• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Evlar

I will repeat myself a little because I have no idea why some of my posts have been removed without even a notice explaining what I should not say. But I have a system that can take care of both hacking and problem players without needing a privacy invading technique, and its so simple I'm now certain noone can ever come up with it. I repeat, I will give it away to someone trustable @ EA, I want no money nor fame for it ; it is powerful a script. I designed it in 1999 and the only reason it was not implemented is because they fired everyone in our seer team just as it was being put on the table, and thus my EA contact person disapeared like dust in the wind...

Of course when that happened ; I was very frustrated, my childhood dreams being stolen like that ; so I created the UOE shadow ping loop (seems like I was a scripting genius at just 14 y.o.) which gave the whole of UO lots of trouble. So I'm not claiming to be an angel here...

The only thing I am asking for is that my companionship be honored and that ultima lore be put back in its right place. Simple... and my script is so simple that it could be live in less than a month. Small patch, problem fixed.

It has only one downside that I am sure every classic proponent will not mind a bit, but I cannot mention it without selling the salad ; sorry.
Therefore it would certainly in the interests of EA/Mythic to contact you. Communicate at the very least, to see what you can bring to the table that might just be beneficial to them.

Cal & the crew, if you're reading this (I know you're lurking in here regularly...), then let your curiosity be your guide and get in touch with Ahu :)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Not criticising Ahu in the slightest. I love reading his comments and his RP viewpoint. Truly does show he really cares about UO. I also look forward to a classic shard, so I get to meet in-game, as with a lot of players who've added to this thread. :)
That's a great idea Evlar! If they launch a classic shard, we should all agree to meet somewhere in game and have a launch party!

E

Evlar

I'd say 1 part selfishness and 3 parts fear.

Most of the people that have expressed opposition to a Classic Shard hide behind 'resources' as their reason...but I think in understanding the playstyles of these individuals, one can easily discern their genuine reason:

They are afraid. They are afraid that the Classic Shard will be more popular than the current shards. They are afraid that if that happens, EA will see what some of us have been saying is true, that Trammel was a mistake. They are afraid that eventually, their shards might be changed to become more like classic shards. They are afraid that the developers will devote time and effort towards something other than the 'gimme, gimme, gimme' item based expansions ushered in by AoS. They are afraid that the 'uber, rare, and leet' items that they have been hording for the last 6 years will lose their "value" (as if they ever had any real value to begin with)....But most of all, they are afraid that the risk-free gameplay found on current shards might come to an end as players realize that risk adds challenge to the game.

And I think that about sums it all up.

Anti-Classic Shard protesters, in the flesh ;)

E

Evlar

That's a great idea Evlar! If they launch a classic shard, we should all agree to meet somewhere in game and have a launch party!
Most certainly will be my first priority.

Second priority, will be creating in-game spaces and activities, beneficial to the rest of the community. Such as, a rune library for starters.

I'm also hoping to be amongst the first to initiate a player run crafting and trading orientated guild. The emphasis will be to encourage players to learn the crafting and gathering skills as quickly as possible, with the help of other players, thus helping to encourage more balanced trade. The more crafters there are to supply their wares, the more stable pricing should be.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How can 81 people be opposed to something that wont effect them at all? It will just inscrease the player base for Uo ffs.
Fear based on past UO history.

Fear that the Classic shard project will just be like every big MMORPG project and take way longer than was initially estimated. So what happens when it takes way longer than expected? No new content for long long periods. The last time it happened in UO was with the KR client project. There was 9 months of no new content, such as events, and as a result tons of paying subscribers left the game. If the above happens, UO will lose more subscribers than it gains from the Classic shard.

There is no fear that the Classic shard will be massively successful long term, because the MMORPG market is extremely competitive and there are so many examples of non-consentual PvP RPG games like AoC, Warhammer, DoAC, and Darkfall that are on life support or free to play like the Freeshards. Look at Seige now. The Classic shard is Seige without item properties and other stuff.

I say build a PvP shard without item properties. It is going to be cheaper and quicker than developing a 100% accurate Classic shard. Then to cater to non-PvPers, build a 100% tram shard.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if you insist in convincing us HD, you're totally in the wrong place, and also in the wrong time.

Even though I swiped over your post with my eyes, I am sitting here dreaming of a real player driven economy, and it's so simple it must sadden the developpers of all other games unconsciously.

Ah about the companions : http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/The_Companions_of_the_Avatar

Well it's a concept that was taken back by EA in a program I dunno around 2000-2001 I think in which I had a complete turn around for a whole half year. I worked everyday over 6 hours a day in getting noobs to like the game and enjoy roleplaying (which was my priority at that point).

EA came to me (I highly suspect Nick plugged me back in, knowing how much anger I was fermenting) and offered me this ; I was told I was the only one that was offered the position because of my previous involvement with the seer team. The others in the team had to sign a contract saying it was temporary duty that could be cut off anytime blablabla. I seen the contract it was one long piece of text people had to sign and send back to EA (since they had many court problems and all). Anyways !

I refused to sign it and I was told, you are now a companion of the avatar, and this golden seer-like robe was given to me, along with an immortal, eternal character.

You should know by now I have no interest in trolling UHALL anymore, the real adversaries have bitten other hooks by now, and as you can see some people do realise I have been there with UO in all its adolescence ; and do have the experience I claim ; both with in game systems and outbound dynamics.

One day I logged in (and it will sound a bit childish to "cry a river" about it) but I don't mind. My companion... a character without any powers that only spent time helping noobs was deleted.

I snapped, the frustration created my brainbug murderer which died shortly before trammel was implemented, it was my way to numb the pain, again. In my mind I was still a companion... so I would let live anyone who looked like a noob or a new prospective player, and also anyone who would roleplay with brainbug.

This lasted a whole summer long, and let me tell you, in the end the whole atlantic server hated me (I cleared all antivirtue dungeons, everynight) and over 100 angry people got together to lag me to death in an ambush.

I spent 1 year and a half creating content for UO as a seer, and now 6 months helping noobs without any fun side to it.

What did I get from EA ? not even a thank you, not even a free month of play (yes I PAID to be a seer and a companion). But strangely enough, the person who killed my FOA character and one of their leaders on atlantic was personally crowned by LB, given a castle full of riches, and 2 years of free play.

You see I'm not asking for stuff or anything here ; just someone to go like. Yeah, Ahu gave 2 years of his life to better UO (and oh how many bugs I reported a fix for in the seer days) he is a companion.

Hardly even the possibility of being a troll if you ask me. I love however how you are taking this as a "ransom" and how you say the straight stuff by mentioning it's "the fabled script", and even giving me orders. Hah !

We'll see won't we ? I'll either sink into the unknown again or you'll see it happen.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I say build a PvP shard without item properties. It is going to be cheaper and quicker than developing a 100% accurate Classic shard.
I guess it might not have been very clear...but in essence, that is what most of us are asking for. There have been several posters here that are very committed to the purity of a specific era, but if you read what many of us have post, it's pretty much that we are willing to settle for a shard that doesn't have Trammel, doesn't have AoS in any way, and doesn't have the new lands added since T2A. Siege currently has all of the things that we are asking for a Classic Shard NOT to include besides Trammel...and it has several other things that a Classic Shard should not have (1 character slot, tougher skill gains, "advanced" economy, etc).

The fact is, most of us here realize that the devs will likely have to work backwards from existing code...and that making a 100% accurate-to-the-letter Classic Shard is not possible without an extreme amount of work. Of course, none of us actually KNOW this because the devs have not said whether they have to work from the ground up, or whether they can work backwards, or whether they have an old back up...that really is the key as to what would work best.

Then to cater to non-PvPers, build a 100% tram shard.
What's the point? There are already 24 Trammel shards running now.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

What's the point? There are already 24 Trammel shards running now.
The point is that not everyone who wants a classic shard wants to PvP. There are some people who play that dislike PvP but absolutely detest the item-centric game that UO became with the release of AoS.

Myself? I could care less if it was a Pub15 shard or a Day 1 release shard, I just can't stand what AoS did to the game. As long as AoS is out, I'm in for the long run.

That being said, I would still love it to be T2A, Publishes 1-4 brought a lot of good stuff into the game, except Power Hour which was included in Pub 4. (Pub5 brought UO: R)

R

Ray_

I haven't been reading but what is going on here? Are you guys talking about using UO:R Mechanics for the classic server instead of T2A? Gosh I really hope not. Forget about Runic Weapon, Para Blows and Concussion blow PvP. I really hope I'm wrong. Yeah there was a strong dueling scene in UO:R but field pvp took a major hit. I mean it still happened, but many people who played both would agree that from a PvP standpoint Pre uo:r as a lot more fun. Unless of course you liked 2 hitting people.
Exactly this.

R

Ray_

Considering the fact that Mind Blast was effectively a broken spell during T2A if you had more than dead 0 resist (and even then it was a poor damage spell), I don't see a problem with them making the spell effective.
There's a huge difference between making a spell effective and making it the most powerful spell in PvP. Few would have had a problem with just making it not useless.

R

Ray_

I had a macer (my tailor in fact!! :) ) that I loved playing just after UO:R. I had houses in Fel, and I loved watching Dexers scatter when my macer showed up. Bye bye armor! :lol:

I don't claim to know as much about the mechanics of it all, but it sure was fun beating people to death that warmace!
I had a war axe/parry dexxer for a while and it was pretty fun. Always liked breaking a pair of blessed black sandals.

However, this highlights the terrible philosophy behind the UO:R PvP design: PvP was turned into a giant game of rock/paper/scissors along template lines. It stopped being within the power of the individual to counter anything thrown at him. LJ beats mage, macer beats LJ, etc, etc, etc.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

There's a huge difference between making a spell effective and making it the most powerful spell in PvP. Few would have had a problem with just making it not useless.
Balanced stats ftw at that time. All the little kiddies that thought Mind Blast was an I Win button had to change their undies when it didn't work on me. Now when a real PvPer came around I tended to get wtfpwned, but balanced stats were awesome to screw with the little ganker pk wannabes who where only 1 trick ponies.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The point is that not everyone who wants a classic shard wants to PvP. There are some people who play that dislike PvP but absolutely detest the item-centric game that UO became with the release of AoS.
Well, the devs are going to do 2 different Classic Shards, then I would argue that the better option would be to just do a UR:O shard with Fel and Trammel.

Of course, that would be pretty much against everything I want to see in a Classic Shard...but I guess if that is what the majority of the players wanted, I would support it.

I just wouldn't bother to play on it.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

I don't know if a majority or not would prefer a UO:R server or not, I just know that there are quite a few people I know who played UO pre-AOS who did not care for the forced PvP of T2A, yet still hates AoS. My wife is one of them, and the primary reason I try to advocate the "trammie" side of a classic shard.

I think this time around since most of us would know what exactly we were stepping into there should be no need for a trammel, but there is that percentage of people who would be alienated by the open pvp.

Should the classic shard be Tram/Fell from the start? No, most definitely, unequivocally not, but does that mean there is no room in the "classic" time frame for a Publish 5-15 shard, if our classic shard is doing well? I think it's something the devs should think about for later.

E

Evlar

Perhaps some additional perspective is required here.

My first character, Anvilar, started life as a smith/miner, hence the name. Now although PK'ers weren't a particular frustration, they were an annoyance from time to time. What did I do then? I made the character a smith/miner and warrior.

Now although this character wouldn't usually stand up too well against, what I would call, a proper PvP PK'er, he gave them something to think about. More often than not, most of the better players would be surprised (and pleased) to see a miner put up a fight. Most often, when I saw the same players again, they would leave me alone, or stop for nothing else than a chat. Where he did stand up though, was against the PK'ers, who couldn't do the business against the proper PvP players, so went after the "easy" prey. More often than not, they were in for a bit of a surprise...

So, I adapted my character to suit the game as was at the time. You know what? I thoroughly enjoyed it! Although I wasn't particularly a PvP'er, or as much so as others here perhaps, it was part of the game, so I played the game. Not only that, mining became a hell of a lot more fun. Each trip was an adventure. Each trip a challenge.

So my own preference, would be to have just the one facet from the start. If rampant and nonsensical PK'ing became a problem, as I've said before, options for harsher penalties would be the next option. Splitting the facets and the community, would ultimately end my interest altogether. I carried on playing UO last time they did that. My interest declined, not least because of AoS, until I reached my current view on things. If a split facet/split community "solution" were to happen again, I would probably turn my back on UO all together and never look back.

Getting the era right, laying the ground rules out so everyone knows fully what they're entering into, is the most important thing here. But lets please not repeat the mistakes of the past. Namely Trammel and AoS.

:)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I fully support a classic, pre-AoS, pre-Ren server. But I fully oppose anything like what he, and his gang of sock puppets, are ramming down everyone's throats... including yours, Morgana.
Well, I think everyone knows my stance on the matter.

But just so there are no mistakes, this is MY LIST...the way the server would work if *I* were in charge...some of these may not be popular, but again...this is just MY OPINION:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
- No Trammel/No PvP switch
- No AoS or item properties similar to AoS...the old system or Ruin, Vanq, etc.
- No Runics or Artifacts...crafted items and magic items only
- No Custom Housing
- No Control Slots for Tamers or Mages
- No insurance and No pet bonding
- Only the original landmass and the Lost Lands
- No neon colored anything...ever.
- Only skills that were present in T2A.
- T2A era spells only - Spell Reflection would actually Reflect Spells
- No Bank Checks
- Classic and UO:R House styles
- No BODs
- No Transfers to or from...ever.
- No Repair Deeds
- No Bless Deeds except for clothing
- Order/Chaos...No factions
- No Elves, Gargoyles, Space Aliens, etc. as playable races
- No Todd McFarlame content...ever.
- Skill and Stat locks
- Skill cap is 700
- No skill enhancing items...ever.
- Stat cap is 225
- Guild stones...but Guildleader could still access Guild commands from paperdoll
- Current housing security rules (friends, owners, co-owners, access list, etc.)
- The following penalties for reds...
- Stat loss occurs on death.
- Stat loss is permanent. You have to work your skills and stats back up.
- Stat loss = 5% on stats/3% on kills up to 5. Capped at 25%/15%.
- Reds could choose "Exile" to work off murder counts (see below)
- Murder counts would not "burn off" unless player was in a dungeon...and alive.
- Reds cannot access towns except for Buc's Den.
- NPCs will not buy from, sell to, or ressurect reds.
- Blue players cannot perform beneficial acts on red players.
- Bounty system (see below)

-Exile:
- Reds can choose to enter "exile" by saying "I wish to enter exile"
- A gump appears that allows the red to choose from several 'advanced' dungeons.
- The red is transported to the dungeon he/she chooses and cannot leave unless they say "I wish to leave exile".
- In exile, the red can PK anyone without receiving counts.
- In exile, the red can die without stat loss.
- A red can only be in exile while they have murder counts.
- Counts "burn off" at a faster rate in exile.
- In exile, reds can re-equip by killing other reds, blues, or monsters.
- Once the red leaves exile, they are subject to stat loss as long as they are still red.
- Exile is not mandatory.

-Bounty System
- Blue players can pay a fee (5000 gold) to an NPC to become a Bounty Hunter.
- Bounty Hunters have a special title like Murderers.
- Red players do not get counts for killing Bounty Hunters.
- Upon killing a red player, Bounty Hunters are awarded points.
- These points can be used to purchase specially colored armor and weapons that offer no advantage over GM made weapons and armor.
- These weapons and armor can only be equipped by Bounty Hunters...but they are not blessed.
- When a Bounty Hunter dies to a red, they lose all Bounty points.
- Reds cannot be Bounty Hunters, and any Bounty Hunter that takes a murder count is automatically expelled from the Bounty Hunter's Guild (the player can rejoin once they have no murder counts, but have to re-pay the fee)
- Both Murderers and Bounty Hunters gain in title-level based on their special titles...not their professional titles (ie, the Grandmaster Bounty Hunter, the Journeyman Murderer) by killing either reds or blues respectively.
- Reds do not gain in title level while in "exile".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without doing too much debating on the finer points, I will just say that it is my belief that this kind of shard would be more appealing to both PKs and Anti-PKs because both have a purpose in the game. PKs would be entertained with "exile" because it would allow them to kill freely for a while, and Anti-PKs would enjoy Bounty Hunting because it provides more challenge and more reward than just hunting reds the regular way.

I also think this would cut down on some random PKing because it would occupy PKs with things like "exile" and fighting Bounty Hunters to loot their Bounty Hunter gear (they couldn't use it, but they could display it as trophies). Because of this, I think more PvM'ers would be willing to give the shard a try because they know that PKs will be less random, and they will know that some dungeons are 'advanced' dungeons (meaning exile dungeons that are going to be full of reds).

Again, these are just MY OPINIONS.

None of these means that I would not support the shard in any other state.

I have accepted the fact that my ideas are not very popular on either side of the PK/PvMer argument because it actually serves to add more challenge to both sides...and it seems that everyone one wants it to be as easy as possible.

S

spade gt

Random classic memory!

Remember before skill locking when, once you were at the 700 skill cap, you would have to use certain skills to "refresh" them to tell the game which skills not to reduce while working other skills? For example, say your character had:

100 Fencing
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Parry
100 Magery
40 Magery
60 Hiding

If you wanted to work your Hiding, the only way to guarantee your other skills weren't chosen by the game to go down ("decay") was to actively use those skills before you started working on the non-capped skill. So in this case you'd have to go hit something with a kryss, heal yourself, and be attacked while having a shield equipped. This would "refresh" all your capped skills, telling the game that Magery - the only one you hadn't used recently - was the one to go down as your Hiding went up.

Hope I explained that well enough.

I remember running my 5X dexxer (who was capped at 700 overall) through Brit one day and being mortified as I saw UOAssist report something like

Your Camping skill has changed by +0.3 (0.3).
Your Parry skill has changed by -0.3 (99.7).

I hadn't used parry in a while and inadvertently ran past some campfire in Brit. Back then Parry took a good long while to raise, with the help of several hired paladin NPCs hehe. Nostalgia =)

Not presenting this as an argument for or against any type of ruleset, just contributing to the thread and sharing a random memory =P

I really, really hope they make a Classic shard. I'm doing everything I can to not get my hopes up but so far nothing seems to be working.

E

Evlar

everyone that wants a classic server wants nothing more than a UO:CoD server
What's a UO:CoD server?
I'm guessing it's a reference to the Call of Duty servers, where in my experience, people seem to just run around shooting anyone and everyone. Without any sort of cohesion, teamwork, or particular sense of goals. In essence, a free-for-all killing spree.

I did happen accidentally across one once, which insisted that unless players participated in team strategy, they would be booted from the server. Was about the only decent CoD server I ever found.

F

fantasy10k

Do the admins never speak to the community on here? Can we get some updates, when will the server come, soon? I heard from a few people that most of it is actually already done, is this true? Can someone talk to us?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Do the mods admins never speak to the community on here? Can we get some updates, when will the server come, soon? I heard from a few people that most of it is actually already done, is this true? Can someone talk to us?
The last thing we heard was from Cal, and he basically said that there were other priorities ahead of a Classic Shard...like stopping cheating and scripting. I agree with him that those things need to be dealt with before a Classic Shard could be done.

Besides that, we have heard no timeframe...nor have we gotten a definite commitment. But we are still trying to make sure this idea, this cause, does not fade away and become forgotten...so we keep the topic as active as possible.

R

Ray_

Balanced stats ftw at that time. All the little kiddies that thought Mind Blast was an I Win button had to change their undies when it didn't work on me. Now when a real PvPer came around I tended to get wtfpwned, but balanced stats were awesome to screw with the little ganker pk wannabes who where only 1 trick ponies.

What did you run with?
80/45/100? Weaken gets you to 69 hp and able to be dropped by exp/fs even with GM resist. 80hp vs a UO:R dexer = guaranteed 2 shot death.
90/35/100? Clumsy+cunning = 40 damage mindblasts again
75/75/75? Completely useless at every combat role unless you go around chugging str/dex pots 24/7. 'Course now you're a dexxer with 75 int that's completely useless to you, or a mage with 75 dex that even more useless. All to nullify ONE spell.

It was a fix for an issue that wasn't an issue. I hated mindblast. Can ya tell? :)

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

What did you run with?
80/45/100? Weaken gets you to 69 hp and able to be dropped by exp/fs even with GM resist. 80hp vs a UO:R dexer = guaranteed 2 shot death.
75/75/75? Completely useless at every combat role unless you go around chugging str/dex pots 24/7. 'Course now you're a dexxer with 75 int that's completely useless to you, or a mage with 75 dex that even more useless. All to nullify ONE spell.

It was a fix for an issue that wasn't an issue. I hated mindblast. Can ya tell? :)
BUT...

...is it better than Tram/AoS??

That really is the question...isn't it?

We can all get hung up on details, but really, the core of the matter is Tram/AoS...right?

A

AesSedai

How can 81 people be opposed to something that wont effect them at all? It will just inscrease the player base for Uo ffs.
I'd say 1 part selfishness and 3 parts fear.

Most of the people that have expressed opposition to a Classic Shard hide behind 'resources' as their reason...but I think in understanding the playstyles of these individuals, one can easily discern their genuine reason:

They are afraid. They are afraid that the Classic Shard will be more popular than the current shards. They are afraid that if that happens, EA will see what some of us have been saying is true, that Trammel was a mistake. They are afraid that eventually, their shards might be changed to become more like classic shards. They are afraid that the developers will devote time and effort towards something other than the 'gimme, gimme, gimme' item based expansions ushered in by AoS. They are afraid that the 'uber, rare, and leet' items that they have been hording for the last 6 years will lose their "value" (as if they ever had any real value to begin with)....But most of all, they are afraid that the risk-free gameplay found on current shards might come to an end as players realize that risk adds challenge to the game.

And I think that about sums it all up.
- I politely disagree with all of your assertions.
Not one of your aforementioned presumptions are correct regarding why I voted against it; and from what I've read from many others that voted against it, they do not fit your tunnel-visioned assumptions regarding why we are against it either. I believe it is a bit more difficult to discern reasoning than you initially thought.

Several of us have even stated in this thread that there are true 'dollars-and-cents, time, and logic' -based reasons as to why we use 'resources' as the/a primary reason for thinking it may not be a good idea for UO - I would certainly not consider it merely hiding behind a reason... I even suggested a day or two ago that this should be your primary focal point in trying to get a new classic shard, if you really want it. Because I daresay that it is a very important point when making 'most any business decision (I hope you might feel the same on this point).
Why would someone dare think that resources would be an important factor? I don't know, perhaps you can figure it out (& perhaps think about other games that have attempted very similar, and how they fared while you're at it).

No, it is not fear. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I am scared of any outcome.
It could be considered selfishness but when practicing how to make as good a business decision as possible, when trying to truly weigh the scales and determine what one feels to be the best outcome for the 3rd party, I don't know about you but I try to remove as much of my self from the equation as possible and try to stick to the facts I know and the predictions I would tend to make as based on the facts of the past... so no, sorry, I do not think choosing to call it selfishness should come into play, especially when considerint the subject at hand...

And as for Evlar's 3 monkeys... quite funny but quite rude all the same (I hope it is not representative of anything relating to the potential chemistry such a new shard might evoke).

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Several of us have even stated in this thread that there are true 'dollars-and-cents, time, and logic' -based reasons as to why we use 'resources' as the/a primary reason for thinking it may not be a good idea for UO.
I think I covered this...

They are afraid...They are afraid that the developers will devote time and effort towards something other than the 'gimme, gimme, gimme' item based expansions ushered in by AoS.
The ONLY arguments that I have heard against a Classic Shard revolve completely around FEAR.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

And as for Evlar's 3 monkeys... quite funny but quite rude all the same (I hope it is not representative of anything relating to the potential chemistry such a new shard might evoke).
Equally rude.

Thank you.

A

AesSedai

Several of us have even stated in this thread that there are true 'dollars-and-cents, time, and logic' -based reasons as to why we use 'resources' as the/a primary reason for thinking it may not be a good idea for UO.

They are afraid...They are afraid that the developers will devote time and effort towards something other than the 'gimme, gimme, gimme' item based expansions ushered in by AoS.
The ONLY arguments that I have heard against a Classic Shard revolve completely around FEAR.
- No, I don't think you have the gist of it yet; and I know you don't get my gist, yet.
That truly did not cover any of my quote; and fear certainly did not come into play when I came to my conclusion.

No worries, just think about reasons other than fear and selfishness in regards to why I have stated that I, for one, do not believe this to be beneficial to UO, at this time (nor in the near future).
:)
Nothing personal.

A

AesSedai

Equally rude.

Thank you.
- Aye, do keep in mind: this isn't my cause; and surely I wasn't more rude than what was already here.
I tend to try to be more diplomatic when I want something implemented in UO.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mind blast was hardly broken during UOR. If you invested in mildly balanced stats it would stop you from getting killed, even with no resist (which my main PvP character had exactly 0 of). All that it did was punish twink stat builds. You're over exaggerating the power of the spell by a lot.

Edit: 95 str, 90 dex, 40 int for my stats

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. Still waiting for anyone from the pro-Classic shard side to post some numbers on cost and duration.

Kaivan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What did you run with?
Good luck ever getting 2 spells to drop that kind of damage, even on someone with 0 resist. The statistics are highly unlikely against it, and its astronomically unlikely at GM resist.

Also, 2 hits against UO:R dexer was only a likely event in the case of the lumberjack that was using higher end weapons. Given that, I've agreed that lumberjacking was ill thought out and should have been more tame. In all other cases, dying in 2 hits is even more unlikely than dying to a 2 spell combo at GM resist.
No smart dexer ever ran 100 dex, because that was being foolish. Also, GM resist cut that damage down by half at least 50% of the time, so it was relatively useless.
There's no need to even refute this situation because the above situations that proceed to this conclusion are already ridiculous.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Still waiting for anyone from the pro-Classic shard side to post some numbers on cost and duration.
Once again...not possible.

There is no way for you, or I, to know what the realistic cost, or timeframe, of this project would be without further input from the devs.

Yet...you claim to know exactly how long it would take.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

What did you run with?

Obviously you didn't read my post very well. I acknowledged the fact that I would get killed by a real pvper. I balanced my stats at 75 because on Great Lakes there was a rampant problem of 1 trick pony gankers (Mind-blast spamers) who fell to pieces when their I Win button didn't work. I would mow through them while they continually tried to spam MB and call me a hacker. Yeah I chugged a lot of pots, but is that a bad thing? I never thought it was, no such thing as a fair fight.

My spec was
100 Swords
100 Tactics
100 Healing
100 Anatomy
100 Parry
100 Resist
60 Hiding
40 Magery (no fizzle recall off of scrolls)

I think that character is now some form of craptastic AoS Chivalry spec. I hate myself for actually giving AoS a chance then, I feel even worse that once my download is finished I'm going to do a 14day trial see how things are going now so I can better articulate why exactly I hate what AoS has done to the game.

A

AesSedai

and I know you don't get my gist, yet.
That truly did not cover any of my quote
And let's hope I never do.

Oh wait, I thought you said something else.

Either way...no thanks.
- As serious-ly?
omgosh
read. esp. this. and comprehend; do not attack me, but feel free to attack my idea (and please read and try better to comprehend them, if you want to cognitively respond to my premise. ~~ Focus on the important points, please~~). Just don't selfishly fear important points. Life is complicated. Aye, it is strife with difficulties. Sometimes dividing does not multiply.

C

Coragin

OMG 2k posts about this? I didnt read one of them, just the title. There is a reason many people quit in the T2A era, myself included. You were doing the same darn thing, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over AGAIN!

A classic shard is a good idea now since you dont have one. But, when you do the novelty WILL wear off. Everquest made a classic server, it was a complete FLOP. A classic server will not bring back old players, maybe a few, but not enough to justify the costs. The only thing that would be remotely good about a classic server would be pvp. Besides that, it would suck. No malas, no Jap lands, no SA, hell probably only the original T2A not even there.

The only way I would even look at a shard like that would be to laugh. PROGRESS not REGRESS! If you want classic go freeshard there are tons that are well maintained or just dont use newer gear, wear regular execeptional plate, leather ect. Dont use any slayer weapons except maybe undead. Use weapons that are exceptional from a smith with no arms lore.

Classic shard has to be the stupidest idea and waste of resources I have ever heard of. Yes devs please stop working on the current problems in the game like factions and every other bug and allow us to turn back the hands of time. Should we be required to use a 56k modem too? maybe a 250mhz processor? 128mb of ram?

Please tell me this is some kind of pipe dream and its not actually being considered. With all the crap wrong with the game now I would be PISSED to find out money and dev team hours were being spent on something so utterly stupid.

All I want to know is who is the ****** who though this is a good idea? Who is the complete moron who thought this ******** idea up and got a 2k post thread about it? Devs honestly this is the dumbest thing you could possibly do. You want more clients? Paying clients? ADVERTISE! This wont bring any old players back for any extended period of time, they might come back play a month or two and remember how utterly boring and monotonus the game once was! Woooo level 4 shame and hythloth! Mages wearing full plate and wielding halberds!

Do this and I expect

1. T2A era pre-notorioty patch (when you could go red just from snooping, aggressive mobs were red)
2. No stable limit
3. No lock downs or secures
4. No "I ban thee" keys only
5. No insurance
6. One hit kill x-bows (yes they existed) Killed players in one hit, monsters were killed in one hit or two tops.
7. Random moongate travel
8. Chaos v Order
10. Reactive armor + blade spirits
11. Tab+Tab Hide
12. No I repeat NO vet rewards
13. No newer skills, no 120 700 skill cap period.
14. House deeds
15. Monsters wont cast unless damaged first
16. Provoke through walls.
17. Chests stop monsters, as do orange boxes
18. Trapping monsters in your house.
19. Monsters traveling through gates.
20. guild deeds
21. no malas or any new lands past t2a.
22. continously feed a pet for 10 minutes and it instantly bonds.
23. No champ spawns
24. No arties of any kind.
25. no rares.
26. did i mention no lock downs/secures?
27. All magery spells reverted to their original state.
28. No chiv, necro, focus, med, myst, spellweaving
29. Magery dmg is not dependent on eval int.
30. no blood elementals
31. no monster drops more than 400gp
32. players only start with 100gp
33. house prices put back up to their original price.
34. no slayer/silver weapons
35. No new craftables, including golems.
36. Walking through fire fields raises magic resist.
37. Spirit Speak only allows you to talk to ghosts, not see them.
38. No soul stones
39. No new housing, old housing only, bring tents back.
40. 100 max in any stat.
41. no more dmg numbers.
42. no bag of sending, no solon hive.

Yep thinking about classic did suck....

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

- No quick wit, I meant strife. Read ;)
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G2y8Sx4B2Sk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G2y8Sx4B2Sk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rife

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...The only way I would even look at a shard like that would be to laugh...

Classic shard has to be the stupidest idea and waste of resources I have ever heard of. ...

Please tell me this is some kind of pipe dream and its not actually being considered. With all the crap wrong with the game now I would be PISSED to find out money and dev team hours were being spent on something so utterly stupid.

All I want to know is who is the ****** who though this is a good idea? Who is the complete moron who thought this ******** idea up and got a 2k post thread about it? Devs honestly this is the dumbest thing you could possibly do. You want more clients? Paying clients? ADVERTISE! This wont bring any old players back for any extended period of time, they might come back play a month or two and remember how utterly boring and monotonus the game once was! Woooo level 4 shame and hythloth! Mages wearing full plate and wielding halberds!

Do this and I expect ...
Ouch. :gee:

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

BTW...sorry to be such a smart-arse, but when I was in high school, I had an art teacher that routinely butchered the English language. One day in class, the teacher said something about the "Nordern" lights (his pronunciation). This guy in my class...Mike...immediately raised his hand, not even looking up from taking notes. The teacher called upon him, saying "Yes, Mike?". His response "Mr. McClairen?...How do you spell "nordern"?"

:lol:

Needless to say, I laughed and laughed!

Since then, I cannot pass up a chance to call someone on things like that...even though I often misspell and misuse many words.

It's a curse I tell you! A curse!! :lol:

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I would be PISSED

All I want to know is who is the ****** who though this is a good idea? Who is the complete moron who thought this ******** idea up
So...are we really allowed to post things like this here?

FYI Coragin...you are doing your cause no good using terms like these.

BTW...if these types of terms are acceptable...please let me know, because I have about 3 dozen posts all ready to go for a select few "individuals" here.

Status
Not open for further replies.