• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Custom Content Re-Sell Debate...

I

imported_CherryBomb

Good points, Lee. You do have common sense. I checked in on Adam Smith's grave again, tho, and now he is spinning furiously.

CherryBomb

G

<blockquote><hr>

AJ on the other hand has posted here longer than I have and has been on staff and an admin way longer than I have been. He's fully capable of doing it himself if he is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes I can, but I assumed as you were the one claiming it had happened, you would have also recalled approximately when, or what the thread might have been called, rather than searching through thousands and thousands of posts.

You have fun with your news. I'll have an evening of fun trawling through the archives.

G

2 other people claimed it happened as well.

And thank you I will.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

AJ on the other hand has posted here longer than I have and has been on staff and an admin way longer than I have been. He's fully capable of doing it himself if he is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes I can, but I assumed as you were the one claiming it had happened, you would have also recalled approximately when, or what the thread might have been called, rather than searching through thousands and thousands of posts.

You have fun with your news. I'll have an evening of fun trawling through the archives.

[/ QUOTE ] This will at least give you an idea when the debate started. LOL.

If you do not wish to spend time trawling the archives of stratics, I found on the developer's blog at tso-e.com.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

That is your opinion. I feel that when someone prices something that costs them around $10 to make at $900, well that is outrageously priced.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're forgetting the most important component, the value of people's time.

The mistake you are making is looking at prices from a consumer standpoint instead of how you should be looking at them - as a producer. Just because YOU think something is to high or low is utterly and totally irrelevant. What matters is what the people buying it think. They obviously think your cc is worth more than you do or they wouldn't be paying "outrageous" amounts for it.

If you want to be a producer quit thinking like a consumer and start setting a price at which your product sells out at roughly the same rate you wish to produce it at. Quit trying to determine what a "fair" price is and let the market tell you what a fair price for your product is. Setting a price below what the market is telling you is “fair” accomplishes nothing except to allow a reseller to pocket the difference.

Regards

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] This will at least give you an idea when the debate started. LOL.

If you do not wish to spend time trawling the archives of stratics, I found on the developer's blog at tso-e.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thanks Gracie, that does help!

See how easy it is to help when one wants to? I vote Gracie for a staffer position....she's helpful enough for 5 people combined
. Now that there is a reference point, if I do happen to find the specific thread that was posted here for the benefit of those who do not read the blog, I'll link to it. I was looking at the time of TC3s inception, which was June (28?) 2007 IIRC, which is why I didn't find it, rather than around that date.

G

I disagree with you. I see many people who want to purchase things and have to go earn some money to come back and buy it. I think we all need to keep the low payouts in mind here and stop trying to get rich quick in this new economy. The object I have seen priced at $900 took no creativity on the uploaders part and costs them very little to order. They are just screwing their fellow players pricing things that high, and I feel sorry for any one foolish enough to pay it, but then they probably have no idea they can get something similar with better quality much cheaper. I am done arguing this point with you. I will continue to sell for my fellow players, for those who buy on impulse without bothering to check around, oh well, it's their loss.

P

Purdy

Re: did anyone read the new License Agreement? [Re: narasan]
#677282 - 10/21/07 12:43 AM Edit Reply Quote

It's one of the things that really, really annoys me in these 'user agreements', and it's not a problem that just EA has - it's every damn game I ever try.

Why, oh why, must we wade through pages of legalese just to accept something to play a game? Why can these things not be written in plain english?

Also, would it really be so difficult to highlight the things that are new this time so we can at least see what it is we now have to agree to in order to continue playing something we have invested a lot of time - and in some cases cash - in building up previously?

aj

There ya go AJ

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

See how easy it is to help when one wants to? I vote Gracie for a staffer position....she's helpful enough for 5 people combined
. Now that there is a reference point, if I do happen to find the specific thread that was posted here for the benefit of those who do not read the blog, I'll link to it. I was looking at the time of TC3s inception, which was June (28?) 2007 IIRC, which is why I didn't find it, rather than around that date.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way! I would never be on staff because then you would EXPECT me to help!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like people don't already know you'll 'save the day' whenever you are able to.

But yeah, I do believe that it is a staffer's primary function to have a drive even above and beyond what the 'average' player would have to help people whenever/where ever they can, especially when the answers won't take hours and hours to dig up, therefore not requiring anybody to go very far out of their way to do so. From everything I've witnessed recently, it is those who have become jaded and/or cynical whether or 'understandable reasons' or not, that have basically adopted the 'get it yourself' attitude....but I think that's going to directly or indirectly cost us new players in the end, because a new person to the board isn't going to understand previous histories that might or might not exist between players A and B, that make A less likely to help B, or B less likely to help A, they are just going to see somebody asking for information and basically being told off, ya know? That's why I think staffers especially should be required to set aside fundamental personality conflicts and either make effort to find information given, or at the very least just not say anything at all, giving off the impression that they had not read the request yet, but saying "Yes, I can find it.....but I won't" is just rude beyond measure to come out of *any* players mouth, but compounded when that person has a staff badge. If a person had a customer service job IRL and pulled that kind of crap they'd be fired so fast their head would spin, at least in any business I've been in contact with, and those management that refused to fire rude employees like that generally saw those customers boycotting their stores under principle. Volunteer position or not, you still have an obligation to wear that badge proudly and represent the organization behind it well, or you should turn that badge in and just reamin with the ranks of the ordinary if you're not willing to behave any better than ordinary. Stratics needs staff badly, but I don't think they need staff bad enough to put up with that kind of blatant disrespect from their staff members to the player base.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But yeah, I do believe that it is a staffer's primary function to have a drive even above and beyond what the 'average' player would have to help people whenever/where ever they can, especially when the answers won't take hours and hours to dig up, therefore not requiring anybody to go very far out of their way to do so. From everything I've witnessed recently, it is those who have become jaded and/or cynical whether or 'understandable reasons' or not, that have basically adopted the 'get it yourself' attitude....but I think that's going to directly or indirectly cost us new players in the end, because a new person to the board isn't going to understand previous histories that might or might not exist between players A and B, that make A less likely to help B, or B less likely to help A, they are just going to see somebody asking for information and basically being told off, ya know? That's why I think staffers especially should be required to set aside fundamental personality conflicts and either make effort to find information given, or at the very least just not say anything at all, giving off the impression that they had not read the request yet, but saying "Yes, I can find it.....but I won't" is just rude beyond measure to come out of *any* players mouth, but compounded when that person has a staff badge. If a person had a customer service job IRL and pulled that kind of crap they'd be fired so fast their head would spin, at least in any business I've been in contact with, and those management that refused to fire rude employees like that generally saw those customers boycotting their stores under principle. Volunteer position or not, you still have an obligation to wear that badge proudly and represent the organization behind it well, or you should turn that badge in and just reamin with the ranks of the ordinary if you're not willing to behave any better than ordinary. Stratics needs staff badly, but I don't think they need staff bad enough to put up with that kind of blatant disrespect from their staff members to the player base.

[/ QUOTE ]

their Staff is the player base. silly.
I'm pretty sure I know what the position I accepted has for a job description and I assure you linking AJ to a post he obviously replied to a long time ago was not in that description.

If stratics paid me to conduct myself in a certain manner, I would do so. But they do not. As long as I conduct myself within the RoC there is no problem.

Also, I'm pretty sure without being a mod that this thread is not the discussion for the behavior of the staff. Feel free to contact Aster or Rizzo if you have issues with how staff conducts themselves.

G

<blockquote><hr>

There ya go AJ

[/ QUOTE ]Thankyou.

So I did notice, did comment, but simply forgot something from many months ago. I stand corrected (well actually I'm sitting at the computer but you know what I mean).

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

There ya go AJ

[/ QUOTE ]Thankyou.

So I did notice, did comment, but simply forgot something from many months ago. I stand corrected (well actually I'm sitting at the computer but you know what I mean).

[/ QUOTE ]

::prints it out and frames it::

I kid... I kid... Sort of.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Ok so you've seen the thread... whatchagonnadoaboutit?

If you would like me to explain to you how the permissions system in Second Life works, so that a custom content creator may control what happens with their work, I'm only a PM away. You know you only have to ask if you would like to take advantage of my mass of experience in several other MMORPG's.

G

That will teach you Pari... peek in the thread and the monster attacks lol

na na na na

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Ok so you've seen the thread... whatchagonnadoaboutit?

If you would like me to explain to you how the permissions system in Second Life works, so that a custom content creator may control what happens with their work, I'm only a PM away. You know you only have to ask if you would like to take advantage of my mass of experience in several other MMORPG's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I don't want EALand to be like SL but if they can learn from SL's mistakes I could live with that. And honestly, I would rather she get it from someone who really knows what they are talking about, not someone who can't look up simple information for themself.

G

<blockquote><hr>

And accusing Donovan &amp; Roger Wilco of pimping the ATM's is downright dangerous....

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see that in her post, and I don't believe she would ever accuse me of that.

She is concerned about an aspect of the game that is fundamentally unfair, as are many others.
But the problem is that she, and the others, have the wrong target in their sights.
The problem isn't the re-selling of CC. The problem is the artificially inflated hours of some of the stores that gives them an unfair advantage when customers come shopping.

Customers tend to shop the top lots rather than sift thru the entire list. Thus, the shops at the top of the list have an advantage over those farther down. This means they can probably get away with higher prices.

If the top lots gain their advantage thru the abuse of free accounts and the hide feature, then their advantage is, indeed, unfair. If they, further, buy up all the CC from shops further down the list and display it in their shop at a higher price, then the unfair advantage they are enjoying has just rendered "fair competition" worthless.

Without that unfair advantage, buying up all CC (or any merchandise) becomes a riskier investment, and one that would not be as prevalent as it is now, since they would have to take their "fairly earned" place on the list - which could possibly (probably) place them lower than the shop they buy from.

So, that's the skinny - abuse of free accounts and the 'hide' feature. If we fix that problem - most of the 're-sell' problems go away.

Unless, of course, someone can convince me that the PTB fully intended for these accounts to be used in this manner.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Personally I don't want EALand to be like SL but if they can learn from SL's mistakes I could live with that.

[/ QUOTE ]As long as EALand remains a "Teen" game, it will never turn into Second Life - and, in that respect, it probably isn't such a bad thing. I've never been into the "adult" side of SL, by choice, and in many ways would rather it wasn't there in the first place.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

After reading up to Gracie's statement of the ToS excerpts she found, I was so disgusted I'd decided I was never going to make a shred of CC to sell, which is sad since I roomied at a friend's store both because I wanted to live with him

[/ QUOTE ]It could be that the ToS simply hasn't been updated yet.

Before custom content, everything in-game WAS created by EA, therefore it was theirs to do what they want with.

Usually when there is a ToS change (at least with other games), you have to click an 'agreement' of some description before you can continue to play the game under the new rules.

I certainly don't recall having done that ... which leads me to either the fact that the ToS hasn't been updated, or EA are in breach of contract by changing the rules without informing us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong again AJ.....they did change the ToS and require everyone to sign it, last spring or summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember it. It was a whole big todo shortly after TC3 came out and not too long before CC was introduced if I'm not incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it was covered way back in the day when TSO was merely tso, and CC was still being considered (during beta and for a while afterwards).
It was the deciding factor for a friend of mine (a well established and talented content creator) as to whether he would continue with the game.
He didn't. TSO's loss, as far as I'm concerned (his work is awesome!)

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

and in many ways would rather it wasn't there in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. We know.

I doubt the Teen Rating will ever change.

However, game experience may change with online play.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This from the person who flatly refused to provide links to the "proof" that supported her wild claims.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

And accusing Donovan &amp; Roger Wilco of pimping the ATM's is downright dangerous....

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see that in her post, and I don't believe she would ever accuse me of that.

She is concerned about an aspect of the game that is fundamentally unfair, as are many others.
But the problem is that she, and the others, have the wrong target in their sights.
The problem isn't the re-selling of CC. The problem is the artificially inflated hours of some of the stores that gives them an unfair advantage when customers come shopping.

Customers tend to shop the top lots rather than sift thru the entire list. Thus, the shops at the top of the list have an advantage over those farther down. This means they can probably get away with higher prices.

If the top lots gain their advantage thru the abuse of free accounts and the hide feature, then their advantage is, indeed, unfair. If they, further, buy up all the CC from shops further down the list and display it in their shop at a higher price, then the unfair advantage they are enjoying has just rendered "fair competition" worthless.

Without that unfair advantage, buying up all CC (or any merchandise) becomes a riskier investment, and one that would not be as prevalent as it is now, since they would have to take their "fairly earned" place on the list - which could possibly (probably) place them lower than the shop they buy from.

So, that's the skinny - abuse of free accounts and the 'hide' feature. If we fix that problem - most of the 're-sell' problems go away.

Unless, of course, someone can convince me that the PTB fully intended for these accounts to be used in this manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cntrygrl said:
<blockquote><hr>

In my opinion, I think those of you who think we underprice are the ones who think people should be pushed to use those ATM machines.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a pretty broad stroke she was painting with.......and I am glad that your bond is tight enough that you can dismiss the possiblity that you were included in it....but I don't think anyone in this thread deserves to be accused of pimping the ATM's.

And this thread is *not* about the ATM's, top stores, or how they got there. It is about who controls the price of Custom Content in the secondary market. (title:Custom Content Re-Sell Debate...)

The point has been made several times.....you cannot force anyone to pay more than they are willing to pay for a non-essential item like CC.

If they are paying the higher prices, it is because they willing to do so. ... no one has a gun at their heads....no one is driving them with cattle prods back to the canning table or factory job to pay the "outrageous" price.

If they are not willing, then they just don't buy that item. That is the risk *resellers* have assumed, by purchasing it at the designers full price for resale, that no one will buy it for the higher price.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

It’s naïve in the extreme to expect or want any other result from improperly priced goods.

[/ QUOTE ]What about people who made cheap items as a service to the community, only to see some scumbag come along and buy it all up and sell it at 10x the price they intended to sell it at?

Over in that-place-that-upsets-Donovan-so-much, a lot of people sell cheap because they choose to. It isn't up to someone else to decide the value of someone else's creations, only someone purchasing an item for their own use.

[/ QUOTE ]
Once again, Mr. Legend - It is not SL I object to. I don't care who plays the game, or how - it's just not *my* cup of beer.
What I object to (and what I explained numerous times) is your blatant and unending promotions (that are always worded to put TSO in the worst light possible).

Got it now? Or should I send you a t-shirt?

G

Excuse me, but I saw nothing in Donavan's posts stating we underprice. He has the idea, too bad you don't get it. The system needs fixed. &lt;--- period

G

<blockquote><hr>

And this thread is *not* about the ATM's, top stores, or how they got there. It is about who controls the price of Custom Content in the secondary market. (title:Custom Content Re-Sell Debate...)

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it is.
The so-called 're-sell debate' is a hot issue. The causes of the concern, both direct and indirect, are fair game for discussion as long as it relates to the subject.
Anything less is not a debate - it's a poll.

R

Roger Wilco

Yeah they underprice, and they have every right to do so. Likewise, resellers have every right to purchase cc (or anything else) that owners refuse to charge the proper amount for. Nothing needs "fixed" or "done", the market is working fine. I do object to what they really want - the ability to control the useage and resale of cc after they sell it.

For the record (not that anyone cares) I don't give a flip if anyone uses ATM's or not. I don't pimp or discourage their use.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This from the person who flatly refused to provide links to the "proof" that supported her wild claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two points:

1) My main beef with Jackiee's attitude was that she was a staffer AND was not only unwillingly help but blatantly rude when asked to help (Yes, I can, but I won't is what she said, I believe)

2) The information I was asked for was RL info and not game info. I have and will again go out of my way for anybody who politely asks for information in an effort to become educated on aspects of the game, and I *don't* have a staff shield. Also, that request made of me was far from polite, it was more of a 'Yeah? Prove it!' kind of challenge, and if you think I'm gonna jump through hoops for a juvenile request like that, then you're mistaken. I did tell the person requesting the information how they could find it, using the same search phrases that I did when I became versed on it.

There's a big difference between a person who genuinely wants to be pointed to information, even if its going to prove him wrong, as it turned out it did in this case with AJ, and one that is just looking to throw egg in someone's face and really doesn't want or need the information they are asking for. You're an intelligent guy, so I trust you can see that difference as well as anybody else can.

G

<blockquote><hr>

From everything I've witnessed recently, it is those who have become jaded and/or cynical whether or 'understandable reasons' or not, that have basically adopted the 'get it yourself' attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see.
*You* don't become 'jaded and/or cynical' - only everybody else.
Thanks for clearing that up.

G

So 24 hours later you still can't provide facts to back your previous statements, and instead have tried to derail this for your own little drama fest?

Thank you Lee for making what was already crystal clear a bit clearer. I think it's great what cc has added to game play, especially for stores. Now if the playing field could be more leveled I don't think this would be as big of a deal for some.

G

<blockquote><hr>

2) The information I was asked for was RL info and not game info. I have and will again go out of my way for anybody who politely asks for information in an effort to become educated on aspects of the game, and I *don't* have a staff shield. Also, that request made of me was far from polite, it was more of a 'Yeah? Prove it!' kind of challenge, and if you think I'm gonna jump through hoops for a juvenile request like that, then you're mistaken. I did tell the person requesting the information how they could find it, using the same search phrases that I did when I became versed on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are referencing when both Sam Hain and I asked for links to your "legal references" in the beginning of the thread, I believe the tone you interpreted was directly in response to your own. The problem with us researching the laws that you mention is that it will be extremely hard to find things that don't exist.

So if at any time you'd like to post these links, whether it be out of the kindness of your heart or to prove us wrong, feel free to do so.

G

<blockquote><hr>

So 24 hours later you still can't provide facts to back your previous statements, and instead have tried to derail this for your own little drama fest?

Thank you Lee for making what was already crystal clear a bit clearer. I think it's great what cc has added to game play, especially for stores. Now if the playing field could be more leveled I don't think this would be as big of a deal for some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have said a word about it if not asked, or rather if that little subtle comment had not been made, so it is not I whom you should be looking at as the derailer.

As for your second statement, I'm not sure the fact that this store was one of the afk cheating store is what made it such a big deal. It aggravated the issue because of the fact that they were higher up on the list than the original creator just because they had cheated, but if it were me even if they'd gotten there 'legitmately' other than selling ripped off goods, it wouldn't negate the fact that they did have ripped off goods....ripped off in this case being any merchandise that I knew they did not have the express permission of the original creator, or the knowledge that the original creator didn't care, in which case permission is implied. As long as they have permission in one way or another, then I don't care how many different creators' stuff they sell, or how high up they are on the list.....if they cheated to get up on the list, that's a separate, unrelated beef.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

I disagree with you. I see many people who want to purchase things and have to go earn some money to come back and buy it. I think we all need to keep the low payouts in mind here and stop trying to get rich quick in this new economy. The object I have seen priced at $900 took no creativity on the uploaders part and costs them very little to order. They are just screwing their fellow players pricing things that high, and I feel sorry for any one foolish enough to pay it, but then they probably have no idea they can get something similar with better quality much cheaper. I am done arguing this point with you. I will continue to sell for my fellow players, for those who buy on impulse without bothering to check around, oh well, it's their loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with you considering the way the economy is in Ea Land, those certain CC designers are out for that almighty buck and not taking into consideration that simoleans are primarily hard to come by. If they get thier price then more power to them, but I have lowered the prices on many of my crafts simply to accomdate the current cost of living and still make a profit. I am not trying to get rich quick.

I

imported_Shirl1211

[/ QUOTE ]

Two points:

1) My main beef with Jackiee's attitude was that she was a staffer AND was not only unwillingly help but blatantly rude when asked to help (Yes, I can, but I won't is what she said, I believe)

There's a big difference between a person who genuinely wants to be pointed to information, even if its going to prove him wrong, as it turned out it did in this case with AJ, and one that is just looking to throw egg in someone's face and really doesn't want or need the information they are asking for. You're an intelligent guy, so I trust you can see that difference as well as anybody else can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost have to laugh at your abilities to constantly insult people and then have the nerve to point the finger at someone else who will not go OUT of thier way to help a person who also has made consitent comments of knowing everything. I think Jackee has every right to help who she feels needs it, and 99% of the time she does. Also you keep cramming your opinions about the CC down our throats like they are fact. There not !!! They are just your opinions just like all the rest of us. And for Pete's sake, leave your insults at home....PLEASE!!!!

S

Shyanne1

Three years later and still the same three people debating over tiny little people that aren't real.

I liked the one where they called whomever resold items at higher prices than they got them from the original designer SCUM. LMFAO! CC will be sold at whatever price the person that owns it wants and will be bought at any price the person buying it pays. END OF STORY. There is nothing in the TOS that states you can't do it or that it's a scam. It's not morally or ethically wrong and even if it was, hmmm what was the motto of this game. BE SOMEONE ELSE! Be someone that you are not in RL.

In the beginning we used to have negative actions but the fluffy whining players couldn't take having their fake sim getting slapped. I even believe some went as far as to call it as degrading and tramatic as ****.

Why is it that when something fun comes into the game SOMEONE has to make it seem bad. Do you people even play this game for fun.

Stop trying to make this game anything other than what it is. A GAME which does not follow rules or conformities. It does not make people act morally correct or even nice for that matter. I will buy objects for a cheap price, even CC and sell it for any price I want. In fact, some of you that want to sell their objects to people that are poor and help them out are going to sell to me because I will manipulate you to do it. I'm having a blast playing again. Are you?

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's not morally or ethically wrong and even if it was, hmmm what was the motto of this game. BE SOMEONE ELSE! Be someone that you are not in RL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long-time posters: How many times have we seen scammers in the game use this same justification? "But this doesn't mean I'm a bad person in RL, I just wanted to roleplay a scammer or thief to see what it was like!!!". It hasn't kept those people from being drawn and quartered by us here, or even sometimes from having actions taken against their accounts in the game. And even if actions won't be taken against their accounts in the game, it won't stop people from calling a spade a friggin shovel here, either.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Two points:

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost have to laugh at your abilities to constantly insult people and then have the nerve to point the finger at someone else who will not go OUT of thier way to help a person who also has made consitent comments of knowing everything. I think Jackee has every right to help who she feels needs it, and 99% of the time she does. Also you keep cramming your opinions about the CC down our throats like they are fact. There not !!! They are just your opinions just like all the rest of us. And for Pete's sake, leave your insults at home....PLEASE!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on all counts.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

It's not morally or ethically wrong and even if it was, hmmm what was the motto of this game. BE SOMEONE ELSE! Be someone that you are not in RL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long-time posters: How many times have we seen scammers in the game use this same justification? "But this doesn't mean I'm a bad person in RL, I just wanted to roleplay a scammer or thief to see what it was like!!!". It hasn't kept those people from being drawn and quartered by us here, or even sometimes from having actions taken against their accounts in the game. And even if actions won't be taken against their accounts in the game, it won't stop people from calling a spade a friggin shovel here, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to point out that their is in fact a difference between scamming and doing something that some people think is "unfair". It has been stated time and time again in this thread that what we are talking about is clearly not a scam, though it apparently hasn't been clear enough.

We have even had responses from Lee about the subject, and he has said that there is nothing illegal or wrong about it. I don't know, but for some reason I'd think he'd know what is and isn't a scam, or even comparable to a scam. Guess not. Go figure.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

Three years later and still the same three people debating over tiny little people that aren't real.

I liked the one where they called whomever resold items at higher prices than they got them from the original designer SCUM. LMFAO! CC will be sold at whatever price the person that owns it wants and will be bought at any price the person buying it pays. END OF STORY. There is nothing in the TOS that states you can't do it or that it's a scam. It's not morally or ethically wrong and even if it was, hmmm what was the motto of this game. BE SOMEONE ELSE! Be someone that you are not in RL.

In the beginning we used to have negative actions but the fluffy whining players couldn't take having their fake sim getting slapped. I even believe some went as far as to call it as degrading and tramatic as ****.

Why is it that when something fun comes into the game SOMEONE has to make it seem bad. Do you people even play this game for fun.

Stop trying to make this game anything other than what it is. A GAME which does not follow rules or conformities. It does not make people act morally correct or even nice for that matter. I will buy objects for a cheap price, even CC and sell it for any price I want. In fact, some of you that want to sell their objects to people that are poor and help them out are going to sell to me because I will manipulate you to do it. I'm having a blast playing again. Are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your description sure fits well. My thread (afk) like most was written out of frustration towards the real cheaters and I had to deal with 7 pages of being called a cheater not to mention the reference between that being in the same league as **** and murder. That's at the point I lost all respect since my sister was shot and killed (yes,murdered) and to even compare the two shows a lack of common sense and now we hear the if we resell CC we can sue and all this legal mumbo jumbo that just plain wasn't true. Along with the *my opinion is fact and yours is ignorant* Maybe not in those exact words but that's the intepretation many got. All of this contraversy was layed on us all when the simple fact of the mater was no rules we're broken, no laws we're broken and basically it was just a matter of frustration by the OP. He even said so hisself and resolved his own problem. This is the one thing he did not want but i'm sure he can understand where it all stems from.

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh of course I'm a scammer now because I have a differing opinion than you? Anyway, I never said I wasn't a bad person in RL now did I? But see you'll never find out because you don't know who I am. I hardly doubt that EA is going to ban me from the game because I say that I will do something in the game that's allowed. Go ahead and chop me to bits. Like what you say affects me. I have more self esteem than that. I'm also not justifying what I do to anyone. I don't have to. As long as I'm not breaking the TOS I can do what I want in the game. Do I care if you don't like it. Hardly.

Also for everyone of the "morally correct" posters here there are just as many who have the same opinion as I do. Whether or not they are as vocal we'll see.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to point out that their is in fact a difference between scamming and doing something that some people think is "unfair". It has been stated time and time again in this thread that what we are talking about is clearly not a scam, though it apparently hasn't been clear enough.

We have even had responses from Lee about the subject, and he has said that there is nothing illegal or wrong about it. I don't know, but for some reason I'd think he'd know what is and isn't a scam, or even comparable to a scam. Guess not. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the differences between legal, moral and ethical, that are most in question now. OK, so Lee says EA feels that this is not an issue of a law being broken (though I'm still not convinced, based on my own research, but it would take a big battle with EA on corporate level to convince them otherwise and at this time I'm just not up for it)....but even still, that does not say that it is not immoral or unethical, because they cannot say that. It is up to the community to set up the moral and ethical codes, and just like in RL, obviously they are going to vary some from player to player, yet there still needs to be a widespread basic moral and ethical code that we players will not tolerate to be broken, and when it is broken, expect there to be reprocussions for that, even if those reprocussions are nothing more than a 'forum war' here, or a blacklisting in-game that really don't have a big impact on those who really don't give a darn what anybody thinks about them anyway, but perhaps it will make a difference to those whom the public (playerbase's) opinion matters to them. That much is out of our hands.....but DO NOT try to sit there and say that we do not have a right to say 'this is right' and 'this is wrong' because if you have a right to your opinion, then so do those of us who disagree with you, I don't care who you are.

G

<blockquote><hr>

.....but DO NOT try to sit there and say that we do not have a right to say 'this is right' and 'this is wrong' because if you have a right to your opinion, then so do those of us who disagree with you, I don't care who you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

[Edit because I hit send to soon and don't want to make another post]

I agree. We all have the right to our opinions, and I don't think our opinions should dictate what is and isn't allowed in-game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

though I'm still not convinced, based on my own research

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind sharing with the group? That is all some of us are asking.

Maybe you could pass this info to Lee since he's said it's all good.

S

Shyanne1

You are blacklisting people that don't share the same opinion as you? Do you have an ego or what? When did this GAME become a dictatorship? I hope you don't think I give a rats *** if you blacklist me or not.

I'm playing a game. I'm not going to worry about morality or what's ethical. I do that in my own RL. Do you not have a life CBrewton5, because you've been on these boards since the beginning voicing your moral and ethical judgements of other players.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

though I'm still not convinced, based on my own research

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind sharing with the group? That is all some of us are asking.

Maybe you could pass this info to Lee since he's said it's all good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mind sharing with the group, please, because it's not like it is just one or two of us who disagree. It is, in fact, a rather large group.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the differences between legal, moral and ethical, that are most in question now. OK, so Lee says EA feels that this is not an issue of a law being broken (though I'm still not convinced, based on my own research, but it would take a big battle with EA on corporate level to convince them otherwise and at this time I'm just not up for it)....but even still, that does not say that it is not immoral or unethical, because they cannot say that. It is up to the community to set up the moral and ethical codes, and just like in RL, obviously they are going to vary some from player to player, yet there still needs to be a widespread basic moral and ethical code that we players will not tolerate to be broken, and when it is broken, expect there to be reprocussions for that, even if those reprocussions are nothing more than a 'forum war' here, or a blacklisting in-game that really don't have a big impact on those who really don't give a darn what anybody thinks about them anyway, but perhaps it will make a difference to those whom the public (playerbase's) opinion matters to them. That much is out of our hands.....but DO NOT try to sit there and say that we do not have a right to say 'this is right' and 'this is wrong' because if you have a right to your opinion, then so do those of us who disagree with you, I don't care who you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do UK laws read the same as US laws? If they did I think it would make a big difference.

V

vapd3317

From another store owners/creators point of view, and not a reply to anyone in particular;

Quite frankly, I don't care if you buy something of mine, color it pink and call it a Flamingo. I just want it to sell.

It has NOTHING to do with helping out the community, it has to do with me not wanting to stare at it for weeks until someone can afford it. I just want it to sell at a profit. If you want to buy everything I have in store and sell it elsewhere at a profit, WAY TO GO ! Hell, give it away if you want. I made my sale and that's all Im concerned about. Holla back at me to make more for you and I will.

All my items are set at a profit which I enjoy and I hope you have the common sense if you resell, to get yourself some profit also.

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

From another store owners/creators point of view,

Quite frankly, I don't care if you buy something of mine, color it pink and call it a Flamingo. I just want it to sell.

It has NOTHING to do with helping out the community, it has to do with me not wanting to stare at it for weeks until someone can afford it. I just want it to sell at a profit. If you want to buy everything I have in store and sell it elsewhere at a profit, WAY TO GO ! Hell, give it away if you want. I made my sale and that's all Im concerned about. Holla back at me to make more for you and I will.

All my items are set at a profit which I enjoy and I hope you have the common sense if you resell, to get yourself some profit also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, someone who makes sense! Now does this poster sound like a scammer?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am not selling things for less than they are worth. Some people are selling things at outrageously high prices. There is the huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]No, not really. If people are willing to way the higher price, then that means you have underestimated the value of the object. Remember that it's the consumer, not the producer, that determines the value of an item. That's the way a free market system works.

S

Shyanne1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I am not selling things for less than they are worth. Some people are selling things at outrageously high prices. There is the huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]No, not really. If people are willing to way the higher price, then that means you have underestimated the value of the object. Remember that it's the consumer, not the producer, that determines the value of an item. That's the way a free market system works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the pet rock. Thousands of people spent thousands of dollars on something they could get in their yard.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, yes.
The old "Your purpose in this game is to provide entertainment for *me*" argument.