• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic Map revamp

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
CC graphics with EC functionality would be best.
Disagree. Unless you consider everything being animated in 2.5D like the EC while keeping the look of the CC sprites to be CC graphics. Full sprite based just is way too jittery to go back to.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Disagree. Unless you consider everything being animated in 2.5D like the EC while keeping the look of the CC sprites to be CC graphics. Full sprite based just is way too jittery to go back to.
Everything in the EC, aside from the terrain and particle effects is sprite-based.

Enziet

Journeyman
If you press Alt + R you can choose between a small and medium sized game radar. I am pretty sure the game was intended to use maps for map purposes and not the game radar, until the EC came along and destroyed that idea

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no reason in the world, other than pure obstinance, why the devs cannot give us an official UOautomap.. Might be as a separate utility, but an official one, that is plug and play and works.

I've tried UOMapper, cartographer, the patched up fixed up automap, and cannot get any of them to work for me like the old automap did. Once again, the question screams to be asked, WHY CAN PLAYERS MAKE STUFF, BUT THE DEVS SAY IT IS TOO DIFFICULT TO MESS WITH THE CODE FOR THEM TO MAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A nicely done automap from BS would tickle some of us a lot more than any crap they can possibly toss into Eodon...

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
So far I find the EC map very useful, basically I know where my party members are, I can look at every other maps while sitting in the bank, each dungeon or town have markers showing the points of interest, NPC vendor, stairs, teleport, etc... what else is missing?

We know the Dev's resources are limited and they can only do so much in 365 days... which is the best option for them in the Long run to optimise the time and yet produce the best result to attract new players at the same time?

I think the CC is really a 20-year old system. If we complain about having so many interfaces, external plugins, and confusing for new players, why can't we all agree that the integrated EC is the way to go and the Dev should focus on that.

Assuming they have only 2 man months to spare for the client development in 2017, do we want them to spend 1 month CC and 1 month EC, or just use the 2 months and come up with something solid...

I also used CC before and after trying out EC I never wanted to go back really. Just the Swamp Dragon graphics alone, it was commented like 10 years ago that it looked like a Sausage, while the EC Swampy looks so much better. The hot bar is definitely a modern feature. I don't have anything that I would miss from CC after I moved to EC, but I feel so handicapped when switching from EC to CC. My son would never have played in CC either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So far I find the EC map very useful, basically I know where my party members are, I can look at every other maps while sitting in the bank, each dungeon or town have markers showing the points of interest, NPC vendor, stairs, teleport, etc... what else is missing?

We know the Dev's resources are limited and they can only do so much in 365 days... which is the best option for them in the Long run to optimise the time and yet produce the best result to attract new players at the same time?

I think the CC is really a 20-year old system. If we complain about having so many interfaces, external plugins, and confusing for new players, why can't we all agree that the integrated EC is the way to go and the Dev should focus on that.

Assuming they have only 2 man months to spare for the client development in 2017, do we want them to spend 1 month CC and 1 month EC, or just use the 2 months and come up with something solid...

I also used CC before and after trying out EC I never wanted to go back really. Just the Swamp Dragon graphics alone, it was commented like 10 years ago that it looked like a Sausage, while the EC Swampy looks so much better. The hot bar is definitely a modern feature. I don't have anything that I would miss from CC after I moved to EC, but I feel so handicapped when switching from EC to CC. My son would never have played in CC either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
While I agree with you ... I really wish they would do something to make the poor EC Hiryu look more like it has actual feathers and less like some sort of plucked chicken.

I'd also like to be able to see the colors of dragons... and such.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everything in the EC, aside from the terrain and particle effects is sprite-based.
Fine then, just not ****ty ones like the classic client. Need to be fully animated. I like the style of classic client but it's unbearable to actually play.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
While I agree with you ... I really wish they would do something to make the poor EC Hiryu look more like it has actual feathers and less like some sort of plucked chicken.

I'd also like to be able to see the colors of dragons... and such.
Lol, I didn't notice it looks like a plucked chicken until you said so. I actually like the tail of the EC hiryu, while CC hiryu looks like a F16 fighter jet with the wings sticking out sideways.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no reason in the world, other than pure obstinance, why the devs cannot give us an official UOautomap.. Might be as a separate utility, but an official one, that is plug and play and works.

I've tried UOMapper, cartographer, the patched up fixed up automap, and cannot get any of them to work for me like the old automap did. Once again, the question screams to be asked, WHY CAN PLAYERS MAKE STUFF, BUT THE DEVS SAY IT IS TOO DIFFICULT TO MESS WITH THE CODE FOR THEM TO MAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A nicely done automap from BS would tickle some of us a lot more than any crap they can possibly toss into Eodon...
@Uriah Heep , I'm constantly updating the setup guide for UOCartographer - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia as my guild mates find new and ******** ways of screwing up their setup, please can you try this setup guide then advise of what the issue is and i'm sure I can assist.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well I'm not in any way condoning it, and i don't use them myself but there are other free non legal equivalents to UOAssist that nobody has ever been punished for using.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all know that any worthwhile changes to the cc are only possible on free shards, and i've never played one but that's the rumor.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all know that any worthwhile changes to the cc are only possible on free shards, and i've never played one but that's the rumor.
And that's been the issue all along. the kids in teh basement can make the CC sing....the paid programmers always mumble about old code, cant be done, lack of time, impossible, if we do it it will use too many puter resources, we have heard it all.

Maybe we should start paying the kids in the basement?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And that's been the issue all along. the kids in teh basement can make the CC sing....the paid programmers always mumble about old code, cant be done, lack of time, impossible, if we do it it will use too many puter resources, we have heard it all.

Maybe we should start paying the kids in the basement?
I wish we would

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've tried UOMapper, cartographer, the patched up fixed up automap, and cannot get any of them to work for me like the old automap did.
what do you mean you can't get automap to work like it used to - my fixed up version works exactly like it used to - what part isn't working for you

as the official "automap guy", i'll go out of my way to give you individualized ass siiiis stance with your "problems" - hehe

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
my fixed up version works exactly like it used to
I can't get mine to work if UO Assist isn't opened... also do you have a version that shows the houses like it used to?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if map revamp (which I want) make sure to put party members icons on the map

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems I may end up having to get UOA...or a reasonable facsimile thereof

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
F2P lol, can you imagine the multiboxing at events if some of these guys could make free accounts...what a nightmare
FTP while connecting through Steam. To a shard named Steam. The only restriction is you cannot transfer on to the shard but can off. You must be paying in order to transfer. It would actually be pretty win win. They could start a UO Economy fresh. A lot of veterans would make characters over there.

I'd say drop resource gathering to 1/2 if you aren't a paid sub and you can only mine Iron to Agapite. Lumberjack Regular to Yew.

You can not participate in BODs

Regulated to 10x10 housing max.

Veteran status doesn't age.

Decreased skill gain by 1.2 if not sub

It would just need to filed over completely to make the game playable, and not leave ftp players at a massive disadvantage.

Meltedmantis

Adventurer
that sounds a bit to close to "pay to win" for my tastes> If we ever go down the f2p road, it really needs to be done right, and not because of arbitrary feelings of "now is the time".

"A lot of veterans would make characters over there. "

"You can not participate in BODs

Regulated to 10x10 housing max.

Veteran status doesn't age.

Decreased skill gain by 1.2 if not sub"

So why would vets make chars there again?

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To manually calibrate without UOAssist running:
(and make sure you run AutoMap as administrator)

Type Papua Mint into a crystal portal - don't move
Goto menu "UO / Calibrate" (when the map is NOT in borderless mode - you switch back and forth from border to borderless by double clicking the map itself)
Pick the lost lands and input: 2 . 32' S 18 . 21' W

Last edited:

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Kyronix -- are we finally gonna get a larger CC window?????? if so we can be friends irl..... not being weird or anything am i....?

Enziet

Journeyman
There is a client patch floating around out there that makes the CC run at higher than 5fps. Omg it looks so nice playing the preferred CC with smooth game play (hint for a future patch)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can we also look into adding the auto navigate around obstacles feature to the CC as well?
I think they should add that as soon as they add the "follow" command to the EC.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what do you mean you can't get automap to work like it used to - my fixed up version works exactly like it used to - what part isn't working for you

as the official "automap guy", i'll go out of my way to give you individualized ass siiiis stance with your "problems" - hehe
Score! thanks Kojak!

Tia

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO could last many many more years, however the devs really do need to put the game back out in the stores for the now newer generation..
Also they should put it onto the steam platform that would definitely bring in tons more players
I really cant understand why the devs arent doing this UO is not dead and neither do we want it to die..
It really could be great and thriving again....
They could totally re populate the game and be making loads of money, or are they so rich they dont need it lol?
Come on devs put this game back out there like when it first started in the shops, and add it to the steam platform
and watch those $$$$$$ roll in
Long live UO i say :banana:

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
UO could last many many more years, however the devs really do need to put the game back out in the stores for the now newer generation..
Also they should put it onto the steam platform that would definitely bring in tons more players
I really cant understand why the devs arent doing this UO is not dead and neither do we want it to die..
It really could be great and thriving again....
They could totally re populate the game and be making loads of money, or are they so rich they dont need it lol?
Come on devs put this game back out there like when it first started in the shops, and add it to the steam platform
and watch those $$$$$$ roll in
Long live UO i say :banana:
Yeah would be great - Although I think the problem is not with the devs, but with EA. And I seem to remember having read somewhere that EA also is the reason UO is not going on steam.
Unfortunately I dont think more players in UO would bring more money to broadsword, but EA just cash in at the end.

But it would be interesting to know how the economy of broadsword is. If they have a fixed budget, or if they are getting paid per active player/account whatever.

But still very much looking forward to the next newsletter now! :)

Reactions: Tia

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Problem, Automap has died on me. I can't make it calibrate, using the instructions above. What changed, what did I miss?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If no one else is having issues, no biggie, I can live without. I just thought there had been a change I missed. weird, it ran great for a long time then poof lol

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
did you remember to change the dropdown to "the lost lands" before you entered the coordinates?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep
Go to crystal say Papua mint
UO/Calibrate Lost land 2-32S 18-21W

Get the message "calibration failed, character may have moved or client may have been closed" or something like that

All while running as admin

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
To manually calibrate without UOAssist running:
(and make sure you run AutoMap as administrator)

Type Papua Mint into a crystal portal - don't move
Goto menu "UO / Calibrate" (when the map is NOT in borderless mode - you switch back and forth from border to borderless by double clicking the map itself)
Pick the lost lands and input: 2 . 32' S 18 . 21' W
Just reposted this for a friend to see