• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Customs Issues

• Thread starter monnie101
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

monnie101

I just started selling stuff on Ebay a month ago and I know their are a lot of people here that have sold things on Ebay.

One thing I don't have experience with much, is shipping overseas. I live in the U.S. but my mother sometimes ships things to Portugal once in a while. Recently I sold a game on Ebay to someone in Canada. I asked my mother what she thought the shipping would be and she guessed $19. I put $16 for shipping and handling. It ended up being $15.60 for shipping alone and UPS had a surcharge of $1.60 for gas! That's how expensive gas now is lol. Good thing I recycled a box I had and didn't need to buy one. So another order that sold was a Warhammer CE I had ended up with 2 due to EA changing the head start cancellation to dismiss early. Now this sold for $80 the normal price. So I put $19 for shipping. On the ad I stated, "I prefer to ship to U.S. but will ship to Canada, UK, Europe though their are customs issues to be dealt with" and my luck, 3 other people wanted to buy it but someone from Spain won. I go to the post office and they tell me it will cost me $47 to ship!! I'm like, but that is over half the price it costs! She didn't even ask me if it was a gift or not. She and a customer also told me of a friend's example when she bought a camera and when it got there that the person receiving it also had to pay customs fees! As of now I have 100% good feedback. The difference is $28 and God knows I don't have much money. I was going to use my $30 after for the orientation organization fee at the local cable access program i went to. So I sent the person a message telling them what happened, as nice as I could. I asked them if they would pay half the difference I'd pay the other half from my own money which is $14. No reply yet. I even offered to send the package first.

What do you think? Is that okay? I want the person to be happy and things to be fair. Should I just take a loss? I'm already taking a loss on the game as it cost me $133 on Ebay because it was sold out. I explained that in the ad I was just trying to get some money I lost. Can you guys give me some better insight on what to do about shipping worldwide? My mother told me that her home shopping network she often buys from doesn't even except Europe. Just North America and Canada.

I didn't want to cut off people outside North America. But maybe I should? What happens with customs when they get it on the other end?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
State that they will need to pay any export/import cost and and the cost of shipping will be determined at the time of sale.

You can most certainly feel free to absorb the cost of getting the item to the purchaser.

I wouldn't.

M

monnie101

Thank you for the reply that's a good tip. I'll definitely have to state that if I do them in the future :)

D

Dutchhans

You can also go to the websites of UPS or the post office and get international rates, so you can quote correctly.

Thank you for not posting links to your auctions, but please also try to refrain from posting the items you are selling.

M

monnie101

NP I wasn't looking to try and advertise or anything. I don't really sell games much and I'm not into selling items in them that's for sure. Was really glad when Stratics decided to stop it but that's another subject.

I did go to the UPS website and even joined but it doesn't say the price of shipping items :( Seems like I have to go far enough to actually charge it to my card almost, in order to get the prices or maybe I'm doing something wrong. When I first joined UPS online, it never said if it costs anything to join! They called my cellphone with a survey and I asked them but the person didn't know anything. It says on the FAQ that they charge me monthly but I think that is for my shipping charges? Years ago I joined the US Post Office Online thing so that I could print postage out. I never ended up using it but they charged me monthly! They ended up sending bills to my house and putting it on my credit report because I didn't even know I was being charged due to canceling a credit card! I went to their site recent and tried to find out how much it would be to ship this but they just want me to register first and I don't want to start getting charged again. I'm not currently making enough money to be paying extra charges for Merchant account type stuff and shipping.

I still don't know how the online UPS thing works. :( From what I gathered, I guess I pront out the label, then they come to my house but instead of dropping off the package, they pick it up from me?

Anyway, the person was actually very understanding and said that they are used to this and have gone thru customs problems before! :D I was very glad they were nice and understanding. Just goes to show you never know. They sent me half the shipping like I offered and I even paid $3 extra for insurance for it because I was glad.

I know their are some people on here who have sold things on Ebay before so I figure I could get some tips.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know how your actualy doing the sales, but if your not aware of E-Bays online stores, there is undoubtedly a package that will work for you.

As far as I know, yes the UPS thing is as you said, you use World Ship to enter the shipment(s), at the end of the day you print out their sheet and the UPS person takes the package(s) does some scribbles on the print out and you keep that.

You get billed on a monthly basis.