• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discussion about new ideas for economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Probably has to do with new economy mostly. I think if TC3 works out well, it will go to TC1 to test how well it works going into an already populated city. This will let them figure out what happens when its placed into a city with an economy thats already bad.

G

They certainly are ! Very exciting stuff.

And there are definitely some interesting discussions about who should be able to participate in testing .... !

Polly

G

And the team continues to grow! That's a sure sign of EA's commitment, they are actually paying people to work on this project!

G

It's definitely the long awaited turn-around for TSO, we're finally moved off the back-burner at EA!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Actually, to me it sounds like there is some jealousy of people having old sims and locks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has nothing to do with jealousy and everything to do with the majority wanting everyone to start equally on all fronts and hoping a few vocal people don't mess that up.

And that's coming from someone with a Beta sim.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Actually, to me it sounds like there is some jealousy of people having old sims and locks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has nothing to do with jealousy and everything to do with the majority wanting everyone to start equally on all fronts and hoping a few vocal people don't mess that up.

And that's coming from someone with a Beta sim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me! Sorry for being vocal and 'messing' things up. I have just as much a right to speak up about keeping age and locks as those that speak up about making everyone go back to square one.

You know what? There might be quite a few that would thank us 'vocal' people if Luc makes it possible to create our sim based on the age of our accounts. And I seriously doubt that it would really deter people from playing the game know that they would be able to create/recreate sims and maintain their age.

Why is it so hard for players to allow sims that have old accounts be able to keep some of their age and skills?

I don't know about any of the other old sims, but I feel like I'm being punished because some people cheated and flooded the game with simoleans.

Let's get real here though...EA's abandonment started long before that.

B

Bindy

Some of us have earned the right to want to keep our sim ages and locks..after 4 yrs of skilling I for one am just a bit worn out from all the skilling.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I am not looking forward to starting over with no skills and limited skill locks either. In fact, I have had the same sim for 4.5 years because I never once wanted to start over and give up my age or locks. There is probably not a single person that has been playing for over a year that doesn't feel abanoned or neglected. Even people that were just now due to get their one year anniversary statues experienced the neglect when a bug prevented them from getting their gifts.

However, even without those skills and locks, older players do have an advantage. Older players are more experienced. Older players already know what it is like to enter an empty city with nothing but the shirt on their backs. Older players know how to skill and make money without payouts and fruit trees. Older players will have a larger network of friends to help them get established. Anyone that was playing when Dragon's Cove or Betaville was opened will have the experience of starting fresh in a city that has nothing to offer.

To say that your age means nothing would be inaccurate. Your age and experience will be an advantage over anyone that has never started from the ground up.

There have been many disccusions about rewards and anniversary gifts of the future. Why should we settle for a new object like a campfire if they can award us with new skill locks. Perhaps in time, older players will receive those well deserved locks. Who's to say that new features for skilling our sims won't be released and we will actually enjoy gaining skills. Would you even bother testing new skilling methods if you already had all the skill locks you needed? I doubt it.

I'm looking forward to starting fresh in a fresh new game because it may just turn out to be better than the one I've been playing the last 4 years.

Be very careful what you ask for too. I've had to live my whole life with a founders icon. While I am proud of that achievement, being branded as a founder has also had its drawbacks. I've had to answer unending questions from newer players about the icon even if I was too busy to stop and talk about it. I've been compelled to live up to my reputation as a founder and be helpful and knowledgeable. I've had to assure people that all founders are not rude snobs due to other founders that had no patience with newer players. Deleting sims and starting over wasn't really an option for me because everyone could see my icon and knew I wasn't a new player and rarely did I receive friendly help when creating a sim in a new city. Some newer players would even shy away from me because my sim was so old making it harder to get to know new people.

Having my age advertised for all to see has disadvantages as well as advantages.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Be very careful what you ask for too. I've had to live my whole life with a founders icon. While I am proud of that achievement, being branded as a founder has also had its drawbacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly ever play my founder or my 'shoulda' been a founder sim.

There are very ugly drawbacks to carrying a founder flag I have found. And there are ugly drawbacks to having 'shoulda' been founders.

(One old founder actually had the nerve to point out to my sim that 'Her sim had EARNED the campfire unlike mine." I never explained the facts to her, figured I'd let her make herself look silly.)

I appreciate greatly the founders that are finished with the rat race and just want to make the community a really awesome place where people want to play. But I also detest the ones that have crowned themselves 'lord over all cause I'm a founder" too.

G

"tagging last"

Exciting news!

They have the servers for TC3! Maybe Wiki page today, also.

****does the happy dance****

G

I was just thinking about the first day we came to stratics from the original EA forums - it all seemed so scary and strange. Maybe one day the Wiki will also seem less scary .......

Polly

I

imported_Gracie Nito

OMG! It took me nearly two weeks to get my login with stratics and that was only because I had friends holding my hand helping me take each baby step.

On the wikisite, I just squinted my eyes and tried to just concentrate on typing some text. That wasn't really too hard once I got past having to do a math problem to get my login!

Not sure if I'll ever be brave enough to wade through all the wiki code stuff that would allow me to do other things. For now I'm trying to avoid looking at it so I don't have any nightmares.

G

It was easy enough to register....and to read what was there, but now that I have an opportunity to lay bare all my ideas, join the creative process, I find myself tongue-tied.

G

*Cough*....You mean after it took me about ten tries to get past the math problem?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I actually love this new wiki site. It reminds me alot of how I have always chosen to run my lot in Dan's Grove. I have always given my roomies build permissions on my lot. Roomies are all aware that any changes they add can be undone or redone by someone else. If a roomie does something horrific there are 7 people waiting in line to repair the damage. I've noticed over the years when something is done right, roomies will contribute to the design and make it even better.

The wikisite is not just a website or message board like we have here. While it does seem to be hard to navigate right now, I have confidence there are talented people amongst us that will help make the wikie site even better. You don't have to apply to be on a content team, news team, or moderator. Anyone with a login can change the way the site looks. It is a design in progress and everyone seems welcome to contribute.

I

imported_MARCIN2006

I like the wiki site.

But one of my friends noticed on April 6th under the Planning post luc said he does not know when the city will be ready, after 2 weeks before then 10. 10 weeks is up on June 23rd so maybe it will be released we started a Countdown Clock on my site were hoping this will be the date lol maybe it will be maybe not.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I like the wiki site.

But one of my friends noticed on April 6th under the Planning post luc said he does not know when the city will be ready, after 2 weeks before then 10. 10 weeks is up on June 23rd so maybe it will be released we started a Countdown Clock on my site were hoping this will be the date lol maybe it will be maybe not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you hold him to a guess he made over 2 months ago, maybe you should read this entry about some of the troubles and worries they are having.

G

Wow!! I am impressed! I have not spent much time on Luc's blog and I'm shocked at all the info that is up already. I'm so excited!!

S

SimoleanMan

re:hulkhogans post located here

<blockquote><hr>

do they not understand Luc is doing this for the players not some Paycheck.. This is a volunteer job people and i for one am Greatful he actually is doing things the subscribers want.. He didn't have to do this.. And you kno what if he didn't the game would actually be on it's death bed..

[/ QUOTE ]

Although many LOVE what Luc is doing and we truly hope that he actually can do ALL that he is promising DON'T you be fooled Hulk, Luc may be doing this for the TSO players, BUT he DARN well certainly IS getting a paycheck for what he is doing. I don't recall him nor any of the others on his new team being mentioned as *volunteers*. If so I surely missed that statement. They in fact are being paid, not that it matters, but they SHOULD be paid for work being done.

Do you think Parizad is traveling across the country, again mind you, and moving back to the other EA location and working for free? I HIGHLY doubt it as beautiful a gesture it may seem.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

re:hulkhogans post located here

<blockquote><hr>

do they not understand Luc is doing this for the players not some Paycheck.. This is a volunteer job people and i for one am Greatful he actually is doing things the subscribers want.. He didn't have to do this.. And you kno what if he didn't the game would actually be on it's death bed..

[/ QUOTE ]

Although many LOVE what Luc is doing and we truly hope that he actually can do ALL that he is promising DON'T you be fooled Hulk, Luc may be doing this for the TSO players, BUT he DARN well certainly IS getting a paycheck for what he is doing. I don't recall him nor any of the others on his new team being mentioned as *volunteers*. If so I surely missed that statement. They in fact are being paid, not that it matters, but they SHOULD be paid for work being done.

Do you think Parizad is traveling across the country, again mind you, and moving back to the other EA location and working for free? I HIGHLY doubt it as beautiful a gesture it may seem.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yep, I think the team is being paid too.

If we had all just sad around grinning from ear to ear happily and not started complaining, Luc may not be doing what he's doing.

G

I think you are giving the gripers way to much credit.

Re read the opening posts in his blog. The presentation on Sony's Home and trying to rescue the game from the whacked economy created by the exploit, is what drew his first efforts.

I think it was after he found such a dedicated, idea rich-population, still enthused about the game, that he stepped up and went for the rebuild. I really don't think pure whinning, did much, if anything to get us to this point.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well, I'm sure the 'squeaky' wheels did help some.

People have been posting great ideas here for years and all of a sudden TPTB just woke up and decided to do something about it?

And people that express opinions that aren't always popular with everyone are most often unfairly labeled as 'complainers'.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well, I'm sure the 'squeaky' wheels did help some.

People have been posting great ideas here for years and all of a sudden TPTB just woke up and decided to do something about it?

And people that express opinions that aren't always popular with everyone are most often unfairly labeled as 'complainers'.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't believe this proves anything, to me it shows that "TPTB" did not start down the tso-e road because of squeaky wheels or any ideas here:<blockquote><hr>

Hmmm, a single post on the forum at stratics and we get 10 new users to the blog in an hour. Nice to see that the forums are still getting traffic. I am excited by what we can do with this game!

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, it wasn't until more than a week after Luc started his blog until he posted here.

Just my opinion.

G

Yep...that quote pretty much indicates that he never read here on Stratics, for either the "great ideas" or the gripes.

And as near as I can tell, he still hasn't read anything in the Design Den. So if anyone has one of their pet ideas there, they had better get it posted in the Wiki if they want it to be read.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well, just because some posters are expressing great concern or displeasure at the apparent updates for so long, doesn't mean it's just 'pure griping'.

We'll see how well the new city does and how things are handled.

For example, There are some that complain that they want locks and days in the new city, there are some that argue against it. Seems to me the ones that argue the 'unpopular point' they are labeled.

I really like Wiki and I hope everyone takes time to go over and take a look. If you have ideas of how to make something better, then post it and not worry about getting labeled. You may just have a good idea to take care of a pesky problem.

G

<blockquote><hr>

For example, There are some that complain that they want locks and days in the new city, there are some that argue against it. Seems to me the ones that argue the 'unpopular point' they are labeled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious what the label is and who is doing the labeling?

S

SimoleanMan

Locks i would like to keep, but still you risk being wiped, as much as you hate skilling you can always reskill begrudgingly and once done its done. The money situation *should* not be a problem, but if sims with full skills move in immediately then they can earn more money faster and thus start the economy problem faster.

I would NEVER move a current sim to the new city.

That is a CRAZY idea especially when it is a test city and those sims have a very good chance of being deleted so your age, locks, skills that you wanted to take are now gone and you are in the same boat as if you just created a new sim from scratch anyway. Anyone who remembers the beta surely remembers sims being wiped. This possibility could very well be realized in this new test environment or even new city and man oh man I don't even want to think about the screaming that the players will do when their beloved sim of 4.5 years gets wiped out to nothing and they have to start over again.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Ok, let's get real.

It takes maybe 1 dedicated weekend to maxx a skill that can be locked in.

So technically speaking botters can be up and running within a week of the new city opening.

It's those of us that honestly enjoy developing our sims that are really punished by not being able to keep our age and locks.

I would love to see EA and Luc give players who wish to recreate the option to recreate a newbie sim or a sim based on the age of the account. He could try it out in the new city.

I really don't see how there can be an 'accurate' test of the new city without having a diverse population of sims both young and old.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

As a test center, did it occur to anyone that they may need to test exactly how long it takes players to go from 10k to 100k or from 0 skill points to 20 skill points? Perhaps they need to test new data collection code in the game for tracking purposes. It's their test. If they say we must create a new sim then that's what we do. Maybe they know TC3 will need to be wiped out for more tests. Once testing is done, I'm pretty sure TC3 will cease to exist.

Luc specifically said that he would not reccommend sacrificing one of your older sims to go to TC3.

As for the New city coming after TC3, they are still collecting information and deciding how to populate this city. Perhaps they are conisdering some kind of move feature for this city with more limited aspects. However, since we have even yet to test the new envirnoment of TC3, it's a little early to worry about this.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Oh, I've already earmarked who is getting the boot if we need to delete a sim to play and it isn't one of my older sims. I've already moved him to BF where I've got nothing to lose.

However, I hope there comes a time when they open the city for 'real' play and not 'test' that they consider either allowing us to bring a naked older sim without inventory or they will allow us to choose to create a sim and have an option to have it either a newbie or have it with age/locks based on our account age.

Now I think it would be rather nice to be able to recreate based on age of account and I think there are many out there that may feel the way I do.

How many of us have young people in our household that created an ugly bug sim and now that we the parents have the account we hate that 1100 day old bug but won't recreate him because he's got too much age?

Or what if we see everyone has the same sim we have and want something different. I would LOVE to recreate my 1400 day old 'stepford' wife, but 1400 days is not worth losing to look different from everyone else.

G

That is a CRAZY idea especially when it is a test city and those sims have a very good chance of being deleted

How many times was Test Center wiped after TSO left Beta?

G

botters can be up and running within a week of the new city opening

Only if Luc makes the mistake of keeping skilling to the failed TSO method. If skilling involves interaction between Sims, it will take time to develop bots. Hopefully more time than programmers wish to spend developing bots.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

It's rather funny...even at the wiki site...there are people from Stratics that will not allow you to have an opinion or an idea without being out and out rude with their comments and expressing absolutely nothing helpful in their comments whatsoever but just to bash the person creating the idea.

G

Three months ago Luc popped in here to tell us about his blog and ask us to join him in his discussions about a new city.

Today he posted the first pic of the new test centre

How incredibly cool is that ??

Polly

I

imported_Gracie Nito

ARgh. Charvatia is the city I picked off the world map to be the New City because Luc said it would have lots of islands. Ya think they will use the same map for TC3 and the New city?

G

Good question Gracie. Who knows? All I know is that its very pretty and I can't wait to get in and explore it

Polly

I

imported_Takeru Ijitsu

<blockquote><hr>

ARgh. Charvatia is the city I picked off the world map to be the New City because Luc said it would have lots of islands. Ya think they will use the same map for TC3 and the New city?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so, I was terrified that it would be nothing but tiny islands...

I really like this Map... But, then again I really am fond of my TC map, oh well ^.^ this map I will justify as TC 200,000 years in the future =)

G

Interesting....is it possible to use the same landscape for 2 different cities? Inquiring minds want to know.....

I

imported_DutchAmerica

WOOT!! I have my sim all ready, just the clothes on her back so I hope that Luc has got a good job waiting for her. LMAO

I

imported_Gracie Nito

If they don't use the same map for the "New City". My next guess would be Ocean's Edge because it borders Alphaville and I expect many of those big city folk will head to the beach for a vacation.

Sorry folks, TC3 hasn't opened yet, because I don't leave town until tomorrow. I'm sure once I'm gone you will have a grand ole time.

My Fault!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok, let's get real.

It takes maybe 1 dedicated weekend to maxx a skill that can be locked in.

So technically speaking botters can be up and running within a week of the new city opening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I read that somehow the coding for the new city will be different so that the current botting programs will not work. I'm not gonna pretend to be tech-savvy enough to figure out what exactly that means, but I do know that every bot-thwarting effort up to this point has not only hurt the innocent players more than the botters, the bot-makers have found the loophole within weeks and updated their programs to get around it (OWP anybody?). So if all that's true then it'll take longer than a week for the botters to get back up and running, but if I was a betting woman I'd say anywhere from 3-6 months. The biggest bot makers are probably gone from the game right now, but most of them weren't run off by EA so it wouldn't surprise to me to see the smell of money lure them back in.

K

krazykara

I know Luc said not to delete a sim for TC3, but I did it anyway. I found one that I didn't mind losing. So I now have a spot ready for when TC3 opens.
I am patiently waiting for the doors to open up for TC3.

G

Ooh it reminds me, I need to go register a new account

This will be my testing account. All my other sims are too old and i'm too sentimental to delete

K

Keep It Real

Great idea, I better do the same thing, I couldn't handle "pulling the plug" on one of my personalites either. AND, I don't think my Dr would advise it either. ( we've come so far)

Keep It Real

K

Kayle

I'm working on getting a trial account and have already re-downloaded the TSO client. Hope I'll be ready in time for the TC3 launch

Status
Not open for further replies.