• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Creature Feature #4: Choose your poison--The Wyvern

E

Elyssar

They look like a drake, sound like a drake, and smell like a drake, but when one of these little fellows hit you, they're certainly no drake!

Originally residents of the lost lands only, wyverns have moved on to bigger and better things. They can now be found in all levels of Destard, as well as in the desert north of Papua and Cyclops Valley. They can also be seen in the Third Dawn client's Ilshenar, where some of the hang out with the biggest baddest wyrm of them all, the ancient wyrm.

Using the same graphic as the drake, wyverns come in many more colors. These lizards pack a punch with their deadly poison, which can knowck you down and out fast unless you carry greater cures or are quick with magery. Many people deal with wyverns by paralyzing and casting blade spirits, while others prefer to Cor Por, Kal Vas Flam, or "(petname) kill" them.

Wyverns give second level fame and karma when killed. They are untameable due to their high poison. Wyverns drop 150-250 gold, bottles of poison, scrolls circle 4-7, the occasional jewels, as well as level 2 treasure maps. (There is currently debate that they may drop level 3 maps as well.)

Wyverns are not quite as strong as drakes, but they can strike quite fast and can poison often.

(Now everyone else gets to reflect on wyverns, write haikus about wyverns, or add any information that may have been left out /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

S

Socko

There easy for a melee fighter if he or shee is prepaired, one or two Greature Cures should enough. They're really weak but good to provoke on.

For example, Dragon A, and Dragon B are fighting. Provoke Wyvern to attack dragon A, when hes dp'd then do the same for dragon B.

They have no fire breath, everything else Elyssar said is accurate, sometimes they give arrows though.

One time when i was a newbie, tamer when the t2a first came out i went exploring. I ran to the northern desert and i came in contact to one. Needless to say, you can't tame them,i found out the hard way.

Theres a Small Island where i have a rune to where, theres like seven or eight wyverns there at a time. Its called Wyvern Isle. its a great death rune, to teach jerks lessons for jumping gates.

<font color=red>Zeyke the Hermit</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Chesapeak Legend</font color=blue>
<font color=green> Baja Seer of Justice </font color=green>

<font color=blue>Ape </font color=blue> of <font color=red>God </font color=red>
<font color=purple>founder of OLA Ostard Liberation Army </font color=purple>

M

Mordanna

<font color=green>i remember my first encounter with a wyvern in my newbie days. stumbled into the T2A desert without being prepared and got around well enough killing orcs and scorpions, when i suddenly heard a "roaaaaaaar" and was killed before i could react and run away. at that time i was convinced that a dragon killed me, since i had never seen either dragon, drake or wyvern before. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

<center>

Mordanna of Pacific
<a target="_blank" href=http://uo.stratics.com/strat/tamer.shtml>Stratics Tamer Essay</a>
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/prc/prc.php>PRC Taming Website</a></center>

D

DuNoir

<font color=27408B>Wyverns are also not near as aggressive as other dragonkind, and do not retarget like other "aggressive" creatures. As far as history and mythology are concerned, wyverns were always feared for their viciousness and for the pestilence they brought to northern Europe, Greece, and Ethiopia. The wyvern had a coiling trunk that bore a pair of eagle's legs, which were tucked beneath its wings. The name is also derived from the Saxon word wivere, or "serpent".

Even though they don't have eagle's legs in UO, they are still quite a "pestilence" and can move incredibly fast in-game (though not quite as fast as other creatures like the silver serpent or the ophidian justicar).

<font color=27408B>But only in their dreams can men be truly free. 'Twas always thus and always thus will be.</font color=27408B>

B

BrockY2K

My first run in with a wyvern was with my mage/tamer a long time ago when I was just starting to tame great harts =P Me and a friend were wandering a wooded area. He had just crossed a suspension bridge and I stayed back for some odd reason. Just as I was about to follow him he came screaming back about a "wyvern". Thinking not much of it i walked a little farther and *BOOM* it hit me as fast as lightening. A big dragon like thing had me poisened and I was dead in seconds. After my friend rezzed me I seriously got pissed at this thing and cast energy field to block it on the bridge. Then we proceeded to use blade spirits till it was about half health then the field wore off. It was only a matter of a few flamestrikes and my final ebolt that tipped that overgrown cow =P I was saddened at the loot for all that I went through.

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/flash.gifSeizures are fun!/php-bin/shared/images/icons/flash.gif

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BrockY2K on 06/06/01 11:04 PM.</FONT></P>

W

WindKeeper4

i usually drag one around with me and provoke it into the stone gargs in the t2a desert. they make very useful cannon fodder considering the fact that they can actually do a fair amount of damage before dying.

I think therefore I exist in a virtual world where I don't exist.
Sapphire, Resident Philospher of Moonglow LS

M

Matrim

Annoying little bastards which serve no purpose other then annoying you.

Now willing to help Trammel players in learning about Felucca [truths vs the myths]
<a target="_blank" href=http://users.sitestar.net/~tsmart/>Matrims stuff for sale</a>

I

imported_Kral

No discussion of wyverns is complete without a mention of Galad! Wyvern Island 'twas practically his own. :&gt;

http://galad.clanpages.com

G

It followed me home and I can't keep it! I WANNA WYVERN! I WANNA WYVERN! WAAAHAHHHHHHHH!

Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you get booked on Oprah.
<font color=006400>Thaqui, Grandmaster Tamer of Catskills</font color=006400>
<font color=00008B>Dreafor, Lvl 4 Treasure Hunter and recovering alcoholic</font color=00008B> /php-bin/shared/images/icons/pint.gif

D

Dk_Legion

they make weird clugging noises in uo:3D and i wrote a poem to celebrate them.
Oh pointy birds, so pointy pointy
Anoint my head anointy nointy
there we are, dk sleep now...............*snore*

<font color=purple> One Day the nightmares shall come, they do for everyone, but on that day only the ones who have the purple will sleep safely </font color=purple>
/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin.gif DO NOT UNDERSTIMATE THE POWER OF PURPLE /php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin.gif

L

Lauren Wilroy

My warrior likes to fight them sometimes with only bandages to heal the poision with. They are not to hard to melee until they stick a fang in you, *you are wracked in extreme pain*. I usually have one chance to heal myself while i am running away from the beast as fast as my feet can carry me. By the time I do manage to cure myself, there is not much left of my health bar.

You can pick your pets,and you can pick your nose. But don't pick your pet's nose! *you seem to anger the beast*NOO!.. 0oo00o0

I

indigowulf

That would be how I got my newbie character to be a respectable swordsman. I entered destard (no idea what was there, totally new, like 3 days into it) as luck would have it, someone had lured a wyvern to the entrance, and there was nothing else. I was already decent at healing and parry (I always get defense first) and I sparred this wyvern for about 3 hours. I healed constantly, and occasionally ran outside to heal when I got too low. It, naturally, waited patiently inside the door to continue our game. I never really did more than tickle its tummy (maybe thats why it didnt kill me) but I got up to 80+ sword, tactics, parry, heal, and anatomy before I had to go get some sleep. I would sorta say I got twinked by a wyvern who decided not to poison me in a 3 hour battle. LMAO anyway, they are more than annoying to me, I'm actually gratefull.

~The wolf of the moonlit river

S

Staminus

Wyvern,you small fry.
I just wanted to pet you.
Poison really hurts

Haiku in classic 5/7/5 format

Staminus Master Mage/ Master Tamer/Grandmaster Ranger GL

D

Delvin Dewilds

Would be VERY interesting if: They poisoned you with every hit, had higher HP/resist/Tactics AND carried a single bottle of that juicy L5 poison of theirs. First day of it at Brit West Bank-"Selling bottles of L5 POISON 30k each!" all over screen. LOL

K

Katerian

They are my single favorite creature to see in 3d, even if I'm not real big on killin em. That is how they should look in 2d, with the spiked tail, but they are pretty cool either way. Honestly, though, they should hit a bit faster then they do and should poison with every hit of their tail (should be calculated on every other hit is a tail strike). They are one of my favorite critters in UO, just wish I could have one for a pet. Back through all the books I've read I almost always prefer the wyvern to the dragon.

Glorious Lord Katerian
Elven Death Knight
Elven Knight(Dragon Fire((D*F)))

I

indigowulf

maybe every 3-4 hit be a tail strike imho (right claw, left claw, bite, tail)

~The wolf of the moonlit river

P

PuG

Wyverns have deathly low resist....a good mage can kill them with half a tank of mana if lucky.

L

Lemia

Looks like a dragon,
But it is not tamable.
Dang! I want poison!

Witness the miracle of birth as the young monkey hatches from its protective shell...

Lemia-GM Smith/Miner/Fisherman
Lemina-GM Warrior
Mia-GM Tailor/Master Scribe/Carpenter/Tinker/Mage
Nadia-GM Tamer/Master Mage
Ayla-GM Thief

P

PacificDamien

wyverns should be tamable... I used to drag two scorpions around cause their poison did a number on things I ran across... I wish I could have that access now with a higher tamable..... maybe I should go fight orcs and ettins with a scorpion again just like the old days? lol..

Damien- Suicidal *GM* tamer/warrior

W

WolfZbane

We need a new creature feature; this one is dried out.

Wolfsbane

E

Elyssar

*cough* well my city just dried out, flooding was sort of severe so I didn't get to visit the forum as much as I'd like. Sort of bad when 18 wheelers float away down the freeway (200 in all did that.)

Y

Yoda of TFC

wait till those 18 wheelers are flying around in a tornado with winds in excess of 318mph then you'll have a good excuse.

and trust me it's not fun seeing flying semi's in your rearview mirror[biggirn]

<font color=blue> Zadreth
<font color=blue>Chainsmoking GM Lumberjack of SBG /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smoke.gif
<font color=green>Ishan's Shade
<font color=green>GM dying Tamer/bard in training /php-bin/shared/images/icons/ashamed.gif
<font color=black>Yoda of TFC
The little boardie that could... but is to damn lazy/php-bin/shared/images/icons/spin2.gif