• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Disallowed Citizen Titles

Pcuvush

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Last saturday we had an event to encourage citizens to apply for a city title in Moonglow. When the event came to an end we went to the city stone to grant the title to the winner of the contest. To my great annoyance the title 'First Ranger' was not available when I tried to grant it.

The bad word was "Ranger".

Why would such a title be inappropriate? Why do titles have to be restricted at all? It is impossible to think of all offensive or rule violating words anyways, so why limit them in the first place? If kids want to be bad they find ways with or without a blacklist for words.

From this I learned that I have to prepare even more thoroughly. If I want to create an event around a title the first thing should be to test the title on a dummy. Not only did it take days of planning to create the event, but the black dragon scale armor I crafted and imbued is now engraved with the unavailable title. I won't sacrifice six more armor engraver charges to change that engraving, of course.
We finally settled with the title of "First Rangeress of Moonglow". I am not a native english speaker, but I doubt that the femalization of the word is very common or sounds natural.

I would like to see more freedom in such choices as granting a title. An EM can investigate if a truly offensive or inappropriate title is given and reported.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've run into similar issues on GL. There are a lot of titles that are disallowed for no obvious reason. As long as the title isn't overtly obscene it should be fine.

Titles like "lieutenant governor," "merchant" (which is also disallowed as a guild title) should be acceptable.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Last saturday we had an event to encourage citizens to apply for a city title in Moonglow. When the event came to an end we went to the city stone to grant the title to the winner of the contest. To my great annoyance the title 'First Ranger' was not available when I tried to grant it.

The bad word was "Ranger".

Why would such a title be inappropriate? Why do titles have to be restricted at all? It is impossible to think of all offensive or rule violating words anyways, so why limit them in the first place? If kids want to be bad they find ways with or without a blacklist for words.

From this I learned that I have to prepare even more thoroughly. If I want to create an event around a title the first thing should be to test the title on a dummy. Not only did it take days of planning to create the event, but the black dragon scale armor I crafted and imbued is now engraved with the unavailable title. I won't sacrifice six more armor engraver charges to change that engraving, of course.
We finally settled with the title of "First Rangeress of Moonglow". I am not a native english speaker, but I doubt that the femalization of the word is very common or sounds natural.

I would like to see more freedom in such choices as granting a title. An EM can investigate if a truly offensive or inappropriate title is given and reported.
Yeah, the list is weird. I used to have a list of several of the disallowed titles but I can't find it. I know "master" is on it. "Tamer" is not, so it's not all professions.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ironically the word "title" was also disallowed last time I tried it lol.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to the utterly bizarre world of EA written automatic filters.

The list of 'words' that might cause offence picks up on anything using a sequence of letters - so guess which part of 'title' makes in unuseable? Same for such hideously offensive names as grass.

Supposedly we can't use any title an NPC might have because 'some evil person might use the disguise of an NPC to trick stupid people'. I should check if it is still the case, but I know one of the regulars in our chicken league had a pet they wanted called Featherstorm, but the filters outright stopped them using the letters 'ea' together in that order, so it became Faetherstorm - and EA idiocy and paranoia became even more contemptible.

Automation is a lazy, ineffective and often stupid way to 'avoid' doing something effectively, and so easily circumvented it's almost pointless..... but it is cheap and makes it look like something is being done to stop 'problems', even if actually (because of puns, foreign words and a ton of other things they can't 'automate' checks for) it barely works worth a damn....

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Baja my alt char Weedis Goodis (was into wacky tobacaccy at the time) has a guild title of "King Kola"

When I remade all my chars on ATL .. Same names and titles.. It would not allow this title no more.

Seems as if the list has had things changed over the years. But my old title still remains. Grand fathered in i guess.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
On Baja my alt char Weedis Goodis (was into wacky tobacaccy at the time) has a guild title of "King Kola"

When I remade all my chars on ATL .. Same names and titles.. It would not allow this title no more.

Seems as if the list has had things changed over the years. But my old title still remains. Grand fathered in i guess.
Indeed it has. I couldn't name a character Emma the other day! I assume this is to prevent people from impersonating EMs... but seriously. Emma.

Matthias O'Hare

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ranger should be allowed. My character has played one for years upon years, but nope, I can't be given that title by the guild.

THAT IS SO STUPID

For the longest time, you couldn't put the word Compassion in anything thanks to their stupid filter.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
17 years into the game, if someone is tricked by someone with a BLUE (or less likely, RED) name due to a profession title being in it...they kinda deserve it. (and no, the new player argument just simply doesn't fly)

Emma being disallowed is idiotic.

John Smith is also disallowed...

T

Tazar

I am not positive - but the title "Ranger" may be disallowed due to the special titles from the Abyss House Contest: Ranger of the Abyss and Warder of the Abyss. It might be considered unfair to these contest winners if the title could be given to others.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He's talking about having "the Ranger" at the end of names. Saying that could lessen the full "Ranger/Warden of the Abyss" title is just silly.

York_Siege

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If i am remembering correctly the title "ranger" is granted for the skill of camping, or maybe it's tracking... The title for "merchant" is the skill of item identification. As for Emma and the other mentioned.. i'm not sure.

T

Tazar

He's talking about having "the Ranger" at the end of names. Saying that could lessen the full "Ranger/Warden of the Abyss" title is just silly.
I never did test the number of characters allowed on a Governor granted title - but if it is the same as a guild title - then someone could certainly grant the title "Ranger of the Abyss". Blocking the word Ranger would prevent that. York also has a good point - if it is the title for a skill - it could be blocked as well.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All city titles have "of Cityname" appended to the end, making them all rather obvious where they came from. Profession titles are blocked, but the reasoning for blocking them is flawed.

Like I said earlier, if someone is foolish enough to get "tricked" by these titles at this point they deserve it.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I never did test the number of characters allowed on a Governor granted title - but if it is the same as a guild title - then someone could certainly grant the title "Ranger of the Abyss". Blocking the word Ranger would prevent that. York also has a good point - if it is the title for a skill - it could be blocked as well.
I just looked. It's 20 characters.

Even if a governor did give out "Ranger of the Abyss", it would end up being "Ranger of the Abyss of Vesper" or whatever town it was.

It's not ALL skill titles. I did some testing and found...

Allowed:

Biologist
Detective
Tamer
Cartographer
Tactician
Naturalist

Elder
Legendary

Lady
Lord
Emissary
Em
Empress
Emperor
God
Goddess
Pirate
Monster
Murderer
Scoundrel
Assistant
Stablemaster

Disallowed:

Tailor
Blacksmith
Archer
Tinker
Warrior
Merchant
Ranger
Fisherman

Master
Grandmaster
Neophyte
Apprentice
Novice

Queen
King
Princess
Prince
Baron
Baroness
Duchess
Duke

Banker
Gm
Counselor
Seer
Mesanna (lol!)

I got bored at this point but there you go, there's a good start for a list.