• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic Map revamp

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please revamp the map in the classic client. It shouldn't be too hard. Allowing to resize rescale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"It shouldn't be too hard"

--every non programmer ever
I suppose people just gather that as there is enough time to create daft unicorns with multi coloured tails and spider ethies and copious amounts of other pixle crack it couldn't hurt to devote a bit of time to actually making some UI improvements in the REAL Ultima Online Client.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure they will sort the map out after they have increased the size of the game play window like they mentioned in the newsletter before.

Oh yeah, I wonder how that is coming along.....

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I suppose people just gather that as there is enough time to create daft unicorns with multi coloured tails and spider ethies and copious amounts of other pixle crack it couldn't hurt to devote a bit of time to actually making some UI improvements in the REAL Ultima Online Client.
While I agree, I imagine they have one artist that just does art for DAoC and UO and probably doesn't do coding. So the pixel crack I don't see as the problem. And I think he's not into drawing up stuff for UO that much lol. "Hmmmm I think I need to make this LARGER! Much LARGER!". What we need is players and I've been won over to the F2P idea. If they couldn't own housing with a free account it might be a good way to draw people in. What would actually happen is current players would make 15 accounts just to get gifts though lol

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will see your 15 and raise you 5...

But for 29th anniversary what would be great is if they made ONE (1) and only one client, a smooth, functioning, nice looking easy to use client that works straight out of the box without having to have UOA or mods or anything (I know, pipe dream, right?). And maybe ADVERTISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I know, another pipe dream, right?)

So let the cheerleaders come out now and tell us how that can't be done, old code, spaghetti, etc...even tho they can code in stuff like the Kotls and seem to have little trouble coding in what they 'want' to code in. Old code...

Always makes me thing of a phrase in Hotel California..."we haven't had that coding here since nineteen ninety nine" :wall:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I agree, I imagine they have one artist that just does art for DAoC and UO and probably doesn't do coding. So the pixel crack I don't see as the problem. And I think he's not into drawing up stuff for UO that much lol. "Hmmmm I think I need to make this LARGER! Much LARGER!". What we need is players and I've been won over to the F2P idea. If they couldn't own housing with a free account it might be a good way to draw people in. What would actually happen is current players would make 15 accounts just to get gifts though lol

F2P lol, can you imagine the multiboxing at events if some of these guys could make free accounts...what a nightmare

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, you will know we are done for if they let this 20th anni pass like all the others, with a whimper and a nap. And ugly-ass spiders and rainbow unicorns aint gonna be enough...need some ads, cheaper mythic tokens (for skills) perhaps longer trial runs (maybe 2 months-allow housing but make em fall after 2 months if the account hasn't been converted to pay to play).

Game time cards in stores with a picture of UO on the front (make em a limited edition 20th anni gamecode, different graphics for several of them, could be collectables). I understand this might need some coordination with Origin/EA, but if those talks started now, might be able to have something done and on the shelf in time for 20th.

I limited run of cds...with maps etc, on the shelf, in GameStop or Walmart or Target or whoever would carry em.

Release another boxed set of ALL the Ultimas...playable on modern systems...might get someone into the lore and lure them into online =)

Reactions: Tia

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I know, but I'd put up with about anything to get some actual new or returning players back in the game.
Why would they come back? They can do pretty much all the same stuff on free shards? I honestly can't see a way for a f2p shift for UO to do anything without making the current exploitative nature present worse. It all goes back to what I said in a different thread, until they stop scripting, multi-boxing, and other dubious activities they are just spinning their wheels while the game continually slides into the abyss. Ignoring, fundamental problems now and trying to cover them up with half-hearted answers in favor of a move towards a meaningless player count (Free Players aren't funding the game) is basically equivalent to a used car dealer packing the rear differential in a vehicle with sawdust, it might quiet the noise for a while but before long the entire thing will fall apart leaving a bigger problem.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make it so the Endless Journey players can't get EM event items. Without that incentive there will be less exploitive accounts.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure they will sort the map out after they have increased the size of the game play window like they mentioned in the newsletter before.

Oh yeah, I wonder how that is coming along.....
You do know, that this hasn't been mentioned in the latest newsletter from Dec. 14th?
Some people could interpret that, of how it is coming along :p

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You do know, that this hasn't been mentioned in the latest newsletter from Dec. 14th?
Some people could interpret that, of how it is coming along :p
Bleak has been "looking into it" for years. To me this says "We'll string you along until it becomes painfully obvious the answer is no and lying about it becomes less convenient."

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bleak has been "looking into it" for years. To me this says "We'll string you along until it becomes painfully obvious the answer is no and lying about it becomes less convenient."
Of course this would never really happen right?.... *high res art update* ... no, never...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course this would never really happen right?.... *high res art update* ... no, never...
Or the carrot of lies Calvin Crowner kept maliciously dangling in front of the "Classic Sharders."

Never, ever... o.0

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't blame Calvin Crowner for what went on during his shift...we all know who was running things even then.
It was obvious on ever video when someone would ask a questioin and he would look at Messana for permission to answer LOL.

Meltedmantis

Adventurer
I don't think everything that you are assuming ( without reason ) that should be quick and easy, actually is. Iv been in a start up for the last 5 years as a programmer, and we basically just run on a treadmill getting no where because the person with the money always wants new "quick and easy" fixes and feature addition.

What I am trying to say if the devs took advice on what should be done by everyone that thinks they know... because reasons never said, nothing would ever get done.

Would it be nice to have this done? Probably, I use EC ( I know EC isn't a real scotsmen, right?)
But is it worth let's say 4 months of tweaks and labor to get it to work? Maybe not.

That's closer to the real kinds of choices that must be made. Just because you assert something "should be easy" does not mean that it is.

let's think about the kind of system tweaks that could possibly be needed in order for a change like this to occur.

1. Resizeable windows. Do these exist within the classic client? I don't think so. So step one, we already have another change/feature that has to be implemented.

2. Scaling art within classic client. Can the classic client scale the way EC does with the map from small to large? no. How will this be handled in Classic?
The classic client can't even scale the game window.

So already before have even got to the actual change your asking for we have determined with no real working knowledge of the system that OTHER changes would also have to be put in place first. In reality there is going to be many more added steps.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't blame Calvin Crowner for what went on during his shift...we all know who was running things even then.
It was obvious on ever video when someone would ask a questioin and he would look at Messana for permission to answer LOL.
He is just as much to blame for allowing Mesanna to play games with the community during those videos as she is. Her ridiculous desire for NSA level secrecy for a 20yo MMO means the buzz level remains pitifully low.

But he is totally to blame for the classic shard debacle, since he's the one who fed the trolls after midnight to begin with. If Draconi hadn't waded into that thread and told the truth, it probably would have drug on for many more months. I find it rather telling that the old group of mods removed his post any that quoted it...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like this idea. I'm a CC user and the current map sucks.
It does, but like someone mentioned there are utilities to help with that like UO Mapper, UO Cartographer, and UOAM. If I'm not mistaken the guys over at Knuckleheads were looking at doing map server hosting for guilds etc...

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I may be wrong but did t they put out within the last year that they were only doing minimal support for the CC...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's all art. No development time goes to adding new art, they just add it in.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let the cheerleaders come out now and tell us how that can't be done, old code, spaghetti, etc...even tho they can code in stuff like the Kotls and seem to have little trouble coding in what they 'want' to code in. Old code...
It could be done, but it would require more people and time that would be anywhere near worth it. I think we just have to accept that.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
That's all art. No development time goes to adding new art, they just add it in.
It's not all just art. There needs to be code on the server side to manipulate it.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
People can argue that most of the player base doesn't know what goes into coding an old game. That's fair. But it doesn't take away from the fact that QoL features like those mentioned above shouldn't be addressed. I really wish @Bleak would give us an update on the window resizing in CC. I feel like its been quite a while since he was supposed to investigate this...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may be wrong but did t they put out within the last year that they were only doing minimal support for the CC...
Yes. They said they will continue to support it and that was all. It was during the "spam spam humbug" podcast.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes. They said they will continue to support it and that was all. It was during the "spam spam humbug" podcast.
Minimal support for the CC?!?!?! and they aren't doing anything for the EC?!?! Then what the hell are they supporting other than pansy colored unicorns and scripters?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna I just want the larger window so I don't have to use insanely low resolutions. Pretty please with sugar on top?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A new mount like the rainbow is like using Photoshop to recolor a single picture that already exists.
Recoding a fundamental part of the client is like drawing and coloring a 90 minute animation from scratch.

Trying to equate the two as being the same level of work is a sign of something - whether it's ignorance, dishonesty, or mental illness, depends on the person doing the false equivalency.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not all just art. There needs to be code on the server side to manipulate it.
But it's not new code, it's just a new implementation of an already existing system. Mounts all work the same, the only difference is in stats and appearance. Other things like deco, same deal.

Sure someone has to sit down and add it into the game, but it's not like developing something new. Certainly not taking any time away from any actual development.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
Re resizing: StretchBlt has been in Windows at least since Windows 95.

While we're fixing the the classic client, if you play fullscreen, count how many times the classic client changes screen modes back and forth before you actually start playing with a character. It would take one variable to keep track of "it's already in the right mode, so don't change modes."

...and also, we should have different levels of logging out: to change characters on the same shard (don't need to retype password), to change shards (don't need to retype password), and to end the session altogether.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re resizing: StretchBlt has been in Windows at least since Windows 95.
It's actually much more simple than that. The surface they're drawing on to can be resized quite easily to include more viewable area. I've done it many times by editing the client memory directly (and have even written an application to do it for my own use -- can't distribute without bringing down their wrath, though).

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Allow me to reiterate - they aren't fixing any of it easy or not. Their words not mine. Ask all you want but the ship has sailed...

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am hoping that they can make the EC as good as the CC in all aspects (whatever is still missing in EC that is available on CC).

When playing pvp, I have friends asking me to download UOAM and setup all my macros again in CC. But I have already completely migrated to the EC.

It's the same game but yet 2 players using different client can't cooperate optimally. I can see him in my EC map but he can't see me.

Also, we noted that there are speed hack software used for CC? Those PKs from Japan shard seemed to be using them... they are not so good in pvp but yet legendary runners... run so fast and we can't run away from them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am hoping that they can make the EC as good as the CC in all aspects (whatever is still missing in EC that is available on CC).

When playing pvp, I have friends asking me to download UOAM and setup all my macros again in CC. But I have already completely migrated to the EC.

It's the same game but yet 2 players using different client can't cooperate optimally. I can see him in my EC map but he can't see me.

Also, we noted that there are speed hack software used for CC? Those PKs from Japan shard seemed to be using them... they are not so good in pvp but yet legendary runners... run so fast and we can't run away from them...

Sorry wanted to add, if we all stick with one client, the Dev would just need to focus on one instead of spreading the time between CC and EC.

I suppose this would make EC much better... it still has a lot of bugs, lol.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

EC and CC users can both use UOCartographer and see each other on map.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
EC and CC users can both use UOCartographer and see each other on map.
Thanks and noted... that will be great. I still feel that the EC is the way to go, to attract new generation of players etc, hopefully with even better graphic in future.

I don't think I will quit but we are all mortals and no longer young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would they come back? They can do pretty much all the same stuff on free shards? I honestly can't see a way for a f2p shift for UO to do anything without making the current exploitative nature present worse. It all goes back to what I said in a different thread, until they stop scripting, multi-boxing, and other dubious activities they are just spinning their wheels while the game continually slides into the abyss. Ignoring, fundamental problems now and trying to cover them up with half-hearted answers in favor of a move towards a meaningless player count (Free Players aren't funding the game) is basically equivalent to a used car dealer packing the rear differential in a vehicle with sawdust, it might quiet the noise for a while but before long the entire thing will fall apart leaving a bigger problem.
Whilst I agree generally with what you are saying here, the bit below isnt correct ...

(Free Players aren't funding the game)
Some games have no subscription model at all and are essentially full of 'free players'. those free players (or a large enough portion of them) do fund the game through micropayments and shop cosmetics.