• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Developer Meet And Greet~ Baja June 26th 2017

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The variations in the different body types result in different highlights and lowlights expressing the hue (hues in UO exist with a variety of colors in a single hue) in the different ways as we see in your screenshot. It's all randomly generated. I also was incorrect in my previous statement, upon further investigation it's actually 54! different hues that are possible, however the variations between some are so slight they essentially look the same. Apologies for the confusion!
TY for the reply!!!!
The reason I asked was cause I knew there were quite a few
knew when you said 2, that it was body type
so 54, that is so amazing, makes each unique

TY for all your hard work

Fire Warrior

Adventurer
I just want to point out...it shouldn't be the players responsibility to learn about all the cheats before complaining about them. The players are just customers, it's up to the developers whose actual job it is to fix stuff, to learn about and prevent the cheats. A player should not have to teach a developer how something works, they should already know since it's their business.

It's like saying "oh it's so unreasonable those people are mad a burglar breaks into their house every night, they should learn all the intricacies and details of home invasion strategy before complaining to the police about it, even though it's the job of police to prevent it from happening to begin with".

Try reading the post instead of stopping at a point you didn't like and start responding. You people always do this. My comment on naivite' and attitude STANDS. Especially after those sanctimonious responses.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Try reading the post instead of stopping at a point you didn't like and start responding. You people always do this. My comment on naivite' and attitude STANDS. Especially after those sanctimonious responses.
I did read the rest of your post, nothing else you wrote changes the part I quoted. You just used the old blame-shifting technique of "its not the cheaters fault, if there weren't problems in the programming they wouldn't cheat".

Yes, UO clearly has design issues, but that does not and should not excuse the behavior of the cheaters who take advantage of it. They shouldn't just ignore the rulebreakers and fix the design issues, because those same people will always find new bugs to exploit.

If they do it with one bug, they will always cheat other ways too. Therefore removal of the cheaters is necessary regardless of whether or not the game design issues are also fixed.

Fire Warrior

Adventurer
I did read the rest of your post, nothing else you wrote changes the part I quoted. You just used the old blame-shifting technique of "its not the cheaters fault, if there weren't problems in the programming they wouldn't cheat".

Yes, UO clearly has design issues, but that does not and should not excuse the behavior of the cheaters who take advantage of it. They shouldn't just ignore the rulebreakers and fix the design issues, because those same people will always find new bugs to exploit.

If they do it with one bug, they will always cheat other ways too. Therefore removal of the cheaters is necessary regardless of whether or not the game design issues are also fixed.

You missed my point is my point. You CANNOT STOP THEM FROM CHEATING. Neither can the devs. It DOES NOT MATTER that you DONT LIKE IT. This is my point. I agree with you in terms of ideals, I am talking pragmatics. Its not 'blame shifting', its REALITY. If you use idealism to DISCONNECT from reality -implying that they can really stop it like YOU think they can - you only end up unhappy and WRONG. I've watched people like you for years want and want and want, and never be satisfied - why? Because your premise in terms of the facts 'on the ground' was ALWAYS WRONG from the getgo! A little humility on ideals makes them possible, but bluster and bemusement won't achieve your goals.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Some people will always find ways to cheat, no matter what, especially if real money is involved, but I really don't think Captain Norrington is the bad guy here! Attacking the Mods isn't really the way to make your point, just saying...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets be honest though, if we can find the bugs and exploits so easily, (some new ones are not even new) so can the Devs.
Just because they don't actually test their patches, don't mean we should rush to report the bugs for them.
Especially as they don't even get fixed for sometimes months (years) later.
They get paid to do their jobs, we do not.
Where is our incentive to do their job for them?, we used to get "stuff" for reporting exploits but no longer.
If they cannot be bothered to check their work, why should we?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lets be honest though, if we can find the bugs and exploits so easily, (some new ones are not even new) so can the Devs.
Just because they don't actually test their patches, don't mean we should rush to report the bugs for them.
Especially as they don't even get fixed for sometimes months (years) later.
They get paid to do their jobs, we do not.
Where is our incentive to do their job for them?, we used to get "stuff" for reporting exploits but no longer.
If they cannot be bothered to check their work, why should we?
I pay to play. If they want a tester, they need to be paying me.

They need a QA and testing dept....always have always will. Quite a while back I knew an ex staffer from UO's QA dept. Quit, said it was frustrating as hell to get handed something just days before it was to publish and being told to find the bugs...and then the ones they reported got published anyway and never fixed.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You missed my point is my point. You CANNOT STOP THEM FROM CHEATING. Neither can the devs. It DOES NOT MATTER that you DONT LIKE IT. This is my point. I agree with you in terms of ideals, I am talking pragmatics. Its not 'blame shifting', its REALITY. If you use idealism to DISCONNECT from reality -implying that they can really stop it like YOU think they can - you only end up unhappy and WRONG. I've watched people like you for years want and want and want, and never be satisfied - why? Because your premise in terms of the facts 'on the ground' was ALWAYS WRONG from the getgo! A little humility on ideals makes them possible, but bluster and bemusement won't achieve your goals.
The level of truth in this post is staggering. I've been saying for years that it's all about the game design, though most here it seems would rather pull on the Chinese finger trap for all of eternity with the ham-fisted "ban the cheaters!!1!" method as if any approach that does not involve some kind of punishment for the "evil-doers" implicitly endorses their actions/existence. Oh, you think that cheating is an inevitable fact of life? You must think cheating is morally justified then!

No one discussing this subject here actually wants cheating in the game, but wagging one's finger at cheaters, shaming cheaters, banning cheaters.. none of these things actually stop cheating. If there is a way to get ahead in the game that goes against the rules, someone will always be there to take up that position. If you ban that person, someone else will take their place, always and forever. If a cheater is banned and no one takes his place that means you don't have any more players left in your game. The answer therefore is to correct the game's design so that a particular method of cheating is less lucrative, less viable, or has less impact on the grand scheme. Anything else is the equivalent of banging your head on the wall and wondering why your head hurts so much.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No one (at least no one realistic) expects cheating to be stopped completely. That will never happen.

What I expect though is for the people running the game to be clear and reasonable about what cheating is, enforce their own TOS when violation is obvious, and when adding or changing game mechanics to make sure they do not incentivize or favor cheating. The complete opposite of all of these is what is consistently happening.

We can't even get a list of acceptable third party programs anymore. The producer steadfastly refuses to even show an understanding of what multi-boxing complaints are about, and blames developers from years and years ago for "opening the door". RMT sellers get game staff positions. IDOC changes consistently favor scripting. The list goes on and on.

No, they will never stop cheating... but they aren't even bothering to verbally condemn it anymore. It's not that they aren't doing the impossible by ending all cheating--it's that everything we see indicates either a complete lack of interest/understanding in the topic or a tacit endorsement. Anything goes. I don't expect to see a global crack down and mass bans. I expect to see the people who get up in Mesanna's face in meet and greets and tell her they are using cheat programs to at least be TOLD not to do it. I expect to be able to participate in the game's only official live content and actually be able to follow what's going on. I expect not to keep watching people being rewarded for bad behavior. I expect the game to be set up to incentivize and reward honest play, not stimulate RMT sales. I don't think these are unrealistic expectations, but I expect I'm going to continue being disappointed.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The level of truth in this post is staggering. I've been saying for years that it's all about the game design, though most here it seems would rather pull on the Chinese finger trap for all of eternity with the ham-fisted "ban the cheaters!!1!" method as if any approach that does not involve some kind of punishment for the "evil-doers" implicitly endorses their actions/existence. Oh, you think that cheating is an inevitable fact of life? You must think cheating is morally justified then!

No one discussing this subject here actually wants cheating in the game, but wagging one's finger at cheaters, shaming cheaters, banning cheaters.. none of these things actually stop cheating. If there is a way to get ahead in the game that goes against the rules, someone will always be there to take up that position. If you ban that person, someone else will take their place, always and forever. If a cheater is banned and no one takes his place that means you don't have any more players left in your game. The answer therefore is to correct the game's design so that a particular method of cheating is less lucrative, less viable, or has less impact on the grand scheme. Anything else is the equivalent of banging your head on the wall and wondering why your head hurts so much.
Of course they won't stop cheating, but bans and/or suspensions can help minimize the impact on the game until bug/exploit fixes can be rolled out. Yes it has to be fixed in the code, but allowing it to run rampant until you get around to fixing it is like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I pay to play. If they want a tester, they need to be paying me.

They need a QA and testing dept....always have always will. Quite a while back I knew an ex staffer from UO's QA dept. Quit, said it was frustrating as hell to get handed something just days before it was to publish and being told to find the bugs...and then the ones they reported got published anyway and never fixed.
Supposedly this is what Misk does... supposedly.

Fire Warrior

Adventurer
Supposedly this is what Misk does... supposedly.

This goes back to some dirty secrets of the industry;

They want to use people as beta testers but not pay them. But they do not want to directly admit they are doing that for legal reasons - of course.

This would be fine except that I don't think they put that in the TOS. They should just say 'you will allow us to use you as a permanent beta test of the product and you give up all legal right
to redress on anything that comes from the beta testing that does not damage your equipment etc'. At least then they could talk about it. One of the worst things in the software business IMO is 'unnecessary secrecy'. Its a corporate philosophy also shared by some developers. They are paranoid about leaks or anyone knowing anything. This is a mistake that handicaps many games, including this one. Now some might say 'but people would complain!'. Perhaps this is right, however I'd rather they get used to complaints and then just make their own decision - with honest testing. The old 'corporate QA' is a bad joke and has been around forever. To corporate execs, QA doesn't make any money so it isn't important. Thus, having these types of people run companies and make decisions = disasters of all kinds for the player and even the developers at times.