• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Developer Meet And Greet Arirang ~ June 19th 2017

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Larisa submitted a new Article:

Developer Meet And Greet Arirang ~ June 19th 2017

Mesanna: Welcome, shall we begin?

Tionne: Morning, my only question is for you M'lady, when will we get the Sea Dragon Stable Master back on Sonoma? It is still missing from when the Animal Taming quest went live. The tower is in need of it. His name was Varssurvious and he swam just outside the gate area. And could you PLEASE turn the town criers off across Sonoma, we are so tired of hearing them reminding us that EM Chim is no longer with the program. Thank you.

Mesanna: Greetings Sindala

Sindala: Greetings, I have only one question today for you all. Will you restore the artwork of the Phoenix to the original? The new artwork has...
Read more about this article here...

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
interesting. States they are making their own forum

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
She said that many many MANY months ago....almost verbatim...still waiting ;) Hopeful, of course......all games should have an official forum, especially one as old as UO!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, she has also in the past said they were fixing the acct management site, and they were fixing bugs, as well as boards, blah blah blah.

It was nice tho, to hear that they won't be changing the Phoenix art back, I mean, Just because the majority want it changed back shouldnt count for anything...

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Mesanna: They are shard limited, it's just random."
Does this mean there a cap how many rare blaze Cus will spawn on a given shard, hmm? So this also apply with Slithers or other rare desirable artifacts, is there a finite number on how many will spawn in a lifetime of the server?

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tm.Handlake: He killed like 20k Cu Shides but couldn't see gold one at all, and he heard that the number of rare colored creatures are shard limited, is this true or is it just by chance?

Mesanna: They are shard limited, it's just random.
.Typical Mesanna answer....she should have been a politician with her ability to answer without giving an answer.......

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna: We have no plans at this time to add to the GM's but I do agree to you being supported. Hopefully in the future we can increase the numbers on the shards to justify adding a Korean GM.

There you go folks, you heard it straight from the horses mouth.....UO to get Flying pigs.....:hahaha:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
"Mesanna: They are shard limited, it's just random."
Does mean there a cap how many rare blaze Cus will spawn on a given shard, hmm? So this also apply with Slithers or other rare desirable artifacts, is there a finite number on how many will spawn in a lifetime of the server?
I am really hoping that was just a misspoken statement... because if that crap is true I have been hunting the Blaze Cu for the last three years for absolutely no damn reason at all, Atlantic had to hit their "shard limit" a long time ago... and they should have made that crap known in bold letters somewhere initially.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More interesting is the fact not a single person complained about the obviously overpowered pets.....

Sorry just had to :)

Btw is it me or was that a really really short M&G?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah a short read. But would imagine it was a good bit longer than that in real time. Person A asks question.. translator then asks Devs.. Devs respond.. translator relays answer back to person A.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Few things:

It seems to be almost universally agreed upon that newly added artwork is a stain on UO and is awful. When I read this "We have good artist that are able to correct those issues, you are entitled to your opinion sir." - it just blows my mind. Wow - Its like everyone's opinion and for those who wont express it are just being nice.

Is it me or does this just rub everyone the wrong way: "I have already answered this question but yes we are .... " ?????????? Why the attitude?

Why is development time being put into a tool to be used for a castle building competition? Is this a good use of limited resources? This to me just sounds like just another example of effort being put into some content/addition that just never gets used beyond the initial week of release.

And do we really need an official Forum? I can't really imagine many would use it over Stratics but I could be wrong on that.

I hate to rag out but this to me was another M&G where I read it and walk away with no faith in the developers.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My image of them gets worse every month... but I try to be positive...

I am liking the taming update... I really do. I'm actually IN-Game WAY more... But... I still can't do most content without dual clienting... or hoping someone will get on and want to do something... otherwise it's just me working up pets... which soon I'll grow bored of that.

Now sure some can do all this stuff solo and blah blah but I can't.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More interesting is the fact not a single person complained about the obviously overpowered pets.....

Sorry just had to :)

They gave really short notice for this one, and the UO.com website was mysteriously down over the weekend too, so like their were only about 5 locals turn up.
The rest were us tourists that were there an hour early :D

@Mesanna , I'd like to point out that if it wasn't for the "unsupported" forums of Stratics, nobody would have known about the M&G........just the way you like it.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Mesanna: Oh, we have to build a tool for you guys to build a new design castle on TC! The drawings we got were just way too hard to figure out. I will let you guys know when the tool is available on TC!"

You just gotta love our dear producer. Always thinking things through :lol::popcorn:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Few things:

It seems to be almost universally agreed upon that newly added artwork is a stain on UO and is awful. When I read this "We have good artist that are able to correct those issues, you are entitled to your opinion sir." - it just blows my mind. Wow - Its like everyone's opinion and for those who wont express it are just being nice.

Is it me or does this just rub everyone the wrong way: "I have already answered this question but yes we are .... " ?????????? Why the attitude?

Why is development time being put into a tool to be used for a castle building competition? Is this a good use of limited resources? This to me just sounds like just another example of effort being put into some content/addition that just never gets used beyond the initial week of release.

And do we really need an official Forum? I can't really imagine many would use it over Stratics but I could be wrong on that.

I hate to rag out but this to me was another M&G where I read it and walk away with no faith in the developers.
Mesanna lives in her own bubble. The new forums will be her place to make sure its only cheerleaders around her. Maybe it will help to find more time to dye precious masks for them. Priorities with Mesanna have been at least questionable for a long time..

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Mesanna: Oh, we have to build a tool for you guys to build a new design castle on TC! The drawings we got were just way too hard to figure out. I will let you guys know when the tool is available on TC!"

You just gotta love our dear producer. Always thinking things through :lol::popcorn:
Yeah, if they haven't even built the tool yet?? the odds on getting the competition winning castle done and in-game by the Anniversary is less than zero....
.....unless it's just a big scam and they already have it done and the "winner" is one of Mesannas "special club". This is all just smoke and mirrors to make us think we still have any input....

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought they originally said they wanted 3 castle designs? Or did I just imagine that...
Also that reply about the castle design tool was really disappointing, I thought we would have the new tool on test soon but the reply sounded like she forgot and they haven't even started working on it yet.
We only have a couple of months until September now! :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually I designed and sent in 3 castle designs... And they were as crystal clear as one could get...

New Castle Concept.png

Don't know how much "clearer" that could be... my guess though is that I'm a better builder than they are...

Which I'm actually glad they are building a tool to use... that way perhaps they will be able to FAR more easily incorporate the designs and turn them into a usable one easily put into play...

I will give them this... I suggested that they do just that... build a tool so we can design it for them..... FAR easier... I actually greatly enjoy deco and design... so I'm more than willing to build anything they like... I'd build my own bridge in Yew if they would let me.

But they'd have to let me.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which I'm actually glad they are building a tool to use... that way perhaps they will be able to FAR more easily incorporate the designs and turn them into a usable one easily put into play...
Getting hopes high, huh?

I rather guess it will be the usual half-done thing. Lots of missing tiles, a gump covering 3 quarters of the screen and a couple of cheerleaders telling them it's the best thing since windows 95.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They still need to address how the new Castles will work over trees and such which we fit out castles forecourts around.
Most castles wont be able to be placed using the flat square box due to rocks, plants, uneven ground or trees blocking placement.
Each server is slightly different so unless they drastically change how the house placement rules work.....
I really don't think they have thought about how much work is actually involved in this........

...oh look?!?.....i'm not even surprised....
:facepalm:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They still need to address how the new Castles will work over trees and such which we fit out castles forecourts around.
Most castles wont be able to be placed using the flat square box due to rocks, plants, uneven ground or trees blocking placement.
Each server is slightly different so unless they drastically change how the house placement rules work.....
I really don't think they have thought about how much work is actually involved in this........

...oh look?!?.....i'm not even surprised....
:facepalm:
And somehow I tend to believe that is also what happened to the new account management: A bold but not much thought out announcement. Followed by a lot of technical details that nobody thought of before and finally one issue that turned out to be a complete show-stopper.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I designed and sent in 3 castle designs... And they were as crystal clear as one could get...

View attachment 68237

Don't know how much "clearer" that could be... my guess though is that I'm a better builder than they are...

I will give them this... I suggested that they do just that... build a tool so we can design it for them..... FAR easier... I actually greatly enjoy deco and design... so I'm more than willing to build anything they like... I'd build my own bridge in Yew if they would let me.

But they'd have to let me.
My OCD could never deal with that castle i'm afraid.
The main door is 'off center' and would drive me crazy o.0

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I am really hoping that was just a misspoken statement... because if that crap is true I have been hunting the Blaze Cu for the last three years for absolutely no damn reason at all, Atlantic had to hit their "shard limit" a long time ago... and they should have made that crap known in bold letters somewhere initially.
I'm thinking she meant to say "Mesanna: They are *not* shard limited, it's just random.""

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My OCD could never deal with that castle i'm afraid.
The main door is 'off center' and would drive me crazy o.0
The Main door is in the exact same possition it is in in a current castle. One tile off because so is the whole building...

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The Main door is in the exact same possition it is in in a current castle. One tile off because so is the whole building...
This is correct..which I had no idea until I started trying to design a new floor plan...I had to measure it like 6 times I thought I was crazy!

So here's something for your OCD ;) They have ALWAYS been off!

offset.jpg

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is correct..which I had no idea until I started trying to design a new floor plan...I had to measure it like 6 times I thought I was crazy!

View attachment 68265
I know right but what you are showing is basically what I did there... Move the Inner Bailey back... and I didn't remove that wall there but on the inside I did put a door in on either side where the previous murder holes were...

First Floor Back.png First Floor Middle.png

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my guildmate got a blazed Cu last week on atlantic. They are out there.
Yeah.....I tamed Navery too.... o_O
:postpics:

I would like to know what the limit is though and if "imported" blaze Cu's add to that limit? Or what happens if they are removed from their home shard??

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah.....I tamed Navery too.... o_O
:postpics:

I would like to know what the limit is though and if "imported" blaze Cu's add to that limit? Or what happens if they are removed from their home shard??
What she said about there being limits on the spawn of them completely defies how that system was originally made. If I remember right the blaze cu spawn rate is 1 in 32,000 and it spawns on a random shard. So even if you kill 32,000 on Atlantic, the blaze might spawn on Yamato.

If there were actually spawn limits they would have to appear on the same shard, not any shard. With shard transfers and people moving their blazes across all the shards there is no way for the game to enforce that limit.

What if Yamato aready has all 50/50 of their blazes and has hit their limit, if I try transferring one from Atlantic to the Yamato rares festival it will just delete itself? It makes no sense, it would have to go over the limit, which means the limit isn't real.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I seriously doubt that colored Cus are tracked in any fashion. UO isn't known for its robust metrics collection.

Typically, when a tameable mob spawns and IS tamed, once it is taken off the subserver a new one spawns in its place. The chance for a rare hue is likely based solely off the terribly flawed RNG, not "how many blaze Cus are extant on X server". (That would be a level of foresight, planning and skill that is completely lacking in ALL UO CODE.)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What she said about there being limits on the spawn of them completely defies how that system was originally made. If I remember right the blaze cu spawn rate is 1 in 32,000 and it spawns on a random shard. So even if you kill 32,000 on Atlantic, the blaze might spawn on Yamato.

If there were actually spawn limits they would have to appear on the same shard, not any shard. With shard transfers and people moving their blazes across all the shards there is no way for the game to enforce that limit.

What if Yamato aready has all 50/50 of their blazes and has hit their limit, if I try transferring one from Atlantic to the Yamato rares festival it will just delete itself? It makes no sense, it would have to go over the limit, which means the limit isn't real.
This would imply that there is some governing program monitoring all the shards and enforcing arbitrarily coded limits on things. I highly doubt that is the case. It defies the shoddy way UO has been run since... well... forever.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

View attachment 68265
I never noticed that before.......:sad3::pie:
and now I cannot un-see it...o.0o_Oo.0
anyone want a castle? :hahaha::rolleyes:

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I never noticed that before.......:sad3::pie:
and now I cannot un-see it...o.0o_Oo.0
anyone want a castle? :hahaha::rolleyes:
I know right!

I measured it 15 times at least... and was rather annoyed that it is off center...

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought they originally said they wanted 3 castle designs? Or did I just imagine that...
Also that reply about the castle design tool was really disappointing, I thought we would have the new tool on test soon but the reply sounded like she forgot and they haven't even started working on it yet.
We only have a couple of months until September now! :(
you weren't imagining things :)

Looking for New Castle Designs

Posted on February 24, 2017 by Mesanna
Good Afternoon Everyone,
Let me see if I can’t clear up some confusion. Please remember we have not finalized any plans as of this date but here is what we are thinking.
  1. Castle would have the same footprint
  2. The design would still be considered a prefab house
  3. You would be able to access the design via the tool for original placement or via the house sign for a change in design. We are still working out what happens to items inside the house so stay tuned for upcoming announcements.
  4. When you submit a design idea be very specific as to what you want.
  5. When the final 3 designs are picked we will name them after the designers in game.
I hope this clears up some of the confusion and please remember, these are subject to change the closer we get to actually putting the concept in game.
Thanks everyone and we look forward to seeing your ideas.

Greetings all,
I know we have all talked about this before but I think putting in new castle designs for our 20th year would be something great to do. So we the team would like to have any designs from you guys. Looking for 3 stand outs to use. If you have any ideas or just like to design houses send them to me at [email protected].
Thanks in advance!

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, I gotta ask, I can't take it anymore.

IF, they cannot make a castle customizable as they are, and there are currently no other castle sized prefabs available for the tool, then exactly what the hell is this new tool gonna do if not customize a castle sized plot?

So if it can be done on TC, why not skip jumping thru all the hoops and just put that on the tool we have and let us do it on prodo like any other custom plot and move on to other things?

Or adjust storage on a scaling basis where 18x18 has castle storage, and just freeze castle and keep placement. I think most castle and keep owners hyave them for the storage anyway, and not because they enjoy running miles just going from one room to another in their keeps and castles

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, I gotta ask, I can't take it anymore.

IF, they cannot make a castle customizable as they are, and there are currently no other castle sized prefabs available for the tool, then exactly what the hell is this new tool gonna do if not customize a castle sized plot?

So if it can be done on TC, why not skip jumping thru all the hoops and just put that on the tool we have and let us do it on prodo like any other custom plot and move on to other things?

Or adjust storage on a scaling basis where 18x18 has castle storage, and just freeze castle and keep placement. I think most castle and keep owners hyave them for the storage anyway, and not because they enjoy running miles just going from one room to another in their keeps and castles
Shhhhhhh! This is UO, logics aren't allowed here! :twak:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, she has also in the past said they were fixing the acct management site, and they were fixing bugs, as well as boards, blah blah blah.

It was nice tho, to hear that they won't be changing the Phoenix art back, I mean, Just because the majority want it changed back shouldnt count for anything...
My whole problem with that mess is you want to buy something in game. So you go to origin to buy sovereigns. Dealing with the whole Origin mess. Then you go to the UO site and deal with their whole mess to apply a code to your account. Then you go back in game and actually purchase what you want. The whole thing is nonsense. At least let me just go to origin and get a code and then apply it in game, something intuitive please. So many steps to just buy and apply.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My whole problem with that mess is you want to buy something in game. So you go to origin to buy sovereigns. Dealing with the whole Origin mess. Then you go to the UO site and deal with their whole mess to apply a code to your account. Then you go back in game and actually purchase what you want. The whole thing is nonsense. At least let me just go to origin and get a code and then apply it in game, something intuitive please. So many steps to just buy and apply.
Yea I really don't understand the process why you can't just buy from the in game store and it charge the payment source of your account in one step.

If they ever do go full F2P then that needs fixed