room for their hiding and stealth :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
9) Bind origin store items to the account that bought them, like the Brittania ship is. This eliminates that secondary market.
Bad idea, I am fortunate enough to be a little better than OK financially irl and if by me buying store items and then selling them ingame for game gold to folks who might not be able to afford them otherwise helps the community. When the urge strikes me and I have not hit the origin store limit of purchases before the buying cool down time starts I toss store items out there first in private to friends that might need them and anything left over goes on my vendor and I make a GC announcement. Account binding store items would basically take many things out of the reach of many players that might be well off with game gold but just enough rl cash to keep the sub going. Why hurt them?

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
have any of you people that are saying detect and track are useful tools vs someone who knows what they are doing ever killed anyone while using them??? Bo knows all about stealth more than just about anyone on this shard. Bo will wager 2 million gold that you and the people saying they can kill someone using these tools cant infact do it. Oh maybe inside of a confined space like arena or house but that is it.
Bo does like the idea of the insured items having a timer put on them, like faction gear. Once you insure it, the timer starts and the item disappears after so many days.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No insurance but perhaps a change to the siege bless and up t to 3 items rather than one with the bless making the items turn to "Cannot be repaired" or a timer on the blessing of 15-30 days. As far as stealth goes its easy enough to track, reveal and kill someone hiding, to equate stealth to insurance is apples and oranges. Put tracking and Detect hidden on your template or have a partner that is a tracker. I would tweak the passive detect to give a better shot at revealing people that stealth to close and make it a bit more challenging. But tracking and detect hidden are an effectiv counter to stealth most people just don't run a template with those though because then there would not be room for their hiding and stealth :)
Unless they removed the timer on detect hidden since I last checked, tell me wise one... what good is tracking and detect hidden if the moment you reveal a hidden player, they just hit one button and instantly re-hide, while the detector waits to try again.

That's an awefully 'effectiv' counter move.

It's a form of insurance against dying. There is no counter against a player who knows what they're doing. Just like usual, any discussion worth a lick is saturated with ignorance or worse: lies.

Enjoy the disparity people! Clearly with you all, Siege is now a decade of broken. Exactly what you continuously ask for.

Pendragon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
never expected my mocking people who say they hate insurance but use hide stealth which is a form of insurance would become so popular, at least bo sees the light

MANSBETH

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe a couple more bless items would be cool. Not total insurance.
Trade skills need much more of a vital role in our economy!
Stat stones since we can't have an additional character.
Nothing wrong with all the ideas. Siege needs to adapt or change in order to survive....we all do in rl.
Change is good....evolution.
Why not have a democratic vote on the shard?
If the old vets win....so be it.

Vote on certain suggestions.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
never expected my mocking people who say they hate insurance but use hide stealth which is a form of insurance would become so popular, at least bo sees the light
Oh for pete's sake you guys, get over it. Insurance costs a few bucks - period. Hiding/Stealth requires a large commitment of skill points.... Comparing the two is like comparing apples to rocks. I fully expect you to be telling us that banking in a guard zone should be outlawed too. Not fair, you get guards! Geeesh

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
More blessed items are not the solusion unless the blessed items goes to the bank when you die and get cursed for 20 min, where you can't rebless them but I still don't like it. Don't make the same mistake two times, we always tryed having several blessed items. There was a reason we as shard choose to get rid of that blessing. If we allow Item insurance or Siege bless for just a few items, this items will be alot more powerful than the old 7th annu items. It won't give us more Siege players and sure not more fun.
Right now, it's very hard to sell weapon because od the Siege Bless. If you had 2 Siege Bless more, what would you then bless? I believe it would hurt the crafters and jewelry and spellbooks with mods would be hard to sell.
I would not mind to see a big nerf to stealth so you have to move a few step at the time when near other players, else you will drop out of hiding. Also let field spells unhide stealters again.
You may love being safe in stealt mode but do you also love that stealt PK, who attack from the shadow and poison you and then go back into stealth. I miss when I saw red and blue namesin the edge of my screen and know it was time to fight or run.
Hidding is all fine, that will help when browsing vendors, standing at bank or when mining. Just open a gate to a safe place before you buy from the vendor.

What about cancel that single bless we already have and get rid of stealth :)

I get sick when I see all the vendors at Luna Atlantic and the prices. I don't want that to happen to Siege. The way to go is to make it easier to replace your stuff. It's not that hard to keep a spare suit or two.
What happen to the good old anti guilds, who would challenge the PK's and try to keep the hunting spots safe and the PK's busy? How do we get them back, how do we make blue love PvP again?

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What happen to the good old anti guilds, who would challenge the PK's and try to keep the hunting spots safe and the PK's busy? How do we get them back, how do we make blue love PvP again?[/quote]

They all left cause the reds took all there gear. What happened was the gear got better and siege remained the same, so the reds after awhile of dominating took control of all the good loot. And they used it, while the blues were afraid to lose it. This created a huge gap in what people would wear, which in turn gave the reds the advantage. This drove off tons of people.
As for you comparing this to the sammy and legs blessings is totally wrong. The biggest issue with those items where they were not readily available to everyone. If you came to siege late you missed out on them. Again created the same gap between the haves and the havenots. Causing the same problem as stated above. If you played the game instead of just lurking you and several other negative nancys would have seen this happening!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Freja with 3 items siege blessed and destroyed when the timer ends and not repairable those 3 items would come out of the bank and get used as well as being lost thus causing people to either make or buy new items to replace them. I make some nice high end suits that as it is very few people will buy. I make some nice basic 70s lrc suits that I can't make enough of. 25k suit vs a 500-750k suit depending on how many frags and ingreds go into it. If people knew they would keep atleast half their suit when they die they would spend the money on the higher nd suits even if they knew it would break and go poof after a set period of time. I would also be more inclined to make more high end suits. Bo is right that many just run the shame junk because it is free and better than anything we can craft and losing it is no big deal.

As to stealth I guess some folks missed the part about increasing the passive reveal to balance it out some maybe base the increased chances on ones detect hidden skill. If someone is going to invest 220 skill points into hiding and stealth someone else should have to invest 100 points into being able to effectively counter. As usual one side wants everything to be easier with no cost to their chosen template though.

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege players will always be in the minority because UO gamers in general see PvP as an option, not a requirement. That issue was decided with the introduction of Trammel. Players voted with their feet. Insurance did not save Felucca.

In fact, non-consensual PvP is the only difference between Felucca & the other lands on production shards. And gamers there avoid Felucca.
Siege Perilous is the Felucca of UO.
So if the question is, to have insurance or not, there is no answer that will increase Siege population.

Maybe the question is, how do we attract more players like us? What is it about Siege that we most like, why do we play here? I'm here because Trammel bores me. So I tell my friends on Atlantic that Siege is a fresh challenge, that it's like starting Ultima all over again. Remember those days, I ask them? Sometimes, that works and a new player pops up here.
But that's just me. There must be many other good reasons.

Why does anyone play Siege?
:next:

Last edited:

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The bottom line is this.

If a change doesn't bring in new players, high or low quality, then all these points mean nothing. If new players won't come, despite any changes, then don't change anything.

Otherwise you cater to one half of the shard and not the other half. That's unnecessary.

So to the old vets: "Shut up"

Your opinions mean very little, with contrast to bringing in new players. If new players will come, then old vets must keep their minds open. This "I'm going to quit if SP changes" is DETRIMENTAL to the prosperity of the shard. You old vets don't control the shard, despite convincing yourselves that you do.

Population is important. And I see now, the truth. The truth is, most of the old vets are preventing new players from coming in, unless they get "approved of". This attitude needs to change. And it will change. And I can promise the old vets won't always get your way.

Because the new replaces the old, eventually. And someday the new players will own the shard. And the shard ruleset will cater to the new players, not the old.

So how does SP get new players, while retaining the "essence" of siege perilous?

Insurance is not antithetical to SP. We already have it. I promote an extension of this, but not too much. I promote crafters and changing the stagnant economy. I promote making it easier for new players to come into SP, and begin pvp sooner than later. Right now, the old vets dominate the economy, and dominate pvp. So new players need to work together, in groups, to defend themselves. But the bottomline is simple, SP ought to make changes to the shard which will immediately boost the population, and retain the essence of the shard.

Otherwise all this talk about change is pointless. You may as well keep everything the same.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Shut up?
I am old and in the way?
I am not seeing a lot of substance or ideas for these things you "promote". What are these "changes" you ask for that will immediately boost the population?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What most seem to overlook is that most prodo players are so affraid of death even with insurance that they will never do more than log in make enough money to place a second house and never be seen again. No amount of insurance or stealth will change that.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Shut up?
I am old and in the way?
I am not seeing a lot of substance or ideas for these things you "promote". What are these "changes" you ask for that will immediately boost the population?
I wrote out tons of ideas.

See, you didn't even read my replies. You old vets only read each other, not the input of the new players. You proved my points.

As long as you vets have an internal discussion, and remain blind, then just don't be surprised when things do finally change, but not in your favor.

My ideas are listed throughout the thread. The main thing that will bring new players to the shard is improving the economy, giving a profitable job to new crafters, resources gatherers, and pvp players. If new players can have some outlets for success, and see results for sticking around, then they'll actually have an incentive to stay for longer than a few months.

Right now, people like Kelmo and Tina Tink are hurting this community more than helping. They're close minded, not open to change, and ultimately do not have what's best for everybody, in mind, while I do. I do have what's best for everybody in mind. Because I have more energy and enthusiasm for the shard than you people do, more positive ideas and motivations.

Now, I expect a blind eye. That's fine. I'm just promoting the shard and giving positive ideas. I know that haters will show up eventually.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I just reviewed your ideas... *chuckles*

If in your opinion, Freja and I are bad for the shard, well that is OK I suppose. I am going to have to disagree. At least as far as Freja is concerned.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wrote out tons of ideas......My ideas are listed throughout the thread. The main thing that will bring new players to the shard is improving the economy, .....

Improving the economy is something that everyone wants, not just you. I'm still waiting to hear exactly HOW you plan to do that....

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I wrote out tons of ideas.

See, you didn't even read my replies. You old vets only read each other, not the input of the new players. You proved my points.

As long as you vets have an internal discussion, and remain blind, then just don't be surprised when things do finally change, but not in your favor.
I found nothing useful in your ideas sorry, most are trash talk in my opinion. Attacking me do not help you in any way and do not make your ideas better or make anyone feel you ae cool.

My ideas are listed throughout the thread. The main thing that will bring new players to the shard is improving the economy, giving a profitable job to new crafters, resources gatherers, and pvp players. If new players can have some outlets for success, and see results for sticking around, then they'll actually have an incentive to stay for longer than a few months.
Alot good ideas in this thread. Good for you, that you believe your ideas will bring more players to the shard. It do not in anyway prove you have right. We are some, who have been here sinse the shard was up and some like Kelmo, who have been here in many years. We know alot about the shard and have seen the shard get hurt alot times, most times when we got Tramme code added to the shard.
Insurance won't make non PvP players like dying to other players. As Tyrant said, it will only make them stay long enough to place a house (that will be a ghost house on the shard) and maybe get their char maxed out in skills, mostly from macroing inside a house. They will never get the balls to play the char and risk dying. More char slots could help a while, as they would be able to have a crafter and a resource farmer and easier be able to replace their gear, bt they would still fear dying even with enough money in their bank

Right now, people like Kelmo and Tina Tink are hurting this community more than helping. They're close minded, not open to change, and ultimately do not have what's best for everybody, in mind, while I do. I do have what's best for everybody in mind. Because I have more energy and enthusiasm for the shard than you people do, more positive ideas and motivations.
How many do you think agree with you here, maybe you should make a poll :p
Let me try to remember. You blaim me for my prices. Crazy, if I not sell, my prices are to high. If I sell faster than I can restock, my prices are to low. I try to to set my prices somewhere between. I do not have RL time to farm for imbuing resources, so I try to buy via my stall vendor. Think you said my prices are wrong there too. If you don't like my prices, stay away from my vendors. Time is money too and I could sure make more money from farming unrsw and selling relic and other imbuing resources than from crafting. Now I choose how I like to play so you can cry as much you want, I'm to old to care about people with your attitude, to me, you are just an annoying nobody, who try to get attention.

Now, I expect a blind eye. That's fine. I'm just promoting the shard and giving positive ideas. I know that haters will show up eventually.
Oh so, the ones who don't agree with you are haters. If your ideas was something, I'm sure you would get more support.
Now get of my back, trying to standing on my and Kelmo's head, yelling "See me, see my ideas, see Tina and Kelmo sucks" do not prove anything about your ideas.

About me and NEW2. I will never have as much time and as much energy to put in NEW2 as Shalimar had. I have a RL too and that is much more important then this game.

Ok, you got a reply from me, hope you happy but I doubt.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they added insurance the people saying no they don't want it could just not insure items. :p

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If they added insurance the people saying no they don't want it could just not insure items. :p
That do not prove, more would play here and that it would not kill crafting. I still believe filled vendors would do the trick, it's not, that new chars can't afford a new suit, more that it are hard to find the suit they want.

Also they need e-mount, dye tubs, tons of revards and gifts they are use to have on old shard.
Instead of item insurance, I rather saw them be able to turn in some rewards on their old shard and claim them on Siege.

To TheDrAJ:
I know you dislike Shame loot and Item Insurance. I believe this two really help the damage from AoS but to make it work on Siege, we need grav yards and other overland spawn to have shame level 1 loot.

In old days, players lived more around the player towns and npc towns, better overland loot, more gems from mining and no 3x taxes and no factions taxes would help alot.

I know we don't agree alot but this is what I believe.
I know you dislike Shame loot and Item Insurance. I believe this two really help the damage from AoS but to make it work on Siege, we need grav yards and other overland spawn to have shame level 1 loot.

In old days, players lived more around the player towns and npc towns, better overland loot, more gems from mining and no 3x taxes and no factions taxes would help alot.

I know we don't agree alot but this is what I believe.

Last edited:

Pendragon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The one common thing i find interesting is,people who say they have been here since day one and know the shard works and what will make it work, it seems to me the shard is largely unpopular and many people try and leave, i would say then statistically what the "vets" have done hasnt worked, just a factual approach to the conversation.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Siege is not for everyone. Freja and I know that. I do not know what means you are using to measure "largely unpopular" or conduct the exit polls as to why people are leaving. Where are these "statistical facts"? What means did you use to come by them? You have no clue as the efforts so many vets have put in for this change or that... You do not know Siege at all... Broker.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I know about siege is..."you might not see us, but we are here"

And asking for 1v1 Mage duels = stealther dismount ganked :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T R U

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Winks at Ghost* My opposing faction sidekick could not heal me against your double mage dump. So you won a 2v1. Congrats.

All of you need to play more and talk less!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* cazador. Does honorable dueling happen on the shards ya play on? On Siege ya can define honor by such things. I have known dozens of honorable duelists that brought their best. A hand full of ass wagons can ruin all of that.

Siege is not a PvP shard. No matter how much some scream that it is. All of the odd rules and such that make up our rule set are a very delicate balance. This shard must be playable by all of those folks that the rule set appeals to. We few that that play this shard are a different folk. Siege is not for everyone. It is here for those few of us that wish to play this sort of game.

Do not throw PvP anything back at me. Felucca is pretty much a failure even with insurance. Sure, there are some few shards with an active PvP population.

Please do not ask that Siege Perilous be thrown into the bin just to appease some few new players that do not understand what Siege really is.

Troop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you also considered washing them? I think most people just don't want to mention that to you....Just sayin........
I have 1,757 pair of purple shoes. When I am not wearing a pair, the elves that I have enslaved are busy cleaning and polishing the purple shoes.

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok , i s'pose ill toss my 2 gp in . for what good it may do ...

you guys haven't been here , you haven't seen . if it wasn't for kelmo we wouldn't have a public transportation hub or a direct public link to the abyss . if it wasn't for freja NEW would have died when shalimar left .

kelmo and freja have helped more than you can know . most of us will help given the chance.

i always tell people to keep a spare suit on the shelf and consider that prepaid insurance . how hard is that ? dont carry what you cant lose . how hard is that ?

i for one dont like the idea of insurance , but ill adapt if it comes . (i always do)

however, no insurance is one thing that makes siege unique . the mere threat of losing things adds a thrill . if you want safe , siege is not for you . (the shard is PERILOUS after all)

there are other things that could entice newcomers (a second char slot would go far) but removing the danger isn't the answer. we are here for the challenge .

by the way , i still have suits on my vendor that have been sitting there at least a week . 18k for a barbed LRC suit anyone ? its north of zento gate . shop from the safety of the guard zone over the wall . look for "Borg's Vendor" just dont complain about the lack of suits when they have been there the whole time.

ill even give you a free basic suit if you ask nicely. if you need gold, see my commodity broker by the new mag south bank entrance . ill buy your resources . (cloth boards ingots gems etc) put forth a little effort and ill help you any way i can . stand there and whine and you'll get the one finger salute.

and no im not a pk . far from it . but danger is the way of life here . ADAPT !

learn death recovery . i die all the time. in pvm its amazing how much money i save not having things insured. if someone kills you, instead of making excuses or complaining, actually TALK to the dude. congratulate him on the kill and ask to buy your stuff back . if hes really as rich as you think , you'll probably get it back for free . (after all what would a "multi-billionaire" want with your chump change ?)

oh and really , you think people have multiple billions ? not that i know of . ive only ever heard of 2 people even having 1 billion (and both are now gone) maybe a few people on the dark side of the game i never speak to have that kinda money, but i highly doubt it . gold wasnt duped here like it was on prodo . (thank god for the no transfer in rule)

well ok im rambling, but y'all got me started . there they are, uncle's many words o wisdom. ignore them at your own peril.

peace

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even different prodo shards are unique and hold different peoples interest fo different reasons. Siege holds one segment of Uos populations full time interest and others part time interest. The biggest thing we can do to promote the shard and retain people is to get them vested in siege. New people see someone blue or red nd they run like rabbits with a pack of coyotes after it. Thats not real conducive to building friendships and getting new folks bonded to the shard. Other problem is the insane inflation on things over the last few months. The good news is Siege has a bigger and more involved population than a couple of the prodo shards ;)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe Siege do have all kind of playtypes, from peaceful crafters and fishermen to hardcore PvP'ers. Together we are a very tight community, even when we rarely agree much about what is best for Siege.
When new players comes here, they are very scared of the ruleset and our reds and thieves. It's not that they die alot or lose alot suits, it's more the fear for dying and lose stuff, that stop them playing the game they want. They believe Item Insurance will make them less scared. I doubt it, it's easy to insure your gear, just be sure you always have 1-2 spare suit.
I have seen alot stand in a house, training magery, to scared to lose their noob LRC suit instead getting wool and leather from animals and sell it or kill monsters for gold and gems.
Fear is very hard to fight. If you can't get rid of that fear, even free item insurance would not help.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
um before ya yell at me cuz I no longer play UO....I played UO pre insurance on prodo shard and then came to Siege. Now why did I end up coming to Siege Perilous?
One of the main reasons this ol vet came to Siege was simply cuz while my original Queen Zen on Chesapeake was a warrior, I had added in there one crafter skill so the lil queen could always be properly dressed. So the original 1998 Chessie QZ was a tailor on top of gm++ warrior skills. When insurance hit, I saw folks insuring my 100 gp no mods QZ crafted sandals.
Bad enough UO made the trammel that ruined UO like I preferred it, then they brought in insurance which to me was one of the pampering dorkiest things the dev. team ever added to the ruination of the original UO game post TRAMMEL..but that is was just my opinion.

I mean GEEZOW...100gp sandals insured so they never would lose em. I mean gimme a break I would gladly even craft those and make them for them had they lost em to pvper or reds or monsters in some cave where they died....but noooooooooooo they were scared to lose the dorky 100 gp sandals and insured them. Thus rendering me no reason to craft even dorky cheap sandals ever again cuz every one even insured cheap stupid sandals !!!! As the years went on I would be the only one in FELUCCA PaxLair when folks came a killing us at anniversary parties there, with UNINSURED stuff on..everyone else was insured to the nines. So yes if one hated insurance one could and should do without it like I did even on Chessie... but it makes other folks look at ya, like you are insane but whatever.

I came to Siege Perilous cuz no one here could insure stupid 10o gp sandals !!!! I fathom fear of losing pricey suits esp. with mods to percentages %$%%%%%%%%that make your head spin trying to do the math just to figure out what suit might be worth of flip to wear for monster bashing or combat pvpin...maybe UO should kept suits of any kinds of worthwhile suits faction and non faction equal in mods and lots simpler/cheaper to craft and to get/purchase !!
But that is water over the bridge suits became more and more pricey like crafting or building em at Neiman Marcus stores.

And yall surely remember none of my chrs, had any stealth but the one QZ I made here and nearly any pk worth their salt seemed to find my lil stealthing QZ and kill her anyhow..which just made me chuckle telling me they can DETECT me if they gotz the skills equal to my stealing/hiding skills on one of my 5 chrs. here.

Insurance...meh I did come to Siege cuz Siege had no trammel and NO insurance. Not saying I would be 100 % against it here...but once ya open that door to Siege being just like other shards...it is no longer SIEGE PERILOUS...no peril = playing like other shards !
But hey since I no longer play my opinions are mute points anyhows...just saying I came to Siege cuz yall had no insurance. Depends I guess on what kinda folks you want coming to Siege...folks like me that were not *ascared* to lose crap...even stupid 100gp sandals or way more which I often lost here..or folks that want every item on them even dorky cheap sandies...insured cuz they scared to lose em. I think we had a vote here once, and all it ended up doing were massive Siege Forum arguments regarding insurance for Siege and went no where. :)

I will also add...................ahem first murder that pkd me HERE...he was blessed to the nines...and as my lil dead self clicked on his paperdolly I pointed at him and laughed shouting in dead speak...yo mr. killa you are blessed to the nines on everything nearly that you are wearing........... U TRAMMIE !!! :) LOL

*goes off to oblivion again may yall have a merry Christmas whether ya for insuring junk on your chr. on Siege or not !!* and yes I AM STILL LONGWINDED LONG POSTIN BITE ME ! LOL

BUT I CAME HERE to SIEGE' PERILOUS '... CUZ YA HAD NO INSURANCE !

lol

Last edited: